What's the consensus on WSL? Do you guys use it?

What's the consensus on WSL? Do you guys use it?

Attached: store.png (1593x1060, 310K)

I use it to compile c++ on windows for my college assignments without annoyance of installing the bloated pig that is Visual Studio

Pengwin is the best WSL distro if you have to use Windows

way too many stupid edgecasses that allow the entire concept to fall flat on its face. basic shit like GCC paths, or even Tmux mouse/select mode just fail to function to usable standard.

maybe one day.

I use it just for code college assignments on vim. And I was pretty curios on Windows X Server so I installed it and werks pretty well on my machine but I mostly use just the terminal.

Attached: 1566063762651.gif (128x128, 151K)

nope, I don't use windows.

Yes and I love it, especially since the latest VSC update.

I always install it but end up never using it. I do my programming in Visual Studio.

Is there a way to make it run not under cmd.exe?
The whole enter to copy, right click paste thing is annoying

What? I'm not sure I get what you mean. You can use it in powershell as well.. just type in "bash.exe"

yes I use it kali with tmux is my favorite

Attached: 1565849618164.jpg (1182x754, 52K)

Tried it, it's shit.

Also, it's not Linux. It contains no code of Linux.

Right, I've just been launching "Ubuntu" from the start menu

Not sure what you mean, it's just an app? Just search for it in windows search, no need to start cmd

>Not linux
It literally is though, they shipped the kernel in the windows build

Dont 404!

I dual boot win10 and Debian. When in win10, all I do is play Vidya, and when I play Vidya I talk via IRC. So I use wsl to run weechat, but that's it.

Buggy garbage with known issues and fixes that will show up months later.

Just use linux you cuck.

wsl1 has slow as shit io and no tmpfs

wsl2 is a glorified vm

based

So at this point its still better just to put linux in a VM?

>replace this thin layer over a working os that has working drivers, working programs
>with shit dat don't work
>for probably one thing you do on your computer
How does "no" grab you, retard?

Depending on how "Linux" you want it to be, yes.
Native speed, immediate access to the Linux FS, not having to do any network config to make an X server work, and not having an arbitrary number of gigabytes locked up for the VHD, keep me on WSL1 though.

Well I'm pretty new to this and linux embedded and firmware looks interesting.

Then go VM.

in other words, you just don't know how to use a build system in windows

it's an app that runs over cmd, you dummy dum

io performance is trash. and forcing hyperv on the host using wsl2 is trash.
so, it's pretty trash.

I am not Indian so I don't use Windows.

>user uses mouse

AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAH

user means it uses the old command prompt as a terminal emulator, even though you start it as a "regular" UWP program

Sure it has its shortcomings but it's super convenient and perfectly functional as far as my particular use cases go. Also you can use VS Code, as installed on Windows, to develop and build within your WSL environment, which is beautiful. Just google "VS Code WSL".

thats wsl2

do you think I will ever be able to run tcpdump on my network card?

This, having a linux build environment on windows is immensely convenient

I use it all the time.
There are some things that don't work and probably never will. Most notably, programs that do low level networking for example. Like Nmap.

Other than that it's really good.
And integrates nicely with VSCode.

>no GPU access
into the trash it goes

Oh that's real cool, thanks bro

I used it to install debian with ssh and rsync so i can backup files to my home network on my draconian work laptop where everything is locked down and monitored and i dont have admin. Shit is so cash, it cant block shit when it’s built in

Yes, but I'd rather not. It doesn't work very well.

shit foundation won't build my house on it.

WSL1 is a useful tool that makes previous iterations of POSIX interfaces on Windows pretty much obsolete.
WSL2 is just a glorified Hyper-V VM running the Linux kernel with every installed distribution in a separate container. It doesn't even share resources like network addresses with the rest of Windows.

The only advantage is that it gives Windows a decent fucking shell, but hell, there are other ways you can get that (mingw, cygwin).

Fuse doesn't work. Interoperability with Windows is shit because of no capitalization in NTFS.
Don't use Windows. Period.

But... why?
VC++ tooling can be downloaded seperate without VS, and GCC, LLVM etc. has native Windows binaries.

Yes, and that's literally what WSL2 is going to be.

This. I've been using emacs on Windows for years without WSL. It remains to be seen why I would bother adding several layers of complexity just to gain a few ms of speed.
>inb4 wtf emacs windows user
You'd be surprised how many of us there are.

It's too slow for me. I can't do my work on it.
Also, my company got memed by McAfee and that fucking thing REALLY slows WSL to a halt.
>Oh, you're upgrading packages?! MCAfee Security Scanner: 94% CPU! (Rest is rest of System)

I use WSL but after using it for a bit I realized just how many command-line tools now have Windows versions (especially in Windows 10). It's a nicer option when you need POSIX compliance.

Some people got memed into thinking that you can't do proper programming on Windows, and that you needed a Unix-like for that. This of course is ridiculous -you're developing on the most used platform out there, your market is 90% of the people with a computer- especially with C/C++, since Visual C++ exists and the Windows API is the most comprehensive and cohesive API out there (you can do a full GUI program using just the Windows SDK and have your exe run on any Windows computer out there with no dependencies). Besides that, you can install compilers and interpreters for literally any language out there, and you can even install a native bash shell and most GNU tools.

But old habits die hard, and most people learn to program using the Linux command line. That's why WSL exists, but I'm not sure why would you want to use that weird shit instead of just using native tools. Maybe for Ruby on Rails, which doesn't work well on Windows.

I just dual boot

What's the fucking point. You get to use the os you need inside a shittier one? Fucking wonderful, why didn't you just use Linux to begin with.

What's a good terminal for it?

The stock, cmd-like sucks and wsltty is just too slow.

Slow as fuck. Use MSYS2 or Cygwin

because linux is shit.

I don't really bother with it. If I need Linux for something I'll use actual Linux on my server.

work forces me to run windows. been upgraded from 7 to 10 last week and my first impression is that WSL is nicer than Cygwin. only issue I had is that I couldn't upgrade the ancient openSUSE version provided to a current one. might have been error on my part, dunno. running debian on it now.

I found mouse mode to be fast as fuck compared to Prefix-O or {} for moving between panes in baddly set layouts. I thank Tmux for being based enough to even give the option

Attached: 1555098308225.jpg (1341x1250, 265K)

I use it for Ruby. It better than a virtual machine, I use it alongside MobaXTerm in order to have an X server so I can play Supertux.

You have no idea what you're talking about 16 yr old faggot

Its not just for compiling retard, how bout shit like rsyncing through ssh on a Cron schedule

I use linux so I don't have to use Windows. Why in god's fucking name, in what fucking scenario would I want to use both at the same time?

Can be perfectly done in Windows retard.

I use it at work. I feel it has some speed issues with file access. Also, windows defender used to go ballistic and hog all the cpu and memory during certain tasks before I disabled it for my project folder

Totally lame, why doesn't Microsoft bundle a containerized plugin for Linux which allows you to run your legacy Windoze apps?

because Linux is shit.

Poor Microsoft, desperately trying to troll when they know Windows is obsolete and fucked.

Because Linux is shit.
I'm not abandoning working hardware and a sane FS for a couple of milliseconds.

You can enjoy that fantasy - but like bedding your anime waifu of choice, know that it's never going to happen.

Not now that it's Hyper-V

Based

Use WSL 2

It's pretty cool but it's a whole major version old which is where 99% of the complaint post are coming from.

Game development, audio production, video production

It's not out yet?

Having sleep/suspend that works reliably on any laptop.

imagine being this brainlet