Esoteric architectures

How could I try building a m68k computer or board or another similar uncommon setting?
Id like to install debian and play with it in a weird and unusual environment.
>emulators
That kills the hobbyist
>raspberri pi
Im looking for something cheaper and less chinked.

Attached: 220px-KL_Motorola_MC68000_CLCC.jpg (220x219, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nm0POwEtiqE
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFls3Q5bBInj_FfNLrV7gGdVtikeGoUc9
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: acer_pica_cpu.jpg (500x375, 42K)

would debian work on an esoteric architecture? Wouldn't you have to compile the kernel from scratch (ie. INSTALL GENTOO)?

Just hack a Sega Genesis

Precompiled Linux kernels exist for pretty much every ISA.

>debian
>on a fucking 68000
just stop while you're ahead. learn about these systems and how people actually used them first.

It's not juat the kernel you need to compile.

>I want a weird/esoteric computer, then I want to install GNU/Linux on it so I can bury it all under 1,000 layers of abstraction to run the same exact operating system and software with the same exact ideas and paradigms as literally every other computer I own, it'll be so cool and unique!
Why does Jow Forums do this? So many people jerk off to esoteric architectures and platforms here but then when they talk about what they actually want to do with them, it's literally just the same exact shit they're already doing in the same exact way but with a different sticker on their computer case.

Attached: 1560976236011.jpg (332x396, 38K)

Yes, you just need the Motorola 68451 MMU besides the CPU. But otherwise nothing is stopping you from running Linux on the 68000.
You're going to have a better time with something like a 68020 or 68030 in terms of performance, specially the later as it has a integrated MMU, so it doesn't sacrifice CPU cycles using it.

Debian has full pre-compiled distros for a variety of architectures.

>waaa stop liking what I don't like

>She doesn't have Linux running on a 8-bit CPU
youtube.com/watch?v=nm0POwEtiqE

It's interesting and fun. Something you lack.

You seem to have missed the point. Esoteric platforms are *very* interesting and fun, that's why it's so puzzling that anyone would want to bury all of that esoteric nature under PeeCee-isms by running the same boring off the shelf operating systems and software you can run twenty times better on a dumpster dived laptop. What are you experiencing? What are you learning?

thanks but I am fully capable of reading wikipedia on my own
this isn't just some shit where you burn an ISO and click through an installer and instantly have an actually useful system that can run screenfetch to your heart's content, even if you got something booting debian/m68k is broken and fossilized as fuck and you're looking at this entirely from the wrong angle, which is why you should do some more research before you start blogposting about projects that are obviously way over your head

This guy gets it.

Attached: 902.jpg (1000x800, 61K)

Hey, that's the PalmPowerups guy. I love the unorthodox way he picked to add more RAM to the AVR.

Kind of a hack to just emulate a 32-bit CPU+MMU on the system though instead of actually kludging it to work on the native architecture, but that in itself is pretty fucking cool.

Attached: board2.jpg (300x266, 29K)

Looked at hardware simulation yet? FPGA using Altera or Xilinx is powerful.

that's just emulation with extra steps

Debian Sid and NetBSD both work on a 68030.

Those esoteric computers' native OSes are basically dead aside from retrogaming or chiptune/trackermod production.

What the are you even doing with esoteric hardware if that concerns you? Get some development tools.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFls3Q5bBInj_FfNLrV7gGdVtikeGoUc9

I've seen NetBSD 68k used productively but I doubt Debian is anything more than a tech demo, it looks totally forgotten. booting and actually doing anything useful are two very different things.

but that wasn't really the point, OP just sounds like a clueless zoomzoom who has no idea what the fuck he's getting himself into