Sql

Can you become an sql developer with just a certification? do you really need a degree to get started? if anyone here is a sql developer, what are your stories?

Attached: deploy-with-scripts-the-ui-or-the-command-line.png (1162x732, 39K)

>certification
please do the needful and poo in loo

>Sql
>Developer
LOL
>Certifications
kek

>sql developer
Are there really full-time jobs where your only task is doing sql shit?

>sql developer
kek

sql was created for managers to do reports on their own. If you can't into it, a cert won't change that either.
the code in your pic is TSQL btw, microshaft's flavor of SQL used with their SQL Server.

They're called database administrators OP and the typical salary in Ireland for one is 65k (euro)

It can pay much much more especially in thr U.S.A. SQL DBA's just manage the databases and SQL "developers" write all the code. Do both make over 6 figures.

Yes, it's called being a Database admin or DBA. SQL isn't as simple as you think, especially when dealing mission critical databases like financial records, payrolls, customer data etc.

as long as you don't start rebuilding indexes during business hours, don't mix different precision datatypes and you're aware of those stupid escalating table locks at >50000 rows, you're fine

>microshaft's flavor of SQL used with their SQL Server.
which is absolute cancer compared to the standard SQL script.

I live in the Midwest US. DBA's here usually pull close to 6 digits, even ones just specializing in SQL

>sql developer
Do you mean DBA? Anyway, to answer your question, I would never let anyone touch my database without extensive knowledge in database theory and relational algebra and normalization, so no.

Serious question, how easy it is it for a German to move to the USA? Right now I would be making at least x3 my current salary, including the costs of healthcare and all that stuff.

I would imagine pretty simple provided you have a degree and can find someone to sponsor your Visa.

I on the other hand am actively trying to move to Germany because the US is a shitshow with healthcare. you don't know how good you have it over there.

>an sql
>an sequel

>you don't know how good you have it over there.
I do see plenty of Americans moving to Germany as well and they tell me about the shitty healthcare. But I thought they were just poor or something and I thought if you were rich enough to afford a premium plan then everything will be daijubo, how wrong am I?

COL in places where you're going to make enough is crazy enough where your net income is going to be higher in Germany.
The insurance industry is a massive shitshow and that causes most of the problems. If you're rich enough you'd probably be alright but I wouldn't count on that.

not aiming for Cali, most likely somewhere in the midwest, or north. not to sound racist but I live in Munich which is quite a safe city and it is traditional and comfy in general so I am looking for a similar experience in the USA with higher standard of living. I think Jow Forums would be place to ask. But thanks for the input.

the thing is you aren't going to find anything like a european city in the US. it's very different here. especially in the midwest or north outside of the NE, you're going to need to own a car and all the costs that go with that as well. your income isn't going to be much higher than it is in Germany right now, especially Munich, and you'll have way more things to spend money on in the US. the only benefit would be cheaper rent/the ability to own a house if you care about that. you'd be looking at Chicago, Kansas City, Minneapolis, St Louis for anything close to standard of living.

>including the costs of healthcare
How unhealthy are you? Seriously, I'm in my 40's and I've been to the doctor once in my entire adult life, and it was a false alarm concerning a tick bite. People make this shit out to be a far bigger problem than it actually is. Let's face it, healthcare or not, if you're unhealthy, you're going to be fucked financially. There's no way around it. Having some sort of government backed system will not reduce the cost of prescriptions, nor will it remove the cost of liability insurances for doctors. Those are the factors that are creating the healthcare problems in the United States. Throwing the government into the middle of it all won't change all of that.

>just don't be sick lol

real big brain idea there bud

yeah. i dunno how either, because SQL is so damn shit and boring to do.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that the average person doesn't need to concern themselves with this healthcare hysteria and many healthy people go to the doctor for no good reason. These people are what drove the insurance prices up in the first place. We aren't living in an era of plagues and deadly diseases anymore. There's millions of idiots who run to the doctor for the most banal shit like athletes foot and the common cold, they're the ones who ruined health insurance for everyone.

I know a "data engineer" who only knows SQL and basic python scripting. Apparently they hand out the engineer title to anyone clown these days.

No. Database admins do way more than SQL. I'd estimate that only 20-30% of my job is SQL stuff, and yes, SQL is very simple.

>How unhealthy are you?
I got psoriasis and I am getting checked for psoriatic arthritis, first results did not look good but my doctor recommended that i get blood work done again in three months to eliminate the possibility of a false positive. If god forbid it turns out to be positive then I will be needing extensive amount of healthcare. In Germany this will not change anything since I pay the same money monthly, don't know how much of a problem it would be in the US though.

Other than that, I am a pretty healthy 28 yo man.

You get most of it with a psych degree. The proper title is "social engineer".

this. sounds like OP wants to scam his way through a bunch of organizations in hopes of turning a livable wage.

pretty much every company that has more than 20 employees?
what the fuck do you think sysadminds do? scratch their balls, repair printers?
have you seen a fucking Oracle database runing for 20 years? i di... the admin printed the tables into a A2 and had like 4 of them, he had the typical two digits employee that inserted wrong data 5 days back and now another 10 persons used that wrongly introduced data so now the admins has to do some magic and somehow revert it while trying to maintain the work done.

What the fuck are you even rambling about FAGGOT kys

seething NEET

What does a DBA do exactly? Sounds interesting.

>what the fuck do you think sysadminds do? scratch their balls, repair printers?
What else do they do? I called some of them down for literally hours to hold some cables for me. They're good guys, but no need to pretend, user.

I'm sure you can tell us what exactly difficult there is, except for fixing values from wrong inputs.

Attached: HorribleSubs_Aho_Girl_04_720p.mkv_snapshot_06.31_2017.07.25_18.10.12.jpg (1280x720, 118K)

>sysadmin running cables
you work for a SMB or your "sysadmin" is a desktop tech
literally administers databases - oracle, sql, mongodb, whatever

Depends what the focus of your company is. If it data heavy and analytics-based then yes, you are probably going to spend most of your time doing work in the database layer (unless you're retarded). That said, nowadays that work is shifting into MPP setups like Spark, but even that has a flavor of SQL.

If you're just making CRUD apps then yeah, probably not.

If you have working experience sure.

Learn to read, idiot. They're holding cables for me, I'm an EE.

experienced sql dev who works for a large enterprise here

is sql a hard language? no
can pretty much anyone learn it? yes
can most people succeed to high level positions with it? no

working with data requires more than just coding skill at the higher levels, because very large companies have a lot of data very spread out, just being able to write queries won't cut it. you need to know the data intimately to be a really good sql dev. without that you'll never break into a 6 figure salary job with sql. oh and no one gives a shit about certifications, like at all

this is true. i also spend the majority of my time writing SQL (senior dev for a large healthcare system). And the difference between somebody who is good at my job vs pajeet isn't typically the SQL aspect, but how good they are at understanding how the data ties into business processes and workflows which can take years. i would rather hire somebody with understanding of my industry and no it experience than hire somebody who has general IT/SQL experience and no industry experience

If you're good at the IT aspects, understand the industry, and are somewhat personable money will be thrown at you. Business people love developers who can speak on their level and understand how that translates into data sets.

spot on fellow user. it's exactly the same in finance

Get into the wrong place and your Data Analyst/Data Scientist role may literally be this if there are a sufficient amount of non-technical people running the show.

You become a guy who pulls numbers and gets yelled at because of the limitations of the data you're given to work with.

t. that guy

>all these people operating without an ORM
disgusting

yes let me just implement it on the many petabytes of data my organization houses

sql is easy why would you need a certification. That's like getting a certification for Microsoft word

not the case anymore with the emergence of big data and data science. i make more money than java devs at my org

Don't listen to the other user, he obviously doesn't have a good job as his insurance wouldn't really be a worry otherwise. I agree it does suck for a lot of people without solid work health insurance though. If you've got solid skills you can come out to the Midwest and make a killing for a number of years(100k$+ easily) and then go back to Germany and have a comfy retirement if desired although the Midwest does grow on you

If you can 3NF you're good to go.