/pcbg/ PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?&v=IhX0fOUYd8Q [Open] [Open]

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600 - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>I7 9700K/I9 9900K - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

GPUs based on current pricing
1080p
>RX 570/580 8GB - Can be found on sale/used for cheap. Look for 570s which are >1240MHz boost
>(GTX 1660TI @ ~$230/Vega56 @ ~$270) - higher fps / more demanding games
>RX 5700 - higher FPS
1440p
>RX 5700 - standard, 75-100FPS+
>RX 5700XT - higher fps (wait for AIB partner availability)
2160p (4K)
>2080Ti - best for 4K but expensive
>Forget 2070S, not the good value proposition it's 1070ti predecessor was

>Navi AIB models come this week. 5700 non-XT blower is alright, due to low power.

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
Previous

Attached: Screenshot_20190813-232726.png (2048x575, 671K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_nitro_xv273k.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=JS9in-RHbjw
youtube.com/watch?v=zuyuS04lD4o
overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/amd_radeon_rx_5700_and_rx_5700_xt_review/13
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

time to install freeBSD

more likely that not you forgot a setting on PSU to turn it on, forgot to turn on the mobo to the power button CORRECTLY or have fireworks expensive enough to be bankrupt till christmas

I just don't know man, AMD apparently sucks but so does 9400f or 9600k due to lack of HT. It seems 8700k or 9900k is the only choice for a versatile CPU.

Attached: 1566091043821.png (1268x673, 207K)

If you want HDR, 4k, and 144hz, then you're gonna have to dish out a lot more than that.

For "true HDR" you want local dimming, which is expensive, like double your budget. The Acer Nitro XV273K seems like a decent monitor if you're willing to ditch HDR, but still have 4k at 144hz. (keep in mind the hdr400 is not meaningful hdr).

tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_nitro_xv273k.htm

tecnically i5 is workable if you can accept microstutters

i7 is the go to now tho. between a 3600x and a i5 9th gen, both are not on the same price tag while amd provides stable FPS, intlel might not provide better FPS to offset microstutter

then theres futureproofing

I'm asking because I ordered some stuff while they were on sale but I won't be able to use/access them until after their 30 day return period
I probably shouldve asked before ordering but being a poorfag, I couldnt pass up on saving a grand total of $27

wat is better

1080p144 or 1440p75?

are they used?

depends on what youre doing with it
if you need a high refresh rate for competitive shit like csgo or whatever then 144 all the way
if you just want enjoyment and high refresh rates arent needed or wont change your experience that much then 1440p75

Trying to put together a budget gaming/streaming pc. I've never done either of these before (building on a budget or trying to stream) so some advice would be helpful, particularly regarding how resource intensive streaming is and whether there's anything special I need to consider for it.

This is what I have so far. I've been aiming for around $600 but this is completely arbitrary so if this is overkill for streaming games that are a couple years old and I could cut the total down some more, please let me know.

Attached: pc.jpg (1184x751, 155K)

is there any point in getting an x570 board? I feel like AM4 is gonna end in 2021 so "muh upgradability" won't matter. (also is an asrock b450m pro4 good for a ryzen 3600? I heard it ships from amazon with updated bios)

How do I pick a motherboard? I'm not really sure how to judge what makes some that much better than others and if paying like $200 for one would be justifiable at all.

From those, 1080p 144hz

INFINITE overclocking happening
youtube.com/watch?v=JS9in-RHbjw

Is it true that an amd nvidia combo is shit for older games?

whats better for futureproofing a 3700x or i7 9700k?

I used this
youtube.com/watch?v=zuyuS04lD4o

Helped me decide.
Personally I'm going with a Asus TUF GAMING X570

what ever works better right now.

>keep in mind the hdr400 is not meaningful hdr

ain't meaningful HDR at like HDR1000?

Why would it be?

For "older" games it doesn't really matter what you run it on, even a first gen Ryzen has great IPC compared to the CPUs of the era when the game came out, the game won't care about multicores and any graphics card under the sun should be able to play it decently.

nope
new focus plus gold (650)
mx500 500gb
LT sport 2x8gb 3200

you should be fine then, admitting they are all compatible and fit in your rig

Convince me to not get a 3700x and a x570 mobo.

Expensive, pointless unless you have an overpowered graphics card at your resolution
If you're not gaming a 2700 is a way better deal

you should get a 3700 non-X and a really strong AiO if it matters

well no, the IPC on 3600 is better, actually going for a 3600 non-x and a bigger gpu makes more sense, but not a 2700

B450 and 3600 would be.cheaper and run 1440p just fine
There isn't much optimized to 4k yet
Save money, a year later everything will be 8k but 1440p will still be the norm
I guarantee it

What part of "if you're not gaming" did you not read, all of it?

Sigh, AMD.. never again

my rig:
r5 3600
asrock b45m steel legend
corsair vengeance (2x8GB) 3200
powercolor rx480 red devil 8gb

can I get 1080 60fps in monster hunter world with ultra setting?

No, need to turn some of the graphics settings down slightly if you're using Vsync
overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/amd_radeon_rx_5700_and_rx_5700_xt_review/13
If you're using Freesync you probably want to turn down a couple of settings but you can get away with almost Ultra. I automatically turn games down to High because Ultra is almost never visually different from High to my eyes. Some settings like shadows look better on medium (depending on game/shadow solution) because they provide the illusion of diffracted light

1440p75

>If you're not gaming
I will be

>you should get a 3700 non-X
Those are available?

After looking at some benchmarks I might consider this. I was going to get an AiB 5700XT if they're really close to $400 so I don't want to bottleneck it.

Anyone have experience overclocking the 1660 that can comment on it?

I've read you can overclock it to stock 1660ti performance, but I'm wary of heat.

my build wont post to bios and has a light saying error with DRAM
what are the chances both sticks are bad?
should i even bother debugging the memory or just return the mobo at this stage?
i don't have another mobo capable of ddr 4 to test the sticks on.

its a fresh build so theyre the only parts Ive bought so far. I already have a plan on what exactly I'll be buying next except for the GPU and monitor, hoping for the best

HT isn't that important if you have 8 cores. 9700k with 8c/8t btfos almost everything. Look at the benchmarks yourself.

Neither really. Both will be obsolete in a couple years. AYYmd for multi thread productive work or 9700k for gaming. I just went 9700k, but still plan to use it for work as the programs I use only use 2-4 cores.

Yes, I use a freesync monitor samsung c22f390

I just hope the Iceborne expansion doesn't make the game more demanding than it is.

AMD wouldn't be as good for higher FPS, but that's really situational. CSGO is better on AMD I guess. The higher clock speed on Intlel is better for 144hz and above generally.

I dont understand why some dont like tech Jesus. Guy seems super laid back, but professional at the same time.

I just have one quick question for the thread.
I'm building a computer with my brother for my nephew's birthday, and we think his current graphics card is compatible with the motherboard we bought, but we want to be sure.
Is the MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDRR5 compatible with a ASRock X570 STEEL LEGEND AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard?
I'm a clueless boomer that's doing this for the first time, so apologies if I'm missing something obvious that would tell me in an instant if we can reuse it or not.

Attached: jet-black.png (384x288, 63K)

Yes, it will compatible.

I'm not. Most X470's and B450's are not as good as the X570's. Try finding a good x470 is possible.

Is the intel 660p SSD total shit? Its one of the cheapest 2TB ssds on the market so im thinking of getting it as a primary drive for a new build.

Of coursse. My 1070ti didn't work with my mobo though but my mobo was p67 from ages ago.

it will die in 3 years.

800*600 600hz

Ah, that's great to hear. Thanks for the prompt reply man.
Yeah, I was a bit nervous that it wouldn't work because his old MB took DDR3 ram and this new one was DDR4, so I thought maybe there might be some weird compatibility issue with a card from a board designed with that in mind going into a more recent one. Really great to hear we're in the clear on it, though.

Figures. Got any SSD recommendations? I need at least 1TB of storage.

>QLC

Does anyone know when the MSI max boards will be available in the US?

Attached: 6vtsw54cksb11.jpg (1080x1036, 93K)

never

No problem, good uncle.

they need to sell X570s
I doubt they will hit the US market and if they do, it wont be for long

pc gaming race twitter was giving one away earlier, so can't be too far off

>Those are available?
No. In a fit of naming retardation the 8c low and high bins are 3700X and 3800X instead.

howdy

on a sidenote, 100% of the 3800X can do 4.2ghz all core at 1.2v, whilst like 15% of 3700X can do that

Based non-shill OP for once, should have a lower tier 4K option though, which the 2070S is fine for.
Not that i'd recommend anyone play at 4K with anything less than a 2080 ti, but a 2070S or anything above will do the job if you reduce some settings.

>100% of the 3800X can do 4.2ghz all core at 1.2v

more like 3900 if you're lucky

What's the next best psu brand after seasonic? the 650 aren't on sale right now.

IF you ignore all the frame stuttering.

nope, look up the silicon lottery stats in pic related

Attached: stats.png (724x505, 20K)

god
video cards are so expensive
the last mid range one i bought was like...
now they are 400
how long is this gonna last?

Attached: elena-sai-993-3.jpg (1920x1316, 394K)

Interesting. 4.2GHz zen 2 = 4.7GHz coffin lake, right?

Forever unless faggots stop giving them money.

fucking miners.
ill have to wait for black friday anyway i guess.
hopefully they come down to 300ish.

Attached: dbb0zjo-1fe029d7-8d3c-47e0-95dd-67369ccddc38 (2).jpg (1500x1500, 1.18M)

Looking into my Cinebench R20 data, single core score divided by core clock is a nice metric

FX = 0.048~0.053
Zen 1 = 0.094~.101
Zen + = 0.103~.110
Zen 2 = 0.115~.118

Core2Quad = 0.050~.053
Gulftown/Clarkdale = 0.060~.063
Sandybridge = 0.073~.076
IvyBridge = 0.075~.081
Haswell = 0.094~.098
Skylake = 0.100~.105
Kabylake = 0.110~.112
Coffeelake = 0.102~0.105
Coffeelake R = 0.104~.107

very interesting to see the slight regression in singlecore score from kaby to coffee, but i suppose that comes from pushing the clocks that much (5ghz 9900k has a ratio of 0.104, while a 4.4ghz 3800X has a ratio of 0.117)

Nice case

>IF you ignore all the frame stuttering
Problem on 4 threaded CPUs, not 8 threaded (yet). I feel bad for those who are willingly paying good money for a 9600K and unlocked motherboard in this day and age though.
Good point, and I'll note that next time I get OP. tbqh I actually think the 2070S isn't a bad value proposition as long as you're absolutely not paying more than $500 for one, at least while AIB partner 5700XTs are still thin in the ground

Can I get some recommendations for SSDs? I need at least 1TB capacity and reasonably high endurance.

Considering buying an rtx 2060 but I think I can wait until a good deal pop up.
What websites do you all use to find good deals? I only know of Slickdeals

Which one would you choose Jow Forums?

Attached: Decisions.png (702x636, 285K)

Anything Samsung Evo 860 or Crucial MX500 is a safe buy, in either M.2 or 2.5" form. Whatever's better value.
Not much point against a 5700.
For that price, probably the Vega IMO

Gee whiz, there really was a sizeable jump from Sandy/Ivy to Haswell. Really thinking it's time for me to retire the old 3930k/RIVE combo

5700 xt but only because i have a kraken g10 and AIO, red dragon otherwise.

>undervolted rx580 from 1150mV to 1100mV
>runs fine for over an hr
>play pubg and then pc instant shuts down
>turn down gpu settings & revert gpu settings to 1150mV
>shuts down instantly again

sounds like a psu issue but it cant be because its a good power supply.
specs: r5 2600, 16gb 3200 ram, etc
psu: seasonic 760w platinum rated
motherboard: biostar a320
gpu: msi armor rx580

event viewer: A problem has occurred with one or more user-mode drivers and the hosting process has been terminated. This may temporarily interrupt your ability to access the devices.

It not really an issue in the vast majority of games.

Opinion here, I still don't think it's worth the price difference between something that'll likely hit 4.1ghz all core to something that'll likely hit 4.25ghz, but it seems you probably agree anyway.

How old is the PSU?
System brownout is always a power issue and can additionally cause red herrings in event viewer because bullshit happens to everything during the brownout condition.

Yeah I'm not planning on watercooling. What a shame.

power supply is 3 months old. i've just changed gpu to my old gtx 660 so i'll see how this goes, that rx 580 was a pile of shit from day 1 anyways.

I have posted the following question:
>> I have a AB350 Pro4, my roommate recently moved in and brought a 4K tv along. I was considering initially a GPU less rig with Ryzen, But considering I Won't have to invest in a screen, I have more budget geared toward the other components. What hardware would you recommend to pair with, in order to play games (like GRIP Combat racing, Redout, F1). @4k(at least)60fps?

And got the following responses:
>>get a rx5700xt, best price perf for you simply because there's no cheaper at that power ranges. expect ~45fps

>>If your TV has the option (I think it's been standard for years now), you can set it to 1:4 pixels and feed it 1080p. The image is still rather sharp, but you obviously gain a lot of frames.

>>Other than that, 4K gaming is still kinda shitty.

So in the end, my question is, what would be recommended recommended hardware to pair with my AB350 Pro4? May I go GPU-less if I want 1080p@60fps for the aforementioned games?

For $210 it's hard to go wrong with the Red Devil Vega anyway. Have a bit of fun tweaking it and enjoy solid price/performance.

What's your minimum to maximum budget? Presuming you can scale the TV down to 1080p, you could just go GPUless with a 2200G APU and save a bit of money, but definitely pair it with good memory. Otherwise go with a 2600 and RX570 and still have an excellent 1080p system for little outlay.

modern games look like shit in 1080p, why would 1440p fix that?

It won't be fixed until you kys

Which b450 / x470 board would you pair with a 3600? I'm trying to decide but it seems like most of them are still having stability issues from what I'm reading. Should I just continue to wait for bios updates? I'm not going to be overclocking if that matters.

Attached: JbOyfAa.png (612x792, 309K)

Would never get a used graphics card nowadays, too risky, considering all the mining going on.

What do you have to spend? Around or under $100, I'd go with an MSI Tomahawk/Mortar and convince myself the "stability issues" are just the vocal minority or a bios update away. But closer to $200 and I'd just go with an X570 Aorus Elite or X570 TUF Gaming.
I would bother with an X470 board unless you can still find a store with Crosshair 7 stock.

What should I upgrade first, my 2400G or my R9 280x?

GodDAMN I FUCKING HATE UPS.
NOTHING BUT THE LAZIEST NIGGERS WORK FOR THAT COMPANY
>at work
>have last parts of PC delivered to friend's house
>time comes for them to come
>bitch just drops off the case and doesn't even knock, immediately power-walks to her van
>friend comes out and yells out to her
>she ignores it and drives off
fucks sake. they had the packages for two days already

>1440p
Meant to type RTX 2070S

The graphics card

Nothing is stop you from launching a UPS competitor. It's a free country.

Up to you, but if you know where you're buying from it's fine. Or if you're getting a good saving on a mining card, it's fine. My current 1080ti I've had for almost a year of which I bought from a dude who kept it in his SFF gaming system since they were first released. As long as you don't have autism, go meet the seller at their place and test the card out.

I wanted to spend around $100 and was looking at the tomahawk. Thanks for reply I'll go with that.

Attached: EAXsHanUYAAv4ZH.jpg (1024x786, 71K)

Is the R9 295x2 a good upgrade or is it a bigger meme now than when it was released?

Do the 5700XTs have good linux driver support?