Today I'm installing Debian with no previous expierence in linux or programming

today I'm installing Debian with no previous expierence in linux or programming
tell me everything I need to know

Attached: 1553246536192.png (615x503, 216K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Follow the directions on the installer and google something on your phone if you don't understand, and you'll be fine

To be honest I'd recommend Ubuntu for a complete beginner, because other beginners use Ubuntu and you can almost always just google any error message you get and find solid forum answers

It's so straightforward, there's nothing to tell you

adn after the installation? what should I get? for example what browser?

next next accept, then use all the installed programs, libreoffice for office stuff and firefox for fuckbook, youtube. if you want gaymen either make sure it runs on linux or dualboot windows

mind telling us why are you doing this?

install gentoo

I want to learn C++ and I heard it's much easier on linux

If you're installing it on a laptop and it doesn't detect your Wi-Fi, try installing one of the "non-free" isos.
Also... you may want to look at the available Desktop Environments first.
However, if it's your first distro you should try something like Zorin OS or Deepin.

oh and I have a thinkpad and Jow Forums spergs out when they hear I have windows installed on i

jeez, what an abomination

deepin kinda looks like macOS, you sure it's the best option?

dont install meme distros, pick old, stable and well stablished ones. dont really bother about the looks, you can change your desktop environment whenver you want with one install command

which one am I suppose to choose for T440s?

Based m@sterchan poster

forgot pic
sorry it's 5 am and my dad got drunk and is now destroying our front door with a knife it's so laud

Attached: chrome_jU3aAgK4kN.png (985x390, 49K)

> deepin kinda looks like macOS
Then you have to check out Elementary OS.
Anyway, most of the "new" users always complain about the looks of the main DEs, and that's were Deepin DE's excels. Also it's based on Debian (not Ubuntu) and you can choose between having a classic "Start" menu like in Windows for your apps and searches or one more similar to GNOME.

Attached: deepin.jpg (749x468, 237K)

amd64

idk looks kinda gay I would rather go with classic linux look so my mom thinks I'm a hacker or something

Then go for it, as long as it fits you it doesn't matter.

Install CDE for classic retro comfy

99% of all Linux distros in use are variants of following parent distro

Debian

Arch

Red hat

Slackware

Open Suse

Gentoo

Android

Basically you are using a specific version of the parent distros with specific software, specific repos and specific desktop environments no matter what you choose. Have fun

so debian itself doesn't come with any desktop enviroment?

come on man, you could look that up so easily

not him but you can still install CDE ? I thought windowmaker is it's replacement

I don't use google or any search engine for that matter
that's what I have Jow Forums for

I did this 2 months ago. Couldn't be happier. I chose the Cinnamon Desktop Environment.

I used a DVD I burned Debian 10 on to do the install.
Problems I encountered: Nvidia graphics card I bought didn't work. Driver installed, but just booted to black. I bought a Radeon card instead. Second, the partition didn't initially work, but that's because I was using a Lenovo motherboard, the BIOS didn't like Debian. I used a boot-fix image flashed onto a USB stick to fix that issue. Then it booted just fine.

If you install, it will ask you which desktop envoirnment you want to install during the process. If you choose none, then you might find a bit of a hard time getting there if it truly is your first install. Suggest to choose a DE during the initial instillation.

It's funny that you think you are special because you want to install Debian... you're not.
If you need to ask a question like:
"adn after the installation? what should I get? for example what browser?" it means that you are mentally retarded and you're iq is non existent.
Use windows or MacOS, linux user wannabe.

suck my big fat cock you amerikan pig

Linux Mint
cinnamon or mate are the best
it makes you more powerful/charming & sexy by using it

Attached: i.png (500x500, 133K)

baste

nothing you really need to know. the setup is simple, and if it gives you the option to encrypt, enable it. i use the latest version of debian with xfce. it's pretty sweet.

U wot m8?

Attached: 8ABBA427-BB24-47FB-8481-4EF02A95F515.jpg (458x257, 37K)

>However, if it's your first distro you should try something like Zorin OS or Deepin.
what kind of advice is this even?

This. XFCE is pretty good too though

Put it on a USB instead of a CD

*an USB, dumb amerimutt.

>an USB
Speaking this out loud just feels wrong.

only backwater shitskins would even consider saying something as horrendous as that. nice try pajeet we know its you.

you ess bee
it starts with a consonant so you say "a", retard

>However, if it's your first distro you should try something like Zorin OS
Holy fuck shut the fuck up and never post on my fucking board again. Anyone unironically using zorin is a complete troglodyte. Never fucking mention that abomination on my board again.

Leave him the fuck alone

neither of these are good reasons, install windows 7

>t. Troglodyte bitch

lol you just got baited xD

i hope u have keyboard, pressing Enter is all u have to do.

Nah don't believe these people. Ubuntu looks simple but it's actually very difficult to manage.

FreeBSD is way more convenient.

Well you can start by installing Sudo, because for some reason it doesn't come with that.

skip straight to automated deproyment in BSD. I berieve in you

You can't use Linux if you have no Red Hat certificate.

Attached: systemd_cert.png (708x919, 793K)

open terminal and enter root with su command
run command
nano /etc/apt-sources.list
to edit your repositories. Add contrib & nonfree repos. Google how
Install sudo & google how to tune it
run command
sudo apt install build-essential
to get c++ environmnt.
Don't trust me. Carefully read about every command you type. There might be something that will break your system that i typed out for fun.
Download text editor of your choice. This might be a good opportunity to learn vim but you can do whatever.
Don't install an IDE if you are a complete beginer. Learn how underlying programs work first, what are compile flags and so on. If you know all this stuff then ignore the rest.

Learn how to navigate folders with terminal
Write code in your editor. Compile with a command
g++ yourprog.cpp -o yourprog.exe
run with
./yourprog.exe
read about basic gcc compile flags.
If you need a project with multiple files learn «make»
If you absolutely need to run program step-by-step like on those fancy IDEs you saw learn «gdb»

>Promoting shitty Ubuntu

The biggest joke about Debian is that the installer uses non-free graphics drivers so you can read it and see what is going on, but on first boot, if your system needs the non-free driver, it can be nearly un-usable, meaning huge blocky fonts that wrap a mile off the screen until you can get the non-free shit fixed.

I guess they know that if they followed their RMS bullshit and used non-free garbage during the install, everyone who needs the non-free driver would say FUCK THIS RETARDED SHIT and bail at the first un-readable screen.

And the point I left out was, IF THEY CAN USE IT DURING INSTALL WHY THE FUCK CAN'T THEY LET ME HAVE IT ON FIRST BOOT?

fucking hypocrites piss me off.

Don't forget to enable full disk encryption during installation. It's very useful and very easy to do with the Debian installer.

go for Kubuntu (it's Debian based)

Which is more stable? Debian or Fedora?

>programming
you dont need it to install things

debian is more stable than fedora. Actually, fedora is pet project for RHEL.

If you plan to dual-boot alongside windows, rtfm and google anything that you only understood as a result of context clues.

If you're installing to a spare desktop or laptop, then just go nuts. You'll learn more. Especially with a laptop. Owning a mobile device with an internet connection does not qualify your desktop or laptop as a spare device to play with.

If you're installing on your primary -don't because you had to ask us which means you really probably shouldn't be just fucking around with your computer.

An Uber (oober)
A USB (you ess bee)
An hour (ow-err}
A Unity (you-nit-ee)

Watch this be another thread where Debian fags ruin Linux for a Wangblows user because they said "just follow the installer it's easy" when the reality is they'll have to jump through hoops to get newer hardware working and get the newest version of software with features they expect.

I don't mean to discourage any hopefuls who lack a spare device. It's not that complicated. The thing is -shit happens. The last thing you want is to brick your main because of some unforeseen bs, or render it inoperable until your google-fu becomes strong enough to win the quest for the obscure driver of prophecy only to discover it's too bleeding edge to throttle your fans accordingly so they either run full speed at all times when on or allow your pc to double as a space heater.

my ONLY bit of advice: if you're using any sort of wifi, don't even bother banking it being on the free repo. Put the non-free firmware on a second flashdrive during install to avoid banging your head against a table. Other than that, it's pretty easy to get into. Go with a real DE like KDE or Gnome. They both have pros and cons, and I recommend trying both out and then just doing
sudo apt-get purge [DE you like least]
once you are done. Other than that, it's all really straightforward. Learn how to add different mirrors to your apt list, learn how to download from github, and figure out your favorite text editor to mess with config files. Also just RTFM. There isn't much else, and honestly I may have talked a lot, nothing I said is all that difficult, and any error messages you get will actually be useful. Good luck soldier.

Attached: 1562087840799.gif (500x400, 640K)

add contrib and non-free to /etc/apt/sources.list

getting wifi working will definitely require either downloading it before and telling the installer or afterwards by add non-free repos.
both are easy though.

if you're running 3rd gen ryzen or anything new like that i'd probably just install something else (like fedora or something).

Debian is for servers and mentally ill trannies.
>Also install gentoo

install gdebi for when you wanna install .deb files it works better than dpkg for getting dependencies

People give you all kinds of advice on how to get nonfree repos afterwards but the easiest way is to just use the .ISO that already comes with them.
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

For dual booting Windows: Make Windows set the Real Time Clock (hardware/cmos clock) in UTC. Disable Windows Time service and use NetTime instead. Disable Fast Startup so you can access the Windows partition from Ubuntu.

>ubuntu forums
>solid answers
>often scrolling through the first four pages before somebody comprehends the question.

It does come with sudo, what the fuck are you talking about? Your user just isn't in the list of users allowed to use it by default.

This is all you need to know.

Attached: evolution.jpg (600x367, 47K)

also for windows: disable bitlocker and its also better to shrink the windows partition from within windows.
finally, most of what you need to know are vim, the GNU coreutils, and GNU binutils + GCC/G++ for C/C++ programming (also the standard structure + makefile of a c project),
the standard linux directory layout (/etc, /home, etc.) + systemd (journal, systemctl, etc.) + apt package manager/dpkg debian packages for system settings and administration,
and general knowledge of processes, devices, networking, graphics stack and the kernel helps

>.exe

linux is a kernel and not an os
the os you're installing is gnu + linux
gnu + linux is a combination of the gnu operating system created by Richard Stallman and the linux kernel created by Linus Torvalds
that's all you need to know. also good choice for the distro

Go fuck yourself

have sex
just once

you care about what people on some network portal for korean icon sharing say?

Attached: 1566048694822.jpg (594x609, 77K)

Yes. Both developing as well as compiling your code is much easier in Linux compared to Windows. In my experience, anyways. To learn efficient coding and to learn the ways of a programming language more in-depth, I suggest you learn to program WITHOUT an IDE. I suggest you use "JOE's Own Editor" to write code.

I base all my life decisions on Jow Forums(nel)

why JOE instead of let's say Sublime?

bump

use a system with non free software like manjaro. that way graphics and hdds work straight out the böx

linux mint is for the retarded boomers that can't be trusted with tinkering with the .usr files
literally ubuntu if it was a corridor with guard-rails

use cinnamon

Based. Install g++ and vim and you'll be off to a good start

nah use a qt based de

>vim instead of Sublime
neck yourself

Don't do it.
Start with something easier like Manjaro.
Debian suck when it comes to getting everything working.

Gonna have to give me the reasons why Sublime is better than Vim, user

it looks nicer and works faster

Just use what's on the machine. If you run into problems with those, then look up alternatives.

Generally, Fedora. However, there are seperate versions of Debian. Stable is, you guessed it, very stable but testing and unstable are more similar to Fedora. And the latest version of Fedora is never that stable.

what are you talking about, Linux Mint is Ubuntu with Cinnamon and a few special repositories?

You are thinking of Elementary OS since they disable PPA's.

imagine not using nano

They are separate wms.

Install ubuntu or one of its derivatives if you want things to work nicely

everything's already in the installer so you'll be alright