Self-Taught Rocket Engineer

>self-taught rocket engineer

rt.com/news/466732-flat-earth-rocket-launch-california/

How long till people realize that
>self-taught
is a huge meme?

What are your thoughts on and experiences with self-taught programmers?

Attached: self-taught-rocket-engineer.jpg (980x551, 163K)

He has amazing hair for his age

>“I never give up! The rocket will greet the heavens! At 63, I’m still a red-blooded, mission-hungry Daredevil and my goal is to inspire the boy or girl who becomes the man or woman that changes the world,” he said.

In olden times he would just be called a hobbyist. I'd drink a beer with him

I'm a self-taught programmer, I learned in my teens not because I wanted a job but because I found it fun.
Fast-forward a couple of years, I'm in college learning CS, huge meme, you learn a lot of theory like algorithms, graph theory, set theory, all useful but really, nothing you couldn't learn with a good book.
2 years into my CS degree I was bored out of my mind so I started applying to jobs to see if I had what it takes, got a pretty good job, decent salary, company car, tons of benefits, etc. so I dropped out and I've been working there for a couple of years already.
I don't think I'm better than my coworkers who have a degree and my coworkers that have a degree don't think I'm any less skilled than them, but a lot of them got their degrees "just because"
TL;DR: CS is a meme

>you try to change jobs
>gets automatically filtered out of candidacy by HR software cause no degree

>your coworkers try to change jobs
>no problem

You're in for a rude awakening for career advancement. Finish your degree in the evenings if you can. You will want that meme piece of paper if you ever want to move around

lmao @ virgin flat earthers. Peter Madsen is more based.
>autodidact rocket engineer, didn't complete a degree in engineering
>builds own rockets
>builds own u-boats
>kills swedish journalist
>doesn't believe earth is flat

Attached: peter_madsen.jpg (940x529, 46K)

he probably dropped out because it was too difficult for him.

Sorry, Chaim, but I am glad I never fell for the college meme. No debt for me.

Apprenticeships are the way to go, basically get paid to gain further qualifications.
Left school at 16 and did a software development apprenticeship.
3 years on I'm doing alright, never failed an interview and get recruiters mailing me on LinkedIn every day.

>recruiters mailing me on LinkedIn every day
you do realize that those are automated messages, do you?
how do i know? i actually developed recruiting software that does shit like that. kys.

>What are your thoughts on and experiences with self-taught programmers?
i was interview a "self-taught" i can swear he just memorize tech names and concepts.
he dosent know how to fizzbuzz or troubleshoot a simple internet connection.
"what do you mean by saying a 'ping' it can mean many things..."
thats why the industry dont count them
anymore

>you do realize that those are automated messages
Yes, a lot of them are automated, but most of them aren't. My point is, my last three jobs I discovered by recruiters coming to me.

yea, getting a decent job is much harder, or hopping countries. That is unless you have money, run a company, or have the connections.
>CS
>Difficult
KEK

>>CS
>>Difficult
>KEK
You do understand that easy tasks can be "too difficult" for some people, right?

Being self-taught and Dunning-Kreuger syndrome go hand in hand. They might learn some of the ropes legitimately on their own, and the rest is their ego telling them they can't possibly be wrong.

The nazi scientists who build the USA their rockets were essentially self taught rocket engineers.

you are right, I might think too highly of the people posting here. The people at my CS study were total retards but thats only because they didn't actually care at all about programming and didn't practice anything outside of the course material.

Von Braun had a PhD and "self taught" refers to people who did not acquire their knowledge through institutions, but through self teaching.
It isn't about doing research.

>Von Braun had a PhD
He had a PhD in physics
>It isn't about doing research.
awarded for his research on rocket engineering.

>refers to people who did not acquire their knowledge through institutions, but through self teaching.
How many colors of retard does it take to misnomer researching as "self teaching"?

>He had a PhD in physics
With his thesis about rocket propulsion, and a diploma in engineering. By which standard is he "self taught"?

proves my point.

read my post retard.

Yes, I read it.
The contents let me conclude that you do not believe that von Braun was self taught, so why are you responding to me like that if you agree with my point?

You agreed with my point in your post leading me to conclude that you either didn't correctly read or that you are being facetious.

Consider: if you publish research in a new field, you are not getting taught in that field.

>Consider: if you publish research in a new field, you are not getting taught in that field.
Yes, that was my point.

Why do you call me a retard if you agree with me?

Because I stated that he got his PhD "awarded for his research on rocket engineering. ", you reply with: "With his thesis about rocket propulsion, and a diploma in engineering.". This reasonably leads me to conclude that you either cannot read or I cannot write, the latter seems like too much of an assumption and as this is Jow Forums it seems most likely you are a NEET with down syndrome living from state money.

You called me retard before that:
In you basically repeated all of my points and called me a retard, what was the point?

Americans just love that 100k student loan for the rest of their lives for 4 years of getting black out drunk and partying

Self taught is not a meme, college courses take forever. In IT you have to self teach yourself everything THEN you go do a relevant cert. In programming you go and make something and then stick it on a GitHub or play store. Web programming go build out a website and portfolio that shit