C++

>C++

Attached: 1547907227685613243.jpg (306x306, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t5NszbIerYc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Better than C at least.
Use it for implementing usable languages like Rust.

It's good.

Basedissimo.

Attached: he cute wink.gif (1000x1000, 78K)

For me, its python.

C++, python, C#
the holy trinity

>C++, C#, C
fixed

C++ finally has templates and built in vectors, excellent features that make it a usable language. Features which have been part of lisp from the beginning.

All languages are converging. Just pick one and use just it's latest features. We're all lisp programmers now.

Yeah lmao, what was that retard onto with Python with its shitty interpreter, spacing bullshit,no pointers, etc.

>Better than C at least.

Attached: e.jpg (179x282, 8K)

Dilate

>stupid frog poster

>being triggered by frogposting
>on a frogposting website
shiggydiggykek

Attached: frogposting.jpg (416x1047, 50K)

fuck you for bumping this piece of shit thread
neck yourself OP

>frog post

Alright so I'm a retard but what are pointer used for? I know they're addresses for memory spaces but why use them?

Attached: Rotating_earth_(large).gif (400x400, 978K)

>frogposting website
Fuck off back to your containment board, election tourist.

Lisp did it in a way that isn't braindamaged.

Fpbp

A value is stored in memory. If you know where, you can change the value stored at that location in memory.

If you're only interested in the value itself, you'll end up with a copy of it.

Function arguments can be variables (copies) or pointers (the actual object). If you want to change the original, pass in a pointer.

Most of the time, you just want to make a calculation and return the result, and you'd use a variable.

SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

security flaws

All of Lisp is brain-damaged.

What don't you like about Lisp?

Where do I start?

Lisp is the one true programming language.

those features have been there from the start

Wherever you like my dude.

So it's mainly for reducing memory space?

>C

Attached: 1564846687099_0.png (1799x825, 263K)

No, passing by value has overhead and you may want pointer rather than get a copy of it because you want to change the object Also without pointers your OS wouldn't even boot. They're pretty fundamental to computing. youtube.com/watch?v=t5NszbIerYc
All the corporate shitlangs have references, which are just pointers for brainlets.

bait

so did version 1

They give you indirection, you can have pointers to pointers etc.

I quite like lisp, but dynamic typing makes it hard to scale to large projects. Got any advice?

I think I like chicken scheme because it has a static typing mode that works well and is flexible.

Rustfags invented this problem. The amount of time programmers spend chasing these bugs is tiny, and irrelevant compared to the time it takes to fix a fucking dependency that has gone wrong.

Its such an egregious mistake. Its like thinking authors would write better books if they had better spell checkers.

Not entirely, there's overhead to copying, memory allocation is
single the most expensive operation.
There's also more advanced shit they're necessary for, like memory mapping (turning something that isn't RAM into RAM, like a file or VRAM), type punning (reinterpreting memory as something else), etc.
But yea, space is a big problem, if you just copied shit you'd wind up with a functional language, which generate gigabytes of garbage data for very simple programs.

Most languages either pass by reference implicitly or have some abstraction over pointers, the idea isn't unique to systems langs.
why do people have such trouble with them

If I see another C vs C++ thread on Jow Forums I'm going to be pissed off, make this the last one

That's never going to happen.
The cniles will never stop complaining about the glorious madness that lies within the C++ standard, as they lack the strength of being to comprehend its true nature and magnificence, and fear which they do not know.

C++ eq C
because trailing ++ is post increment.

This

>irrelevant compared to the time it takes to fix a fucking dependency that has gone wrong.
Can you describe one problem you've got with Rust's depedencies?
Or are you just memeing because someone compared cargo and npm therefore they must share all the issues?

Also RAII doesn't originate from Rust nor it's insignificant.

I'm pretty sure he meant dependency issues in C and C++ because that was what he was talking about, and the fact that those are a more of a pain to solve compared to memory safety issues, most of which take like a second of remaking the makeshift prototype code you knew was buggy but wrote anyway.

also microdependencies and language integrated package management are bad and make bad programmers.

mfw c++

Attached: 1555436235712.jpg (1920x1080, 194K)

>C++

Attached: 1563831920392.jpg (259x383, 81K)

>usable languages like Rust
Dilate.

>mfw C++

>Be zoomer
>Actually have use certain sections of my brain to avoid overflows
>Fuck the shit

Attached: kitty.png (362x368, 140K)

Incel

>what are references?

Attached: 1555713490947.png (511x515, 29K)

>making sure you compile the software with all its dependencies under the same versions as the ones it was tested with is bad
Do you have some more coping to show?

Attached: literally who.gif (312x346, 1.45M)