Favorite Linux distro

Hello there, been using KDE neon for two years, nice looking distro, based on ubuntu 18.04
looking for suggestions here, was thinking about Arch linux

main usage: cs studend usage (IDE's, matlab ect...)

Attached: 1200px-Neon-logo.svg.png (1200x1200, 153K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GetUbuntuGNOME
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Install Gentoo

I don't recommend Arch or especially Manjaro, unless you have a lot of time and want to spend it maintaining your system.

For KDE I recommend KDE Neon for stable and openSUSE Tumbleweed for rolling. They're among the few distros that patch Firefox so it uses kdialog in KDE (thumbnails in the filepicker).

For GNOME, Fedora is OK, as is Ubuntu with ubuntu-gnome-session, but I've been using openSUSE Tumbleweed with it and it works flawlessly.

Pretty much any distro will work for "cs studend usage", just make sure your packages are available in the repos or easily installable, and the most popular distros will have the highest amount of help available.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-16 07-19-38.png (987x679, 56K)

>Arch
Don't be autistic. Either use Manjaro if you want AUR or stay on a debian based distro like Mint (if you want Xfce or Cinnamon) or Kubuntu/Neon (if you want KDE).

>especially Manjaro, unless you have a lot of time and want to spend it maintaining your system.
What? I'm literally not doing anything to "maintain" my Manjaro install other than hit "apply updates" once a week when a notification pops up.
>thumbnails in the filepicker
Nobody gives a shit about this.

Just stick with Ubuntu. You can change DEs without issue.

>cs studend usage
Opensuse and Manjaro are good entry level distros for more advanced usage. Although my first recommendation is Mint for new users, those two have bleeding edge software.

I love Arch and it's one of the few projects I really care about but I simply don't have the time for it anymore so it's just Xubuntu for me these days.

What do you need "bleeding edge" software for?

Honestly, the only part "maintaining" your system is getting everything working, after that learning curve, it's really like any other distro imo.

In that case though, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're planning on staying with Linux. Some people just feel overwhelmed and go back to the easy thing, which is understandable.

Attached: eternal egg.jpg (982x685, 33K)

Really any distro is will do. If this is going to only be your second distro, you will realise that.

If you want to with Arch, go for it! Its really satisfying to learn so much about how a GNU/Linux system works and what are the different high level components and Arch teaches you that. There is nothing to "maintain" about it.

Arch GNU is the only serious GNU distro. Everything else is poorly-maintained by amateurs.

Just use ubuntu.

Arch isn't high maintenance.

DONT use arch

Fuck the archfags shilling that distro to noobs, FUCK YOU

Endeavour OS is a comfy Arch-based distro without the bloat of Manjaro.

wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GetUbuntuGNOME
Thank me later.

nigga you can add repositories, install software, back up config files and change desktop environments without distro hopping.

Linux Mint, KDE Neon, POP OS should have transformation package guides that work on all Bionic Beaver distros instead of having to format your hardrive just to get a restyled Debian 9 Sid.

Eh this happened to me when installing Manjaro a couple months ago or so:
>install Manjaro KDE version whatever they call their "spins"
>update
>reboot, log in
>desktop fonts are all fucked up
I said fuck it, I don't want to waste my time troubleshooting stuff when the defaults are broken like this, and installed a different distro.

I'm sure if I installed Arch and did it the Arch Way™, I would have had a better experience, but I kind of expected Manjaro to be somewhat sane out of the box.

Attached: 3ccad8dafc61dae9c8db5157a49c1c6f497044e7_2_690x461.png (690x461, 30K)

ubuntu
don't waste time on other shit

sorry i misread, I thought you meant distros based on Ubuntu 18.04.

Yeah you need to format your hardrive for an autism meme distro that isn't based on Ubuntu.

I use whatever is the non-pure popular option that has the wm that I want

Currently that is manjaro, it once was mint and even further back it was ubuntu

If it installs the codexs and drivers easily and makes a good faith attempt at choosing other software, its going to be about as good as you get out of the box.

Some points NO ONE can deny:

KDE, Gnome are faggish hogging subsystems
Arch, tips-Fedora and any '"bleeding edge'" fag OS is for useless neets
Ratpoison, Common Desktop Environment are great.
systemd sucks.

I miss:
LinuxBBQ - Get Roasted!

Attached: systemd-refugees-welcome-bring-your-family.jpg (695x537, 78K)

>GNOME
Kys

Can't blame Manjaro for KDE being unstable

Worked fine on literally every distro except Manjaro. I'm not even sure it was a problem in Arch, but it might have been considering Manjaro is just Arch but a week behind.

GNOME is great.

this is Bentōō Linux
it is basically Gentoo with an installer and pre-installed packages, and does not require compiling on your own
it has all the advantages of Gentoo with none of the drawbacks

Attached: bentoo-linux-alt-1.png (1600x680, 121K)

This but unironically.
Gentoo is whatever you want it to be and literally nothing else. If you want IDEs and matlab, install IDEs and matlab. If you don't want certain dependencies thereof clogging up your shit, just forbid the appropriate USE flags, and you'll get incomplete but functioning installs of IDEs and matlab, such that the only things you can't do with them are the things you weren't using anyway.

what is the difference between gentoo and arch?

one is stable, the other is a broken mess of dependencies

Haven't personally used arch but from what i've heard about it the biggest difference i can think of is that gentoo lets you specify USE flags for fine-grained control over what specific components of each package you want on your system. this also greatly reduces the dependency graph of a minimal install by taking what would normally be hard dependencies and predicating them upon certain USE flags

>GNOME is great.
Lel, fuck off. It's garbage.

Use ArchLabs, don't waste your time with kde bloat.

>kde bloat.
My KDE installation uses ~400 mb ram while looking nice, how much does your literally who distro use?

Kubuntu with latest KDE via PPA. Fuck Arch (bleeding edge unstable), fuck Gentoo (lol compiling everything for zero goddamn advantage), fuck Debian (choice between ancient and two flavors of unstable), fuck Fedora (unstable garbage), etc.

>Use ArchLabs
This, everyone

this person uses his computer to get work done and doesn't use fall for the i3 anime girl thread meme.

reminder archfags

Attached: download.png (225x225, 5K)

If you want a stable distro, use Kubuntu 18.04 LTS. If you want rolling KDE updates on a stable base, use KDE Neon. Another distro to consider would be OpenSuse.

Is Feren any good?

op here, talking about unstable...
two years ago I was looking for KDE based distro, ended up with Kubuntu & KDE neon
installed Kununtu, used it for 10 mins, and then installed KDE neon which was much better and stable (comparing to Kubuntu)

openSUSE Tumbleweed is a great choice if you want rolling release, I don't even use it with KDE (I prefer GNOME), but it's still great. If you want to use it with MATE there's a repository you have to add, so be mindful of that. Other desktops should install fine from the installer.

Attached: tux suse.png (3072x3072, 404K)

>especially Manjaro
>everything just works and even includes the latest proprietary nvidia drivers out of the box
uh-huh

nothing beats the latests version of ubuntu with whatever DE you like the most.

>have to spend time troubleshooting when updates break it
I literally spent 20 minutes with Manjaro installed and the default desktop fonts broke after I updated for the first time. I don't understand why people shill this to people who can't install Arch, if they can't do that they can't handle the problems that Manjaro will inevitably bring.

just use debian ten it's comfy

I don't know dude, I've had it installed on my machine™ for over a year and didn't encounter a single(1) problem
switched back to Debian on principle because of their retarded business decisions but it was still a solid experience

The ability to use the latest features and fixes for whatever software you use. I find it to be invaluable to my side hobby of software defined radio. Contrary to popular belief, software itself is rarely broken in rolling releases, if anything it tends to be things like core packages and drivers, and that's extremely rare,based solely on my 10 years or so of using rolling releases as well as LTS releases.

Exactly. Arch may only become a pain in the balls when you start installing a bunch of AUR packages, other than that, it's certainly more reliable than, say, Ubuntu with a handful of PPA's installed. And, please don't take this as a jab at Ubuntu, it was the nearest equivalence I could think of, offhand.

>LinuxBBQ -
Funny, I used to use a distro called BBQ Linux, which was an Arch installer with android development tools. Shit was amazing and I kept that secret to myself until the distro died.

>arch without any AUR packages is just as stable as Ubuntu with unsupported packages installed

Attached: 1461123214576.jpg (878x738, 36K)

fpbp

K, Knigger.

it is.

>systemd
Not on my distro ;^)

Why do you want to switch? KDE Neon is the best convenience-oriented distro. Don't use Arch or Fedora.

just install gentoo

Obvious and undeniable fact: you're a moron.

just looking for interesting unheard (by me) distros, maybe I will stick with KDE neon, who knows

Use arch, tech normies will think you are le ebic hackerman.

>fuck Fedora (unstable garbage)
Actual autism everyone