/tpg/ ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Woke edition

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.
libreboot.org/

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: IMG_4147.jpg (640x960, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

battery-adapter.com/product_info.php/products_id/1252/vThinkpad W541?gclid=CjwKCAjw7uPqBRBlEiwAYDsr18AVNfKEfNpdR1nxN9r22GO22gT7hutIwr-vijhCBtUFgQp4-xeYXBoCX6wQAvD_BwE
tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-lenovo-thinkpad-t440.245562/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What to get for a mobile daily? I narrowed it down to the T450s vs T440p but can't decide for one.

based

Depends on your needs. What do you do when working on a mobile?

Nothing really heavy, browsing, LaTeX and sitting in terminals all day. It probably is battery life > performance, and performance > all while stationary. I guess the T440p suits my needs best but the age is a bit daunting.

My girlfriends is doing heavy chemistry work on my old T510. The T440p will be good enough.

lol i'm still fine with r400 (a reinforced t400) and my workload is about the same as yours. you'd be absolutely fine with a t440p. if you care about battery life get the one that has better battery life.

going to get my x240 any minute.
hopefully its not a crap

I guess you are right, it's this 'but you could also have THAT instead'-feeling. Do you know / think the touchpad replacement is necessary on the t440p?

It will be if you dont swap the touchpad with the x250 one.

not really. they're the same across the board apart from x240.

Daily reminder that thiccpads be thicc

Attached: 1566155545762.jpg (1575x2800, 2.09M)

>is necessary on the t440p
Do you use the trackpoint? Then it's mandatory or the laptop is straight unusable.
Do you only use the touchpad? Then stock is fine.

Sorry for being retarded, but for some reason the T450 was completely under my radar. That seems to be a compromise between the two with no obvious dealbreaker? Screen is a bit worse but it's also cheaper.

Whats Jow Forums opinion on newer thinkpads such as the T580?

It's pretty much the same thing as the T440s, both use ulv dual cores and both support FHD IPS screens.
T440p can use the same FHD IPS screen as those and has the beefy 47W quad cores which similar performance to a desktop i7-3770.

>which
which has*
The t440p doesn't have dual batteries though, just a massive external 9-cell.

Normal answer is shitty keyboard, but youll also get a lot of "lenovo is following shitty apple trends" and a little of "no coreboot mins butnaht"

Thank you for your help, the t440p has some surrounding problems that kinda drive me away from it and I don't really need the quad core. I'm going with the t450.

what is the converter needed for the 1080p lcd mod on the t420?

>has some surrounding problems
?
>and I don't really need the quad core
Yeah it's kinda overkill imo but the heatsink is also pretty good.
I just want an upgrade from my X61t man
fucking nu-lenovo

If you want an update in specs just grab something like a w520 or w530 for old lenovo, a lot of ppl seem to like the t440p so theres that, check lainchan's tp general which has a pic explaining the differencew between x t and w

Nah i also have a T440p with the IPS screen and still prefer this old c2d pos.
I want an upgrade as in the whole package, not just specs.

>>has some surrounding problems
Stuff I found:
>good chance that fan is rattling
>UEFI and Linux problem
>problem with some samsung SSDs
Leaving on a months-long expedition in 8 days so I don't want to take any chances, however small they might be.

Fair enough.
1 doesn't apply to my T440p, no idea about 2 because i don't use Linux on it and no idea about 3 either because i use the M.2 slot.

Well id recc you search for what you want and what you would give for it, if what you want beats things like a chiclet keyboard, a shittier build quality, and other random cons like maintanability then sure go for a newer thiccpad, dont let random assholes from an american normal people world wide web collective with the capabilities of image and textposting change your mind

>My girlfriend

Attached: normieville.jpg (960x720, 106K)

Help me out bros
Dont generally post here, but here goes
My company is paying for me to buy any laptop (lets say under $2000)
I want something with a lot of RAM and a good CPU, I can add my own too obviously but based on those, what model would you recommend?

Dude we live in an age where your gf can be your fish or your left hand, the "gf is normalfag REEE" ideology died as soon as chads learned about open relationships. Id say having a single gf is the weird guy thing now

It just doesn't exist
>2-in-1 with pen
>4:3, 3:2 or 5:4 screen
>trackpoint
That's it

What i said here , basically if you need the specs and can give up on other factors go for it, i recc checking thinkwiki and lenovo for details on the models, youll be searching for a w model most surely

I mean your problem surely lays on the screen ratio, why? I dont really care that much about screen ratios

Because the X61t with a 1400x1050 screen is incredibly versatile and already got used to that. It's great for normal usage, taking notes with onenote, reading manga/pdfs, drawing sketches, etc.
16:9 is abysmal to use in portrait mode.

Well its kinda a weird thing to cling onto but i cant change fetishes, i myself work in both 16:10 and 16:9 and really dont care much, since i dont multitask a lot

I assume that's because you're using a laptop, then it's perfectly fine. This thing is a 2-in-1 so you can fold it and use it as a tablet, that's where 4:3 shines.

I found a t440s with i7 4600m, 12gb ram, 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD and 1920x1080 Touchscreen for 250 euros. Should i get it?

I'm having a problem installing Linux...
These had windows 10 but after trying to install Linux they have been in this state post splash screen

Attached: IMG_20190818_220414.jpg (3968x2976, 1.35M)

battery-adapter.com/product_info.php/products_id/1252/vThinkpad W541?gclid=CjwKCAjw7uPqBRBlEiwAYDsr18AVNfKEfNpdR1nxN9r22GO22gT7hutIwr-vijhCBtUFgQp4-xeYXBoCX6wQAvD_BwE

Is this place legit? I just want to make sure I have the right model from a good source.

Did you do Legacy or UEFI install?

What distro? Did you use the correct installation?

Legacy

God the x220t is so sexy

Kubuntu 19.04 on a USB stick. They still have windows 10, the installation failed on both and now its the black screen prompt post bios.

Then just try again, if its post bios then you could surely try to reboot it, right?

It always gives me those unresponsive prompts.

I've tried, always the unresponsive prompt.

I posted yesterday about my w530 not working with 32gb 2133mhz ram, tested it with 1600mhz today and it booted fine, thanks to the guys that replied

Is the X60 still viable today? A friend wanted to sell me his for $50 and I would use it for school and videos. It's either that or I spend $250 on a T400 with full upgrades from eBay.

Attached: 16212.jpg (400x300, 23K)

The x220t is recognizing the usb stick now...

I use my X60 on many days of the week because I find 4:3 very comfortable. But it is slow, even on web browsing. Don't pay $50 unless it's practically new-in-box or upgraded to the gills, i.e. has a SSD in already.

Don't pay $250 for a T400 either unless it's got an AFFS display, 1/4T SSD, and 8 gig of RAM.

>$250 on a T400

Attached: 4ef.jpg (600x412, 145K)

Yeah I really didn't wanna spend that much on a T400 desu, even with the SSD, 8GB RAM, T9900. My friend put an SSD in the X60 and he did some other stuff but I'm not sure what, he'd probably sell it lower if I asked.

here's the error on install

Attached: asd.png (1366x768, 529K)

Given up trying to install Linux on my 600. OpenBSD 6.5 worked absolutely perfect, yet a bit sluggish. Lichterally just need an OS to easily take notes in a text file and transfer them via floppy disk for uni.

Attached: IMG_20190818_231031.jpg (2976x3968, 1.83M)

just a x240, love the hardware but why the fuck isnt File Explorer on Windows 10 turning dark mode when enabled, new to Windows 10, this shit fucking sucks balls.

Attached: pepesad.jpg (900x460, 85K)

Where do you get your chinkpad batteries from? Looking for some for a t440 that won't blow my cock off.

Install GNU/Linux.

Attached: rmsche.jpg (640x480, 66K)

It seems like my problem was the usb stick. It's going well now, hope I don't fuck up no more.

aliexpress
batteries as well as ssds, ram, everything

aliexpress? Man I don't know if I dare, it'll be on my lap mostly.

Eh I've been buying pretty much everything from Ali for almost a decade, to each his own.

Thats def just you fucking the installation, whatever you used to burn the image onto the usb just try again with another configuration, happened to me 2 or 3 times

It is.

Now, how do make the touchcreen work on the x220t?

>can't install the only GPU driver I can find
>stuck in 640x480
Is Terry trying to tell me something?

Attached: luminescent_negroid.jpg (412x425, 43K)

pls halp, i cant use loonix for work and i fucking hate windblows

anyone hackintoshed their y440?

yes
the docking station didn't work so i reinstalled windows, everything else worked fine though

I want a thinkpad that has a 4k display and can render 4k content, good cpu, at least 16gb of RAM and a good long battery life that's at most $1000, suggestions

oh and 1tb of storage, a ssd boot would be nice too

>laptop with 4k res
don't

I've done it all 3 times now and I get stuck at boot every time. I reach the desktop, install the kexts, do the audio fix and then I get stuck towards the apple loading screen just before I should be reaching the desktop.

I've been following this tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-lenovo-thinkpad-t440.245562/

I know this shit is finicky, took me a while to hackintosh my ryzen system but it just werks now but I'm really not sure what I'm missing.

Check lenovos page for updates and drivers, youll surely find a touchscreen driver

I did it like two years ago when high sierra was released and barely remember anything aside from the docking station not working, also mine is a T440p.
The hardest part was modifying the BIOS to remove the whitelist, everything else was smooth sailing iirc.

A touchscreen driver for Linux?

lol

based, wtf I love thinkpad now

yeah
the dock series 3 from the t420 worked fine on gayOS
makes sense though since the *40 dock has firmware updates and shit while the t420 one was just a glorified hub

hi frens, have a cat

Attached: cato.jpg (2622x2235, 3.59M)

Thicc kot

You got me, maybe thinkwiki?

You're right. It was closer to ten million.

It's not a thinkpad but it is probably my favorite laptop made since apple stopped making the black MacBook back in 2009 or so.
I'm almost done saving up for it, a monster ssd(speed wise), a USB monitor, and a better wireless router.
You know I was also looking longingly at the x260 and x270 from lenovo but my hands are apparently really big according to the mice people.
Do any of you have one? I like it because the key board is centered, as is the track pad(non negotiable), nice black exterior with clean lines no gay shit, the hinges are sick ive played with them irl, and I love the blue highlights on the keyboard.

Attached: P1000637.jpg (1280x960, 219K)

Based

My boss has one of those, seems like a pretty solid machine. The keyboard seems really nice.

>want to use either macOS or debian-like distro
>University classes require me to use both +Windows 10 at the same time
>Forced to spend $100+ on more storage

Attached: Me_Irl.jpg (530x805, 58K)

What are you using that has to be on macOS?

wait are thinkpads even 16:10 or should i just buy a used surface book for 4:3?

I need it for some tasks in a VM class but I hate using VMs since they run like dick on my t440p

only the

Just bought a t440p with 8 gigs of ram, upgraded screen and a 500 gig ssd for 175, did I do good?

do 7, should work fine.

ridiculous how inexpensive technology is now.
I bought a t420 and I think i used it like twice though because it's just so much less comfortable than a desktop.
I'd say you did very well. Even my primary machine only has a 500gb ssd and 8gb is plenty unless vidya.
You'll probably want to extensively clean it, check the keyboard and see how worn it is if it is replace it, get the best battery replacements you can, get your primary machine serving files on the LAN so you have all your shit on the new machine.

Mite go 16 gigs and mite replace the keyboard with a backlight depending on condition. I read you can go 47 watt tdp or maybe more if you put in the gpu/cpu cooler combo and use good paste. Didn’t think about gayming. What’s the best I could squeeze out of it? I’m told the gpu is garbage.

>replace the keyboard with a backlight
but backlit keyboards are for mentally disabled niggers who can't touch type
>I read you can go 47 watt tdp
easily, the heatsink is pretty good

>backlit bad
backlit keyboards are pretty good for models that can't have a classic keyboard tho

It adds no functionality and looks like shit.

>it adds no functionality and looks like shit
in your opinion :^)

xserver-xorg-input-wacom is the package for Debian so probably the same for *ubuntu.

Does anyone make aftermarket heat sinks? Has anyone tested higher tdps?

>Does anyone make aftermarket heat sinks?
ur mum
>Has anyone tested higher tdps?
The only "compatible" processors with higher tdp are those extreme 57W haswells like the 4930MX, feel free to buy one and see what happens. BTW one of those costs the same as two T440p.