Do you need to have a mental illness to become a good programmer?

Do you need to have a mental illness to become a good programmer?

Attached: Terry.jpg (480x360, 15K)

no

You do have a mental illness.
I guarantee it.

I have a few too.
>cptsd
>depression
>social phobia

No one is content with the way the world is right now. There's no way to truly be mentally healthy without going back in time.

no, mental illness is not a funny joke, it ruins people

>t. mentally ill

Autism isn't a mental illness :(

aren't we all?

I'm most likely autistic. I have also been "running" across the room imaging some stuff since childhood and my parents viewed this as normal. It's very embarassing to look at this once my sister showed me the footage.
I feel safe and comfy only when programming and maybe at night having a cup of tea.

Interesting point. Do you really believe the world is not the same as it was 50 years ago in terms of social interactions? Normies pretty much are content with everything, save for occasional distresses as always.

Imagine if his illness made him cut his dick off and evangelize about LGBT rights. Everyone here would shit on his TrannyOS. No one here really cares about his code. Only about his edgy ramblings.

You don't know me.

>t, school shooter

Fuck.

>No one is content with the way the world is right now. There's no way to truly be mentally healthy without going back in time.
Oh, suck it up, you fucking faggot. The world was much worse 100 years ago. >but m-muh depression and social phobia...
Just end yourself right now, you're pathetic.

Yeah, I believe the world is pretty different now. Particularly because of the corporate shadow government. People I tend to align with politically call it the "one percent," people I tend to really dislike call it the "jews," whatever you call it there's no denying it's there and it's done a lot of damage. Thanks to "them," we're trapped in a prison of meaninglessness. They've made it pointless to live. There's no glory or value in anything, it's all saccharine oversaturated corporate media garbage. The modern lifestyle is empty and soulless on the inside. Normies may be able to cope with it better but I don't think they're really content with it deep down either.
>Just end yourself right now, you're pathetic.
No. Never. I've already decided I'll never kill myself no matter what. Although it wasn't so much a decision but rather more of an observation after spending so long involuntarily having suicidal thoughts and then not following through with them. When you go so long like that you just wind up figuring out they're actually harmless and can't make you do anything and then you feel safe again. Safe in your shitty consumer bubble as usual.
>The world was much worse 100 years ago.
In terms of our ability to survive, perhaps. But at least survival had some meaning.

based
this
cringe

>cringe
You can't call my post cringe, I got trips.

I don't see a lot of corporations influence on this or some sort of invisible hands. Myths have fallen because of the internet and stratospheric rise in information sharing/general literacy. E.g. you can't now think you're on a special mission or something, because you can just go on the internet and see there are exactly 100 persons doing the same thing so you'll be discouraged, don't see any external influence here desu (that is if you don't employ backwards logic like information access is bad, e.g. Ted Kaczynski).

When I say they've deprived our lives of meaning, I'm *not* talking about things like "myths falling" or not being able to think you're on some "special mission."
I'm talking about what we now have to do to survive and get along in society, and how it's counterproductive to feeling whole as people.
>be born
>sit in a classroom for several hours a day for eighteen years
>sit in an office for even more hours a day for the rest of your life
>in the meantime use the resources you accumulate to trade for streamlined and heavily commercialized+sensationalized survival and entertainment products such as delicious dinnermeals
>everywhere you go people are shoving these products in your face
>can't get away from it
>even the most remote and once-beautiful areas are covered in waste from these products
>live like this for several decades
>die having accomplished nothing of value because all the effort you had the opportunity to put into anything was absorbed into the belly of your respective CEO(s)

ok
yikes

I apologize, sorry user.
Checked

are you me

when you put it like this, I agree, the loop of consumering is real. Social inequality and wealth mobility is probably at ATH though. Let's see how it plays out in America, some ppl are getting wrecked definitely.

>people I tend to really dislike call it the "jews,"
>WAAAHH I HATE RACIST NAZI Jow Forums WAAAHHHH
Lol

schizophrenia definetly doesnt help.
maybe if youre an artist or something but not in programming.

It helps.

Most of the people on this board has some kind of mental illness but I don't see any programming benefit from it.

>imagine reading this and unironically thinking it was the point of the post

I like how pol churns through any text block like butter and can immediately pick any non-far-right sentence and point it out

i was a mediocre programmer and then i became mentally ill and now i don't program at all

I do have a intellectual superiority complex, and probably autism as well.

No, but it helps.

Mental illness makes you above average, but to be a real genius, you must be sane

Why millenials think being sad and anxious is a disease?

Based. The sad thing is that "mental illness" like depression is a symptom, not a disease. If my hand is in a fire the answer isn't taking pain medication, it's respecting that the pain is a signal that something is wrong and I need to change it.
In this particular case, the answer is escape from the rat race. The solution is the ERE/FIRE movement. Check out Jacob Lundt Fisker.

>transgender
>gay
>autism
>social phobia
>no family
>doped collage and high school
>surviving from working at a mcdonalds
>depression
>dependent on pod and beer to survive
get on my level faggot

Does depression counts? Maybe not. I'm too depressed to even write a line of code.
I'm 30 and I don't think I can learn to code fast enough to keep up with the 20 somethings.

i have mental illnesses but i'm not good at programming either

severe anxiety is VERY bad and impeding

as a fellow 30 year old my advice is to code for fun.
Its over for us as a career choice.
Maybe when I have kids I'll teach them some python or that cat scratch drag and drop or whatever.

So is being dumb short ugly fat and gay but we dont call that a disease either

yeah all the best programmers got one

bill gates: narcissist
that guy who made doom: believes hes god
steve jobs: drank his pee

I do agree they would have shitted hard on it.David was really the best programmer ever
The world wasn't ready for him yet.
Also watching some of his old videos makes me smile and happy

the world was ready--people are treated for similar conditions daily all over the planet. in so many ways its terrible that he was able to find an outlet on the internet where his terrible racist views were encouraged and his paranoia was fed until he killed himself or got run over by a train either way PBUH.

>guy creates high level language(python)
>gets articles written about him and praised
>terry writes an os from scratch, a 3d rendered, his own low level language (holyC) and a bunch of games.
>dies of sepoku by train

i cant help but think you skipped a few details there user :^)

Pathetic, only someone who's depressed would seriously believe the world is the problem and not themselves.
How much do you weigh, how much corn syrup do you consume on a daily basis. How much fast food. Do you sleep with lights on in your room, computer screen? Do you exercise? Have you ever really exercised, ran for more than a mile? Could you even do it?

Do you really have to wonder why you're depressed?
Get your shit together.

i consume way more corn syrup than recommended and im still depressed

Yeah

lol

No, but it helps.

>dumb
mental retardation
>short
manlet
>ugly
beta
>fat
fat
>gay
gay

Just chill, my friends, it shall be okay

Thanks doc

whoa brodude, did you know the dsmiv has all sorts of codes for illness but like, zero for health. really makes you think.

based point

>short
midget
>fat
morbdily obese
>gay
this was literally considered a disease nee sin for most of human history and has only recently (and still with some resistance) considered "ok" by some not even all people

The only reason terry was idolized and got popular was because his schizophrenia made him spout controversial stuff.
Before his schizophrenia developed he was already an incredibly accomplished programmer.
If his schizophrenia hadn't developed into him being "shocking" he would have flown under most peoples radar. Its the sad truth of it all.

true. look at his past incarnations. J operating system... who knew that? i remember it was posted on Jow Forumswhen it was called "Losethos" and it was like hey this guy did all this work neat what else is new? fast forward to like 2 years ago? he now calls it templeos and goes off racist tirades in the name of that fucked up wizard in the sky and boom hes got peoples attention AND support. disgusting.

you used him but nows hes dead :)

lmao, how do you even function?

I think it helps

not the guy you replied to but add "watches anime " and "lives in Quebec/Canada" and you've got a literal meme.

Lmao

>Yeah, I believe the world is pretty different now.
This endless work cycle has been around for as long as post industrialized cities have existed. However, relentless commercialization of everything is cancerous and more widespread than ever. Identity politics is the worst thing to come out of the the media circuit and with it being injected into more media channels, it's essentially made escapism harder to even achieve.
Was Ted K. against info access? He seemed to reach a logical conclusion that technology would ultimately strip people of their humanity. He isn't wrong even if you disagree with his methods to garner attention. We are several generations removed from corporations becoming self sustaining entities. A day will come when they will operate autonomously. Machine learning will drive capitalism to new heights and a select few mortal men will ascend the heavens to become gods. The only obstacle remaining: immortal medicine. Death is the great equalizer. When the elite have finally averted mortality, society will enter the final stage.

Yes.

Fag

If it weren't for Jow Forums buying him that drum set he would've still been at home hosting comfy streams to 1-5 viewers daily.

Fuck you faggots.

>constant thoughts of suicide and entertaining ways to kill myself, slowly separating myself from family to make it less painful
Other than that, I feel like a functioning adult.

Yep, im a schizoid, and i know a little bit about everything, that approach seems to be more effective than learning just one thing.

Just imagine being a medieval peasant, 1700s indentured child child laborer, or black slave reading this. Jesus Christ the delusion. The rich have always controlled the poor but that grip is weakening, not strengthening.
>BUT MUH CONSPARICY! IN 20 YEARS Y-Y-Y-YOU'LL SEE I SWEAR
Ok schizo.

I am an extremely good programmer and I’ve struggled with drug addiction and mental issues my whole life. I suspect these things have something to do with each other but I don’t know what it is.

Depends on the quality of the illness.
He never had ADHD for example, in fact he was unusually focused when working on or talking about programming.

I'm beginning to think people confuse this ay.
Autism isn't really fixable.
Mental illnesses are far more treatable, hence they are "illnesses".

It's all relative

You don't have to be a good dev, be good enough to fool the ones with money and power, the opinions of others without any responsability don't count.

I am an extremely good programmer with no mental problems with autism and I hate other programmers because they're all sperglords

Hard agree here. I can only get by in life by being an extreme generalist.

I openly admit that I don't possess the intelligence, motivation, or courage to double down and specialize my skillset. I've never did.

However, an amazing memory and natural, intuitive understanding of the world at large as a form of system for me to analyze and compare to leads everyone to think I'm "smart" and/or talented.

I've crippled my own self-worth so badly over the last decade that I only feel "normal" when I'm increasing my knowledge base to help other people with their problems. Never just for fun, never for myself.

I also have unrelated health issues that are the cause of daily chronic fatigue and pain; and no medication has worked for me yet on any psychosocial level.

I figure the cycle will continue until I lack the will to get up one morning and just end my life outright–which is funny, 'cause I used to be scared of dying more than anything else since I was like 4yo. Now I just really don't care.

Technically, no, but in practice it's almost a requirement.
If you don't have one, you probably have an active social life, which tends to get in the way.

hyperfocus is also an ADD feature.

no but also before industrial life the average standard of living was much higher and each person’s soul was not an object of corporate modernity. There was a time when you talked to people in life about your hardships and those people were your friends who would carry you through those times but now you work a job you hate for people you hate to spend a day’s worth of labor on a therapist who is legally obligated to listen to all your problems short of raping and murdering kids

Especially in divorce court.

Attached: 1544305933049.jpg (580x435, 79K)

>100 years ago we had the great depression and a world war brewing.
>Was much worse than it is now
???

Attached: 562.png (1597x1600, 532K)

I can even smell onions and r3ddit on you, daft cunt

I'm sure there is a significant overlap. To be a top level programmer you'd need to have the kind of dedication and focus that's mostly achieved through literally zero social life and/or mental issues

the industrial revolution and it's consequences have been a disaster for human society

But it happened in the past before I was born so it must have been better
I'd much rather get hit by a mustard gas artillery shell than have to deal with SJW cucks taking away my anime video games

stop quoting Luke Smith faggot

The "one percent" has existed for literally thousands of years

redpill: Terry was a bad programmer.

t. bugman

> Do you need to have a mental illness to become a good programmer?

Absolutely. This "mental/personality disorder" is required to become a great programmer.

Great programmers possess a rich, elaborate and exclusively internal fantasy world.
In fact, their internal fantasy is too stimulating that they pretty much spend their time thinking rather than living.
Their imagination is their very strength, and also their greatest disability.

Here are the symptoms:
- stilted speech
- a lack of deriving enjoyment from most, if not all, activities
- feeling as though one is an "observer" rather than a participant in life
- an inability to tolerate emotional expectations of others
- apparent indifference when praised or criticised
- a degree of asexuality and idiosyncratic moral or political beliefs
- lack of interest in social relationships
- a tendency towards a solitary or sheltered lifestyle, secretiveness, emotional coldness, detachment and apathy

There are a lot of anons here on Jow Forums suffer from this disorder too.

correlation isn't causation
none of those things are neccessary to be a great programmer, or even helpful

He enumerated symptoms, not causes.
Internal mechanics of what he's describing are actually very helpful for a "programmer mindset", though it's not obvious from the symptoms.

The same thing that causes social isolation also causes increased conscientiousness when writing or testing, greater ability to decompose things into individual components, greater awareness of imprecise or incorrect design and descriptions.

they're symptoms of having assburgers, schizophrenia or depression
people who have assburgers have a strong overlap with people who are good at programming, but that doesn't mean you need one to have the other or even that it's beneficial

It doesn't mean it by itself, but it just happens to be true that there is a common cause for certain symptoms of schizophrenia and increased programming ability.

You can be a good programmer without the things I mentioned.
The current literature and tools are rich enough to make you one.

But to be a *great* programmer? I don't think so.

The path to becoming a great programmer is the same as becoming a great artist.
The desire to eschew the common believes is needed to become one.

Donald Knuth once said that to become a "great" programmer, you need to throw away the modern tools and start from scratch. No sane programmer does that.

>The desire to eschew the common believes is needed to become one.
Yes I agree but that doesn't mean you need to become schizophrenic or autistic. Being different isn't the same thing as being broken. Being insane makes you different, but being different doesn't make you insane

>things were bad before, so they're fine now

Personality disorder is not exactly anywhere near "being broken".
It's pretty much just a certain brand of eccentricity.

It is
That's what "disorder" means
the symptoms described are pretty much all part of a disorder, which being a programmer makes you more susceptible to, but none of these disorders mean you're better at it

Of course, you need to have the right amount of sanity to survive in this world.

>That's what "disorder" means
No, disorder just implies subtle changes from the mean. It could be called "flawed", but "broken" is a massive stretch.
>none of these disorders mean you're better at it
That's not correct.
It may not be obvious due to most of people hiding their symptoms, but if you look closely at all the best programmers, you'll notice that they have greatly above average rate of certain thinking patterns associated with what is called "personality disorders".
I don't know if spergs and bipolars are better at programming or just spend more time at it, but schizoids sure do write better quality code and learn faster.