I am an artist who would like to make a video game

I am an artist who would like to make a video game.
Could I learn how to do this within 6 months, teaching myself for a couple hours a day
Where do I start with that

Or would it be better for me to simply design the assets and find someone to program?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 12.11.34 PM.png (1050x1396, 2.34M)

Other urls found in this thread:

lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/index.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

if you want it to be good get a teacher or hire somebody.

self teaching 90% of the time is unrealistic and a waste of time.

Polycount.com

One step at a time OP. I believe in you.

3d or 2d?

Now this is a retarded comment, self teaching is completely fine if you have good learning structure and discipline.

what do you want to make?

>Could I learn how to do this within 6 months
yes
> teaching myself for a couple hours a day
no

In all honesty, if your game isn't going to be too complicated, there are plenty of easy to use engines and premade assets/libraries you can alter and alter until it's your own creation. Now really is the best time to get into small time gamedeving. A lot of programming is plain English or simple enough to follow along. Just stay determined and you'll definitely finish your project.

>within 6 months
Give up. Pick some other hobby.
Games is the hardest form of artistic media.
These ~350 hours wouldn't be enough for anything.

what engines do you recommend?

btw I may want to make something closer to "interactive art" than a gamey videogame

lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/index.php

I am a great artiste', moiself, hahaha just moi practicing moi french.
Anyway to business, my friend
Get a programmer to program the game for you,
he can always glue your sketches onto the game after

go on Udemy and try out one of the courses from the gamedev.tv group. I’ve been taking the Unreal 4/C++ course and it’s fucking fantastic. Like fifteen bucks for sixty hours of extremely solid video content from well-spoken dudes, active Q&A, actively maintained for version changes, etc. Really top notch shit.

Are you me OP?
Also do you make trad, fanart or 3D/photshop?

I'm trad+3D, I even can program as I got associate degree in computers and computer graphics BA with the final thesis on hold, but the mathematics are what get me.

I'll make you a visual novel if you want m8.

Imagine learning to make video games through a paid video tutorial
that's the most indian then I've ever heard

trad.
painting and drawing mostly.

Renpy for visual novels, It uses python, but it is very easy to use, recommand it if you also want to write a lot.

RPGMaker for rpg's, haven't sued it myself, but I've heard good things.

Gamemaker for platformers or top-down games.
Gamemaker has both drag and drop and scripting, with the former, you can make more advanced games, but it isn't hard to make something like an asteroids game with drag and drop. This may not be the best for you.

OR, I'll make you a game :D

>I would like to do a thing
>Should I find someone to do the thing
I thought you said you wanted to do it, do you want to learn or not

>Or would it be better for me to simply design the assets and find someone to program?
Yes. You're going nowhere at a time investment of two hours a day and six months to be a baller. No way.

There's a reason the 10,000 hour rule exists, i.e. 10,000 hours required for expertise. That's about 55 hours a day for six months. Think you can do it?

Of course you can be a hobbyist. Of course you can learn to do this, that, and the third in far less time. Nothing wrong with that. But if you're SERIOUS about the project, then you want to find people who already know how to program at a good level or re-think your time scale.

If you buy everything from assets to people doing the work for you, then maybe.
there is a 10k hour rule for this and game dev usualy includes more than one discipline(modeling, rigging, animating, programming, marketing, optimizing the assets, etc).
Chances are you won't ever get to finish the game in that time, even with a team
t.Character artist at Ubisoft

Not him but i would recommend starting with a 2D game and for a complete beginner, Construct 2 or 3. That's about as easy as it gets and they have a good amount of tutorials and an active forum

just download unity
then pay for the code through the asset store
thats modern dev for you
its just "coders"

Self teaching is entirely reasonable and realistic if you set goals and dont procrastinate.
But if you lack discipline and willpower you will fail if you dont overcome it.

nice painting OP, post more

oh I thought it was yours, should have reverse searched

It depends on *what* you want to achieve.
A relatively simple 2D platformer? Sure, use any of the common engines and in a couple of months you will be fine.

If you want to make more complex things and don't have an enormous life devouring artistic vision find someone to work with.

I'd recommend that you start making small clones, just to get a feel for what's involved. Make pong, tetris, or snake. Try to polish them, don't stop at 'barely playable'.
Making games can be tedious work, and this will give you a taste. You'll also realize if this is something you want to be doing as a hobby.

If you did that much learning every day I think you could do that easily. You need to know where to start though. If you want to make a 2d game the löve framework is pretty good, and dead simple too.

As other anons said 2hrs won't cut it, but you can try. The important thing is to have a plan I will recommend you to use an engine: Unity. There are plenty of tutorials online.

what kind of video game?

I recommend learning the three.js javascript library. It can beused on any computer and has lots to sample code to work with. If you're an artist you'll probably be interested to write shader programs which can be done using glsl in three.js

kek
like a complete noob is going to write shader programs

You will be 100% better off learning to program. The more you can do yourself the more valuable you are to yourself. Go learn to write halfway decent fiction as well while you are at it.

Holy fucking retards ITT. Just use Unity 5.
Don't even attempt to "learn to program" anything other than what is required for Unity 5.

>Could I learn how to do this within 6 months, teaching myself for a couple hours a day

Yes, but it won't be a very good game. You can learn how to drag a blueprint and some assets into a game engine and have a working prototype set up in less than a couple hours. But to go from there to something not garbage is a much taller step and requires you to learn a lot of fundamentals.

>Where do I start with that

I've gone from UE4 -> Unity -> CryEngine -> Lumberjack -> Godot
I'd say go for Godot unless you have big ambitions. You can get much more eyecandy and drag and drop with UE4, but it's a clunky engine and I just don't like the visuals it produce out of the box. Godot is much more simple, but it's very lightweight and hands on. Because you have to learn fundamentals anyways like meshes, maps, materials, scripting, etc, Godot gives you the perfect blend of fundamental basic no nonsense stuff without you wanting to tear your own skin off in frustration like with the source engine or Unity (or UE4 when it bugs out).

Starting with 3D asset creation is a good way to learn. Make a walking simulator and make all the assets your self.

It's gonna take you forever to learn though, I'm 6 years into it and I haven't released anything yet. (I'm starting to get the hang of it though!).

Attached: 1566086862758.png (514x461, 291K)

>source engine
>Hammer editor

Attached: just_kill_me_already.jpg (1366x728, 392K)