I have Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz overclocked to 4 GHz

I have Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz overclocked to 4 GHz.
How does it compare to Intel Core i7-7700K 4.0GHz? Is it much weaker?

How big a difference is there, and what causes it? They are both 4 GHz... so why are they different in performance?

I am asking because some streamers I see have extremely good fps with Intel Core i7-7700K 4.0GHz, and my fps is not as satisfactory with this Ryzen.

Attached: processor.jpg (1000x1000, 220K)

Other urls found in this thread:

msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-MORTAR#support-cpu
asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-B450-PLUS/HelpDesk_CPU/
dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/TUF_B450M-PLUS_GAMING/Memory_QVL_For_AMD_Ryzen_2000_Series_Processors.pdf
legitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/farcry5-ddr4-clock-speeds-low.png
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

In what game?

I have a 8700k. 1600x 2600x and a 3600x system so I can tell you a lot about perf.

Also what GPU do you have?

Elder Scrolls Online.
Pic is my full rig.
I know my GPU is not that powerful, but I am told 1000 times that ESO is mainly about CPU.

Is it my GPU in the end that is the bottleneck despite that? I wonder.

Attached: rig.png (258x81, 6K)

So here is one streamers setup. What component would you say makes the biggest difference between my rig and theirs? Because they seem to get consistent amazing fps, while I definitely do not.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme4+ ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
RAM: Kingston 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Video Card: GeForce GTX 1080

>In what game?
The absolute state of Jow Forums

Attached: 1468948457852.jpg (500x378, 56K)

I'm sorry but Zen is an inferior architecture still 2 generations behind Intel.

The 7700k runs at 4.5ghz boost. It's about 15% faster in single threaded tasks than a 2600 at 4ghz. The 2600 might be around 40% faster in multi threaded tasks though. ESO is ST dependent.

Even a 2 core I3 is far superior to any AMD poorfag garbage

You should overclock your memory as well. The game could be latency dependent.

>The 7700k runs at 4.5ghz boost. It's about 15% faster in single threaded tasks than a 2600 at 4ghz.
That's complete bullshit though. Zen 2 has better IPC than Kaby Lake, which is why a 3900X is only ~10% off a 5GHz 9900K at most for gay men despite giving up 20% clockspeed.

Attached: untitled-19.png (722x799, 69K)

Yours won't be at 4Ghz, that's a boost achievable on a single core or perhaps 2 of the 6 cores/12 threads of that chip, and even then situational (it likely sits at around 3.8Ghz or so if you are lucky/load dependant). The i7 7700K also has a base (generally light load/balanced power profile setting) clock of 4.2 Ghz and similarly depending on core loading can run at close to 4.5Ghz (probably around 4.4Ghz) just with basic intel turbo-boost (most users will likely have it overclocked to 4.6Ghz or so on all cores). Even with the similar IPC between your Ryzen chip and that i7, it's clock speed advantage will mean better single-core performance, also the streamer may be running faster memory or a faster graphics card, there's a lot of different variables. You might just be simply CPU bottlenecked depending on how single-core/clockspeed based the game engine is.

>That 8370
Glad I upgraded from my space heater 8350 to the 3700x
My room is gonna be pretty cold this winter though, definitely dont look forward to that.

Streaming isn't just hardware.

Are you using comparable software and in game graphics set up?

he has a 2600 not a 3600
zen 1 is approx same ipc as skylake

where does 3600 come in there?

he literally says it's overclocked to 4ghz, so it will be running at 4 whenever under any load you fucking retard.

2600 will be slower in most of the games, that's a fact. Also having shit ass slow ram of yours does not contribute at all. You should get at least 3200 CL16 to have a nice perf boost.

>that's boost speed
No, afaik non-x 2600 doesn't boost past 3.8 because of PBO limitations, though you can 4/4.1ghz allcore pretty easily at 1.3-1.4v

If I want to overclock my RAM, what would be the first recommendation for settings?

I am using Ryzen Master and it has the option to also overclock RAM afaik.

OP

>If I want to overclock my RAM, what would be the first recommendation for settings?
too many variables for a case by case basis, from motherboard, memory kit SKU, all the way to silicone lottery either the CPU or RAM.

It depends on the game i.e. whether it utilises multi-cores effectively. The game you're playing is probably shit. Also, your ram is slow. Go with 3200 at the very least. Finally, the i7 7000k is basically twice as expensive as the 2600 so why are you complaining exactly?

All my specs are in the thread. Can nothing be recommended based on that?

Yes indeed ESO is infamous for not being able to utilize multi core. It is absolute shit optimization.

But it does not change the fact that the streamers seem to have miraculously good FPS unlike anyone else (pretty much) so I was thinking what I could do first to fix this.

>My room is gonna be pretty cold this winter though

Can confirm this to be 100% true, buy extra blankets now, user.

Attached: true.png (469x499, 39K)

Maybe they have it on lower settings. Or changed a single option like render scale.

OP dont listen to these guys RAM does not increase fps that is a joke. maybe loading times etc... but you wont get more fps out of a game with faster ram that isa FACT !

Sure, but he needs AT LEAST needs 3000mhz ram min

Why is that, pray tell? I do not see OP complain about his loading times or Windows being slow etc. What possible function could he have from investing in faster RAM in terms of the game?

Shut the fuck up.

I just looked then
>2666mhz CL16
Yikes! You're not going to get much of a return from that rubbish. Best bet is to google forums based around low speed high latency memory overclocking, but failing that I'd probably take that RAM and throw it in the bin (or sell it) and get a generic 3200CL16 kit that are much better value these days.

Because Ryzen performance is heavily dependent on memory speed and latency, including gaming performance. You'll get a major CPU bottleneck with garbage memory compared to the same 2600 with over 3000mhz and respectable timings.

I've got a 2700x with a 1080ti and have absolutely no problems in ESO. The 2700x is only slightly more powerful than the 2600, so I would guess the main thing holding you back is your GPU. Getting faster memory might help too. 3000 mhz at minimum.

Attached: poof.png (1146x643, 392K)

Kill yourself sir.

OP here. Thanks for the advice, I will first go grab some new memory.

Any CL16 DDR4 3200 MHz should be fine right? I guess I'll go for 32GB.

#ramlivesmatter

Attached: boofed.png (1134x637, 474K)

>I guess I'll go for 32GB.
As long as it's dual-channel. If you go for 4x8gb, you might run into problems running it at that speed.

Ideal is only two sticks, and make sure you put them in the correct slots according to your motherboard's manual.

try to get CL14/15(lower is better)

Will my motherboard slots support that?

OP

>Any CL16 DDR4 3200 MHz should be fine right?
Pretty much, although I wouldn't bother for 32gb unless you were doing something more than gaming to require it.
If you can find them, one of the last of the 3200CL14 or 3600CL16 kits are even better, albeit at a premium.

Check the specs, asus's website should have a list of compatible memory for your motherboard.

I was just checking and the only one available immediately is a set of 4 sticks. Hmm.

This would be Kingston HyperX Predator. Is it Dual Channel?

OP

>kingston
YIKES

At the moment, most desktop CPUs are dual channel, this means that they only really benefit from 2 sticks of memory when it comes to speed. They can use more memory if you want, but 4 sticks will actually be a small performance reduction, and your motherboard might have difficulty running all 4 sticks at the rated speeds.

This means that for a normal desktop cpu, you want to only have 2 sticks of memeory for best performance. Special CPU's like threadripper are quad-channel, meaning they run best with 4 sticks.

This is what the website says:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors
4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3466(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
ECC Memory (ECC mode) support varies by CPU.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am not sure does this mean it supports better than CL16?

You want something like this
msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-MORTAR#support-cpu

I have an msi board, asus should have a similar list.

asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-B450-PLUS/HelpDesk_CPU/
Here

dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/TUF_B450M-PLUS_GAMING/Memory_QVL_For_AMD_Ryzen_2000_Series_Processors.pdf

Thanks I was just looking at it.

So it seems that 32GB at 3200 MHz is not possible? according to that list... or am I misunderstanding it?

OP

It's possible with some types, but if you look at the populated dimms, there are no 4 dimm setups that run above 3000.

Also the ones that have 2 16gb sticks have relatively loose timings, like cl19. So the best is two 8gb sticks at 3200 with cl 15 or so.

Also I do not see the list say anything about the CL14, CL16 classifications?

>falling for the ryzen meme

that's under the timings category, the first number is the "cl", for example the 1st memory on the list is cl19, which is not very tight timings.

CL15 with 3200 MHz seems a bit rare on shelves.

I would have to choose CL16 3200MHz 2 x 8 GB

or

CL15 3000 MHz 2 x 8 GB

-OP

to figure out the relative speed of the memory, you divide the speed (3200mhz) by the timing (cl15). So for example. 3000mhz cl14 memory comes to 212, and 3200 cl16 is 200. Which means the 1st one is faster.

why didn't you get the 3600 post ryzen 2 launch? its a much better performer even than the 2600x stock vs stock. unless you literally got it from the garbage, there's no reason to get anything below zen2 in 20-fucking-19

Ah I see. In that case my above 2 cases are same speed basically.

-OP

This is a ready made rig that was given to me by a relative. Trying to do what I can with it since I got it for free, y'know.

-OP

I guess I will go for the CL16 3200MHz 2 x 8 GB.

So the consensus is that it would be more trouble than worth it, if I get two of those sets to make it 32GB? Since it will be 4 pieces?

-OP

also, getting the memory to run at the rated speed depends mostly on your motherboard. Usually it's easier to get slower memory to run at rated speeds than faster memory. So the 3000 cl15 would be more likely to run at that speed than the 3200 cl16 on a lower-end motherboard.

If you run 4 sticks, you probably won't be able to get them to actually run at 3200. The speeds in the PDF are for 2 sticks only.

They will probably run at 2933.

You really don't need 32gb unless you are doing video editing or compiling programs. 16gb is more than enough for games atm.

What RAM are you using? The biggest GOTCHA! of first gen zen processors and zen+ is the infinity fabric runs at the speed and latency of your RAM. Users going from 2400 CL17 RAM to 3200 CL14 RAM reported a whopping 20-25% FPS increase in games. In fact using really high end RAM 3600 CL15 RAM can actually make a 4.2GHz 2700X MATCH 4.7GHz i7-8700K stock performance. This is the main reason why intel shit their pants and rushed the i9-9900K release only for users to find out that 90% of Z motherboards don't support the processors "95W TDP", whatever the fuck that means, and will cause the CPU to throttle to 4 GHZ. Anyway assuming at least 3000 CL 15 RAM is used, a 2400G with all cores running at 4GHz would be ~90% within i7-7700K with all cores running at 4GHz.

If you don't have high end RAM then you're better off upgrading to the 3600 which matches stock i7-8700K performance without the need for fancy RAM as the infinity fabric can run at it's own frequency and latency regardless of the RAM being used.

Attached: Ryzen-gaming-memory-opt_1.png (641x483, 53K)

upgrade to zen 2, you won't have to worry about RAM anymore

Attached: relative-performance-games-1920-1080.png (500x370, 28K)

My ram is listed in the thread it is shitty.

Now i have choice to get 3200 cl16 or 3000 cl15. Stores dont seem to stock others.

Go for 3200 cl16 since it's basically the same as 3000 cl15, but the extra 200 mhz will make your infinity fabric run a little faster.

Also, when you install the memory, remember that you need to go into your bios and activate the XMP profile. Otherwise it will run at JDEC speeds (2133)

Then the zen 2 upgrade is the best path desu. You'd get a nice 50% single threaded performance improvement and double the multi-core performance. That'd boost FPS quite dramatically and even stay that way with CPU medium 1080p preset H264 streaming. Your shitty RAM would not hinder performance much since IF now runs at its own clock and latency on zen 2.

Spending dough on RAM upgrade would be foolish at best right now especially since the 3600X will go close to $150 for black friday.

Attached: Untitled.png (731x463, 13K)

>50% single threaded performance
lol, 3600 is better than the 2600, sure. But It's not that much better.

How are g skill ripjaws memory?
Seems its the only brand available.

Op

g.skill is a top-tier brand. You should be fine.

It really is, mainly due to the 15% IPC uplift. Basically zen 2 at 4.0GHz has the same performance as zen+ at 4.5GHz in multi and single threaded performance. The 3600X has about 500Mhz higher clock frequencies than the 2600, combined with the 15% IPC upligt and you have well over 20% better single and multi-core performance. But that's not even the best part, you can use shitty RAM with zen 2 with no noticeable performance degradation because the infinity fabric is now decoupled from RAM speed and latency.

Why are you still adamant on the RAM upgrade when going to zen 2 will give you a bigger performance boost?

Probably because the ram is like $200 cheaper.

>Probably because the ram is like $200 cheaper.
No it isn't, you're not gonna find a 16GB RAM kit worth a shit for less than $150.

I dunno what kind of shithole you live in, but 16gb of 3200 ram is like $105 in Canada.

also, thats $105 canadian, which is like $20 US

With like CL16 latency maybe, if you're not using 3600 CL15 RAM kits for zen/zen+ you're wasting your time and more importantly money.

lol you dumb fuck, OP is looking at buying 3200 cl16, how about you read the thread before saying shit like "WHY ARENT YOU SPENDING 300% MORE MONEY!?!?!?!?"

> if you're not using 3600 CL15 RAM kits for zen/zen+ you're wasting your time and more importantly money.
Also, you are retarded. And a nigger. His board doesn't support higher than 3200.

This g skill ripjaws 16gb 3200 i am about to buy is exactly 100 bucks.

Op

Yeah, that seems pretty normal.

Which is ABSOLUTE DOGSHIT for a RAM upgrade on zen/zen+. Maybe 5% better FPS at best when upgrading from 2666 CL16. Going to zen 2 would net him an instant 20% single threaded performance boost.

That makes this upgrade even more worthless.

OP you are a fucking retard and will want to neck yourself when you notice next to nothing of a performance improvement. This is a mistake.

Attached: aN7K4Do7_700w_0.jpg (500x374, 35K)

legitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/farcry5-ddr4-clock-speeds-low.png

Looks like he will get a ~20-ish fps improvement from the ram alone, retard.

Attached: farcry5-ddr4-clock-speeds-low[1].png (692x626, 24K)

If you are wanting to squeeze every extra frame you can, MSI Afterburner and oc your graphics card too.

YOU DUMB FUCK

Also
>low IQ
worthless benchmark

Attached: farcry5-ddr4-clock-speeds-low.png (692x626, 30K)

Yeah, and? 14 fps in farcry 5, which is a particularly demanding title, more so than ESO. I'd bet the improvement would be even higher. Seeing ~20 fps increase is not crazy depending on his settings.

Op can also OC the new ram

Looks like the ram is the problem, I have a 2600, an rx 580 and 16gb 3000mhz cl14 ram and ESO runs fine.

do i buy 2x 8 gb 3000 mhz ram and use xmp profile to oc 3200 mhz or do i buy 3200 mhz ram and use xmp profile 3200 mhz? pls no bully

buy the 3200 and use the xmp profile to set it to 3200. Then, later if you want to learn about memory overclocking, you might be able to OC it to 3400 or more.

Sorry OP this CPU just blows, I "upgraded" from a i7 2600K overclocked to R5 2600 and got less FPS.
From 250 in Overwatch to 220

The performance gains thin the more you up the graphical settings Einstein.

No, he can't. In fact because it's a B450 and he obviously won't be getting b-die RAM it's probably not even going to boot his fucking PC at more than 2933Mhz

t. failed to get 3200 CL16 to boot on an asrock AND gigabyte MB, had to settle for 2933

From my experience and that of most B450 MB owners you're not even going to see 3200Mhz even with increased voltage. The only RAM that plays nice with B450 is b-die RAM (ie CL14) and you're obviously not getting that. OP listen to the other user, this is a mistake. Is waiting for black friday to get the 3600 zen 2 CPU THAT detrimental to you? It will probably go for 100 Canadian monopoly money somewhere especially as zen 2+ rolls out.

What RAM?

Attached: download.jpg (225x225, 13K)

>sinnerbench
GTFO

>What RAM?
3200 CL16

ITT: poozen owners realize they got punk'd

There you go, you're as retarded as the rest of this joke thread. At least AMD made zen 2 retard proof so you can keep your shitty RAM when you upgrade to a 3600 for that 20% single threaded boost.

They punk'd themselves by not RTFM. Zen+ is amazing IF you get high end 3600 CL15 RAM on the X570s.

Attached: 6ZSDax7.png (767x441, 45K)

>@ 3500MHz

>Zen+
>x570
>Spending money on 3600 when the best price to performance is 3200

> AMD Cope: The Thread