PHP

It seems PHP is here to stay, despite all the alternatives (Python, Ruby, Go, etc).

Why the staying power? What's it got that no one else has?

... Whatcha think Jow Forums, is PHP based or bunk?

Attached: download (1).png (306x165, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=test&runid=26a79c95-5eec-4572-8c94-dd710df659d7&hw=ph&test=json&l=zijyf1-f&c=6
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

PHP is 100% niggerlicious, fuck PHP

It's used way more then anything else. Doesn't mean you should use it, though

Attached: pl-php.png (600x600, 7K)

Python's not even on the map

python isn't supposed to be used for anything high traffic or low latency

I know jack shit about scripting but openib runs on php and im running openib so im fine with as much 'niggerlicious' as it is

It's easy to throw together a site, although I always had a soft spot for perl.

It's easy I like it.

It's popular because it's very forgiving: On top of automatic memory management and dynamic typing, the built-in functions have a lot of magical behavior that make the language "do what you mean" even if you're a novice developer and don't really know what you're doing. (This is also what makes the language so confusing and maddening for developers who DO know what they're doing.)
Plus every Web request executes as its own process isolated from the rest, so when the shitty code you bought off Fiverr inevitably crashes it won't take your whole Website down with it.
Basically the whole language is designed around letting you hire an army of cheap, clueless developers and having the shitty-ass Web app they poop out actually manage to hold itself together for five minutes at a time. Every manager's dream.

Well said, user

PHP is widely supported on shared web servers.

The only advantage.

>Basically the whole language is designed around letting you hire an army of cheap, clueless developers
I'm too busy to learn it so it's nice to have a language like this where I can be productive and hack a few lines of code and then move on to more important things.

PHP confuses and angers the neckbeard, it's peak Chad in terms of programming language
>Chad, we need to update our web app but we're gonna miss the party if we take too long
>No worries ladies, it's made with PHP, it will just tale a second
>Ok done, it's live, let's go to the party, girls

PHP is used because a bunch of shit is already written in it and a bunch of developers already know it.

Same reason C/C++/Java will never die. At least not in my lifetime

>Java will never die
t.

Attached: 6493468_636635676551179914.jpg (570x899, 115K)

PHP is written better for web, it is faster, and it integrates far better. Not to mention how much easier it is at (literally everything)

>What's it got that no one else has?
Lots of legacy code no one wants to touch and devs who don't want to learn better tools. Not even when the better tool is a newer php.

Wordpress

Hackers use it a lot, dont they?

> faster than async javascript/node
Citation needed. Also not easier than node/express

Nah, it's been on the decline for years now.

i feel like an alien because i unironically love php
it's the only language i somehow manage to write thousands of lines and when i test my code it works perfectly first try

Attached: ab2.gif (800x400, 39K)

PHP is unbeliveably based. It makes the hipsters that pick up the flavor of the month language seethe with rage. bitches love PHP developers too.

>what is django

>I have no clue what Django even is

Trips of truth

Attached: javascript-for-kids.jpg (650x650, 102K)

I dedicate my life to the trips of truth

Here's the thing. Why you're on a constant campaign to cry about PHP, people working on and with PHP are accomplishing something.

PHP 7.2+ is unironically great for web.

I have yet to find something more productive and pleasant for webshit than PHP 7.3 + Symfony 4.

Attached: symfony-4-a-1192x570.png (1192x570, 133K)

>what is django
what is django

The Laravel of Python.

>web framework built on top of language with performance issues will fix language's performance issues
django and flask are both the products of Python developers refusing to learn languages actually suitable for the job

Have you tried ?

>Have you tried ?
A few of them actually, all trash.

>Why the staying power? What's it got that no one else has?
legacy code

well, OP
did you really fucking think someone's gonna go and rewrite the entire legacy web from PHP to something else as soon as something "better" pops up?

Which language should I choose for a simple small website? Why isn't php good? I've never done web programming and I would like to start, and I thought php was the standard, but I guess I'm wrong

For a small website it's perfectly fine. Python+Flask would also be a good choice.

Symfony 2 is where it's at.

Old and busted desu.

I watched a few minutes of this hilarious video once where the creator of PHP was saying, "I didn't design the language to be fast or efficient because I just wanted it to be used for templates for C, so recently we made a few improvements, and now you can get rid of half your servers cause it's so much faster, lot's more we can still improve on though." kek

Attached: 1474016862314.png (1280x720, 335K)

absolute hackerthon shit that’s what is is

Based

Sounds like a real programmer.

>2019
>SF4
>Still doesn't support gRPC for killer API!

gRPC is for retards who don't know how to properly implement REST

>10k lines of clusterfuck php written by frontend dev
>figure out what's wrong, bro

Attached: cute-anime-girl-anime-stories-22493975-750-900.jpg (750x900, 60K)

Based

It just werks

AHEM

techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=test&runid=26a79c95-5eec-4572-8c94-dd710df659d7&hw=ph&test=json&l=zijyf1-f&c=6

>Laravel
>8,221

on a 10 Gbit 48 core server

:^)

>Laravel is shit
Who'd have thunk it?

PHP works, fast and easy.

bloat is à la mode

>fast
PHP is dogshit thats used everywhere because CPU progress and kernel/nginx speed literally carry 1000 fold the spaghetti of PHP for all the websites that require 1 req/sec or less.

Based

I love PHP because it is incredibly easy to set up for development and scripting on Windows.
>Download latest build .zip
>Extract to folder of your choosing
>(Optional) Adjust %PATH%
>(Optional) Enable extensions in php.ini
>Run `php your_shit.php` in cmd
>It just werks

Attached: 2ofz573ag9j01.png (2518x1024, 405K)

Most free CMS run on php that's why php is still a thing

Netflix runs on Django
Instagram runs on Django

Hurr durr, if you do not implement your own Webserver in c, it won't perform

Because the lowest common denominator hosting has php, and on that hosting you can throw up pre canned message board and content management systems.

I can respect people who still work with PHP.
But if start a new project in 2019 with PHP, you're cancer.

PHP haves fast deploymeny,bcheap hosting and cheap devs. By the time my webapp gets big I already have enough money to rewrite in Java or something

I'm pretty sure both Netflix and Instagram have at least 10 backend languages including PHP, Java, node.js and C#

Yeah dude the service streaming terabytes of video a day is a python script with fucking django, moron

Reminder: PHP was literally invented by jews

Attached: shekelberger php.png (480x480, 245K)

based phpchad

Attached: 1566296141810.jpg (525x481, 25K)

fucking based

Attached: 1531341451553.jpg (720x540, 35K)

sooo whats the alternative?
nodejs?