/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards
>Great durability (excl L and E series)
>Utilitarian design
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Most models are easy to repair, upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model and spare parts are easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, easier to use when typing
>Good for Hackintoshing

Models before *40 series can be Corebooted

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available for a good price, socketed CPU (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Chink Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, miniDP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

THERE IS NO DISCORD SERVER

Attached: EBBsFHOWsAEFKSJ.jpg (2048x1431, 115K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VVmZwgfXp4I
na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/
item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=557738417807
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pricecheck x1c3 wqhd display? UK

What model is this?

Attached: 1565620951353.jpg (720x1280, 84K)

sir bro that looks like an X61 or T61 but i might be very retarded and wrong

Why shouldn't I just buy a refurbished T440s from Newegg or Amazon instead of trying to scoop around and possibly waste time and money for one on Craigslist/eBay?

overpriced by a lot user, its not worth it

if you find a deal on letgo/fb marketplace/ebay/craigslist/whatever its usually cheaper than jewegg and amazon

First for T60 is still very fast machine

How to configure my trackpoint on ubuntu?

They're like $150 no os on eBay.

Ahem. Recommend me a battery for a t400s.

T61

Attached: thinkpad_t61_laptop__08067.1432061255.1280.1280.jpg (763x600, 333K)

I travel in hot countries all the time, and I am fed up with going through Thinkpads and power bricks non-stop.

Usually the power brick stops working after a while. The wear and tare of packing it into my day-kit twice a day seems to wear out the cables. How do I fold the cable gently the right way? Any of you guys put your brick in a special case for it?

There also seems to be power shorts in the casing, I zap everything from my (hairy) arms (when touching USB ports, hinges or the metal parts around the fingerprint reader), to my legs (when laptop is placed on my knee). The laptop still runs though.I just get the feeling that this can not be good for the machine in the long run.

I love Thinkpads for the think-clit and other things... but the build quality does not seem to be up to scratch anymore for mobile usage in hot countries. I've been using T520, T430s (runs too hot) and W530 (too heavy brick) on the road. Always refurbs.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the best outfit for my purposes, or should I just get used to being zapped, paying for 2-3 bricks a year, and a "new" laptop every year?

Attached: b72oru28o5x21[1].jpg (4000x3000, 1.72M)

what about walmart

get a toughbook bro

What's the best practice for maintaining a battery's health?
I have a x200 tablet and I have two batteries for it. One of them has like 40% of its original charge and I only really use it when I'm at home. The other one has 100% of its original charge because I bought it kind of recently, but I'm worried about degrading its health. When I'm not using it, I charge it to around 70% and store it in my computer bag. I only charge it to anything over 70% when I know I'm going to be using it. I never let its charge drop below 20%
Is this a good way to maintain the health of the battery? Or is it just autism?

Attached: 882808FB-E444-4469-8B39-EED0D9D73C57.jpg (576x1024, 69K)

I used to have this problem. It was probably because of my old-assed computer.

One way to tie it is like in my complex diagram (the anal insertion part is optional).

Attached: multitasking.png (800x800, 132K)

If storing it, always keep it somewhere around 50% charged.

Try not to overcharge or undercharge it often.

Another trick is to remember that its charge cycles are a limited resource.

So don't keep it in at home, when you're about to go out, pop that battery in and go. Then whe you get settled back at your place, remove the battery & plug into the charger again.

Or just buy batts ever year or so.

Does it have a trackpoint? Is it actually "good" below the surface, or is it just sturdy when it comes to dealing with kinetic impact from outside?

You actually drew that now or is it an old meme-pic? Trying to decipher it. My 170w brick will not fit up my arse, but a 90w travel one might. Thanks... I guess.

Never had issues with old round-connector powerbricks, I always fold them cables giving it enough tolerance in both sides of the connector (around 3 inches on both sides) my t430 (bought brand new) served me well through college and 2 years of internship + 1 year of job with daily abuse and only use the original brick that came with it

Okay I’ll leave it at 50% when I store it instead
Oh yeah I take out the good battery as soon as I get home (unless I wanna charge it bit before storing it)
I wouldn’t mind buying a battery every year since OEMs are pretty cheap on eBay but i’m Just worried about the supply drying up in the coming years.

I have an Elitebook G2 and it cant play youtube video 4k properly, stutters and I get about 1 frame per 10 seconds. Running Win10. Is this normal?

I bought a T440p but it'll take some time to arrive.
Some questions: if I were to go all out and purchase the i7-4880HQ would I even be able to use RAM sticks with frequencies higher than 1600Mhz? if I want to adjust the iGPU mem. in the BIOS do I need to update it? can I use other wireless cards with an up to date bios or will I need something else? can I use an alternative wireless card from the M.2 slot? how long does the 57+ battery last? can I just use plasti dip to re-do the lid coating?

Attached: 1560489872916.jpg (1569x2829, 393K)

kys 3dpd nigger

who would even want to install mac os gross.

I'm using 1867 MHz RAM in my T440p. iGPU RAM adjust was in the BIOS menu from the first firmware iirc. Pretty sure it has a wifi card whitelist. I replaced the 2.4 GHz-only 802.11n card it came with, with an Intel dual band 802.11ac that is also on the whitelist. I haven't seen a modded BIOS but I haven't looked in a long while. Mine has the 9-cell battery that sticks out the back, and it gave me about 10 hours when it was new. Dunno about plasti-dip, lid finish on mine is near pristine minus some scratches, and I'll probably just use solvents to remove it if it gets nasty.

Attached: Clipboard01.png (686x797, 28K)

>Pretty sure it has a wifi card whitelist
? Any idea if there's a list of compatible cards?
Also, how quick did your battery degrade? how does it perform right now? can you run it off the power plug without the battery?
>I'll probably just use solvents to remove it if it gets nasty
I think I'll do this: youtube.com/watch?v=VVmZwgfXp4I

I think just the ones that it was offered with..?
Battery gets like 2-4 hours or so now depending on load. I got it mid 2014.

Anyone here manage to get a 4980hq to work on a t440p?

Got 200$ to spend on a Thinkpad. What should I get? (Willing to do some upgrades including the SSD and processor).

x230

Tips on spray painting my lid?
What kind of paint do I buy. On touch screen models how would you keep the paint off the screen?

What color are you going for? If it's white, jizz works well.

Is removing the CMOS battery for a while enough to get rid of a supervisor BIOS password on the T440p?

lol no

Nope, there's no clearing it. Either get the password from the previous owner, or give it back if you're Tyrone.

T440P owner here
Should i buy:
i7-4700mq (from i5-4330m)
or
512gb m.2 ssd
or
8gb ram

get a mac

M.2 SSD + data disk in the HDD bay + second data disk in a DVD bay caddy

You might not like this answer but it depends on what you see as the most limiting. If you don't have any ssd right now I would go with that because it will do the most to make things feel snappy.

i mean performance in general is kinda slumpy...
I just bought a 500gig evo ssd for cheap and thought it would be good to stock up on a m.2 ssd (lots of deals rn on ebay & aliexpress) (and yes - I do need the storage)

But CPU is a big upgrade IMO and its also the most expensive (price of m.2 ssd and the 8gb ram)

Attached: 1563040532766.jpg (968x857, 149K)

I have a t440p and everything is very snappy. I have opened multiple programs like Inventor and word and Visual Studio and it handles all of it very well. I did go for the risky i7-4980hq upgrade so it could be that. I have 8gb of ram an run win10 from 128gb evo. I don't think the 4700mq is much slower than the 4980hq

This. I just have the stock 240 GB Intel SSD, a 1 TB data disk in the DVD bay, 4700MQ and 16 GB RAM. I looked at the 4980HQ but the benchmarks didn't look enough better than the 4700MQ I already have to justify the cost.

Yeah I got it for the improved integrated graphics and the novelty of the whole adapter thing that I thought was cool. I had a i5- 4300m before and comparing it to similar performing 4900mq it wasn't much more.

>improved integrated graphics
I just use the GT 730M for anything """intensive""". For actually intensive things I use my desktop.

The integrated graphics in the 4980hq are more powerful than a 730m and uses less power and cost less for the base model, and doesn't cost much more than a 4900 and is slightly more powerful, the only real drawback is you have to buy from a Chinese website through an agent. I've heard some people say to stay away from the 4980hq but from what I've seen, I've only seen 1 person had it not work.

I am having an underwhelming experience since I use my T440P docked connected to my 144hz monitor (desktop replacement),
>dont gaym but have the gt730m and any VN or light 3D still runs at single digit frames
>sometimes processes get so laggy the my intel drivers crash and whole screen freezes
Ive always found windows a bitch to run compared to Linux (since its obfuscates the issue and I have had Windows 10 just straight up corrupt the launcher after cold reboot and had to reinstall)

But Wangblows is still better for me since i need VS and need 'productivity' application for Uni

Attached: download.png (600x571, 429K)

>Does it have a trackpoint?
no
>Is it actually "good" below the surface, or is it just sturdy when it comes to dealing with kinetic impact from outside?
they resist impact, water, humidity, salt, extreme temperature, sand and whatnot. They describe it as "weatherproof".

I don't have any of those issues but my T440p only has the iGPU.
Running Win10 LTSC.

i love my dead gay laptop

Attached: x61s.jpg (3024x4032, 2.27M)

That is very strange because I have never experienced any of these issues. If you've always experienced these issues from fresh install it sounds like something might be wrong. I'm running iGPU with 8gb ram 4980hq and ssd and it runs very comparable to my desktop(not with games tho of course)

any windows usb image I touch gets fucking cursed, I ve never really had this stuff with linux (expect xorg)
everything is snappy up until i try multitasking
>open more then 7+ tabs on chrome
>60% of ram is gone

>open VB ,Discord and Chrome
>crashes 30% of the time, have to reboot

>VM's run like garbage on my dual core

Having the worst start to a semester

Attached: seinfeld.png (1600x900, 2.23M)

>What's the best practice for maintaining a battery's health?
1.Don't have a garbage machine that is constantly powering itself via the battery when it's plugged in.
2. Don't use the battery all the time. There's no magic bullet that will make a battery last for a billion cycles.
Subjective Protip: I find that big batteries last a lot longer than small ones. There are obvious reasons why this would be true, e.g. 4 cycles of use to a shitty small battery will only be 1 cycle of use to a battery that's 4x as big. Also if your battery was too small to begin with, it will be worthless once it's at 40% capacity, while an oversized battery is still acceptable to use when it's down to 40%,

Where can I get genuine batteries to fit my W520? The lenovo site does have them but they only ship within the US.

How’s it handle games?
Same for you I would like to compare.

Can the dGPU on a t440p be removed?

No but it is possible to change out the entire motherboard and keep the rest of the components including cpu

No but it can be disabled

With the Iris pro 5200 iGPU graphics, I haven't tested many games with it but I can say that from what I've seen of other benchmarks and from my own experience it can play modern games at medium to low settings at 720p at 40+ fps. If you have any suggestions for some games, if I have it I will try it.

I doubt it could handle the Witcher 3 on low, how about ark survival evolved?

do you think i can steal an base T470 for only 200 canadian shekels

Attached: chocolate space jesus.jpg (960x835, 113K)

Looking to upgrade from my i5 X220, would something like a newer W series be a good choice? want something with dedicated graphics to play games like minecraft and simple games, Sims 3 and maybe 4.

Seen a couple with K1000m's and quad i7's for around $600NZD. Is that a good price or should I snoop around for something cheaper?

I don't have ark, but keep in mind that while the 4980hq is as far as I know the best possible graphics for a t440p, they still aren't amazing. I have tried skyrim and it is perfectly playable at low settings 720p. What really surprised me tho was when I tried shadow of mordor. At low settings 720p it is very playable at most times being 40-60fps. Oh and it plays minecraft very well. I've also seen some GTA V gameplay that looks promising at 720p 40-60fps.

you don't really need dedicated graphix to play minecraft

With mods I do, and the other games especially the sims really like having a dedicated gpu.

I’m surprised it can handle shadow of Mordor but Skyrim only on low.

I'll try it on medium and tell you how it goes

I only have patience for the skyrim intro scene right now but it is between 30-50 on medium

Is the T440p with the quads upgrade really that good or is it just shilling?

Not bad. Considering it’s onboard gpu I wonder how much ram speed makes a difference. I remember with and apus it was huge.

it performs like a desktop 3770, so pretty gud for a laptop

>supply drying up in the coming years.
Same here, but that's decades away, and by that time we'll most certainly have a bigger open hardware scene.

It's drawn now. Ignore the ass. You hold the charger like a cellphone, but with two fingers out.

Then as you wrap the cables along the thin sides of the charger you close your two fingers on the cord. This doesn't unecessarily bend the cable, or the socket. Finally you wrap the velcro around it.

The end result looks like the picture on the bottom right. The key is not to bend the wires too tightly, and not to stick your fingers in someones anus accidentally in the process.

Yeah I have a 3770 in my desktop and a 4980hq in my t440p

Does anyone experience any flickering after modding your thinkpad to FHD? My T430 flickers whenever it's being directly charge from the AC but works well on the battery alone.

Why can't I find a 4980HQ on eBay? I saw the chink agent post, instructions please.

Is the T450s a good meme to fall for?
I want a X250 but they only come in 1366x768?

Attached: file.png (1100x653, 1.38M)

That's a T60, T61 doesn't have the IBM logo.

both the x250 and t450s come in 1366x768, 1600x900 or fhd ips
or just upgrade the screen yourself faggot this is Jow Forums

If you're on windows, can you run this benchmark for me, pretty much the only game I play and kinda a deal breaker. Thanks.

na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/

Let me tell you friend, getting a 4980hq seems sketchy as hell, but for me it was worth it in the end because it worked. The only place on the internet that sells 4980hq is taobao, and the easiest way to buy from taobao is with an agent.
I used superbuy and I live chatted with an agent and asked if the product was what I wanted it to be.
The way it works is that you buy pay superbuy to buy it from the chink seller, then when it arrives in their warehouse you pay shipping to get it shipped to you. In total mine was about $160 USD (including shipping). After it arrives in their warehouse they take inspection photos(are kinda shit, hard to see detailed model number). If you decide that you want to actually keep it(I think they allow money back for a bit if it is still in their warehouse) you pay for the shipping then wait(To Iowa it took maybe a week after being shipped from china, in total at most 2 weeks).
go to superbuy.com and paste this link in the search item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=557738417807
choose package eight and order it.

new guy here,

what's the difference between E series and T series? i saw some with the same cpu, same ram, same look and same panel.

I'll give it a shot what presets

E-series is consumer oriented and isn't as durable as the T-series because it's built out of inferior materials.
I don't know how much it actually matters with the newer ones though because lelnono's probably using cheap plastic in everything these days.

Just run default, should be 720p, thanks user, if you have too much spare time you can run a default but with 1080p too. Thanks so much.

fuck u

Nah fuck you leather man

Attached: 1551331067314.jpg (400x303, 11K)

i was looking at an E580 compared to some T580 and was just shocked, they were essentially the same thing. it's a huge gap in price difference.
Does anyone here own a more upto date E series?

He's right and you know it. The old T series use to mean something. After Lenovo took over build quality depreciated every generation they might as well be labelled Es.

Is a R61i in very good condition for £35 ($42) a good price? Its hardly been worn down.

I repaired my friend e431 (edge) or something. It does it's jobs I guess. Repairing it is quite easy, I was just replacing the fans, cmos, and thermal paste btw. The screen is original which is dogshit as expected. The supposedly "matte" body feels like burned old tire I'm not sure why. Definitely feels cheaper than x230 which I own.

Its also a T5250? I'm not very good with ThinkPad so help me out?

How do I find what's the maximum RAM each thinkpad supports? I have both X201 and T420, bought 16 GB kit and it works in T420 but not in X201.
Both laptops have documented 8GB max on lenovo's site.
And yes I need as much as possible for VM.

Attached: voilette beane ttmbfsnd4921.jpg (960x1444, 70K)

At that kind of price I hardly doubt there's any room for buyer's remorse. Just buy it and regret later, if at all.

T5250 refers to the CPU, it has a Core 2 Duo T5250. As for whether it's a good price or not, I wouldn't be able to say.

Ok thanks I'll tell the seller I'm picking it up

Is an X240 with 8GB RAM, i5-4300U, 128GB SSD and 768p TN a good deal for 180€?

I ran it on high desktop and then on standard laptop, standard laptop felt much smoother

Attached: Capture.png (488x135, 147K)

Attached: Capture2.png (478x128, 138K)

Looks good, thanks user, I might have to pick one up now. Someone nearby is selling one for $200 near me, he has already upgraded the panel too.

With a 4980hq?