Was he actually the smartest programmer ever?

Was he actually the smartest programmer ever?

Attached: Terry Davis.jpg (900x900, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mBgIBF9Y6PE
youtube.com/watch?v=NHrugBhQfvA&t=956s
youtube.com/watch?v=SHBeLzTThWo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I just don't understand how anyone can program assembly for a dead architecture for ticketmaster.

Probably not but he was fucking based and absolutely brilliant. I literally shed tears when I saw his last video and then found out

Attached: terry-hello.gif (302x218, 2.17M)

Because his compilers weren't niggerlicious.

>probably not
youtube.com/watch?v=mBgIBF9Y6PE

Considering he made a language and an OS and still knew a lot about science and tech while he was clinically insane he might as well be the smartest programmer.

No, Jon Von Neuman was.

T.O.M.E.K. would like to speak with you youtube.com/watch?v=NHrugBhQfvA&t=956s

t. MIT nigger

i fucking wish

DJB
But being able to make an OS with such severe mental illness is impressive.

What was so special about how TempleOS ran?

R I N G Z E R O
I
N
G
Z
E
R
O

I only know of one rockstar programmer: John Carmack

Anyone else that famous besides Terry here?

Maybe not the smartest ever, but he was certainly willing to challenge existing academic ideas. Something that is hard to find nowadays.

No. Many, many programmers with skills on par or above his. The difference is Terry was a schizophrenic and debilitated by his mental illness. As a computer guy he then ended up putting his efforts into creating his own OS. Many programmers could accomplish what he did, but they're not motivated enough to do it. It's a big investment of time for many years. Schizophrenia and God gave Terry purpose and drive to do what he did.

The sad part is how he derailed in the last couple of years of his life, but then again, his life circumstances were going to get unstable anyway due to his parents' age, and his mother passed away about a year after he was kicked out of the house.

He scored a point for the good guys.

Fabrice Bellard comes to mind. Author of QEMU,FFMPEG,tinyc and others

Attached: 1565895122404.jpg (600x600, 84K)

Fuck me, just read his wiki page. What the hell is that guys IQ???

We have lots of geniuses in the last 60 years or so of programming. Von Neumann and Dijkstra come to mind as probably the most brilliant.
I know it's probably not the answer you were expecting, because the code written by them has become obsolete, but their ideas persist in the work of all modern programmers.
Time will tell if Carmack (or even Terry, God bless) will enjoy similar status

knuth is the biggest G IMO

No doubt, bit when I said rockstar programmer I don't mean niche names only heard within academia. I mean like Elon Musk or hell even Zuckerberg 10 ten years back

holy fuck this guy has divine intellect

He sold that 16-core Xeon to buy a wedding ring for "Dianna". Feelsbadman.

128 gigs of ram 5 years ago

>crashes sometimes

Made his own OS, complier, and flight similator from scratch
Hes up there

One thing that sticks out is how he sometimes sounded like an edgy 14-year-old. In the OP you get that vibe too. A part of Terry got stuck in his teenage years.

In the OP picture of him, I meant.

Attached: download (1).png (300x480, 27K)

is there a channel that archived terries videos ?

>that moment when Terry realized his minuscule wh*teboi dick would never satisfy Diane

Attached: 1565797230739.png (512x512, 281K)

Terry's concept of combining religious ritual with technology is ahead of its time. Making offerings, writing hymns, and praying in a digital context will one day be widespread. Hopefully Terry's final idea, an oracle website where people can vote on prayers and offerings will be built.

yes.

I doubt it. Still, his insanity may or may not spark neurons in his brain a different ways relative to other decent human being and he could've thought of interesting/novel concept(s) that would've elude the thought process of other normal people, even the smart ones

*blocks your path*

Attached: lennartpoettering.jpg (620x411, 36K)

Probably one of the best. Maybe not the absolute smartest ever, but he truly was a mad genius.

Nigga Frank Herbert pioneered the very concept 50 fucking years ago

Maybe not the smartest but the most committed. Program everything from absolute scratch using machine code tables up to a relatively functional operating system is a big feat nobody is willing to do anymore.

No. He couldn't even implement a generic usb driver. In his own words:
>I don't stand a chance working in natuve hardware anymore

His skills as a programmer are highly overrated. For someone who spent all of his time programming, he never really improved. Only a retard easily impressed by low level shit thinks he's even close to the best. The only slightly interesting thing he ever made was the HolyC JIT compiler.

The best programmers are working on CAS and symbolic computing optimizations and you will never hear about them, because it's unsexy work that's way over everybody else's head.

Attached: 1562568424824.jpg (727x468, 64K)

yes

> Smartest programmer
> wants people to use his OS
> no graphics
> shitty website
> r34l smart

Has anyone here ever ran that POC os?

yes.

He was in direct contact with god, what the fuck do you think?

i miss him.

Attached: 1566284539562.jpg (1076x1408, 1.01M)

Fuck you, Hampus.

Attached: terry.jpg (800x486, 345K)

Isn't he the same guy that made aboriginal linux?

he's tje smartest programmer that ever fucking lived motherfuckers

>schizo boomer

it was minimalist, that's it

>2mb
genuinely impressed, most programming languages are bigger than that, by orders of magnitude even

2.1 retard

gorilla nigger detected

that was the most involved comeback ive ever fucking seen
terry come back

naw, just autistic

he would do the same thing every day(which a normie is incapable of) which is how he was able to learn programming

he takes discipline and tenacity more than it was intelligence

youtube.com/watch?v=SHBeLzTThWo

Attached: ECPJeRLUYAA0WyL.jpg_large.jpg (640x640, 107K)

it was discipline and tenacity*

>this will make distro
>WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT
>oh thats makehome

Attached: 657998657.png (683x623, 297K)

because hes wearing a backwards ballcap? theres a practical application too. in construction this is done to just keep your neck from fucking burning. and sure wearing it inside is debatable but maybe he was simply paranoid of his neck getting burnt by the light bulbs or something? or just didn't like their warmth on the neck or something. i doubt its this childlike wonder and i cant see you saying the same about his clear function over form comfy ass shirt

it wont run on modern machines as far as i understand it, gotta run it in virtual machine and ive ran it. it has an easy to understand tutorial and overall is rather intuitive. of course its still novel, it cannot replace my computer in its current state but its definitely something to novel at

It won't let me install it in the virtual machine.
I can only run the tour.:\

probably the most incompetent and overrated corporate cuck to ever be given the privelige to shit, stomp, fart and piss all over the worlds largest free operating system.

Anyone who has used HolyC knows it was commissioned by God himself. This man was a saint, dedicated his life to a divine mandate.