NCURSES = FAGGOTRY

There is no rational reason to use ncurses/TUI-based applications on a local machine with a full graphical environment available.
It provides absolutely no advantage over an actual GUI.
>muh cli is more powerful!
CLIs are not the same thing, and they can be embedded just as well inside fully graphical applications. In fact, a shell is not, and should not be confused with a terminal/terminal emulator, nor should it be bound to its limitations: the former is a textual interface to the system, which is in principle device/technology-agnostic, the latter is just an old textual IO device/a program emulating said device.
TUIs literally rely on capabilities of actual terminals from decades ago, see termcap/terminfo. People writing ncurses-based interfaces nowadays are unironically programming directly against state-of-the 70s technology, and expecting others to run a literal emulator for such technology in order to have them run.
I find it ironic that TUI-based applications are perceived as more "minimal" and "lightweight" when this is often far from the truth. Anything that requires literal emulators for other devices to run is anything but "minimal" in spirit.
Wanna know something even more hilarious? ncurses has an *intentional* memory leak by default: linux.die.net/man/3/curs_memleaks
To sum it up, if you use a single ncurses-based application anywhere besides ttys, SSH sessions or any device which doesn't provide a full graphical environment, you are a gigantic faggot and should be hanged, drawn and quartered.
/rant

Attached: 1553350470840.png (522x409, 412K)

Yet even though they’re emulating terminals, they’re still more lightweight than
>Windows applications
>Gtk applications
>Qt applications
>MacOS applications
>Electron applications

Show me where TUI user touched you.

I like how they look

what's the Jow Forums approved gui toolkit?

neckbeards on suicide watch

all machines may be used as remote machines. I have ncmpcpp and pulsemixer in a tmux session, I can ssh into my pc with my phone from bed and put on music

Tcl/Tk

I had better and more pleasent "responsive UI" using ncurses programs then any other type of application

qt5
is that pic from shin megami tensei?

didn't read
have sex freak

lmao no they are not

What if I simply like the design of TUI applications?

you can make TUI without ncurses

Based

Sure, but OP also seems to be against TUI applications in general.

And your proof is... Where? You're the one making these assertions that ncurses/TUIs are not as lightweight as people think. How about providing evidence of your claims. Anecdotal bullshit and "because I said so" doesn't count, dipshit.

wxWidgets

You have no idea what you're even talking about, do you? ncurses does not have an intentional memory leak. It holds memory for things like refreshing, which makes it difficult to diagnose memleaks in ncurses applications. The manpage linked explains how to turn OFF the reservation of memory to make it easier to find memleaks in an ncurses application. It's like removing the haystack to find the needle. It's not a needlestack. Dumbfuck.

>umbuntu the african maid got into his Dutch masters PC again when he was away for lunch
>cant figure out how to look up pr0ns
>REEEEEEE THE SOFTWARE IS CALLED NCURSES
>N*CURSES
>ITS A CURSE ON US BLACK FOLKS! WE NEED TO BAN DIS SHIT

TUI/ncurses UIs arent inherently better, but many of them are well designed (or those remaining have been selected over time so only the good remain). I tend to think the limited visual and interactive scope allows devs to focus more on interaction design and not worry about tweaking stupid UI minutia.
For example, at my last job 90% of UX effort went toward choosing fonts, color schemes, antialiasing style, curving corners and glyph styles, all the while almost no keyboard shortcuts worked correctly and its interface workflows were cumbersome (5 clicks here, obstructive modals). It was impossible to ever reach a state of flow with the UI.

ncdu is nice

Your mum reached a state of flow. On muh diiiiick.

It's from MTG

pic related is a feminist harpie and her onions cucks

Cool blog

I wholeheartedly agree.
The only curses based application I use is htop

They provide a better cross-platform experience than regular UIs. I pretty regular switch between OSX and Linux and all cross platform TUI things are either bloated (electron shit) or provide inconsistent UX. TUI stuff ends up working well on all platforms.

I like them because I can use them remotely with ease. Go screech autistically somewhere else.

Motif. It's open source under the LGPL now.

Attached: 1539215028917.png (1144x888, 337K)

Attached: source-s-dude-trust-me.png (279x128, 21K)

You can use them transparently through a serial port.

>There is no rational reason to use ncurses/TUI-based applications on a local machine with a full graphical environment available.
Thanks for making a case for ncurses/TUI-based applications over the net. If you want to use them locally is up to you

these types of posts are great because they generate discussion. even though op is a humongus faggot, this is so much more interesting than AMD vs Intel and X PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE IS BAD posts

>claim something with no proof
>have said claim rejected with no proof
>DOOD WHERE IS UR SOURCE

yes op, that is how burden of proof works