Skimmers and prevention

My card got skimmed. They tried adding it to samsung pay and tried making a large purchase at a store. My bank declined it thankfully and locked the card. How the fuck do you detect skimmers? I tried the wiggle and never had a problem. I only use my card at gas and where I work.

Attached: skimmer-learn-header.jpg (878x442, 171K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hunter.electroniccats.com/
criminal-justice.iresearchnet.com/crime/intelligence-and-crime/3/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I would never bring a physical card with me ever again if Costco could just fucking update their gas station card readers to support mobile payments.

I'm not responsible for fraudulent transactions, just review your bill once a month you moron.

I guess mobile payment is the way? At the same time it's also how they easily use your skimmed info. I didn't even think about using pay by phone.
It wasn't my credit card and they locked it the second they tried to use it. My banks good

I wish credit / debit cards would just accept Google Authenticator for MFA. That or text message.

I don't live around nogs

I wish it were harder to add and use a card the first time on Samsung pay and other services. Someone used it to fraudulently make a $100 purchase where I work and the owner of the card called about it. Nothing we could do.

Gas stations are struck pretty much constantly. The locks on the pumps use common keys and the skimmers are installed internally so you'll never find one attached to the outside.

just use cash

>he willingly misses out on points
poorfag

You can use an app/phone to pay instead of the card.

That makes me walk into the station and talk to someone

based post-zoomer

Many card skimmers use the same cheap Bluetooth chipset, with the default settings.

There are cellphone apps that will scan for these devices, and warn you if they detect one. It might be a good idea to do this before you put your card in an ATM, gas pump, or vending machine.

Cool I'll try this app I found. Should I tell the gas station if I detect one?

Cares about "points".

Pathetic.

only if you are a good boy user

Attached: golden-retriever-istock.jpg (931x524, 76K)

Good!

Attached: 1565491058429.jpg (320x240, 20K)

>muh points
good goy

hunter.electroniccats.com/

This guy gets it!

Attached: 9a6.php.jpg (398x500, 23K)

Not in America. Our gas stations don't even have Chip+Pin. Its just magnetic strips like the olden days

Sounds like a cool idea I'll look up some tests

What flyover shithole do you live in? I live on the eastern end of the rust belt and not once have I ran into a POS machine that wasn't AT LEAST chip+pin though most of them offer Google/Apple Pay

It's sad to think that someday physical currency will be a thing of the past.

I'm like an hour from Baltimore in PA and it's all insert at pump but I'm not sure if it's using a chip or strip. Does ask for pin. Still got skimmed

Although it's a novel effort, there's guaranteed way detecting skimmers since some can get pretty damn creative or comprehensive.

Honestly, if you're that paranoid, several banks offer cardless ATM's, as well as it wouldn't hurt to get and use a credit card, since they're easier to recover from after fraudulent activity. With a debit card, it's directly your money that you're losing, while a credit card offers an extra buffer of protection since it's imaginary money that you're spending until you actually pay off your credit.

Bullion will never stop being a thing.

Just use cash for everything, problem solved.

I rarely ever use ATMs and if I do I literally check it to best of my ability
>jiggle the card reader hard
>check the keypad if it has a false one on top
>check for any hidden cameras above the keypad
>cover fingers anyway

The germophobic part of me is happy that I won't have to deal with shit-infested bills and coins ever again, but at the same time I'm worried about having all my money in the bank where I have to rely on other people (who can potentially be complete morons) to keep it safe.

Wonder if the RFC cards will solve this problem or just make everything worse

why would I use nfc from my phone instead of from my card

just another way for jewgle to farm my data

do amerimutts not have nfc on their cards?

Attached: IMG_20160108_112230.jpg (4032x3024, 2.55M)

Do gas stations in your area accept bullion?

The independent one run by a jewish guy down the street from me will actually take silver for spot.

yea, USA why are you so backwater?

Attached: emv-chip-credit-card.jpg (650x300, 48K)

I don't think they even have chips yet.

Attached: Fotolia_88688702_Subscription_Monthly_M.jpg (1682x1129, 504K)

We have chips you dumb nigger monkeys.

get a metal wallet so they wont be able to scan your chip if youre really paranoid.

I legit get free shit from credit card loyalty points every month...

It's literally free money.

Cringe and filtered

Only poor people care about that shit
People with money use travel rewards cards

Seattle Washington

Not accepted at half of retailers, treated suspiciously at half of remaining ones.

do americans really?

Attached: 1563787901274.jpg (800x719, 90K)

Tinfoil your wallet

By using cash like an intelligent person. Credit cards are a fucking insecure scam and economic slavery.

I literally take a coin to the magnetic strip and scrape it away. This means that, in person, my card can only use the chip (which means I need to go inside to pay for gas). When I shop online, I always use tokenization. If your card provider does not offer tokenized numbers, then use the Token app. You can read more about them at jointoken.com

>mfw my bank doesn't even give out cards with a magnetic strip anymore

If you are in the US, what bank do you use?

Canada, just a local credit union

Fucking pisses me off The reader is right fucking there and they already accept it in-store. FUCK

>they don't just pay inside

Attached: 1561933821024.gif (260x377, 2.68M)

Nogs are smart enough to skim cards? I thought you guys said they were subhumans with

criminal-justice.iresearchnet.com/crime/intelligence-and-crime/3/
>On average, the IQ for chronic juvenile offenders is 92, about half a standard deviation below the population mean. For chronic adult offenders, however, the average IQ is 85, 1 standard deviation below the population mean. A study of Texas inmates who entered the prison system in 2002 indicated that approximately 23% of the inmates scored below 80, almost 69% scored between 80 and 109, and only 9.6% scored above 110 (Ellis & Walsh, 2003).

>To give readers an understanding of the relative proportions of individuals with IQs in those ranges, we offer the following statistics, from Ellis and Walsh (2003): Only 9.18% of individuals in the general population score at or below 80, 63.39% have an IQ between 80 and 109, and 25% have an IQ at or above 110. These data clearly show that low-IQ offenders (below 80) are substantially overrepresented in the Texas prison population (23%–9.18%), that those with scores between 80 and 109 are modestly overrepresented compared with the nonincarcerated population (69%–63%), and that individuals with IQ scores at or above 110 are underrepresented in the Texas prison population (9.6%–25%). Data from every other state reveal the same pattern.

>free
Nothing is free.

I do love how Americans say they are the best and have all these flashy financial stuff but are so low IQ that they still swipe cards and call the cops if someone uses contactless because they’re “hacking the machine”.

> so low IQ that they still swipe cards
Nobody swipes cards anymore. It literally tells you to insert the card of you try to swipe it.
> and call the cops if someone uses contactless because they’re “hacking the machine”.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

What's he paying?

Higher prices that cover the transaction fees.

He pays that regardless.

I just use cash everywhere

Stop handing your card to people like stop using fast food drive thru. Also, it probably wasn't a skimmer. It was more likely someone on the inside. Either at the bank or with the company that runs the store(s).

I’m just pointing out that it’s not “””free”””.

You're right. With a cashback card, it's less than free. Because you have to pay an increased cost regardless of whether you use cash, debit, or credit, we can't consider this an additional cost. So a card without any rewards is "free," so long as you don't accrue interest. Then, saving anywhere from 1-3% off the total due to a cash back card means that you are actually saving money by going this route.

Everywhere I go in New York is now pay with Google or Apple pay. Even gas station pumps. It suddenly happened out of nowhere.

I wish that was the case here. The big two stores in my small town are Walmart and a Kroger store. Neither accept Apple or Google pay. Both want you to use their proprietary shit so they can datamine you.

After CurrentC failed you’d think they would learn that consumers don’t want to have a different system for each store.

yeah but it's not free. a discount is a discount. it still costs you money. nothing is free.

>2019
>magnetic stripes
The absolute state of Americans.

Did yuros get rid of the magnetic stripes? Ours are only there for backwards compatibility.

hmm, if there only was a way to obtain the cash stored in your bank account

Attached: 041.png (255x242, 91K)

don't need a card for that
t. don't have a card

Honestly, the best thing to do is physical checks.
I always tug on the card entry device, try and lift up the pin pad with my nails, look under the "top" of the thing.
I've got weirs looks on occasion, but I've not experienced cars fraud in the 8 or so years I've been doing it.

Pay with an app instead.

Guns don't count, Jamal.

In yuro all I've seen is contactless nfc.

seriously though, do you think you need a card to withdraw money from your bank account?

Are you kidding? Jamal would get shot just entering a bank.

Almost every terminal here accepts chip. Contactless is embedded in almost all of them but most businesses haven’t bothered to activate it for whatever reason.

Oh yeah they do accept those, you could made payment with no problem. What I'm saying is I've not seen use those anymore.

Going in to pay for petrol......
>"G'day cunt, number 5"
>$xxxxx
>"Thanks cunt, I don't need a receipt."
You'd be amazed how well this works in Australia. They never want to talk to you.

Attached: 1555797161609.png (378x357, 81K)

The wonderful land of Oz.

Not going to happen user.

The business monkeys would have a shitfit about lack of engagement due to non-streamlined onboarding.

Pay close attention to where you put your card. The thing has to have an anti-skimmer installed, and it should be fully transparent large block so you could easily see if there's anything inside.

>I only use my card at gas and where I work.
there's your fucking problem, faggot. the places you go to have faggots running them. use cash, you stupid cunt.

More accurate.
>"Hello, can I get X on number 5"
>"Hello, may I interest you in any muffins? We have a sale, buy two get one free!"
>"N-no thank you"
>"Alright! Are you a rewards member?"
>"No..."
>"Well would you like to sign up? It's free to sign up and you get points back on purchases that you can use for FREE GASOLINE!"
>"Sorry, no thank you."
>"Are you sure? It only takes a moment and you also get alerts on available discounts! All I need is your name and number!"

True, you didn't do anything. But then the bank did a chargeback and took the money out of your pocket if it was a cc. Otherwise just refunded directly from Visa/Mastercard etc

I'm going to the same gas station near my house every time, they never offer anything other than their card. I got their card just for kicks and I should have accumulated enough good goy points to buy a full tank but I never did. Basically this shit amounts to 2% discount.

>Americans
Seriously, how do you manage to not get yourself killed between getting up and going out of the door?
You sound like you could not be trusted with a knife, and you have fucking guns.

RFID is fucking cancer and needs to go and stay go.
Same for NFC.

>Contactless is embedded in almost all of them but most businesses haven’t bothered to activate it for whatever reason.
because contactless portion of the card can be cloned, and stolen cards can be used for small purchases with no pin or signature required. they're risky as fuck. the banking industries have dug quite a large hole for themselves. they hand out cards that have three different ways of being used. magstripe, contactless and chip w/pin. two of them can be cloned easily and exploited. it is rare to see chip and pin used in a lot of places. it has not been made the standard that must be used, it's treated as another option instead of being part of overall security. they don't give a shit. never have, never will.

Just use cash.

Bank cards have cryptographically secure RFID, it's impossible to clone.

We do, but still over 80% of places don't have a working chip reader. The slot is usuall filled with a piece of cardboard that blocks using it because they didn't "implement it" yet or some bullshit.

They're just asking for problems.

2 years later, after they rolled out the chips and we still can't use them everywhere.

>80%
I know adoption rates have been lackluster but that’s just an ass statistic.

Why do you think that matters? you are still sliding your card into a slot and the magnetic strip on the card will still slide past the potential skimming reader. Idiot.

Contactless payments are overwhelmingly done with phones and is inherently secure. I haven’t even been issued a card with NFC in 7 years. So long as banks are too jooish to add NFC to most of their cards retailers wouldn’t be exposing themselves any more and would actually be adding CYA protection when they get hacked by accepting them. If fraud happens, you disable NFC until you fix your shit. Literally no downsides.

Use sms 2fa on purchases, and also have a daily limit to avoid getting screwed at gun point

Where I work I'm always seeing people carry around huge wads of cash. Like a couple of hundreds, some 50s, loads of 20s, etc. There's no way I'd be able to do that, if someone robbed me that'd be it. At least with skimming I can get the card canceled and money refunded.

>Bank cards have theoretically cryptographically secure RFID, it's practically impossible to clone.
FTFY

The people implementing all the "theoretically" secure methods often make mistakes.
And even if they did not, it simply requires an insanely high number of computations to break the authentication system.
Do those, and you have broken the system. It's anything but impossible. It's very possible. Just "sufficiently" unlikely.
What is "sufficient" is unfortunately up to the bank, and not us.

I work in a major retailer and my store only converted to chip+pin machines at the start of the year.