Today I start learning programming for 9000th time

today I start learning programming for 9000th time
wish me luck guys

Attached: koten.webm (360x360, 1.46M)

When you start learning again do you still remember anything from previous attempts?

u can do it user

Attached: 1564429196374.png (800x600, 356K)

yes

kek
know that feeling

Attached: 1556056272252.jpg (258x245, 23K)

I hope so

Attached: dzwina sytuacja.webm (406x720, 1.22M)

holy fucking jesus christ is this what eastern european cats are like

the cat rested in pace

corgi NOOOO- oh

good boy

I thought he was going to throw it off a plane

See you tomorrow user

I was glad when he landed safely

that cat shattered it's back legs/hips . When it runs away you can see the back of it wobbling . Cat's can sometimes survive high drops, but this was on concrete. poor cat.

landing doesn't mean he didn't break several bones and is about to die
cats are really good at hiding injuries and illneses

well he probably died after few hours, the adrenaline kicked in that's all

At least he protected his head. I hope someone took him to the vet

>the vet
user I...

What do you want to program anyways? You should have a goal, you don't learn something just for the sake of learning, unless you're using it you won't retain it.

3D games

Download Unity and play with it. The benefits of Unity are:

1.) It is a powerful 3D game engine
2.) Huge community of people who will help you
3.) Lots of tutorials and both free and paid-for assets that you can use to start making a game

You are going to have to learn their scripting language, but like I said, it has a big community. Alternatively, go install Godot if you want something "not Unity."

good you created a thread about it. It's not like this thread might distract you.

nevermind, seinfeld marathon is on tv
I love this show

this
simple, free, you may actually make something cool and even make some money from it, you may also get something for your portfolio

I guess you're right
thanks

Taking good advice we’ll done

honestly start with gamemaker and gml there is a lot of obvious structure around your code that makes it easier to understand
gml is similar to c so once your comfortable with gml move on to learning c then from c you can learn whatever you want

FUCK this looked like background of sky and i was anxious while the webm was loading to see if he was throwing a dog off a plane(also liveleak).

just like me math heh but im too busy working always too busy working on my shitty projects

good kitty

>Tfw read every python book for the first 3 chapters
>Have built 10,000 tanks
>Still don't know how to make bonified structure from scratch

It's always
>BABY SHIT TIER
for the first couple of chapters than it takes such a fucking diving leap that I get overwhelmed and spooky myself out of continuing

Attached: 1487831424839.png (1600x1200, 688K)

same

Why bother forcing yourself to do something that is obviously not for you?
Just do something you enjoy.

I enjoy programming I'm just too lazy and stupid to do it

He died, cats aren't immune to gravity and also mental retardation as any cat won't push himself over a cliff

>I play gayms so I know better than others how to make them xD
>too retard to put together two lines of code
No engine is going to save you from that and - assuming you want to sell it on steam - yet not another shittly made indie game is what the market wants.

I don't really want to sell anything I just want to make a game for myself to play
I get neetbux because of brain damage so I don't have to worry about money

the thumbnail literally looks like the dog is about to be thrown out of a plane at high altitude. but it's actually just a 2ft drop into cloudy looking snow.

Attached: sooty.jpg (807x1075, 65K)

Thanks for explaining it to us Satania, it wasn't obvious from watching the video...

Which means it's probably not for you. You can enjoy coding, but if it's too hard for you to understand, than all that positive attitude is pointless. I know, because I'm the same. The first ones to drop out of CS are guys, that wanted to code games for living. Try to find somethink in you life that your both good at, and actually enjoy, or you're gonna wake up as a 22 year old CS drop out with no real working experience, debt, and no degree.

Trying to jump from "having tried" to 3d application is like for a 18-yo kid who doesn't yet know how to operate properly a clutch to jump right into a FIA LMP1 race. Programming is nothing about the language you choose but all about reasoning your way out of a problem, languages are tools, like the car is but is the driver who handles it.
Ignore all advices about various engines, first learn how to put code together, then learn something about datastructures and algorithms. Once you feel confident enough you transition to 3d application.

thank you. I had refused to watch the video thinking it was just going to be the death of a cat, I know how sick and twisted the people on this half 8 chan are.

my cat is terrified to be out on the balcony and claws on to the concrete wall whenever he's brought there

His back half was literally crushed from the impact, most likely causing lethal internal bleeding due to all the sharp bone shards from that went all through his insides, catto probably died the moment the adrenaline wore off

Attached: 1566414048036.jpg (682x533, 379K)

why are dogs so much smarter than cats?

This

what a fucking pussy
just throw it out of it once, it'll face its fears and win

>hump everything
>bark at everything
>consume feces and vomit, sometimes their own
smarter than cats my ass

not that user but can you recommend an online course or book about data structures and algorithms that isn't 1000 pages long so I can read through it without having an existential crisis midway?

It seems to me dogs actually think, whereas cats are just programmed to do things and freak the fuck out when something they're not programmed for happens

Same here , although I'm trying Kotlin, I started reading the doc , if anyone has any resource sites or books, gief

Attached: ratgief.jpg (381x312, 10K)

Natural selection

It can take multiple tries, for me it took three until I finally felt like I could do shit on my own. It depends greatly on what learning resources you get and if there's someone helping you when you get stuck (at least at the start). For me what worked best was to learn just the basics with books and videos and then learn the rest by doing projects. Just don't go crazy on the complexity from the very start as seemingly simple things can be fairly hard to implement on your own.

Damnit that webm made me think the dog was skydiving. Jeez.

>that pic
literally me

Have you read Crash course in python? Its awesome how easy it is.

You seem to be looking at this the wrong way. We all want to be able to just read a short book and be a master of the subject by the end of it. But that's not really how it works. The biggest mistake people make is rushing into things, "let's learn programming next week", "I'll start drawing nice drawings by next month" or "I'll work hard and learn Japanese by next year". The thing in common between all these is that almost everyone that says something of the sort burns out on the idea in no time.

If you want to learn something you need to find a pace that works for you. Maybe it's a chapter a day or just finding an hour everyday to work on something. Just make a learning plan and stick to it. Also you need to reflect every now and then to change your plan, maybe you need to slow down the pace a bit or you finished some material and need to find something else. Just remember that you stick to the plan and if you feel like it's to big of a burden that you need to change the plan instead of stopping.

This is how I learn a lot of things. I have multiple skills I'm learning and I just do a bit for all of them every day and I never feel like giving up. Also, the most important thing is to have fun while learning. Make sure you enjoy it and you'll be sure to finish it. I've discovered all of this the hard way since I've made the mistake of rushing into things myself.

I'm not even trying to master it I just want to be competent enough to apply it what I was originally learning it for. I don't want to invest so much effort on it that I lose track what I truly like to be able to do.

I've had the displeasure of rushing through material and not getting anything solid out of it and taking things slow enough to where I'd simply forgotten after returning to it and in both cases I'd have to refresh.

Two things that make programming fun for me is 1. the obvious which is seeing the results in an executable and 2. feeling like i'm getting one step closer to understanding the goal.

I haven't really done with what you suggest which is do a little effort on multiple subjects so maybe that will make connecting the dots easier. The last thing i'd want is for something to seem like a roadblock if it is integral to this other thing i'm more attracted to.

When learning things to remember or having an easy way to recap the information you've learned. Unless you're able to learn a thing in a short enough span of time to avoid forgetting it and applying all the knowledge often enough that it's ingrained in your brain you need to put a part of the effort to remembering.

What I do when learning something is making notes. Since you write them yourself you can tailer them to be short, but long enough to recall the information. If I really want to know something I use Anki. It's a flashcard application. You make a deck of cards with questions and answers (yourself, other peoples decks won't work for you). Anki will keep track of how often to show you all the cards and by this repetition you'll remember all of it.

Also, it's that you enjoy getting closer to your goals. But if you need more motivation it helps when you divide it up in even more sub goals to help you feel your progression even better. But watch out to not focus too much on your goal, try to find appreciation and fun in the journey towards it as well. You'll probably enjoy writing some toy programs or solving some challenges along the way.

They're just as intelligent, but they aren't as easily trained because they've been domesticated for not as long.

>What I do when learning something is making notes.
I pretty much do that by typing a comment on the side of a statement i'm unfamiliar with. What I don't do pretty much ever is type out an algorithm (or at least what I believe should be the steps) in psuedocode even though I was taught that on the first day of programming I several years ago. I am absolutely mindfucked rationalize it in my head, so I typed it out underneath my code and it seems to make more sense.

I can do something like a factorial because the steps are straightforward even in my head, but right now i'm trying to do a permutation on characters in a string and assuming i'm working with 3 arrays and 2 different indexes that's a bunch of smaller sequences to go through plus parsing ascii values of each character to its numerical value.

Anyway i'll keep at the journey for now. ty

me too.

I thought it was getting thrown out of a helicopter, gladly it was just snow.

Attached: IMG_20190822_184054.jpg (570x428, 38K)

It's because you're not getting payed to do it and you don't actually like it.

I love you :)

He didn't fly so good

Who want's to try next?

> want's
Sorry guys for brain fart.

Since you're trying all those things I'll recommend you org-mode in emacs. It allows you to type note in a markdown like style and also allows you to make executable code blocks. When you're making notes you can also run them and the output will be in plain text in your notes. You can even link those code blocks together and write a whole application that way. This makes org-mode extremely powerful.

However using emacs requires a decent amount of learning as well, simple org-mode usage isn't that difficult to pick up but mastering it is. If you're interested in taking your note making abilities to the next level I definitely recommend it though.

I wish you luck with your journey. Finding a way to accomplish your goals and sticking to them is a great accomplishment. If you find the dedication to do so you will make it.

Lotta loyalty for an adopted dog

i saw live leak and thought he was throwing a dog out of a plane

cats arent fucking human

Attached: helicopter.webm (264x480, 293K)

>Never have a problem learning the language
>Always have a problem finding things to make to apply that skill afterwards
I don't know how anyone can learn to program without making horseshit from that one infographic. The only time I ever made something I wanted to use myself was when I made a bargain bin fortune(6), and I finished it in an afternoon a few years ago without having found a subsequent project to work on since.

Attached: 1563325610987.gif (538x303, 1.4M)

sbcl

hai guys, check out mah programz
Dim i As int = 0x10; i := i + 10; function() { return; } *ptr++ = NULL / 0; def call_sys_stuff():

Where you under the impression that being a programmer is like being a computer handyman? Programming is a specialized skill used for specialized tasks, not something you use to help you in your day to day life

Well... You're not wrong

How can anyone acquire months straight of daily commits to git(hub) repositories (and/or accounts) if they aren't actively working on things that a) interest them and b) are actively useful? I know people like to fudge that shit because they want the internet points more than the actual experience of doing it, but surely they're finding more than one thing they're interested in working on that's applicable to their daily lives, or they wouldn't be doing it for so long. If being an amateur programmer isn't being a computer handyman, then what the fuck is it?

Attached: 1564620725722.png (533x413, 342K)

Some of those people are working for a company or academics, but lots of people are just enthusiastic about it and program stuff as a hobby. It doesn't have to be particularly useful. Lots of people implement shitty text editors or shitty compilers or design shitty languages just for fun and learning. Lots of people also work on open source software in their free time and sometimes at work or while in school.

Attached: image:254863.png (392x200, 39K)

>If being an amateur programmer isn't being a computer handyman, then what the fuck is it?
You're a craftsman
You become interested in a field
I program video games
That doesn't help me in my day to day life, but that's something I'm interested in doing
Maybe you're interested in programming websites or hardware or whatever the fuck else is there is out there
But it's not being a handyman
If you aren't actually interested in programming anything and just want to pad your resume, well I have no sympathy to you and you've resigned yourself to a career of mediocrity

>Jow Forums is full of non-programmers
What the fuck? What are you guys doing in a tech board? Because you built your own PC by following a tutorial online?

>programming is the ONLY tech related shit
You're a fucking code monkey, let's not pretend you're above that. I do python and C++ as part of my job as server admin/cybersec admin and you wouldn't believe the sheer amount of stupid questions and basic information that "coders" like you can't answer and need their hands held. I'd gladly have some DIY type or someone who refurbs laptops for fun on Jow Forums than strong headed programmers who think they're hot shit.

I wish you'll die in agony, attention whore.

FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU
THE CAT IS FINE OK
HE'S OK

thats a lot of assumptions and projections you are doing there. I also maintain my own computer, but I also do lots of my own programming both for work and hobby and administrating my own stuff. Building a computer and clicking buttons on installers isn't enough to come to a tech board. thats why this place is just shitposts and I barely ever come here because of it.

>tfw spent 99% of my elementary through high school years learning and mastering everything I could find about programming
>tfw spent a little under $10k on books and software to help me on my adventure in becoming a programmer
>got into college, dropped another $20k on supplies and tuition for four years
>got my very first non-intern position at a decent company, pay started at 75k
>super ecstatic about my new job
>start my first day
>hate life by the end of it
>nothing I did was ever untouched by incompetent monkeys
>functions were replaced by loops for fuck knows what reason
>structured and sensible code replaced by if statements
>quit a week into the job because it was painful to watch
>tried to find another job, but was advised by my brother (who went to college for the very same thing) to stop while I was ahead and just get into sysadmin work
What the fuck is the point of trying?

Attached: 1566278971611.jpg (468x468, 26K)

Holy fuck, he threw a dog out of a plane

good. Then you're one of the few who made it out. Leave this place and never come back.
You'll be better off for it
to be fair, your job is to make a task work/program whatever it is they want. HOW that code works after you hand it off is irrelevant. If you're really that hardcore about your code work, go into business for yourself as a freelancer. Good luck though.

> t. iToddler

>If you're really that hardcore about your code work
I am not too concerned about it looking the way I coded it, but for fucks sake the final product didn't even function properly. Compiler errors out the ass, and each time it got stuck because of the shitty replacements. Who gets blamed for that? Me. Never the asshats who "reviewed" and modified it. I considered freelance for a while, but after a month of no offers despite my portfolio being linked to job sources, I gave up on it. There is a market for modders and scripters for a lot of the Steam games out there, so maybe I can just set up a patreon and work like that. Issue is that the biggest market would probably be Lua based, and I never bothered to learn Lua.

I've only finished freshman year but the stuff at where I'm interning at is disgusting in places. Most people here aren't CS or CE majors though, they majored in something else, so that might be part of it. Thinking about just going into academia and working on open source software with other smart people. Even if you get into a position in industry where you have all control over the software, its probably a nightmare to babysit all the code monkeys.

Dropped out of software engineering because its full of retards. Started a company with some friends in Japan and am now living anime meme life.