Why would anyone choose Ubuntu over Debian?

Why would anyone choose Ubuntu over Debian?
Non-free repos are available, so what's the point, really?

Attached: 994f765740ead7974b3eed3ecc3e8b27.jpg (525x350, 56K)

Why would you pick ancient packages over a distro that just works?

Also Debian is more stable, comes with a lot of desktop environments (no, "flavors" don't count) and have more packages. Ubuntu is a repo nightmare.

Linux/GNU noob here, recently been trying out some distros and been enjoying Debian and Fedora the most. I'm thinking of going with Debian Stable as desktop and also using it for servers. Then I read about the extremely slow updates to it and wonder if security is somehow affected by it?

this

not these

Ubuntu Just Werks™, no fucking around with wifi drivers or codecs. Debian is fine, but the netinstall keeps doing "grub-install DUMMY" which is retarded and it doesn't even ask where to install it. Works fine in virtualbox, but on my actual hardware it shits itself.

Don't worry, those ancient packages get security updates eventually, so you can run 3 year old packages that are supposedly "secure"

Uhh because we aren't puritan freetards??

Bruh I need my DRM for streaming, codecs for music, I have realtek ethernet because I didn't notice the x370s/x470s had intel NICs.

Also I'm too broke for a new GPU and I'm using nshidia and ZFS is shipping on root in the next ubuntu release.

>I'm thinking of going with Debian Stable as desktop

I just did that, user. I was an Ubuntu user for a long time, but 18.04 is a nightmare, xfce is buggy as hell, Gnome is slow and terrible to use, etc, etc.

Then I went to Debian - it's comfy, everything works as expected and is really stable. No bugss, no annoyances.

Attached: 1561657119959.jpg (320x320, 32K)

>Ubuntu Just Werks™, no fucking around with wifi drivers or codecs.

Just use the non-free images, bro.

It still shits itself with grub on my hardware. I already have Ubuntu installed, I'm not going to spend an hour fucking around with grub to get a working Debian system.

>18.04
LTS isnt really the best choice for desktop. Like Debian stable, packages tend to get old pretty quick. You are better off using whatever is the current release, especially as LTS gets older.

Latest Ubuntu (19.04) doesn’t have ancient packages and just works. With ubuntu-restricted-extras even shit like spotify and youtube streams just work.

Easiness.

About 90% of what debian has today is obtained because they support ubuntu, which is the corporate arm of the debian branch of linux. If you cut out Canonical entirely the resources will simply leave or the debian social contract will get shredded as they move to take their place as the corporate altern to redhat.

Debian is literally and unironically easier than the bloated Ubuntu.

Attached: Pp4a8li.png (894x894, 473K)

There is now a minimal install option for Ubuntu that leaves you with a system consisting of firefox, some basic utilities (doesn’t even include a media player) and the desktop environment itself.

On the contrary. Ubuntu is based of Debian. Without the latter you can't have the former.

Still a frankendebian, tho.

Attached: 3534859.jpg (510x510, 58K)

simply because its out there. so long as there is a choice people wil try every possibility.

Yeah and nobody cares. The resources poured into debian are 90% due to the indirectly supporting ubuntu corporate game. Prior to that, debian was just another community distro.

>due to the indirectly supporting ubuntu corporate game.

Any sauce on that, family?

Can I update from 18 to 19 without losing everything?

Because some of us use it in production, and predictability (new LTS every 4 years) and sane defaults actually matters. I've used Debian as my home server for a decode, but after 4-5 years with Ubuntu servers at work I switched to Ubuntu. LTS of course.

Also canonical has some nice services, like livepatch.

Pop!_OS > Ubuntu > Debian

Debian is a nightmare if you need a package that is not over six months old.

I always laugh when Debian's lazy maintainers are sold as a feature. Stable my scrotum.

I don't know senpai. If you want some corporate help I guess but other than that. Debian is more stable(packages are much more tested) lighter on your pc and more minimal. I can have the same functionality you have have on Ubuntu with 1800 packages with about 1200 on Debian. Ubuntu is much buggier too despite having a company behind it which means nothing to be honest, it's a company known for doing a lot of stupid shit. Plus, Ubuntu has dates for releases fixed while Debian only announces a release when it's ready.
I also don't know how people on Jow Forums can't make wifi work or boot Debian on their laptops/PCs. You either bought some kind of ultra snowflake computer or maybe you're one of the reasons why Ubuntu exists.

The security updates are applied asap. The software gets some fixes but only to critical bugs. Nothing else changes.

Look at this idiot thinking freezing packages is because of laziness. These guys and CentOS test their shit for months so you don't have to re-configure your shit every 2 months like in your meme distros.

Debian for desktop and Ubuntu LTS for server is the only way to go.

this

You could use Debian testing.

Because i want it to work and i want to get on with my life. Not to mention it has the most documentation.

Because they're not the same, retard. They have different release schedules and different ways they ship their DEs. Like some people will want an autism free XFCE install that doesn't have tons of bloat and doesn't look like absolute shit out of the box. That person will install Xubuntu minimal.

>Why would anyone choose Debian over Ubuntu
ftfy

>I run bleeding edge shit on internet facing servers
Keep smoking crack, pal. Debian is by far THE distro.

If you're not a freetard then why the fuck aren't you running Windows 10?

>distro isn't good b

If you need that and don't know how to use git, you should kill yourself anyways

Debian isn't actually stable unlike CentOS. If you want true rock solid stability, consider Slackware before you even think about touching Debshit.

Ubuntu just werks and I don't want to have to constantly fuck around with my tools when I need to do work