Does Jow Forums fix their shit or discards it once it breaks to get new?

Does Jow Forums fix their shit or discards it once it breaks to get new?

Attached: 148907541162974184.webm (1280x720, 2.82M)

Depends on the shit, I'm not fixing BGA.

how much can you even fix without expensive tools and spare parts?

did it actually work after this?

find cards on ebay that are listed as "NOT WORKING", buy for cheap, experiment

>buy
try fixing some shit at home and see how it goes
pro tip: not well

Why shouldn't it?

Yes, you see how there's gold lines that go into the slot? See the thing he cut off doesn't have them?

Don't see why it wouldn't. There aren't any contacts on the part he cut off; looks like it's just there for stability

I have never experienced any failure from any of my hardware in the past 20 years. Am I just extremely lucky or are people not taking proper care of their things?

mostly the 2nd case

Fuck you bro
>overclocks as high as possible
You don't know my story
>leaves pc on 24/7
Faggot
>uses gpu as cup holder without taking it out of the motherboard

Built many a system over the last 15 years and only things I've had fail are Seagate HDDs and a couple early crucial SSDs. Pretty sure people fuck up their own hardware all the time (other than storage devices)

It'll work, but nothing is locking it in place. I suppose if you secure it on the other side it'll be OK.

The only modern stuff that's failed on me has been OEM laptop garbage. And even then I was just able to send it in for repair, and in that particular case it worked out to my advantage. Because they couldn't fix it, they instead sent me a replacement laptop that was the new year's model and had superior hardware in every way.
Never had any failures with desktop equipment I've assembled myself.

Also I have had a couple old vidya consoles stop working, and I've been able to fix them every time with some basic soldering skills.

Was there a particular point of time during which seagate HDDs were notoriously bad? Wondering because I've had a 1TB seagate drive I've been using as my primary storage since 2012 and it's never had any issues.

I try, but plenty of times I fail. I can't remember the last thing I actually fixed.

Reminds me when I dremeled a cut out in a $6000 brand new server to put an old raid x8 raid card into a x4 slot.Good times.

He didn't cut any traces.

Fixing tech is literally free money. I bought a $2300 laptop (in 2014) for $100 this year because it was """broken""". It turned out one of the video cards was faulty but a quick reflow got it up and running again. Even if it dies again there's a second card to use alone or I can just upgrade the card since it's MXM.

Attached: 0324.jpg (1030x705, 90K)

Also picked up a """not working""" GTX 980 for $40. Took it home and it worked fine.

Later picked up a stack of 9 old, gutted laptops for $10. Put $65 of RAM, SSD, new battery, etc into a few of them. They go for $250 each refurbished on ebay and Amazon.

>set it on desk to fix
>start taking apart
>get distracted with other shit
>eventually it goes into a new project box
>build a shelf (80% completed to goal) to hold project boxes
>more project boxes pushed into shed and basement
>be taunted by uncompleted projects every day
>can't even die because procrastinated that too

the best cure for procrastination is to only spare an hour or two a day for projects. Not enough time to get distracted. Lord knows if I make 8 hours to work on something I spend half of the time on Jow Forums and the other half jerking off.

yeah, sure

I find myself actually waiting for something to break half the time so that I have a legitimate reason to upgrade.

Not that I'd know how to fix stuff anyway, most of the time the failure is so physical that you'd need advanced knowledge of electronics and precision soldering to fix it.

Attached: SmartSelect_20190702-180557_Chrome.jpg (1440x1357, 605K)

after coming soon

Attached: 20190822_145948.jpg (1562x496, 473K)

most of the shit you can buy for cheap if beyond any repair and you just out of nowhere have 100% success?
a faulty mobo or a fried gpu is not something you can easily fix

and i've seen old $200 laptops on ebay for years that nobody would touch

i'm still skeptical about your success stories

Attached: 20190702_165559-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 2.52M)

yeah this, when i work on somthing more then 3 hours i starting to speed things up and break/doing bad instead of fixing lol

it's only 3 data points right now for that 100% success. I was afraid the laptop mobo might have been the issue but reflowing the card did thr trick. Even if it hadn't each of those two vid cards goes for $150 online so I'd still be ahead if the mobo was bad. But 2 months later it's still running fine.

I took these pics because I wouldn't have believed it either.

Attached: 20190704_130518.jpg (4032x3024, 2.64M)

luckily the 980 is pretty much a paperweight or I'd be upset

wtf, I thought that motherboards were build under specific guidelines and specifications?

Only pic I have of some of the laptops. The D600 on the right is the worst one, missing the CPU fan and worse, the mobo header for said fan. The D830s are all fine, just needed RAM and stuff. One even had a Quadro instead of just iGPU.

Attached: 20190810_163745.jpg (4032x2268, 2.87M)

you've had goo luck so far, good that you could make them work

and btw that alienware is sexy as fuck

Not that I abuse my hw or anything,but I tend to leave pc working all day long from downloading torrents while im asleep to playing vidya all day.Even my 6th gen i3 can handle all this load without any problem...not that I care for a 50euro second hand cpu but will this cripple my cpu if I continue this ?

no

Many failures are usually caused not by high temps (within reason) but thermal cycle shock. So stressing followed by rapid cooling is worse than just keeping it stressed (again within reason).

Had a Seagate hdd die in a year and they didn't honor the warranty. Never huying from them again.

cpus are designed to run at full blast all the time. that's what they are for. just don't let them get too hot. also downloading torrents is not a heavy load.

So are you saying it's better to leave your PC on 24/7 instead of turning g it on and off everyday?

they are the least reliable brand, but only by a few percentage points if the server farm statistics are to be believed. maybe their consumer grade drives are lower quality? but generally, just back up your shit, any drive can fail no matter how much it may have cost.

in terms of thermal shock, yes, but there is more to consider besides that. If you trust your power grid not to surge or cut out very often you kight be better off sleeping your PC instead of shutting it down every day. Just restart weekly-monthly.

Well that's an interesting question
I remember an image where some idiot cut off the traces so it could fit into a 4x slot, and many people were arguing whether it would work, simply at a lower bandwidth.

the easiest test for this is to cut a slot in a PCIe x1 slot and fit a x16 card in it rather than cutting the card. Without seeing the pinout I think it would work.

there is no thermal shock when you turn it off, it slowly cools down

This

based retard

t. brainlet

any more success stories?

t. a real brainlet

Git gud bainlet

Attached: 1565979712737.jpg (701x1024, 89K)

>i sticks me laptop in the oven
>it fix itself
>hurr durr i of genius

go back to fucking goats

It's there for the PCIe lock. You know -- that thing that ends with you ripping out the entire PCIe slot when you forget they added a lock for no reason?

>implying I need an oven
Get on my level

Attached: 1565982213784.jpg (450x405, 69K)

I just replaced a broken pc monitor's pcb with a universal tv chink one and it works like a charm.the only problem is that it is heating like crazy and I need to find a cooling solution before I reinact the amazon wildfire in my room

drill holes and zip tie a case fan in there.

I fix my shit as best i can. I have a shitty netbook from 2011(Acer 522... Uses a C-50 amd APU, so it was a piece of shit when it was brand new) thats been patched together with frankenstein parts from other machines to keep it chugging. Its not my main PC, but i keep it at my dads place so i can have a "dependable" thing to browse or work on if i visit(Yeah... as shitty as it is, its still more dependant than anything he uses for a few weeks and corrupts with stupid downloaded programs)

i also buy broken shit and fix. here are some of mine:
psvita not working: will not charge on ebay 55 usd
turns out the person was charging via the controller cable rather than the actual charging port. came with a fat memory card and game. OLED
rx 570: working until driver installation, once drivers installed would be stopped by windows 60 usd
turns out someone had flashed the bios on it to a mining version. I flashed it back, took 2 hours to figure out the problem works great
msi b450m gaming plus- 45 usd
it was listed as untested on ebay, unknown if working or not, so of course i bought it. works flawlessly and is holding a 3600

oh ive got another. ps4- cd tray not working- cd stuck inside. 60 usd. pick up only from ebay.
I bought it on ebay and had a courier collect it for me for 7 usd. was able to eject the disk in the menu, there was a learn to play guitar dvd in it lol

good shit. Love normies who know enough to buy and break good things but mot enough to know how to fix it.

I stole a ryzen 9 3900x and a motherboard for it, some ram too. Because the fucking stupid AMD cooler design, I wasn't able to mount the cooler to the processor/mobo when the mobo was in the case. so I tried pulling it off, but the cement paste AMD put on the stock heatsink would not let go and I accidentally pulled the fucking CPU out of the mobo with the cooler. that bent some pins and already having a 8700K I just decided to change the better RAM to my computer and fucking junk the AMD shit, even the perfectly fine mobo because I didn't have a receipt for it. Fuck it all, really, fuck AMD for it's retarded design. Put the pinks on the LESS VALUABLE item not the fucking processor..... Thank fuck I didn't pay a dime for that shit.

I know people will condemn me for stealing but I don't give a fuck. I've stolen stuff worth over 10k already and I'm not gonna stop until I get caught.

Attached: frog janny 2.png (553x609, 404K)

no pcb traces were broken, of corse it works

RMA if its on warranty. If its not then i bring up the whole arsenal of ghetto mods to improve it as well

fuck off schlomo

I can deal with most failures if all they need are new capacitors/resistors or shorting a fuse to be fixed. I can solder stuff, but I'm not equipped to do SMC and BGA. Whenever I need components, I just get them from my EE department's workshop.

Lucky imo. I've had 20+ years of components failing on me but most of it has been out of the box or a bad design.
Outside of instant failures: I've had maybe 5 HDD's completely fail on me, 1 SSD fail on me, 3 PSU's, 1 MOBO and 1 GPU die on me in that time. Peripherals on the other hand are a complete dice roll. I've had some Logishit mice I've had to send back multiple times and a couple of other brands that just died.

That's pretty good for 20+ years, I'd still say I'm lucky but it still sucks. There's not much you can do other than RMA something if it's not a simple fix. I'm really bad at soldiering due to a hand injury so I'm okay with that.

There are definitely people who abuse their shit out there though.

>psvita not working: will not charge on ebay 55 usd
That was probably just the vita being ass. I had one that I didn't use for like 2 years and it took a good hour plus connected to the wall charger to even show a charging icon and a good few hours to reliably charge and turn on.