Why people use e-reader instead tablet laptops?

Why people use e-reader instead tablet laptops?
Are they retarded?

Attached: choose-laptop-tablet-ereader-smartphone-1.jpg (1200x671, 139K)

E-ink feels nicer on the eyes IMO

Just get one of those yellow tint things lol

BOT THREAD
DO NOT REPLY TO IT

E-ink displays only use energy when switching pixels from black to white or vice versa, so battery life is ridiculous.
Also you have no problem reading in broad daylight, although this is no longer a problem with tablets in 2019 because display technology has gotten that much better.

e-readers are far superior for reading outside

this would've been viable in like 2010 but most tablets get really bright, to a point where being outside is no longer an issue.

which will drain the battery in no time

e-readers can go for days without a recharge and are much lighter than tablets

I'd use an ereader but I read a lot of color content so it doesn't seem very useful.

If you've never used one, you simply wouldn't understand. e-ink doesn't need to be bright to be seen. There's no need for that, and you never have to worry about trying to see it past a normal screen's glossy finish either. Zero eye strain.

It also lasts basically forever, and runs cool, whereas most phones out in the summer sun start feeling extremely hot.

>Are they retarded?
They fell for nicer on the eyes meme

>e-readers can go for days without a recharge
Never understood how is this a relevant feature.

The funny thing here is that e-ink also can't be seen in darkness. You'd need a backlight for that, and THAT drains battery like a motherfucker.
The benefits of e-ink in bright environments are negated by the drawbacks of e-ink in dark environments.

I don't understand why people use the 'but the glare' canned response. Glare is usually never a problem unless you angle the screen directly at the sun in a way that wouldn't normally be a problem with normal usage.

There is no reason to get an e-reader in 2019. Tablets can do everything an e-reader can do, and do tons of other shit as well. At this point, e-readers are just weird unitasking peripherals that amount to little more than a waste of space.

>b-but glare
Get a matte screen protector.
>b-but battery life
Not a problem on 90% of tablets nowadays. They can often last more than a 12 hours on full brightness nonstop, so charge them every night just as you charge your phone and there won't be a problem.
Also, a lot of e-readers still experience ridiculous battery drain despite the energy anorexic display for some reason (lookin' at you, Kindle).

Why everyone is ignoring the ridiculous price of e-inks?

>Imagine being low IQ enough that you can't appreciate a single purpose focused device made for reading, the most based hobby there is.

I love having an electronic book-like device that can hold literal thousands of titles. Fuck off.

Attached: 1399323150451.gif (380x375, 556K)

The point of an ereader, surprisingly, is to be a digital replacement for a book. The eink display does an excellent job of mimicking ink on paper, since it's actually quite similar in the way it works. This results in a pleasant reading experience, though it can be subject to similar limitations as an actual book, like not showing up in the dark. This is easily remedied by using a light, or the backlight that pretty much all ereaders include. The amount of light necessary to be seen is quite low so it does not make a huge impact on battery life. The advantages are obvious: Long battery life, often lasting weeks on a charge, bright daylight does not hamper viewing, the screen is completely static when not changing pages so it's much easier on the eyes.

Because staring on bright surfaces gives people headaches and us an unpleasant experience?

Also e-readers are pretty cheap...

Are you aware of the existence of "lamps", devices that can emit light which brightens up the entire room or parts of it?

>The benefits of e-ink in bright environments are negated by the drawbacks of e-ink in dark environments.
No.
My e-reader just has a toggle. If I don't need the backlight it lasts extremely long, if I do (which is very rare) it lasts a shorter amount of time comparable to a tablet.

>Imagine being low IQ enough that you can't appreciate a multi-purpose focused device made for doing everything well.

I love having an electronic book-like device that can hold literal thousands of titles and do a shitton of other stuff at the same time. Fuck off

>dude, like, just use a lamp lmao
it's the non-backlit gameboys all over again

Attached: unimpressed frog man transparent.png (904x864, 119K)

>light up the whole room because that's better
>oh...you're in a dark place with no lamps nearby (e.g. reading outside at night)? lol tough luck I guess...

>Are you aware of the existence of "lamps"
What a bullshit defense that can be applied to literally anything with a display. Why even bother with backlights at all, then?

My rectangles are better than your rectangles.

Attached: NPC.jpg (636x773, 32K)

I'm not poor and have both a tablet and an e-reader, dumbass.

i don't understand how people can't wrap their mind around the idea that there might be different display technologies that are better at different things

yes, it can't be used in darkness. oh no. good thing its entire purpose is its high light performance, fucking hell

yes i have a phone too but i don't really see the benefit of compromising when there is a superior, discrete option available

That's because you're a big fat faggot hikkikomori. Anyone who spends much time away from home finds it invaluable. Commuting, travel, or even just living off grid, the lower energy use and easy on the eyes screen tech are killer features.

this, anyone who doesn't like ereaders
1. hasn't used one
2. doesn't understand books and probably hasn't actually used a physical book in years
so basically zoomers

>calls others npcs
>spouts literal crunchy granola soccer mom "muh screentime" faggotry

>NEET incels who sit in their dark basement all day and need everything brightly backlit
>Ignores that ereaders do have backlights
If you don't like ereaders you're probably subhuman, as demonstrated by these subhumans.

>this would've been viable in like 2010 but most tablets get really bright, to a point where being outside is no longer an issue.
Mmmm, yes, reduced battery life when reading in a brightly lit area.

>You'd need a backlight for that
Most e-readers are front-lit, further showing how little you know.
You need very little light to read off it. I leave my frontilght on all the time for no reason and still get weeks out of it.

+ 3 weeks with one charge
+ no light
+ low weight less than a tablet

No one said or even implied that you were poor. Why bring it up unprompted?
Having more stuff doesn't give off the appearance of opulence, you know.

Great, so you agree that tablets are superior then.

>literally defending the lack of features as a plus
Where's the /Friendly Apple General/ when you need it?

even if you read outdoors all day, that's still like 12 uninterrupted hours of reading in sunlight.
you shouldn't even be outdoors that long anyway. it's bad for your skin.

I had one and retired it. The screen was nice for reading, that's true, but not nice enough to justify using a single-purpose device over a multifunction tablet. A tablet also brings its own enhancements to the table when it comes to e-book reading as well, for example the ability to switch over to a browser and google things when you want to get a better mental picture of a story's setting or when there's a reference you may not be familiar with.

Not just outdoors. Very bright environments.
You could be inside and the phone/tablet/laptop would have to increase brightness to overcome ambient lighting.
You just don't need to with an e-reader. No matter how you spin it, e-readers are just better for reading, even at night. A dim frontlight is all you need when it gets dark. LCD panels need a backlight all the time.

>LCD panels need a backlight all the time.
Not OLED.

>No matter how you spin it, e-readers are just better for reading, even at night.
Sure, on a purely visual level e-ink displays are better for reading, but the problem is larger. The thing to consider is how the e-reader contributes to your life on a larger scale. An e-reader a single-purpose object whose existence could very easily be absorbed by an object that's capable of doing many things quite well. It's the iPod of digitized reading. There's just not much of a reason for it anymore.

I guess we just have different priorities, because I forgo tablets entirely in favour of a large phone and an ereader. Same number of devices as you seem to use, but more specialized for reading than video.

Also, my Kobo at least allows you to highlight any section of text and Google it. Web browsing on e-ink isn't flawless but it works well enough to look up words or concepts.

OLED is an interesting wildcard but still emits light rather than reflecting it.

>why have a set of specialized tools that do their job incredibly well when you can use a single mediocre device for everything?
That's pretty silly logic. Sure, you can read on a phone, but it's utter cancer. You can read on a tablet, but it's mediocre for that and if I'm carrying two devices anyways why not a phone and ereader?

Phablet + ereader > Phone + tablet > any single device

I guess so. When I look stuff up it generally tends to be more visual, most often maps or photos of a location so I can have a better understanding of a setting or of distances traveled or whatever. I also read a lot of magazines and those are obviously not suited at all to e-ink.

they're just gullible consumer sheep

>I'm going to ignore 50 posts telling my why I'm wrong and jack off publically about how right I am
based and redpilled

>why have a set of specialized tools that do their job incredibly well when you can use a single mediocre device for everything?
But that's the thing; the amount that a dedicated e-reader improves the reading experience over a tablet doesn't really justify its existence anymore. It's not so much better that you'd want to use it, a completely separate tool, just for it. In fact, tablets offer quite a few benefits to e-reading over an actual e-reader itself, like the ability to display color or switch to other tasks without having to switch entire devices.
The display alone simply isn't enough anymore. The functionality of the device itself is, and tablets offer a lot more functionality over e-readers than vice versa.
In comparison, tablets only falter in two distinct areas: battery life and, arguably, the display. But even then, the differences there are outweighed by the benefits elsewhere.

What the fuck is the point of a tablet, though? Phones are big now. Really big. Phones are more portable than tablets and have more utility, while ereaders provide a completely different form of utility. Tablets are just bigger phones.

>I should carry two devices with LCD displays because one is slightly bigger
That's stupid. Anything you can do on a tablet can be done on a phone, and ereaders do reading far better than a tablet does. A tablet is simply duplicating what you already have, but 2-4" bigger.

>although this is no longer a problem with tablets in 2019 because display technology has gotten that much better.
wtf did I miss something? Backlighted screens have always been a pain to watch under sunlight.

Not really, OLED is much nicer than older displays but still suffers under outdoor lighting.

>Phones are big now. Really big.
Tablets are even bigger.
>Phones are more portable than tablets and have more utility, while ereaders provide a completely different form of utility. Tablets are just bigger phones.
Tablets are more powerful than phones and have more screen real estate. Reading a book on a phone would be uncomfortable enough to subtract from the experience a considerable amount - enough to make it no longer worth it. Especially with the amount of page-turning you're going to do. Even if your phone is huge, it'll still be like reading one of those tiny bibles they hand out for free on street corners.
>>I should carry two devices with LCD displays because one is slightly bigger
This, but unironically. People have done it with phones and laptops, why should the phone + tablet combination be any different?
>That's stupid. Anything you can do on a tablet can be done on a phone, and ereaders do reading far better than a tablet does.
E-readers only do the visually pleasing aspect of reading better than a tablet can, and only in brightly lit areas. And that's all it can do. Not much else. Even highlighting is a bit more of a hassle with e-readers.
>A tablet is simply duplicating what you already have, but 2-4" bigger.
Yes, with some interface changes. And there's nothing wrong with that.
And tablets don't have to be only two inches larger. There are nearly 13" tablets out there. That's more than twice as large as the average phone, diagonally.

Phones are good for small tasks that aren't worth resorting to a tablet for; i.e. listening to music, looking up directions, sending texts, doing quick internet searches etc.
Tablets are better for pretty much everything else. Anything involving extended use, including reading. It's just nice to be able to read your books and do all sorts of other things on one single device rather than have a million little devices to care for, each of which are only capable of one singular task.

I also think that e-readers are good and have a place due to their e-ink screen. But you posted a very strange cartoon of a child. And I don't understand it. I don't understand why a grown adult would have pictures of cartoon children, especially in the fucking faggy style that your picture seems to be in. Are you a fucking paedo or something?

Attached: degenerates.jpg (383x452, 24K)

I got my Kindle as a gift but I used it a lot at university. It was awesome, I just downloaded books I needed from the internet and stuck them on my Kindle, plus all the course PDFs / lecture material went on there too. I was used to having to check books out of the university library and lug them around in my backpack, and then worry about returning them, so having an entire library (plus all my lecture notes, slides, everything) on a single device was pretty awesome.

Here are the many reasons to use a Kindle. If you're not reading a lot then I can see why you'd think it's a limited-use device, but if you need to do a lot of reading for uni or work (or you just want to read a lot of eBooks) then it's really awesome.

1) The screen is much superior for long reading to a backlit LCD/OLED screen
2) A Kindle is way cheaper than a tablet, I think mine was like £45 at the time (Kindle 4, pic related)
3) Battery life lasts for a long time
4) Screen isn't glass so it's not going to smash like a tablet (I'd still recommend a case though)
5) Way smaller than a laptop so far more practical for reading than carrying around a fucking laptop all the time
6) Can download books from the internet and stick tons of them on the device rather than lugging around books

Attached: kindle 4.jpg (1200x1157, 125K)

That 2"-4" makes a world of difference, though. You can read full-page documents at arm's length without zooming in on them, incredibly useful if you need to read .pdfs or just want to read magazines or textbooks that were originally intended for print. They're also much easier to interact with, requiring much less precision than a phone, which helps a lot when trying to use them for professional tasks, especially if you're trying to use them in a moving vehicle or while walking around.

Because they're functioning adults, tablets are zoomer tier

>What the fuck is the point of a tablet, though? Phones are big now. Really big.
Phones usually stop at 6". I read comics with a 10" tablet like pic related, and anything smaller would probably feel too small.

Attached: Motorola-Xoom.jpg (1900x1258, 379K)