Thoughts on Ruby?

Thoughts on Ruby?
Is it really better than python?

Attached: Screenshot_20190822-215034__01.jpg (1080x1037, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/luisalima
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

they are both a giant regression from the interpreter engineering standpoint

I personally think so, but it's not like my opinion matters. No matter how much I like it more than python, I'll still be forced to use python anyway. Even niche shit that used to use ruby is now using python instead. For example, RPG Maker used to be ruby, latest versions all use python.

> RPG Maker used to be ruby, latest versions all use python.

God I wish. They use fucking js. Script intercompatibility is a mess now and every script has to be contained in some hacky anonymous function boilerplate clusterfuck.

This lang is superior to this other one I am very high IQ. Use what ever lang you want kek.

As for peethon vs ruby I personally prefer peethon.

you can go and fix it
python is eating the world

I don't know python but yeah

I don't know Ruby but yeah

it's more pleasurable to use, but for some reason the programming world threw its weight behind Python. it might be because Rails became synonymous with Ruby; Rails went through a pretty vicious hype cycle (even though Rails is actually fine)

python has pandas, scikit-learn, numpy, scipy, tensorflow, pytorch
ruby has... rails?

>is it better?
it depends if you love japanisue technology

Attached: _104301984_gettyimages-464102368-2.jpg (660x371, 33K)

>ruby has... rails?
you've also got things like Rake, Capistrano, Sinatra, and so on. the absence of any kind of gem for data frames/arrays/etc. is fucking mad at this point. it makes Ruby a complete non-starter for a lot of simple projects

Too many vulnerable libraries

M E T A S P L O I T

>dynamically typed languages
all shit

Dying language. Python won.:

>remove a
picrel, the actually good one

Attached: SNOWPEARL-2.jpg (1200x1200, 62K)

It's just as worse than any compiled and statically typed language as python

Ruby is slower than Python.
But speed is really not the issue when comparing dynamic high-level languages.
I think overall Ruby is better designed and quite a pleasure to write.
But the main reason that Python has won over Ruby is that Python reads like pseudo code: it's almost plain English. Meanwhile Ruby is almost incomprehensible if you're not familiar with the syntax.
Nowadays we have to know a lot of languages, a lot of tools, a lot of framework. While I think the Ruby syntax is great, it's still something you have to invest some time in learning and most people would rather not when Python syntax takes seconds to learn.

Ruby has special kind of popularity
While its old and not many things are wriitten in it, it has large community of people who REALLY love Ruby. It full of chads, roasties like github.com/luisalima , soibois too.
Why so many people love Ruby?
It may be because Rails has, like Node package manager with tools that is doing their work for them. JSON-parser for this, html-beautifier for that, http-requester for this, lickmyarse for that

Use Elixir instead of Ruby.

>Thoughts on Ruby?
There have been two articles in the tech news today about Ruby being unsafe. 18 libraries have been withdrawn because they contained mining code.
An old version of a Ruby software package called rest-client that was modified and released about a week ago has been removed from the Ruby Gems repository – because it was found to be deliberately leaking victims' credentials to a remote server.

very cute and comfy language

Only thing Ruby had ever going for it was rails. And since these days every language has similar framework...
Syntax-wise it's something between perl and python. Again not something you would choose language for.

if you are a true weeb then you also like ruby and matz様

It's more or less like having a dick. It doesn't really matter if you don't know how to use it.

Based

yeah but it's still just a shittier smalltalk