Need to use CAD software for anything serious

>need to use CAD software for anything serious
You can't
>feel like playing good videogames
You can't
>need to do office tasks
You have to use libre calc, which sucks massive dick and has a lot of issues running excel files
>want to set up a network for your office
Just do everything you do in windows, bro. Then spend the next week trouble shooting little errors that fuck up the entire thing
>need to install a new program
You don't get it, dude. It doesn't work by itself, first need to write a bunch of instructions you get from internet users into the root files of your system for the program to even start.
>need to use a printer
Fucking lmao

Attached: images.jpg (207x244, 6K)

I'm slowly getting redpilled on desktop Linux too. It's fun and all and usable enough for school, but if I made a living using my computer (and wasn't a programmer) I'd probably use windows and WSL when needed.

works on my machine

Attached: bait.jpg (125x125, 2K)

>implying it's not true

>be mechanical engineer
>need to use variable
>cant even use a VM
Tell me how to be productive with linux

BricsCAD is a serious CAD software

What a noob is all im seeing.

>CAD
The situation is sort of shit right now, but recently Blender has begun rolling out with CAD capabilities. I swear, that piece of software does everything these days - animation, simulations, modeling, design, etc . . . Soon it'll also be a dildo operator on top of everything it already does.
Maybe Blender CAD will be worth it some day?

>Vidja games
Killing Floor, RuneScape, Minecraft, and the Team Fortress games are the only ones I really play right now. All of those run fine on Linux.

>Office
I've never had any real problems with Google Office or Libre Office. I also concede I rarely do a ton of office work, but even if I did, I still wouldn't really want to shell out a few hundred bucks for the MS Office.

>Networking
I've never had network troubles on Linux, other than maybe Wifi incompatibility with specific Wifi devices or cards. If you're careful about which ones you buy, you can get something very well supported under Linux. Most built-in Wifi chipsets for laptops and the like are well supported these days. It's funny - Unix was built for networking from the ground up, and Windows had it patched in over time.

>installing programs
I have on occasion had to install a program manually by setting up a folder for it in my home folder and running a script or something, but I've never had to fuck with files in root, and I've only ever had to do the above for niche programs I was trying out because I wanted to, rather than programs I actually needed to get work done.

Most programs I use I download through either Steam, apt, or maybe off the website of the program as a flatpack, or AppImage, or the like. It's easy for me to install most programs.

>Printers
The few times I have had to use printers, I was able to get them working after maybe 15 minutes of clicking through menus for setup. Configure the support for the printer you want to use before you need to print that paper within the next 5 minutes, and you're good to go.

>need to use a printer
works on my machine

Virtual Box runs fine under Linux. I've never had problems running VMs under Linux. Linux even has Docker, if that's more your thing.

> into the root files

Attached: brendan.jpg (540x720, 33K)

Sorry, meant CATIA, not variable
CATIA cant be activated using a vm

Try to run cadence xcelium or actually any cadence product on windows. For the brainlets those are CAD tools to design asics.

If you are the 1% of the population who desperately needs to use professional software with no Linux version on his home computer, then don't install Linux.

Why do people always pretend as if there was a great majority of people who desperately needs Photoshop?

If there is a specific software you desperately need, don't use Linux and stop whining about it.

>You don't get it, dude. It doesn't work by itself, first need to write a bunch of instructions you get from internet users into the root files of your system for the program to even start.
LOL
Just install it from your packet manager, a thousand times easier, then the non-sense you are spouting.

>autist work requires software that runs on an autist software
Color me surprised

ASIC CAD programs are often linux only (and some old unixes no one has heard of). Im forced to use centos7 at work only linux works.

If you have desperate need for a specific piece of software, don't use Linux.

It really isn't so hard to understand, is it?
And shitposting about how Linux is literally useless because it doesn't support this one software I desperately need and barely anybody cares about is just, irrelevant...

GTA 5 can almost run on Wine on a GPU-less laptop. If your machine can't run some Mathematica-tier shit, you need to kill yourself.

Last I checked windows had much more trouble with printer drivers. Cups (thanks applel) made printer drivers on loonix a non issue.

Then you do it at your job, on your work computer. Don't have one? Then it isn't serious.
Use your phone, as everyone.
>need to do office tasks
Use Google Docs, live everyone everywhere.
>want to set up a network for your office
Use your cloud collaboration service. BAU.
Contact your SaaSS provider, tell them to install it on your cloud; use it.
>need to use a printer
Literally just do it.

I can tell that you haven't had a real job in like 7 years. Things are nothing like they used to be.

Even if you trick it? You can lie to the guest so it doesn't know it's a VM. Look up how people do this for nvidia GPUs same thing probably works.

I think you just use kvm=off as an extra param to qemu.

Depends on your field but in EE most of the software works on linux, mostly because it was written for unix in the first place (FPGAs, VLSI design, SPICE, EM simulations). There is Siemens NX for mechies. Architects are fags and use apple anyways.
What good videogames? DLC micro transaction shekel grab party simulator 2019.
>need to do office tasks
Oh, wagie, wagie do your spreadsheets. Use Chad R/octave/scilab you pleb.
I don't have any problems with that.
>need to use a printer
Just werks without even installing anything. It even recognizes network printers flawlessly.

why does linux have such issues with wifi/networking/etc?

It doesn't, unless you are too deep into the free software autism or have obscure hardware.

PEBKAC

>if you don't like it, then don't use it
Lol. Are you a middle schooler?

>talking about professional fluid dynamics simulation and FEM software
>muh gaymes
Jesus Christ
CATIA can't be activated on a virtual machine
Besides, any project I work on requires tem times more computational power than your gay shit
So what you are saying is that linux is not suited for professional work?
What's even the point of using linux if you are going to run a windows virtual machine on it?
Why not just kill the middle man?

Because lots of manufacturers only write their drivers for windows. Just stick with internet adapters made by Intel. Those have excellent Linux support.

No.
But what is your point?

If you try to use an operating system that you know can't run the software your need shouldn't then go on complaining.

>So what you are saying is that linux is not suited for professional work?
No, it is not suited for professional work relying on software not available for it.

>What's even the point of using linux if you are going to run a windows virtual machine on it?
I don't know? I have never felt the need to use a Windows wm, all Software I needed was either trivially replaced or natively available.

If you know that you can not use it, don't use it, but stop complaining.

Then maybe blame that shit piece of software.

The bottom line is always: Use what suits you. I'm very glad I could ditch Windows at work. I'm not missing it at all.

I'm not trying to convince anybody to use linux. If you don't want to, or can't for any reason -- I don't care. I have everything I need.

printers have always had problems lol
lintards spend more time ricing their desktop rather
than fixing major problems on their systems
so basically linux doesnt work on proffesional work nor by a brainlet
and its only used by autists or botnet schizos
got it mate

>Besides, any project I work on requires tem times more computational power than your gay shit
Not that user but what computer do you have? If you're desktop is a threadripper CPU, ironically a windows VM will be faster than bare metal because windows still doesn't have good NUMA node support. (It's gotten better though)

Siemens nx stopped supporting linux as of NX continious release (nx1847). Only supporting linux for automation.

>so basically linux doesnt work on proffesional work nor by a brainlet
Linux works for a lot of professional tasks, just not professional tasks relying on software not available for it.

If you need Photoshop for work, don't use Linux.

Isn't all that shit moving into the cloud anyway?
At least that was the trend for Matlab...

> just not professional tasks relying on software not available for it.

aka majority of jobs out there
yeah i know some jobs dont force you completely since they only
care about the final result
but if everyone on this thread will say this instead of helping and creating competent software that actually works linux could be
more popular
but i see lintards on Jow Forums only care about ricing their desktop and
forcing everyon to use the terminal

Docker isn't a virtual machine or a security tool.

>aka majority of jobs out there
How many jobs rely on a person having particular software installed on their private computer?

>but if everyone on this thread will say this instead of helping and creating >competent software that actually works >linux could be
>more popular
I do not care. I am not a software developer for engineering software or in any position to decide what software is available on Linux.
What I do is irrelevant.

Also, why do you think I care?
I absolutely do not care whether you use Linux or not and I care to a limited degree about it's popularity.

You people are just annoying, if you KNOW that you won't be able to use Linux, don't use it and stop complaining about it, just keep using Windows, nobody cares.

Can, can, can outperform niggerfaggot proprietary kikeware, you only need to do it once appropriately or you're doing it wrong and should kys, easy as 1 command without kikedom involving, you can enslave printers

They want to move it into the cloud. But i don't see it happen.

Companies loathe the continuous release model. Most stick to NX12.

The cloud is in most cases a local citrix server because latency is still a bitch. And even with local citrix people complain a lot.

ricing your desktop is a whole lot easier than adding features to linux.
As far as installing software only the distro developers get a say on what goes into their repositories.
But I guess someone could make a gui shop for snap and appimage packages.

I mean, for the 10 minutes I tried to actually figure out what Siemens NX was the only thing I could get was cloud software, so it seems that it is at least what the developers are pushing for.

But if that is the model they are going for dropping support for certain platforms us basically irrelevant, as the cloud software is obviously OS agnostic.

>As far as installing software only the distro developers get a say on what goes into their repositories.
Unless you use public repositories, like the AUR, or the Debian equivalents.

I'm an engineer and never seen anything serious done in CAD. But free software CAD works best on linux, and using anything else is basically giving your hard work to the botnet at this point.

>can't play videogames
Good.

>need to do office tasks
Use org-mode, brainlet. You can use the best fucking computer algebra system inside awesome tables.

Everything works in my machine. It would work on yours too if you had a capable brain.

> BricsCAD doesn't exist
> Literally 10k+ video games don't exist
> Microsoft doesn't support a competitor's platform, and I refuse to use the 20+ other choices, surely it's linux that is the problem!
This board was a mistake.

>How many jobs rely on a person having particular software installed on their private computer?
Every single job out there.
Even the fucking cashiers have specific software running on windows

Attached: 1548997972463.jpg (867x1024, 89K)

>CAD
yeah, no, this one's a lost cause
>office
I used LibreOffice even on Windows for ages. It works.
>network
if you're having issues with this, you're kinda retarded
>install a new program
it's real easy
you can open the package manager and look for what you want
if it's not in the repo, often you can download and double click a .deb, everything it needs is automatically found and installed
if it's commercial software, run the install script, it'll throw it somewhere in /opt/ usually
>printing
generally works out of box

i have printers that do not work with Windows Vista,7,8,8.1,10 because of it's obsolete buy a new one culture

Freetards killed good software on linux

Linux is a toy.

Linux users are the cuckiest cucks.

>CAD
freecad
>Vidja
eww. no.
>office
libreoffice
>networking
just works
>installing programs
emerge --ask whateverProgramIWant

just run a VM for anything that absolutely requires windows

Don't like Linux? Then run FreeBSD, you fucking brainlet faggot.

Attached: ChuckVsTux-full.jpg (800x600, 37K)

also pretty much everything (including networking and package management) just werk in Ubuntu. If you choose to use a hipster meme distro and it doesn't work right, that's your fault, not Linux's.

>Choose the distros that I like, otherwise it sucks

Me: Just use what you want. It's pretty simple.
(you): but I want yous on 4channel.
shut the fuck up retards.

>using normal Ubuntu
I honestly prefer the differing flavors of Ubuntu to it's actual release more than anything. While it's stable, I hate how they moved to the Unity environment, I'd much rather they stayed with KDE/xfce/MATE/etc. That and I never like what they did with the interface; "tablet" themes sucks major dick.
Been running Mint for a while and no problems on my 2 machines.

If an operating system does not support software, it's not an operating system by definition because it doesn't operate.

>freecad
crashes and burns also shit GUI
>eww. no.
not an argument
>libreoffice
incompatible with azure and addons
>just works
wifi drivers hang
>emerge
WWWWWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH

Fair.
Nigger, I literally just got done playing Darkest Dungeon for the night.
>need to do office tasks
Google docs. Sheets is fine.
Either go to the package manager, or go to the website and look at the instructions there. If it's simple enough for my 60 year old father to do, it's simple enough for you.
>need to use a printer
My $80 laser printer works just fine with Linux. Literally nothing to set up. Just plugged it in, and it was ready to go.