LINUX CAN PLAY GAMES

LINUX CAN PLAY GAMES
>Install Wine, WineTricks
>now basically install windows ontop of wine, but not windows, because Wine is not an emulator, silly goy.
>Now install your game
>oh wait, you installed all those dependicies to the wrong prefix, you silly goose
>now re-do what you just did in the right pre-fix
>oh this game requires LUTRIS
>Lutris makes installing games EASIER!
>Now you need a Lutris wine prefix!
>Make sure it's the right wine version, goy!
>now install all these Lutris only dependicies, also they're not in your repo, so you have to find the source and build them from scratch
>now you need to install and learn MAKE!
>Now be sure to edit this config file, what's that? It doesn't exist? Just make it!
>oh you need to turn on hidden files!
>now your home directory is filled with cancer!
>make sure you chmod the correct permissions! oh you don't know chmod? NOW YOU WILL LEARN!
>you don't know bash either? Now you will learn!
>so you've jumped through all these hoops, did ya? good goyim?
>now you need to fuck with the not an emulator(but really is an emulator) settings so it doesn't run at 20fps!
>also don't forget the custom start script!
>now repeat this process for EVERY. SINGLE. GAME. you wish to play!
Now you're free from the M$ COCK!

Attached: wojak_suicide.png (1070x601, 507K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.thepoon.fr/osuLinuxAudioLatency/
cyware.com/news/new-steam-windows-client-privilege-escalation-vulnerability-impacts-over-96-million-users-673c51fc)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i dual boot with a non-registered version of win 10 that i only use when i want to play gaymes

>playing games
its ok linux will be around when u grow up

Tis easier to trim a Windows installation than to unfuck linux.

Attached: 1544852537825.jpg (998x998, 171K)

>He doesn't GPU passthrough to a Windows XP virtual machine to play games

Attached: Loc.jpg (477x636, 52K)

Why not just dual boot?
I always thought Wine was a meme, do people actually use this garbage?

Or just use proton

I must be lucky or something - nearly all my favorite games either run natively on Linux or run via a single click on Proton, at least assuming I installed good proton drivers.

>install Steam
>go to the settings, enable Proton and Steam Play
>install game
>works perfectly minus 5-10 FPS at most
have sex, poo in the loo and dilate

How does it feel still living in 2006?

> He fell for the wine meme

No one actually uses wine, just like no one actually installs gentoo. You have been memed on kiddo.

There are games that aren't on Steam
Proton is a version of Wine

>GPU passthrough to a VM
Ok, coolio . . .
>Windows XP
. . . What?

I get that it's in a VM, but dude, why Windows XP? If you have GPU passthrough working, you may as well go up to Windows 7 or 10 for DX11 or 12 support. Wine supports nearly all DX9 games because the technology is older than dirt, and I thought they stopped making games with DX9 these days in favor of the newer ones. Plus, I thought Steam stopped supporting Windows XP recently.

games that aren't worth playing, correct
unless it's retro shit and that usually works properly with regular Wine and little more than a few clicks

All you need to do is add it as a non steam game then force proton version and it works just fine with non steam games.

>not reading instructions
>not knowing make
>not knowing how config files work
>not knowing chmod
Why are you even using linux at this point?

I'll just type goy several times, that will make people take me seriously!

You can run non-Steam games through Proton. You can even take Proton (which is just a distribution of Wine) and compile it yourself.

Attached: clown computer.jpg (575x411, 45K)

You can run photoshop with wine

>the only games worth playing are on steam

Stop playing nonfree games. If the game's source code is available you can port it to any operating system instead of relying on stupid compatibility layers.

whats the logic for when the watermark comes up?

>If the game's source code is available

Attached: images - 2019-08-23T051136.274.jpg (641x479, 62K)

>people still using linux

i thought this fad died like 2 years ago

Attached: peep43.jpg (900x900, 77K)

>you can
but user, you can stop being poor and start paying for quality entertainment instead of porting throwaway code and hobby projects.

>>oh you need to turn on hidden files
kek

fuck off phoneposter

This has been a thing since at least the early 2000's. Back then, maybe it was arguably a fad. There's people who have been using Linux their whole lives who are older than me (I'm 18).

It really began to pick up traction in 2014 like we know today for two reasons:

1. MS ended support for Win XP. People on old computers who didn't want to buy a new PC but couldn't run Windows 7 either were stuck on the dying, unsecure platform that was WinXP, or they could move to a lightweight linux distro like Lubuntu or AntiX and receive security updates and modern software support for basically as long as their computer survived. A lot of people learned of Linux and started using it in place of WinXP for this reason. You have to realize the people who were using WinXP up until it's death were the sorts of people who didn't need much out of their computers, and "lightweight yet simple" distros like Lubuntu could do everything they needed - browse the web, check and send emails, work with office documents, etc.

We will likely see another small wave in new Linux users like this soon because MS is now killing support for Windows 7, and many people still hate Windows 10 for privacy concerns and a lack of control over their PC and the like.

2. Steam started supporting Linux in 2013. Since then, Valve has been committed to slowly but surely improving the Linux Gaming experience, and since then more and more Linux games have been added to the platform - some of them former Windows-Only games being ported, and some of them brand new releases. Another worthy note that ties into the gaming thing is that, since this time, GPU support on Linux has been getting better and better. The AMD GPU drivers AMD themselves recommend for Linux gaming are completely open source and work extremely well, and the Nvidia drivers, while closed source, aren't too bad these days either if you have a somewhat recent Nvidia GPU.

yes I post from my iPhone, how could you tell?

Ignore it.

>install Wine without WineTricks
>navigate to the windows application you want to run
>wine it
>everything works as expected
>none of the bullshit you just listed happens
>if your experience is different then you're wrong and your game preferences are wrong and you should feel wrong
>but unironically

I agree with the freedom of information movement in general, but vidya is a medium of art, and art should be judged by a different metric. Art is information, yes, but it's information about how a person feels, and that person's worldview. If you use and proliferate information like that without respecting the terms under which it's provided, you're stomping all over the message. You're spreading a private citizen's personal feelings, that they expressed to you in confidence (even if that confidence may have been predicated on e.g money etc), to people that person didn't want to know about those feelings (again, even if that desire was predicated on a business transaction).

When the information we're talking about is art, that information no longer "wants to be free." Art wants to be proprietary. Art wants to stay with the people who made it. That's why it takes so much courage to publish it at all. At that point, proliferating it without the artist's consent can reasonably be called hijacking it, and it's extremely disrespectful. It ceases to be an issue of digital freedom and becomes an issue of informal privacy. You know someone else's secret, and it's your responsibility as a decent human being not to use that secret in ways that person wouldn't want you to.

Again, though, I only feel this way about art. If any particular game can't be considered art, or at least can't be considered the licensor's art (looking at you, triple-A companies), then by all means, put in an effort to have your freedom.

The only games i have tried on linux (i dual boot because i can't figure out wine) are
>osu!
Worse performance but not noticeable and better sound input lag, better than windows
>terraria
Better than windows
>minecraft
Same performance as windows
>CS:GO
actually playable, i was getting like 10 fps on windows lol

if you aren't a huge gamer then Linux is actually perfect, you don't have to run all the games, just 5 games per year is enough for a human

retarded foss head
based user who understands that not everything should be free as in freedom

>(i dual boot because i can't figure out wine)
>>osu!
what build of the game were you using? I thought it was windows only but they provided a wine package for MacOS?

fucking brainlet, don't post about shit you don't know

>what build of the game were you using? I thought it was windows only but they provided a wine package for MacOS?
what are you talking about?osu?
here's the osu! guide i guess: blog.thepoon.fr/osuLinuxAudioLatency/

huh, didn't know thePoon used linux, thanks
I asked what build in case you were using lazer, since that builds natively and you said you couldn't into wine, but apparently you can, just not very far

Yea i can get basic shit done on wine if there's guides on it but not much. current ranked osu! is so usable on Linux.
>didn't know thePoon used linux
rustbell also used Linux, but he quit because input lag on Linux or something :( we lost possibly one of the best players at this game

>rustbell also used Linux
;'( rustbell
anyway if I can finally rescue my maps and skins from the clutches of NTFS I'll do this, thanks a lot, I had no idea there was this overlap in the communities haha

Alternative:
1) Install windows
2) install steam
3) ???
4) enjoy your security vulnerabilities (cyware.com/news/new-steam-windows-client-privilege-escalation-vulnerability-impacts-over-96-million-users-673c51fc)

> WINE IS NOT EFFECTIVE

I feel you OP, it's fucking terrible and no one wants to admit it because they put in all of this garbage work and they can no longer recognize anything in their /bin/ just so they can play Overwatch and some other gay shit.

Have you been on this board long?

And I feel like there have been more people coming to Linux over the past 2 years after all the goofy shit Windows and Mac have been up to.

This

Attached: IMG_20190316_075127.jpg (500x271, 30K)

how does one fuck up using wine this badly?

>game requires lutris
fucking what

>Alternative:
>1) install steam
ftfy

>install steam
>download terraria
>play terraria
>is good
thanks terraria

Attached: 1548403120053.jpg (1082x695, 287K)

Linux is just perfect
>use integrated intel graphics for Linux, which I know not only are fully open source but also perfectly stable and officially supported and updated
>use dedicated gpu with passthrough in a Windows vm since using in Linux would have crippled its actual performance
Seems like the entire system is supposed to work this way, just accept it

He just wants windows without the activation watermark

I have yet to hear about a single person being hacked through all those vulnerabilities. 99.9% of attacks are caused by you downloading or clicking on something you shouldn't have. It's like saying that you should stop driving cars because of a statistical chance of you dying in a car crash.

>unironically using LUTRIS
lol scrub

Attached: 1538935127012.png (734x658, 682K)

kms vl all

>turn sideways away from linux pc and towards tv
>turn on ps4
>play game

Attached: 1448216316504.png (555x407, 28K)

no gaems

>install lutris
>install launcher/game/whatever
>play game
Are we ever going to ban Microsoft-owned IPs to get rid of these fucking obvious paid Microsoft trolls?

he said game, not games

>le 2008 maymays
ebin

>he isn't using Lutris

Attached: 1566083244283.gif (320x384, 2.23M)

u dumb
>oh this game requires LUTRIS
What? Never had to use Lutris. I've used their site to sometimes to look up some basic fixes like Spore requiring D9VK.
>osu
I literally get over twice the frames in linux vs windows
>CS:GO
This runs really weirdly for me, the new ui stutters so bad that I must chat thru the console, and in some spots in ruby my fps tanks to 50fps. Normally around 200+fps with a r5 1600+2133mhz (yes i know).
Totally playable tho and have reached the one percent.

Other games that I play and work:
>BeamNG.drive
Thru proton, performance not as good but totally fine, UI tends to crash under load tho (its god damn chromium). My PS3 controller also just works, not so in Windows (requires dumb 3rd party stuff)
>Touhous
They just all work flawlessly
>Factorio
With --force-opengl you can play the pirated windows versions if you are a poorfag. They have a native version and the devs are awesome so buy it eventually.

Just in this thread there is thousands of hours of games to play.

You can joke all you want, at the end of the day, you're a retard for even trying to jump through all those hoops in the first place instead of just staying on windows.

This, wine is cancer. I just launch the game from my main prefix. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, I play on windows.

Hi. All the games I play are either on the ps4 or are have a native Linux port

>install wine
>Install dxvk in wine prefix
>Install game in same wine prefix

Not that hard

>Install Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 x64
>Activate it with KMS_VL_ALL
>Tweak the shit out of it in regedit.exe, services.msc and taskschd.msc
>Forget about Loonix problems and enjoy your life, everything works as it should, zero problems, your PC will work for 10 years on the same Windows install and you won't need to do anything in the command line like an autist

>>Touhous
>They just all work flawlessly
oo nice i gotta try them someday knowing they work on linux

Windows XP was the last good version of windows (forced telemetry in vista/7/10)
Also all the good games will rrun on it fine

Use steam. Works great.

Opensuse got pretty good. I haven't had any real problems. It's pretty great.

Use playonlinux if you're too retarded to manage prefixes and follow directions.