Tfw When You Finally got a Job

Fucking sysadmin work again after like a year of freelancing (which meant doing nothing more than half the time, ontop of no health insurance, because I'm not fucking paying for that shit out of my own pocket). Finally. Finally. Finally. At a cushy company HQ too. Gloat about your successes today Jow Forums.

Attached: 220px-Richard_Stallman_-_Fête_de_l'Humanité_2014_-_010.jpg (220x330, 28K)

so how is the new job compared to freelancing?
(besides the new benefits)

Going from freelancing to 9-5 wage slavery seems like a trade down.

Should be good. Just signed the contract. Nice disheveled IT department to work with. No dress code for anyone in the department. Comfy non-cubicle office floor (nothing like google and the other big bois though). Freelancing would have been great if I was actually good at people networking and advertising myself, but I'm not. I feel like a zoo animal when I don't have at-least some structure. Can't wait.

sounds nice, godspeed on the new job

Only if you're good at making lots of money freelancing. I am not. Don't like being around people I don't already know / haven't been forced to know either.

Thank you fren :^)

hopefully you die on your way to work
good luck man

:^(

what do you imagine a freelance / contract sysadmin does? sounds like shit to me and prob cant get much done on any large scale, but then again I am a salaried sysadmin who gets away with leaving early every day and i'm still considered the workhorse of my team. also in the US having health insurance is a big deal lol, if it was canada or whatever that's another story I guess

nonetheless congrats OP, make some friends n hit the ground running, hope u find a way to thrive at the new place ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ curious what your salary / which state you're in (if US) just for reference

Attached: ECFW8qnXoAYEHq6[1].png (731x649, 18K)

It's Junior level so only 63K to start. I foolishly attempted to pursue a career in academia for 3 years after working in IT for 10, but found out the hard way it was basically equivalent to living in poverty. So I started freelancing again (a little remote work, some consulting here and there, doing initial setup of servers, office networks and the like). Finally it led to this. Midwest BTW. Company has a lot of room for growth, so if I prove myself I'm sure I can get bumped up to 90K or more after a year or two. I'm fine with having to get my feet wet again after leaving a better sysadmin position back home to do this useless academic bullshit.

Unless you have a specialized skill-set or your jobs involves a lot of on-site ear-pulling, it's really hard to compete as a freelancer with third world talent willing to work for what is far less than American minimum wage. In the early 2000s everyone thought you could outsource everything but after a bunch of costly blunders, the as-a-service software industry of today demands stable salaried workers. So unless you're a front end dev doing work for local businesses, the freelance gig isn't looking so hot right now.

Went from paid intern to Senior developer,
doubling my original hire salary, and pretty much put in charge of a complex new project, in about a year and a half.

Feels good, man.

I went from a mild player in politics to teaching myself code and getting an internship to begin building tech experience so I can work my political leverage and help the party in a higher level aspect.

also when I started all of this I was homeless with nothing. now i'm an intern and over the hardest part of my plan, getting my first tech job in the field I want to work

P.S. Thanks Jow Forumsentooman!

Truth truth truth.

Hell fuk'n yes. Big congrats brother!

I'm pulling 2k as an intern

How much should I shoot for as a full Dev? doing fullstack work with AWS atm

Depends on your location, but don't expect to get market value until you prove yourself more costly to replace than to pay. They know that you're looking for your year+ of work experience to put on your resume before you really start looking for better-paying jobs.

Maybe 55k.

how to get a job as a freelancer when you're still finishing you degree?

Attached: brainlet5.jpg (596x521, 38K)

Has stallman ever had a job?

he work in UNIX doesn't he?

Yeah, he worked for MIT for a while out of college.

Good job user, enjoy

Was making $30k as a 20-year-old dropout, 5 years later and I just accepted a senior role w/ $182k base salary. Thanks for the gloat thread :^)

I've seen people pull over $1k/month on sites like Upwork. Just avoid undervaluing yourself. I've even made a few bucks on Craigslist. If you know recent graduates, a few of them are likely to be working on side projects. Maybe you can help them out with that.

Impossible to say without knowing your location and stack preference. Host familiarity doesn't usually affect comp too much, employers usually care more about language/framework shit

gg my man

Salary / job thread?

> 24
> $135K
> linux sysadmin
> northeast US / not in a city

fuckin hell, if I saw this a few years ago I'd say it was bait but I believe it.

>24
>jr. sysadmin for inconsistent linux & windows shop with however many hundreds of systems
>department is greatly held back by the amount of boomers kicking around waiting to retire/die and the pay is grossly low for boston >need to GTFO cause even though a lot of the work experience has been great the money aint there

Attached: dog fisting.png (750x743, 688K)

code coast. i'm willing to work until funding as well

> if I saw this a few years ago I'd say it was bait but I believe it
why is that?

also this is my second role being promoted from a jr role in academia that paid a little less than half of this

install gentoo on all the servers
doitfaggot

i'm learning a google language to dev for them

So making sure, I need to work at this company for 1 year before I bounce? Should I stick with them for a while before I bounce or just right as I hit that year mark

>So making sure, I need to work at this company for 1 year before I bounce? Should I stick with them for a while before I bounce or just right as I hit that year mark
If you get a better offer, then by all means bounce. But it's unlikely that searching for better offers will yield much results until you get some work experience on your resume.

today i interviewed for a rival department in my organization. a lot of the work overlaps between our two teams and there's a lot of politics. but the other department is paid better while having easier yet more fulfilling work

i'm pretty sure i'll get an offer and a big pay bump and i'm going to be seen as a traitor. it's going to be great

Attached: ShowImage.jpg (898x628, 42K)

gotcha.

Do I need more then one year if my entire resume is gonna be my current job? I got my dev job with nothing but a firm handshake and a few cheap scripts on my GitHub

should I wait 2 years before I leave? I already have negotiated for a bit of equity

One, two, and three years are all important breakpoints, so it's kind of up to you and how much you hate your current job and how much you want a raise.

they actually do run oracle lignux on the majority of their machines. they needed a junior sysadmin who was familiar with lignux, and that's probably the only reason they hired me. senior sysadmin had his own private interview with me after hr and manager.

asked me questions like 'if you were limited solely to the command line and you needed to find a file, edit, save, and move that file to a different location on a server, what would you do?'. i asked 'seriously?', then obviously i was like 'use locate or find, cd into directory containing file, nano [filename], blah blah blah'.

then he asked me how would i access a remote server at the cli, what partition backup tools i'm familiar with, if i know how to restore from a partition backup via something like fsarchiver, if i was familiar with using rsync at the command line, and can i automate things like this via bash. piece of fucking cake, and at points i had to stop myself from laughing because these are all very basic things (he noticed too). at the end he explained that everyone else who interviewed for the position was more familiar with windows. i laffed. it was good. plus after looking around, i might end up being one of least autistic people in the department, which is great.

it is crazy to me though, because you'd think that anyone applying for any kind of IT work these days would have at-least some familiarity with lignux. i was wrong, or maybe it's just that the midwest is full of dumbos.

Just got fired, I was never happy while I was employed. Life is so much better now it's crazy to think I put up with so much garbage for an okay amount of money. The money isn't worth losing all your hair and sanity, hair started to get really thin and my skin was getting super dried, developed wrinkles in parts of my face where I never had them. Stopped working all of those problems got cured couldn't be happier

I don't live in the US but how would one look for a job? I heard giving your curriculum by hand at random companies isn't really a thing people do anymore. Looking for a job online also seems like a dead end. The way I see it, unless you already know someone in a company you're most likely not gonna get the job you're looking for and have to settle for the worse ones that probably aren't even IT. I'll have to start looking for a job next year, how would one apply for any IT job knowing no company or anyone already in the field that could let you in?

Attached: 1.jpg (600x521, 28K)

if you don't have any education you would typically start in a helpdesk type role. and from there apply internally after a year or two

can you explain the breakpoints and what I should do?

If I can get promotions instead should I go for that?

I'm new to all of this.

How does a sysadmin freelance? Just finished school and trying to find my first IT position, would like to go sysadmin route, hopefully Linux sysadmin eventually.

I thought of starting at a helpdesk job to get basic work experience for a few months and then hopefully find a way to move up or find a slightly better job, but first how would one find this helpdesk job?

There are no answers for "what you should do"; it's your life. I can tell you that, statistically, the more often you jump ship the higher up your salary will go, but that also means displacing yourself, dealing with the stress of moving, potentially winding up in a shitty job that expects you to solve all their problems, etc.

One thing you should definitely do is ask your current job if they're willing to match the salary a new job is offering you, as there's a chance that they will.

I strongly recommend against asking your current job to "match" an offer. If they know you're interviewing and willing to leave, they'll start looking for a replacement.

Just ask for a raise. If you don't get it, take the other offer.

You'd have to work in a pretty petty and spiteful office if they'd seriously give you a raise just to fire you a month later. If that's your assessment of your current place of business, then you should be jumping ship even if they offered you more.

This is the world of business. They know what's going on even if you don't say it, so why not just say it?

gotcha. i'll be working with these guys for awhile because they gave me that first chance and i'm working hard to pay them back and succeed in the company, but I also want to know how to make sure i'm playing the game right

the offer to leave is a good idea, esp because the CEO likes me and I know he'll match offers to keep me on board, esp more fulltime. and I know he's ok with remote work so I can keep this chintzy ass setup where I can play vidya for 2-3 hours a day in the morning before I feel unproductive and go do work for 7 hours or so.

while I am an intern, i'd like to say that I have a bit of job security, i'm the resident "hacker" so to speak. I can write my own path but right now i'm helping them with non sec related work.

just find them and apply. help desk jobs often are entry level and don't require much in the way of education. though maybe having a couple certifications like comptia could help

alright, thank you

Was a Linux Admin this past year. Hated it though. Just started a job as a NOC Analyst a week ago. It came with a pay raise and the people I'm working with are far superior in every way. Better envrionment, lax dress code, no daily agile standups, etc. It's a slight downgrade as far as skillset goes (I will be learning less and will likely stagnate) but other than that it's perfect for now. Also about to get my meme degree in Cybersecurity too.

Attached: 1563918516219.jpg (315x221, 15K)

if you know programming hang out at start up pitch events and offer to be an intern

>sysadmin

Such a meme job. I ended up going from jr shitmin to snr software engineering. Shitmin is basically just janitorial IT shit.

What didn’t you like about being a Linux sysadmin?

"This is the world of business" is exactly right. Asking for an offer match screams "I have no tact", and is a clear signal that not only are you looking, but you've done outreach, fielded calls, probably called out of work to interview, and so on.

Also, a company that provides a raise in response to this tactic is only paying you to keep you around as long as they think is necessary, and not because they sincerely value you any more. If it's somewhere worth being then you won't need that leverage.

I couldn't get a sysadmin job so I'm going back to school for a year. Time to kill myself for when that year is over.

Attached: Bee.gif (150x150, 329K)

Did he spread his white seeds to those poor indigenous women?

I just got my CompTIA A+ and I wanna call TekSystems tomorrow to have them get me a part time job. I'm just wondering what I should tell them I want besides just helpdesk. I'm thinking stuff like deploying PC's, managing accounts, making sure everything working, etc. Is that just Junior Sys admin? What exactly should I tell them that I can do to get a job like this?

Junior sysadmin is kind of just glorified run of the mill tech support, but it opens the door to much better things. Definitely try to land that position as opposed to help desk. Talk about your familiarity with linux and managing networks and servers if you have any relevant experience. It can't hurt. If you don't have the experience, you're looking at a $16-20 an hour help desk position to start (in most places), but you can easily move up from there after a year or less, by demonstrating your value and knowledge.

What a terrific fantasy NEETs have about what jobs are like.

>28
>Bay area
>Software engineer
>Total comp around $200k

Need to get into a faang.

You're clearly not interested in having a good faith discussion about this, but it's hardly a fantasy.

I've both worked at and consulted for startups through SMBs, and I've found these things to be anecdotally true. What exactly do you disagree with? Do you believe asking outright for an offer match isn't tactless? Have you only been able to negotiate higher comp with an ultimatum? What seems more fantasy-like is strolling into your bosses office with a letter and hoping to walk out in a stronger position (for the reasons I've outlined).

I'm speaking from experience in software orgs, maybe it's different elsewhere.

world needs janitors m8

Devops/aws are causing the firing of syadmins everywhere
You've fallen for a meme

So you consider the very idea of asking your employer if they're willing to pay more to keep you on so insulting and "tactless", you honestly expect me to believe you have anecdotal evidence around it?

I have no intention of having a "good faith" conversation with a liar who's trying play some game of aesthetics. This whole concept of a position of strength. It's retarded; you never had a position of strength; they're paying you and can choose not to at any moment. Just face it: you're socially afraid to do something so blunt and are imaging fantasy consequences against it. Yes, I've gotten raises I've pseudo-demanded and no, my relationship in the company hasn't suffered. This is the tech industry and the turn-over rate is extreme. The simple truth was that if I did not get a raise I was going to leave and if they did not I would. They are not goblins trying to punish you for stepping out of line and they are NOT etiquette police judging your actions with suspicion and spite, they are businessmen trying to run a company and are perfectly willing to measure the cost of paying someone and keeping them on board if they are valuable and it would be too expensive to train a replacement.

I'm sure there are plenty of places where HR is full of people like you who are suspicious and would play this retarded game you are imagining, but either my company is just amazing or it turns out most people aren't awful.

Is this true? I see it on Reddit all the time but I think its being overhyped. I'm going for sysadmin and I think I'll be good for until 2030 at least. If I'm wrong, then we must be fucked, because most of us are too retarded to learn how to program or use the cloud shit.

This is the future, old man

Attached: 20190713_151739_1.jpg (2771x3026, 1.13M)

>full time sysadmin
switch to net admin and be stress free op.