I just want GNOME but faster and leaner on resources. Do I ask for too much...

I just want GNOME but faster and leaner on resources. Do I ask for too much? Why does it have to be so laggy compared to Windows 10 on the same machine?

Attached: apps-overview-940x529.png (940x529, 380K)

Other urls found in this thread:

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/86221/how-can-i-lock-my-screen-in-gnome-3-without-gdm
youtube.com/watch?v=FaSUToDvBSk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

looks like it was designed for babies to use

Turn off animations and upgrade your Celeron, faggot

Why the fuck do they copy Mac OS with this shit

You can -EITHER- have GNOME -OR- you can have something faster and leaner on resources.

There are some patches that will be included in GNOME 3.34 and currently available as a COPR repository on Fedora that supposedly improve performance (which can be really bad, just pushing opening the "all apps" button on the psuedodock).

But if you want something leaner on resources you're going to have to switch to something like MATE (I prefer this), Xfce (4.14 was just released which I found buggy but had lots of improvements) or LXQt (fairly barebones). Or go full autist and just use a window manager and "roll your own" "desktop environment."

but I like animations
but there are no animations neither mate nor xfce

Why hasn’t anyone mentioned budgie?

im baby

lxqt is godlike nowadays

because Ikey had an anuyerism and they're no longer moving to QT because Budgie and Solus is dead.

Ubuntu gave them $400 to fix the issue of the Windows key being trapped by the menu and not being available as a modifier to move/resize windows.

use compiz if you like animations, personally I consider them harmful.

please do not use G-d's name in vain.

CAN'T LOCK THE SCREEN WITH GNOME
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/86221/how-can-i-lock-my-screen-in-gnome-3-without-gdm

Attached: 53647189_2352320748386124_6706336809022798725_n-2619211277.jpg (524x601, 119K)

>without GDM
I think I found the problem.

youre hecking weird LUL heck god

good you can read but CAN'T LOCK THE SCREEN WITH GNOME

what gnome version are you using? the latest ones got much faster. Have you tried pop os?

docks aren't from macOS retard but from the Common Desktop Environment

Wrong. They are from NEXTstep, a direct predecessor of MacOS.

I'm sure you can hack FVWM to behave as a better GNOME.
The amount of functionality that old ass wm still has 30 years later when compared to newer alternatives is unreal.

can you link me a github repository of a custom non-major wm-based de?

Uhm, I don't know about any "custom" made DE, but maybe LXDE/LXQt may fit the bill?
They both use Openbox as their window manager IIRC, and build around it.
Don't know of any actual DEs based on FVWM though. Would be cool.

You can run i3 on top of gnome and it's exceptionally comfy

You can personalize KDE to look like Gnome

youtube.com/watch?v=FaSUToDvBSk

That, or disable animations, if you mean keep GTK then use MATE or upgrade your PC.

it's called fedora workstation

you can't lock any desktop environment with itself, xfce uses lightdm or xscreenlocker, kde uses sddm or something, etc

UNIX has nothing to with this
you could even say it's against this because it would mean the same binary does more than it should
retard

KDE is a million times less laggy than GNOME and you can have the same app menu on it. Or just use Xfce+Compiz if you want animations.

>upgrade your Celeron
GNOME stutters on any CPU.

Because it's a lag-free GNOME, but it's still as shit as GNOME.

You'll laugh, but it took me close to 40 minutes to figure out how to add a python-script to the dock and application menu.
And every DE seems to have stupid issues like this
>kde's default filemanager cannot be used to edit root files -if you try sudo dolphin, you get an error message
>mate and x have about as much sex appeal as that infamous casio wristwatch they use in IEDs
>i3

>inb4 why?
WattmanGTK

Use cinnamon

Walt for some weeks when gnome 3.34 comes out, they included a lot of performance related stuff

>GNOME stutters on any CPU.
>2050
>general purpose quantum computers are commonplace
>GNOME still stutters

I thought enlightenment looked cute, it's not too heavy on resources either.

next release will get a lot of performance improvements

Gnome 3 was a mistake

It's cute, yet hard to use and full of bugs

>if you try sudo dolphin, you get an error message
try kdesu

I guess the main question is why? I don't know the appeal of having your desktop look like a chinese android tablet

It's "the future".

You can use xscreensaver or whatever other standalone screen locker is available if you don't want to use GDM. Why tho.

Disable animations, install gnome-with-patches from copr.

you should use GDM if you use GNOME, it has better integration

>it took me close to 40 minutes to figure out how to add a python-script to the dock and application menu
Desktop files are not limited to GNOME.

OP wants to use LESS resources though.

despite looking so metrosexual, it surprised me that in order to change the gdm login screen background you have to do some stupid shit with gresources in a terminal.

Just use i3 in desktop and sway in laptop.

It won't be relevant because that garbage DE is still done in Python and javascript.
GNOME 4 will be an Electron app.

>a DE made of JS.

Attached: javascript-736400_960_720.png (720x720, 28K)

>I just want GNOME but faster and leaner on resources
just wait, buddy, one day they'll remove enough features for GNOME to be fast.

Attached: 1498021234936.jpg (240x240, 6K)

GNOME 4 exclusive preview

Attached: gnome4preview.jpg (1000x563, 37K)

nice

>I just want GNOME but faster and leaner on resources.
dwm or i3 with a few extensions.

No ... software has to adjust and adapt to my computer. I wont adapt according to your software. Let me pick and choose what I want. Stop forcing your suckage on meeeeeee...