Big Data Engineer making 6 figures in California here

Big Data Engineer making 6 figures in California here

ama

Attached: imlistening.jpg (1280x720, 64K)

Are you happy?

no
next question

How long have you been a big data engineer? What is your day like?

about 3 years

9-5, morning standups, agile sprints, mostly ETL, lots of AWS bullshit

>brags about making 6 figures
>not happy
It's almost like there's more to life

Don't you feel ashamed of calling yourself an engineer?

no

better to be rich and unhappy than poor and unhappy

How much do you spend on rent monthly/yearly? You have a college degree? How did you get hired by your current employer?

Attached: 21439374_1235322909900968_1132116175_o_1235322909900968.png (1024x582, 713K)

Do you feel empty inside? I do because no frens.
t. entry level SWE

Attached: 1565972362754.jpg (500x542, 42K)

yes

1700/mo, yes, got a recruiter

What business u use big data for?

>1700/mo, yes, got a recruiter
Heh I pay about as much.

big business

A lot backend and data transformation.

Spark(java or scala) , Python or R.

Why do you think we care? Is it because you're Californian?

Hello Sir. What happens when you press the 4 flag key and the letter R?

"big data" is not a discipline of engineering.

Attached: Screenshot_20190822-195509-01.jpg (1079x1729, 305K)

Have you saved up enough money to buy your dreams yet? Or at least love?

I'm short 2 mil

He lives in California from those 6 figures he can spend $500 tops per month in overpriced stuff.

>6 figures
>California
So you're poor?

SE > PE
8 hour tests ain't shit.

I make about 4K a month after taxes and rent/utilities

what the fuck does a big data engineer actually do

How's your wife's boyfriend?

databases, data warehouses, data streaming, managing terabytes or petabytes of data, running programs on large clusters of machines (think hundreds or thousands of cpus), lots of sql and apache spark

Are there qt3.14 asian girls in your workplace?

>asian "females"

Attached: 7B91A278-6A1D-4B45-9C61-607D8C08E910.jpg (972x1294, 239K)

yes but they're not devs and they're rather dumb

I would easily

>6 figures in California

How is life being poor?

Do you find bottlenecks and berate devs for doing things stupidly? Do you optimize schema indexing? Do mess with server settings and decide how/where to host things? Are you just analytics and performance for other people to use or are you more DBA?

yes, no, second part, first part

not him, but same

Ok, I think I get the idea a little better. We ain't big enough to have one of them yet.

NEET making 3 figures here. AMA.

Are you happy?

Yes!

Lying bitch.

I am not entitled. I do not believe my natural place is to have everything and become upset when I have less, I believe my natural state is to have nothing and am blessed when I have a single ounce more.
I am sitting here typing this on a terrific ergonomic keyboard in front of a 1200p monitor on an i7 4790 machine with 16GB RAM., in fresh, new undies and undershirt ($40 at Walmart for 12 undershirts. 10 boxer briefs, and 12 pair of socks).
I am happy.

How did you get in contact with your recruiter?

Only someone that has completely given up is content with fresh underwear and a computer.

If you have a little bit of experience and they want to talk to you, they'll find you on linkedin or whatever. If you're fresh out of college with no experience then they're going to ignore you. Unfortunately, you have to find your first job for yourself.

If I am happy now, what have I given up?

>6 figures
>Cali
What's it like living in a shoebox?

What was your first job?

recruiter found my resume on a job board

Which Touhou would you fuck?

the red one

I'm not OP, I'm a real engineer. My first job was as a process engineer at a plant making specialty chemicals.

yawn
devops architect making six figures in Arizona here
my cost of living is way lower than yours

Can't go outside till November though

I'm in Phoenix this week and I think it's an absolute shithole and the heat is fucking unbearable, how do you put up with living here? This is still better than California, but that's not saying much.

Phoenix sucks but I literally never go outside in the summer anyway, weather is perfect all winter for riding motorcycles, and if I do want to go outside in the summer I just drive two hours North to the mountains.

Everything is dirt cheap and investment properties are plentiful. Not like I want to live here permanently, just long enough to build up my passive income stream and early retirement money.

Remind me not to go to California. That's MY after-taxes, after-rent, after-utilities at 75k. And that's a severely-under-market 75k.

But you live in flyover land.

I live in West Palm. A lot of old people, but a nice city otherwise. And, hey, no state income tax.

Nice larp. 75k a year would leave you with 60k after taxes and rent is well above $1000 a month there.

Maybe he lives with his folks or he splits rent. 60k/12 is 5k a month, so he just has to spend less than 1k a month on all his shit.