Debian

>debian
>rock solid but old software, lacking developers, not used in production anymore
>ubuntu/mint/etc
>like debian but buggy and bloated, nuff said
>centos
>same problems with debian stable, rock solid but not a good everyday os
>fedora
>I'd rather not beta test pre alpha quality redhat software, also gnome and wayland can fuck right off
>gentoo
>I'd rather not compile everything all the time
>alpine
>my computer is not a docker container, thanks
I'm going to switch to Arch.
What am I in for?
>current debian user, dealing daily with redhat/centos/debian/ubuntu/alpine/etc

Attached: Archlinux-icon-crystal-64.svg.png (1024x1024, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aur.archlinux.org/
aur.archlinux.org/trizen.git
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

regular updates and very rarely shit will break but the AUR is fucking awesome

I understand that aur is like bsd ports.
And as a result the base Arch is really small.
How easy is aur to use?
How good are the packages there?

I have to say, the idea of Arch installing devlibs by default seems nice compared to debian.

>How easy is aur to use?
#pacman -S yay
$yay -S packagename
>How good are the packages there?
aur.archlinux.org/
>Packages 54880

Nothing, i have been using arch for 3 months now, other than no support for partial upgrades (i'm doing partial upgrades anyways) it's very comfy.
systemd bad tho according to Jow Forums but yea

also DON'T use the arch for the aur, if you want a similar aur experience but better, use nixos
i thought you had to install yay manually tho?

>systemd bad
Systemd is fine imo.
One less headache and brings some consistency across distros.
How many aur helpers exist?
Why?
Why are they needed even?
To resolve deps and build?
Can you use aur without an aur script?

oh, yeah, you're right
i forgot package managers aren't 'officially supported' by the dweebs in charge of arch now, the same people that got rid of the original install guide on the arch wiki

>dweebs in charge of arch
Shit, I ain't got time for that.
That's why I used debian.
I really don't have time to troubleshoot my computer after a day at work.
I just want it to just work and focus on my programming stuff and reading.
That's why I put up with the slightly older debian packages.

Install yay as your AUR helper and never need pacman and it's straightforward from there.

Arch doesn't even support partial updates.

>Arch doesn't even support partial updates.
??? that's what i said

>fedora
>I DONT WANNA BETA TEST SOFTWARE
>btw how’s arch lol
>WTF I DONT WANNA ALPHA TEST SOFTWARE

Forgot OpenSuse the most cozy distro.

Attached: Button-filled-colour.png (256x256, 15K)

What's so cozy about it? Is it more cozy than Manjaro?

Currently using Leap on laptop, will switch to Tumbleweed on PC from Manjaro.

It's one of the only Linux distros that work on my laptop out of the box (with others touchpad and/or keyboard did not work), it has YaST one of the imo best config GUI. It has btrfs enabled and configured by default. KDE integration is seamless (if you're into that sort of thing). Afaik it has less programs install from the box then Manjaro (this can be a positive or a negative thing). Its based on an enterprised software and has good documentation. Overall is imo the best distro for someone that dosen't want to get bothered by the OS and just wants to get work done. Plus it has a really great logo.

Manjaro broke a few times for me because of an update (afaik its much worse then Arch) so yeah don't really have the time to deal with this right now.

try artix, an arch fork w/ runit instead of systemd.

install gentoo

>fedora
>the beta test "argument"
>implying you must use gnome with wayland
dropped

>i just want to program and read
>he shits on perfectly good distros that just work for the whole thread

It just works, Tumbleweed is rolling, and easy to use. btrfs + snapper allows you to easily roll back and never have to worry about a broken system. Its tested/stablized before releases and Ive never had a problem. Their implementations of kde and xfce are both great out of the box. I've heard their gnome is good too.

>lacking developers
Dude they have more devs than any other distro not named Red Hat or maybe even more, what the hell are you smoking?

It's not like i hate systemd. i was just quoting Jow Forums

wtf pacman doesn't find yay.

>debian
>lacking developers

Need directions to the gas chamber or you can get there by yourself?

>What am I in for?
a comfy really low maintenance distro
>How easy is aur to use?
$ git clone aur.archlinux.org/trizen.git
$ cd trizen
$ makepkg -si
$ cd ..
$ trizen -S trizen
$ rm -rf trizen

replace trizen with yay if you prefer that.
after installing its basically the same as pacman.

Regular updates and the awesome AUR.
Has been fairly stable for me so far over the last 2 years.

>How many aur helpers exist?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers
7 pacman wrappers
>Why are they needed even?
because otherwise you need to manually clone an makepkg -si all AUR packages, its just for convenience

So you can just type trizen instead of having to go to the AUR site, git clone and makepkg. And having easy updates for AUR packages.
Simply convenience

dude debian 10 just came put. even ubuntu lts is using outdated gimp while it's updated on debian

lol arch sucks

German Arch wiki has a detailed install guide even more beginner friendly than the original English one. No idea why the English one is so bare bones.

If you install Arch, you better make a huge root partition. Mine is "only" 10gb and its 96% full after 6 months. Therefore I can't install a single package through pacman because somehow I need to do a 1gb upgrade, this is the power of bleeding edge.

Is there an LTS kernel for TW, or an option to not upgrade the kernel only?
I've been using TW but the constant kernel changes is causing my optimus nvidia laptop to either not go to sleep mode/suspend, or even fail to shutdown despite using the nouveau driver.

I think they changed it because it was crating too many newbies that didnt know what they copy pasted.
>disk is full
>surprised he can't download stuff to disk
>this is somehow the fault of his specific type of distro
Arch is not for you

Afaik no.

Arch GNU has such an option. This among others is why it's objectively the best GNU operating system.

>debian
>old software

So my version of Debian has LibreOffice 6.1 rather than 6.3 and python 3.7.3 instead of 3.7.4.

I'll live, it's a very tiny price to pay for having the most stable reliable and resource friendly computer that I have ever used in my life.

sudo pacman -S yay-bin

Any operating system running systemd can't be considered "stable" in any conceivable way.