Wanting to switch from Gmail. What email providers are you using Jow Forums?

Wanting to switch from Gmail. What email providers are you using Jow Forums?

Attached: No_Gmail.gif (240x240, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mailcow.email/
mail-tester.com/
posteo.de/en
protonmail.com/privacy-policy
matomo.org/features/
theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/25/switzerland-votes-in-favour-of-greater-surveillance
conferences2.sigcomm.org/imc/2015/papers/p27.pdf
dw.com/en/things-to-know-about-germanys-recent-surveillance-laws/a-39421060
spoofbox.com/en/tool/trash-mobile
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Thunderbird
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Self host. Easiest on a VPS.

I host my own. Gmail is actually fairly good for throwaways and spam sluts.

I'm using criptext. It's open source, it uses the signal protocol, and stores all emails on your device, rather than on their server. Oh, also, no insecure Javascript shit. You download their mail client to your computer.

They also allow you to sign up for 2 additional email addresses, and switch between them without having to sign out.

I self host. Most people on g are too stupid to get it up and running

I did it, but then all my emails got sent straight into the spam folder at every mainstream email service, so I just abandoned it.

Also, a lot of internet providers try to block you from doing that on residential, because its real easy to fuck up.

What software do you recommend for an expert programmer to try.

just use mailcow, it takes less than 5 minutes.

mailcow.email/
full suite of software for fully functioning, spam resistant, email

Exhibit A
I have mine up and running using postfix and dovecot. Its not about being a skilled programmer its about getting the config exactly right and no the guides arent perfect. I remember when i had to migrate my email server from one running ubuntu to another running debian and simply copying the configs over and ensuring all the necessary packages are installed didnt work. Email was made and added onto by autists.
Never heard of it desu

Gmail

>Most people on g are too stupid to get it up and running
>"make sure to check your spam folder" is what you routinely say after giving out your email

Yes let me apply to jobs with an email like that. Sounds like a great time

you need to setup DKIM, SPF and dmarc, none will go to spam
also use mail-tester.com/
Also if you want every bell & whistle just use mailcow.

>protonmail
I don't pretend it actually does anything special but it's really nice, I like it.

Attached: login.jpg (1920x1011, 80K)

Quick and easy switch, just to get away from Google: Protonmail

Harder switch but better control over security/domain: Self host

1. Easiest on a vps so you're not using residential IP.
2. You can get your IP whitelisted on places like spamhaus, set up DKIM and SPF, and ask your ISP to set you a rDNS record that is actually for your domain and you're sending emails like a pro.

Proton free edition any good?

someone post that hackernews story about the guy running a mail server since 2001 getting bullied by jewgle filtering rules and the google employee in the comments pretending to have empathy

It's usable for casuals. Mailbox is capped at 500mb so if you're a hardcore email user you're gonna have to back up old emails at some point. I used the free version for a long time before I upgraded. Humble Bundle fucked up and I bought so many $25 credit codes for $1.

Thanks mate.

Any issues with blacklisting?

in my case gmail is by far the easiest to send mails to. As your dkim and spf are correct, they don't care.
microsoft/outlook is by far the worst. Even when all your shit is correct and no blacklist has you, they sometimes put you in spam folder.

Not really. Comes with a pathetic amount of space (500MB) compared to Tutanota (1GB) or Criptext (however much space your device has). You can also only send/receive 150 emails per day on Protonmail, whereas Tutanota only limits the emails you can send per day (does not specify how many; it apparently varies based on several variables, although it has never been as low as 150), and Criptext doesn't seem to limit anything at all (though that may change if spammers try using it).

Tutanota also has better search than Protonmail, and a calendar. They don't look as good, though (unless you like white and red, or grey and pale blue). Criptext looks a lot like Gmail.

posteo.de/en

Subscribed to a paid a account, totally worth the 1€ per month fee.

Just checked some records for shits and giggles. I've been using ProtonMail as my primary email provider since late 2017 and my mailbox isn't even 200 megabytes. The bulk of that are from emails with attachments I never cared to organize. Most emails are just text worth a few kilobytes so 500MB is totally okay if you're a pleb like me.

I don't know man. My problem is I tried a couple alternatives but the more privacy respecting they are, the more people have their servers marked for spam and blocked. Email is useless when I can't do my business with it. Depressing.

Tutanota is based in Germany and Germany is politically fucked right now.
Criptext logs info about your device and it looks like Gmail.

The less personal info (((they))) have on you the more likely it is you're a spam account. Why can't we just trust each other.

When people ask if something is any good, you need to answer it relative to their competition. Protonmail has less space, a worse search function, no calandar, and PGP encryption (the worst of the big 3 encrypted apps, as a lot of metadata isn't protected - though a significan pro is that you can hand out your PGP public key for non PM users to send you encrypted messages).

PM isn't without its merits, but it is considerably worse than its competition in most ways.

>When people ask if something is any good, you need to answer it relative to their competition.
I agree, but you do have to draw a line somewhere. People hoarding 9000 TBs of data in their email is a phenomenon Google spearheaded. That kind of hoarding wasn't always normal and still isn't imo.

Here's PM's privacy policy.
protonmail.com/privacy-policy
There, you can see this:
>We employ a local installation of Matomo, an open source analytics tool. Analytics are anonymized whenever possible and stored locally (and not on the cloud).

So, what does Matomo collect? If we go to their website, we can see.
matomo.org/features/
>All standard statistics reports: top keywords and search engines, websites, social media websites, top page URLs, page titles, user countries, providers, operating system, browser marketshare, screen resolution, desktop VS mobile, engagement (time on site, pages per visit, repeated visits), top campaigns, custom variables, top entry/exit pages, downloaded files, and many more, classified into four main analytics report categories – Visitors, Actions, Referrers, Goals/Ecommerce (30+ reports)

So that's PM's website. But what about their service?
>we have access to the following email metadata: sender and recipient email addresses, the IP address incoming messages originated from, message subject, and message sent and received times. [...] We also have access to the following records of account activity: number of messages sent, amount of storage space used, total number of messages, last login time.
This is more metadata than Tutanota collects.

Also a fun tidbit from PM:
>When a ProtonMail account is closed, data is immediately deleted from production servers. Active accounts will have data retained indefinitely. Deleted emails are also permanently deleted from production servers. Deleted data may be retained in our backups for up to 14 days.

Compared to Tutanota:
>In order to maintain email server operations, for error diagnosis and for prevention of abuse, mail server logs are stored max. 7 days. These logs contain sender and recipient email addresses and time of connection but no customer IP addresses.

I don't use either, but one is worse.

>This is more metadata than Tutanota collects.
Same shit, different flavor. Quite literally all of that information is available when mail hits an email server. We're just pretending email providers are benevolent based on terms and conditions. Look up the research papers on proportions of emails that are SSL stripped broken down by country.

Sure but the difference is PM is based in Switzerland a non-EU country while Tutanota is based in Germany a leading pro imigrant, debauchery and degeneracy EU country that already jailed people because they shared opinions on the internet. It's just a matter of time when they will either force Tutanota to spy on it's users or they will shut down Tutanota altogether.

Switzerland isn't much better, and has been getting worse every time the subject gets broached. Stop letting your personal biases get in the way. theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/25/switzerland-votes-in-favour-of-greater-surveillance

Feel free to compare the two. Its a very significant difference. Furthermore, the indefinite data retention from PM is absolute shit, compared to Tuta's maximum retention period of 7 days.

>Look up the research papers on proportions of emails that are SSL stripped broken down by country.
I never said either one was a good product. Anything that allows you to access your supposedly encrypted emails via JavaScript gets an automatic "F" for me in regards of security/privacy. However, when you compare the two, one is very clearly superior. Note that this does not mean that you have to use the superior one, but you should be intellectually honest about which one is actually better.

I'm just poking fun at random shit don't mind me. Don't want to sound like I'm preaching.

Found the paper though.
conferences2.sigcomm.org/imc/2015/papers/p27.pdf
>In the most severe case, 96% of messages
sent from Tunisia to Gmail are downgraded to cleartext.
I have a filter that catches emails sent without TLS. Sometimes it surprises even me and I'm not from the third world.

Presuming the Javascript isn't fucked, then Tutanota actually skirts around this problem when sending emails to other email providers. Your email never leaves their server. Instead, Tuta sends a regular message that says that the person has an encrypted email waiting for them, and gives them the link. The person then has to enter a pre-agreed upon password to access the encrypted email. Criptext and PM operate similarly, although I believe you need to be a paying customer of PM in order to get access to that feature (that may have changed since I last researched them, however).

Switzerland is getting there but they are far from the Germanys level of surveillence. dw.com/en/things-to-know-about-germanys-recent-surveillance-laws/a-39421060

And also since I'm a citizen of an EU country if by any chance my goverment wants to spy on me, getting data from Switzerland will be much harder then from an EU country such as Germany.

iCloud

Rather kill myself

Yes, but Tutanota will have less information to hand over than PM. Right now, if PM chose to comply with your government (not unheard of, as they have complied without receiving a court order before), they would have a treasure trove of info dating back to INDEFINITELY. If Tuta did the same, you'd have a max of 7 days. So even if it's more likely that Tuta would comply (which is a tossup given PM's history), they would have much less to give. Not to mention that, even if their data retention covered the same period, Tuta would have less metadata to hand over due to them using an encryption method that isn't PGP.

There is no silver bullet when it comes to email.
Use what you want. It makes no difference to me. Just know exactly what it is that you are using. In my opinion, PM is the most expensive while offering the fewest features and is a coin toss on privacy (although I still rate both PM and Tuta an F if you have even once logged into your account through their website, which PM requires if you want to set up 2FA).

Gmail

Gmail

Hotmail.

cock.li

Attached: translated.d1555961647285.tmgrl_longpurple_light_reveal.png (750x1000, 650K)

Don't know what the fuck you need more than 500 MB for. You'd have to have tens of thousands of emails to come close to filling it. You can do that if you sign up for random websites with it, but you can do that with any random throwaway mail service.

Did some research on this: Per their website:
>Are there any limits to sending emails in the same period of time?

>You can send up to 250 emails. After that you must wait 1 minute to send each subsequent email. After 2 hours the block is reset.

That's not too bad. Unlimited receive, up to 4,428 emails send per day (although with the 1 per minute sending after 250, realistically you are closer to 3k send per day if you want to set yourself a reminder every 2 hours and don't sleep).

None of those bums caring about email providers ever had a job.

What do?

autism

Yandex with my own domain. Seems like a viable option for usa

How do I selfhost?

Postfix and dovecot, but have fun setting up certificates.

Use mailinabox. I've been using it for about four years without issue.

disroot

>Not having [email protected] address
It's like you don't want people to take you seriously.

>not having [email protected]
Doing it wrong

Disroot.

Good lad.

fuck her

>Plain text email on someone's home server
Kek

Not a single person has mentioned fastmail? It's fantastic

>it's so hard to use encryption
Let me guess, you posted that bullshit from your iHomo device.

I hate microsoft specifically for this reason. They also ban entire ip ranges for spamming 3 times ive have had to get my
vpses ip removed from their list because some guy using the same provider sent a bunch of spam so microsoft blocked the entire /24

This, gmail is actually very very nice to deal with as a self hoster. Microsoft sucks to send to

cock.li

Does anyone know how to make a gmail account without a phone number, it won't accept mine. Does it blacklist IP addresses or MAC adresses what do I need to use the avoid the phone verification.

spoofbox.com/en/tool/trash-mobile

But if I just want to quit the Bigdata (don't want mails from shops, hospitals etc were used to make my portrait to show ads) and I don't care much about governmental espionage (by email? srsly?) is there any sense to move from gmail? Where? Are shops' email mainly hosted on gmail with personal domain or they are "self" hosted? And in latter case, is there still any sense?

Attached: 1984-movie.jpg (1024x704, 96K)

Her?

Attached: 2019-08-23-212203_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 17K)

>google vps > home vps
>pay != not pay
he needs a better option
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Thunderbird
its an open source so It's better to trust them

Thunderpird :DDDDD

Attached: si.png (400x400, 33K)

fugg nice birb :DDD

Not birb :DDDDD
Pird :DDD

Pird :DDDD like benis :DDDDD

cock.li

>emails requiring phone numbers now
what the fuck

Cock.li

Why do you people care about emails so much?

Attached: 1366953785007.png (184x156, 2K)

I use my own domain with fastmail.

It's basically your wallet, that holds they keys to everything.
From your accounts, to your contacts, your purchases, your communications and often even your agenda.

cock.li

>They now offer @hitler.rocks domains
top kek.

How about your college?
You generally keep access after graduating, mind you.

My favorite is @nuke.africa

protonmail.com

>@jews.did.911

wut?
I use Google Suite with my own domain hosted mail
why should own domain mails suddenly stop working and get thrown into spam? (just set SPF correctly)

how much does it cost per year? I mean in terms of power

Everything but a DIY solution is botnetted and backdoored by NSA.

The best alternative is outlook online but really just go Gmail or DIY. If you go DIY losing some of the nice things about Gmail like the search blows.

Self hosting seems dubious
I don't see a way to prevent out of control spam that nearly killed email before they invented bayedian filters. I don't see how you can diy a reasonable filter.

Yep, I had to go to their 'unlist your ip' a few times for my company, because people are emailing.. wait for it... business emails, that are like several paragraphs sometime. Shit that is clear as fucking day not spam.

If you have a fixed IP you can run your own.
Don't try it otherwise, or most commercial relays will bounce your mail as spam.

You missed the point. It's not that it isn't easy to send mail to gmail (it is), it's that they aggressively filter competitors that don't have a business impact on them, so sending from a small mail server to gmail will end up in spam even if the mail server is flawlessly setup.