/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - the Family of Free Software edition

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

A must-read: blagblagblag.org/anarchism/index.html

Previous thread:

Attached: 57454745.jpg (862x1000, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

alsa-project.org/db/?f=ff955851f3d360336844779b1456f7250c024373
zdnet.com/article/whats-the-most-popular-linux-of-them-all/
quora.com/What-are-the-most-popular-Linux-distros-in-2019
trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=US&q=MX Linux,Debian
pavelfatin.com/videos/scrolling.mp4
wiki.xfce.org/howto/xfwm4_theme
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Birst

Attached: jtqdg3qtk2i31.png (960x498, 137K)

Ugh so manjaro just shat itself.

Suddenly my laptop started wheezing up and run hot without any process actually taking a toll(CPU was at 4% in htop and other managers)

So I rebooted, and in the login screen, the system freezes within seconds. I can move the cursor for like 1 second before it starts lagging and them freezes with the rest of the system. Manjaro advanced boot doesn't have anything that helps either.

Wtf do I do here?

Globally

The PC speaker can be disabled by unloading the pcspkr kernel module:

# rmmod pcspkr

Blacklisting the pcspkr module will prevent udev from loading it at boot:

# echo "blacklist pcspkr" > /etc/modprobe.d/nobeep.conf

>manjaro

Stop using Manjaro

Attached: varg-vikernes.jpg (696x464, 102K)

Log in without using the display manager (press Ctrl + F to get a TTY, log manually). Check top/htop or whatever and try logging in and switch back to the TTY to see what's happening.

You could also run dmesg -w in a separate TTY to see what's happening.

Hi, I disassembled my thinkpad for the first time completely and cleaned the fan. Parallelly I reinstalled arch on it.
Now my speakers don't work anymore.
I read 100 forum posts, played around with amixer (yes I unmuted my sound) , pavucontrol and many other packages, but could not fix it.
I just ran the official alsa-info.sh script which outputs all data about my sound system. You can the the result here:
alsa-project.org/db/?f=ff955851f3d360336844779b1456f7250c024373

I want to know for sure if I made a mistake with the hardware when I put the notebook back together of if I made a mistake reinstalling some packages.
What is the best way to answer this question?
Thanks!

try doing arch minimal install

I would chroot into it to see what's the problem but you're on manjaro so I'm guessing you don't know how to do that
If I were you I'd just save my files from a live usb environment and then install a good distro

lol faglet

Actually I managed to boot fine with fallback initrams. But the question is why?
I mean initrams launches with every module included but why the fuck would some module suddenly go missing and mess up the boot? This isn't Windows where it just installs or changes shit in the background.

And since fallback isn't the default option, I'm now kinda sitting between chairs of finding out what the issue is, or just selecting fallback initrams every boot.

>I mean initrams launches with every module included but why the fuck would some module suddenly go missing and mess up the boot
If you get to the login screen, then there's nothing wrong with the boot process. I suspect that your display manager fucked up, which is why I asked you to log in on a separate TTY.

One issue I had recently with LightDM was that the default user groups had changed, so X.org no longer had the necessary permissions to read my ~/.xauth file. It simply worked by changing file permissions on that file. I don't think you have the same problem, but the point is that I don't think it is a system issue.

could be an issue with graphics card drivers but no clue how to resolve that

Debian > Ubuntu >>>>>> Linux Mint

Attached: 1561035992691.png (775x1024, 93K)

I tried running dmesg -w in TTY but it said the operation isnt allowed.

However, rebooting normally after booting into fallback initrams seems to have resolved the issue for now(unless I'm still in fallback for some reason, but there's no indication of this.)

Something weird though, before I switched to Linux(again) Windows was having a similar issue where it would freeze up out of nowhere, and then refuse to boot. I attributed it to Win10 trying to update GPU drivers that didn't really fit my laptop.

But if a similar thing is happening in Linux out of the blue, then could it be that my AMD GPU is just dying? But isn't the OS running on the integrated intel chip anyway?

Oh I should add that booting into safe mode in Windows resolved the issue in same way the fallback has done it here.

I just installed mx linux and apparently my joystick automatically activated mouse emulation. How to edit the settings? I want to add functions like F5 for refresh and scroll up & down

Use Debian stable or Ubuntu LTS instead. Seriously.

Attached: 1561047849425.png (434x521, 43K)

Isn't it Debian based too? I just picked what's on top of the list on distro site

Don't use Debian and don't use Ubuntu

>I tried running dmesg -w in TTY but it said the operation isnt allowed.
You need to be root

To that guy that reccomended cantata or anyone that knows about it,
1) how do you change the display to show album art instead of a menu and
2) how do i have multiple music library sources? My music is across 3 folders

I have two directories with lots of large files. What's my fastest option for checking equality between their structure AND contents?

Probably want to do a tree equality check first, and only proceed with a hash check or something if that succeeds? Maybe do a filesize equality check first, too.

Ok I did it, and as suspected all red concerns radeon.
>radeon 0000:01:00.0: failed VCE resume (-22)
and then further down
>[drm:uvd_v1_0_start [radeon]] *Error* UVD not responding, trying to reset the VCPU!!!
ten times before saying "giving up!!!"
and stating that radeon 0000:01:00.0 failed initializing UVD (-1)

MX Linux is only no1 on Distrowatch because people and bots click on it a lot. According to the statistics I found on various sites on the internet, these might be the true numbers:

1, Ubuntu
2, other Debian-based systems (including Mint and, of course, Debian itself)
3, Fedora
4, Arch and Arch-based distros

MX is pure propaganda, it's nowhere near as them (although there are a lot of people tricked into using it).

Attached: 1562258954926.jpg (499x481, 28K)

>According to the statistics I found on various sites on the internet
Actual meaning:
>According to stuff I just made up myself because I cant handle distros I dont like being #1
Further proven by
> here are a lot of people tricked into using it
Distrowars are just as juvenile as console wars. Grow up.

Not familiar with Radeon, but you could try setting radeon.modeset=0 or nomodeset in the GRUB cmdline if it happens again.

Ok, here are some of my sources:

zdnet.com/article/whats-the-most-popular-linux-of-them-all/

quora.com/What-are-the-most-popular-Linux-distros-in-2019
(the answers of Lucas Mehl and Chris Bailey)

>some random nerds saying what they think is popular
eyoooooooooo

Why does the Linux kernel have 2 (TWO) RAID implementations? (mdadm and lvm)

Ok. Then show me your statistics.

>statistics
There fucking aren't any.
People that use Linux don't go on distrowatch lmfao that shit is for fucking retards.

>your statistics.
distrowatch, aka the #1 source for watching distos

Distrowatch does NOT rank Distro popularity, they rank clicks on their own website.
Here, look at Google hits:
trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=US&q=MX Linux,Debian

LVM is the future, mdadm will be obsolete in a couple of years.

stay mad

???

>gets btfo
>says stay mad
what did he mean by this

Attached: bruhcrossedeyed.jpg (1024x860, 51K)

Ignore the guy, he's clearly retarded. Probably a newfag.

Attached: 1565234071501.jpg (1129x634, 92K)

>literal toy image
talking about retarded

That would probably work, but desu I'm more interested in knowing whether my GPU is dying or not.

do you get sound from the headphone jack?
diff? or just rsync if you want them to be the same

yes

Download a GPU benchmark/stress tester.

>Download a GPU
stopped reading there

(You)

Let me clarify. The sound from the headphone jack works.

Is there a way to install Ubuntu LTS with another desktop environment instead of Gnome? And no, not with a flavor.

That will do nothing for him, if his GPU is actually failing to load certain instances on boot.

You can literally benchmark faulty and outright broken GPUs.

Yeah you can install the server version then build X Server and your window manager on top of that

>That will do nothing for him, if his GPU is actually failing to load certain instances on boot.
No, it's a buggy driver, which was why it worked when he booted an older kernel probably with older drivers ("fallback") with initramfs manually.

How about netinstall without the Gnome desktop and installing a de after?

>reeeee flavours trigger me irrationally
Just deselect Gnome and pick a different DE under install

You can use netinstall or the default graphical installer, they both support selecting packages. You can also install another DE during install, no real need to wait until after reboot.

>AMD drivers not resuming properly
kek you got burned.
Nvidia doesn't have this problem.

Jordan, pls

It certainly wasn't when he's having a similar issue with Windows.

Did he say he had the same problem on Windows? Didn't he say that booting into Windows literally alleviated the problem when he rebootet back into Manjaro?

BSOD's?
Games crashing?
Computer failing to post or resume?

Welcome to AMD.

How can I have beautiful scrolling like this on Linux?

pavelfatin.com/videos/scrolling.mp4

debian xfce currently

Ok so I used gputest and the triangle ran perfect without any issues. But when I ran FurMark it froze almost completely.

Problem is, even the fallback boot option is now freezing up just like the regular. Both are 4.19 66-1 btw.

And regarding Windows. I had the exact same issue of it randomly freezing and then freezing on boot. But booting into safe mode worked, and then it would work for some time with regular boots as well before it would start freezing again. But I attributed this to Win10 installing shit in the background.

X11/Linux*

>Linux
What makes you think scrolling is handled by the kernel?
Joking aside, what makes you think scrolling is handled by the OS?
Pretty sure it's up to the application developer.

That's definitively a failing card then, if both the Linux driver and Windows driver fails. Just to be sure, you could always try upgrading/downgrading the Linux driver, but I personally would be pretty confident at this point.

Ok fifth attempt to start with the fallback worked.

this depends on what software you want smooth scrolling. It's not a systemwide thing
For example here on qutebrowser on wayland this you can only activate it but not modify the animation speed. I think firefix allows you to control this

Attached: out.webm (1366x768, 596K)

Does the card have some sort of self-test option in BIOS? (Probably not, I don't think consumer GPUs usually have this).

Yea shit, thats what I thought.

I'll keep downgrading the driver as an option when it happens the next time.

Thing is though, can't I just diable or circumvent the AMD GPU completely and then just have the system use the regular Intel HD GPU?

I dont really game on this laptop anyway so it wouldn't matter to me, but I dont know what the consequences really are.

>can't I just diable or circumvent the AMD GPU completely and then just have the system use the regular Intel HD GPU?
You can disable the AMD driver, yes. You can add the AMD driver(s) to the modprobe blacklist and/or disable them as the GRUB cmdline.

You would probably also need to hide the GPU from the free open sauce driver (or alternatively disable the driver). If you don't want to see it at all in the system, you could either disable it in the BIOS (if your BIOS supports stuff like that), or you can give arguments to GRUB cmdline to ignore specific PCIe devices.

Thanks. So the system would work fine that way right?
Sadly it doesn't.

>Thanks. So the system would work fine that way right?
Yeah

Thanks for your help guys.

Weirdest thing is, even though I had this issue when still using Windows, games, even modern ones like MGSV ran fine.
But I guess it freezing up the system during a benchmark sends a pretty clear message.

For sure you should try different drivers, even trying the open/free one as well, just to be sure. But it's a pretty clear indication though.

I just used mhwd -l -d to check the drivers and it says the currently installed driver for the Radeon card is video-linux 2018.05.04, which is a free driver.
And its also listed as the only available driver for this card.

which Linux distribution should I install on my new laptop? I'm currently using Arch on my old laptop but feel lazy about installing it, but would like something that doesn't use """stable""" ancient versions of applications and not sure if there's anything or i should just bite the Arch bullet again

Attached: 48f.png (1349x695, 13K)

arch is a meme

what is the best lightweight distro for an old notebook that has a core 2 duo? bonus points if it's something that's idiot proof and doesn't have much problems

Is using KDE Plasma the only way to have a non retarded file picker with previews for efficient memeposting on Jow Forums? I'm currently using Mint 18.2 and this file picker meme is driving me insane.

unironically this

Get a Macbook already

The filepicker is DE agnostic, you should be able to configure Firefox to use any filepicker on your system.

So if I don't like the way my DE looks I should be able to manually create my own and tweak it to my own autistic specifications right? I'm using Xfce btw

Attached: 1431372357428.jpg (400x400, 43K)

Simply epic.

How do I configure it to use Nemo? I've been googling this shit for hours.

that's not the question though
too late, i have no more moneys

Attached: D8mZthQU0AA3JFj.jpg_large.jpg (765x1200, 123K)

how to configure firefox or chromium to use the KDE meme-picker?

>I should be able to manually create my own and tweak it to my own autistic specifications right?
Yes, of course, I would guess it is a multi hundred hour project to get something which really does what you want.

depends on your IQ and conscientiousness

fedora has up-to-date packages and a graphical installer

Attached: 1564422558934.gif (487x560, 898K)

works fine on manjaro

oh god I meant create my own theme

wiki.xfce.org/howto/xfwm4_theme

sounds like a good option, any complains about Fedora aside from the name?

that its shit, and the only reason its even mentioned in these threads is because the 2-3 idiots actually using it, are desperate to increase their numbers

Is there some way to "bookmark" a specific command so I can retrieve it from a list or something? Inb4 bookmark it to your brain.

You have to patch Firefox. Currently KDE neon and openSUSE are two distros that I know have this patch. Also it only works in KDE.

Chromium uses the file picker of your desktop environment, so again if you're using KDE it will use that filepicker, if you're using GNOME/MATE/Xfce it will use the GTK one.

Some applications like Discord use an ultra shitty version of GTK with no preview at all, Steam uses it's own which also has no previews.

Personally I just drag stuff in from the file manager.

Attached: 44849202_2045300608826785_3209416085033818190_n.jpg (1001x1251, 71K)

I mean bookmarking it in the terminal, not some random txt file on the desktop, grandpa style.

It's pretty easy to create gtk themes, you just edit one (gtk3 is css) that you like already to your specifications. I've never done Xfwm decorations, only metacity which is much easier. KDE is the hardest to create decorations for since you have to program and compile them usually.

>Chromium uses the file picker of your desktop environment, so again if you're using KDE it will use that filepicker, if you're using GNOME/MATE/Xfce it will use the GTK one.
how does chromium know? is there a simple way to trick him like a environment variable or similar?