Oh yeah that was a thing

oh yeah that was a thing

Attached: Sony-Xperia-Play-Open-FL.jpg (1024x986, 85K)

Fuuuuuuuug I want one

>>>/vidya/

This but with modern chips and hardware.

I wish this was still a thing. Slap retroarch in that bitch and you're all set.

it was shit, and here's why
>useless, uncomfortable touchpads instead of analog nubs akin to PSP
>atrocious build quality (especially the issue with screen's flex cable fucking itself over time)
>software support dropped shortly after launch
and worst offender of all
>android
gaming devices and mobile phones should be two separate things. If you want a device to do both, it'll do neither very well.

This, but I'd prefer it with a 720p screen.

Get a psp go then, they are dirt cheap and suffer none of those problems.

I got a regular Android phone and it's pretty gud at emulation stuff, especially if you use one of those controllers with a clip/grip to hold your phone.

Attached: Screenshot_20190823-155626.png (1579x2048, 560K)

and it was great.
i've never experienced those problems.

>mobile "gaming"
cringe and yikespilled

they should make an improved modern version that fixes all of the problems this one had. they won't ever do it though because this one performed poorly so they killed off the product line

I have a great android and I emulate hordes of shit on it. you can speed up older games, save at any point, and cheat, it's actually better than the systems themselves

this, except you don't even need a controller.

I never had one, but a friend did. shit looked /comfy/ to use. too botnet for me, but sony's android stuff has always been nice. i had a z3 a while back

It was a bit underpowered and the triggers were bad.

I liked it, but the hardware was almost instantly dated. I'd pay premium price for a new one with modern hardware and slightly better analog.

That thing was a dream for emulation.

/thread

I had the version of that with QWERTY keyboard. Was best phone ever. Could easily run PSX and N64 emulators.

This with modern hardware and detachable controls like the Switch has would be the best thing ever. Add psnow to it and it will literally kill the competition. It just needs to be as powerful as the Switch, that's it

>detachable controls like the Switch
What would make it different from other phones? You could have a switch-like experience with any regular phone if there were USB-C joycons and if the phone had USB ports on both sides (or connect joycons wirelessly, but I'd prefer the 2 being wired).
>just needs to be as powerful as the Switch
Thing is, it would be 2x more expensive than the switch and at that price point it's better to just buy a switch and mod it. The most powerful 300$ phone is Pocophone, which is not bad but you'd still miss out on games that switch has. Android gaming doesn't really have a future and emulating anything PS2 and above is basically impossible. Maybe WINE for android gets better so you can play desktop games.

not much point. just keep it as thicc as the original and it will have a 4500mah battery anyway.

It's literally just a normal android phone with some tacky flat controls

it's just a psp on a phone, right?

it was great for emulators

>this was a thing

Attached: SteamBox-Piston.jpg (600x337, 152K)

I used to have one back in the day. Very few games actually supported it so you didn't get to use it often but when a game supported it then it was absolutely comfy and based. I wish somebody remade the same concept in 2019 but with slimmer body, borderless screen and front facing speakers. With controller emulation on android it could actually be viable and work on any game.

Could have been worse, like a fan inside a case with no air holes worse

Attached: 026d1a2ff60f05d67b6a3e8ead4944e1-480-80[1].jpg (480x270, 11K)

>i/o
uwu

everyone who bought this piece of crap deserved getting robbed

>Nokia NGage game cartridges are still expensive

Great idea, shitty execution. So basically like any other Sony phone.

>was

Attached: file.png (1200x800, 902K)

No doubt. The posts on the kickstarter were pretty hillarious, people asking if Day Z or CoD was going to get ported

It was made too early

The only reason it failed was because you can just buy a chink bluetooth joystick for your phone instead

It was pretty awesome, I'd still use mine if it had better hardware. If they ever make a re-release it's a day 1 buy.

> How many ports do you want?
> yes

you can get a used psp go and put cfw fairly easily.

Not the same thing obviously, but very similar form factor and has tons of games.

I still have mine, but it doesn't work anymore because the flex cable which connects the screen to the main board has broken. All I can see is static colored noise on the screen now. It's shit and absolutely unusable as a phone. If you fill its internal memory (400MB, half of which is used by the OS) by more than 70% it lags even when receiving calls. This one time the phone tried to ring up on a call it was getting. The RGB LED started going crazy. It didn't manage to ring and just froze with the screen off. I couldn't answer the call. I had to take the battery out in order to restart it and then call my friend who was calling me. Shit like this happened constantly with the Xperia PLAY. It's a brick. Even at launch its hardware was just way too weak. Single core processor waa a joke for a gaming device, even at that time. GPU wasn't that great either. Most native Android games did not run smoothly, even 2D ones.

The only place where this device really shines is with emulators. It is a decent device if you like to play any emulated games, be it PS1, GBA and other low resource gaming emulators. They all run at decent FPS and you can take full advantage of the Xperia PLAY joystick buttons because of the highly configurable nature of emulator apps.

If you can find one at low price, the Xperia PLAY is definetly still relevant if you want to gift a small child with a decent, portable emulator device. Forget installing anything other than a few emulators in its miniscule internal memory, and you'll definitely need an SD card. Forget using it as a phone. It's pathetic for anything other than running emulators. That's the only thing it's capable of. A custom ROM might help, but do not use Android 4 ROMs, they're just way too heavy for the hardware and will affect gaming performance. That's the reason why Sony Ericsson aborted the Android 4 update: the hardware can't handle it.

Attached: compare-xperia-play-iphone4.jpg (500x228, 44K)

So question, are there any controllers available that plug directly into the phone? Instead of having to download an app and be at the mercy of latency issues.

>all these "gaming" phones coming out by ROG, Razer and all that
>still no physical controls
>just a regular phone with RGB and "gamer" tumors sticking out

Loved it. At least for emulators. Hardware was shit as soon as it hit. But it was a great idea. Wish Sony would try again.

Android is amazing for emulation. you sir are retarded.

>muh emulation
psp and vita does it better

cause dolphin works on the vita

yeah tell me how great dolphin was on the xperia play, the theme of this thread

Get it from aliexpress
>pic related was never released
Why even live

Attached: ps_vita_dev_kit.jpg (600x800, 99K)

I have a vita.

That I do not know. I have a buddy with the setup and he seems to like it.

Yes. Literally every Bluetooth controller works natively on Android. These have latency so low that you can't notice it. So, don't even reply saying you can because that's a lie.

this was better

Attached: s-l1000.jpg (1000x1000, 102K)

>psp and vita do it better
I have a vita and it does not emulate better than android, not even close lol
The only thing it "emulates" better, is psp and pax, and that's only because it literally has a psp cpu inside
Vita can't emumate ds for shit
Gba emulation in vita is far worse than android, there are a lot of audio issues
N64 emulation is better in psp than natively in vita
Vitas are convenient because of the analog controls, but performance is much better on android