/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600 - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>AAA or multiplatform games: Radeon card appropriate for your montior
>PC centric or VR games: Nvidia card appropriate for your display
>Used RX 570s can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p 16:9
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: igp_perf_rel_1080.png (500x410, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/p/37B-002M-00001
pcpartpicker.com/list/KpLrJ8
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZzdnsZ
youtube.com/watch?v=dmKOa4dtGSo
youtube.com/watch?v=Nvolh-sVqa4
amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-ROCKET-1TB/dp/B07LGF54XR
amazon.com/Intel-660p-1-0TB-80mm-978350/dp/B07GCL6BR4/
windowsreport.com/command-and-conquer-generals-windows-10/
amazon.com/Logitech-Powerplay-Wireless-Charging-Lightspeed/dp/B071WZ56G9
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: 1566495600672.png (1311x746, 408K)

make a windows 7 compatible build with gpu

It doesn't really matter which brand you get one from, since it's just a chunk of aluminum and a thermal pad, but the ones by Corn Electronics seem to be the highest rated.

newegg.com/p/37B-002M-00001

Now you just need a fancy Chromax cap for the top there.

It's even funnier when there's an Asrock B350 is at the top.

Reminder that 4400G will kill the concept of low end graphics cards
Zen 2+ Navi + 4 gigs of allocated ram = 1650

>dude just wait

Should I buy a sapphire 5700xt? I'm tired of waiting for red devils to be available

If you don't want to play old games, sure.

>vega would kill pascal
>7nm would kill turing

do cases come with drive mounting screws or do the screws come with the drives? I I yoinked a 2.5 inch hdd out of an old laptop that I want to use as a secondary drive in my first build but I have no screws to mount it with

>wait for aib
>wait for 3950X
>wait for x590
>wait for big navi
>wait for threadripper
>wait for 10nm
>wait for 240hz ips
>wait for nvidia 3000
>wait for zen 3
>wait for intel gpu
>wait for pci5
>wait for zen 4

Attached: 1513279415640.png (967x954, 534K)

Who cares about old games
IT'S ALL ABOUT FORTNITE BABYYYYYY

Attached: 60459abf3c7fe76806a39aedbe29c52848410089v2_hq.jpg (750x782, 51K)

What's with all this Powercolor wankery? Sapphire has always been the far superior brand. Why would you expect the Red Devil to be any better than Nitro?

redpill me on this thing,it's 240 euros right now while the 1660 ti that I originally wanted is 290 and I'm tempted
does it crash all the damn time cause lolamd drivers?
does it run real hot?
are the fans insanely loud?
does it work on a 500 w psu?

Attached: vega56.jpg (800x800, 49K)

not him but probably because powercolor hit the market while sapphire is still unknown eta

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Its about 15% better than the 1660ti however that gap may have been significantly lowered as a result of nvidias new drivers (436.02), se have to hope for new benchmarks
It runs hot and has shitty power draw if you dont undervolt it, even then it still draws more power than it really should
I wouldnt risk it with a 500w psu, still a good card though

well god damn,a good psu that's at least 650w is at least 100,though if I get one I'll be spending 150 to be sure,either way that's more than the 60 euro gap in prices between the vega and the 1660 ti
gonna wait a few days for some benchmarks to appear and then I'll decide

>air boost
VRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM

>wait to die
I WANT IT NOW

pulse is best card. difference is 2 fps 3dBa and 3'C
asus made expensive monster with zero benefits
MSI and XFX saved money on thermal pads and fucked up vrm and vram cooling

My Pulse comes Sunday.

pcpartpicker.com/list/KpLrJ8

I will be buying from Microcenter also, so even cheap CPU+MOBO, and maybe other bits. And debating going used GPU.

Is there an SSD guide?

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZzdnsZ

Can I get some feedback on this build, The CPU cooler is meant to be a Dark Rock 4 pro but for whatever reason it wont display. The gtx 980 is what I currently have and I'll probably keep using until Nvida 3xxx or AMD whatever comes out.
The build is mainly for gaming but i do light CAD/music production on the side.

most benchmark uploading youtubers don't have enough braincells to think of uploading 1660 ti with new drivers and vega 56 comparisons
the best you can do is look at comparisons between the old and new drivers and the old vs vega 56
youtube.com/watch?v=dmKOa4dtGSo (not 1660 ti, just the new drivers in general)
youtube.com/watch?v=Nvolh-sVqa4 (1660 ti specific)
these are just what I found in youtube, you may be able to find more specific stuff in articles
the frame increase seems to be either really significant or barely noticable

well shit,I'd go for the vega but I don't know if my 500w psu can handle,also it being supposedly noisy as hell are another thing that's making me think twice about it

>Is there an SSD guide?
Not really. MX500 has been the go to value option. Not all SSDs are created equal

For that mobo price you should be getting X570. Are you sure the BIOS on that 470 is updated, or do you have a way to flash?

Opinions?
Going to upgrade as soon as Red Devil appears in my country.
>16GB ought to be enough for anybody

Attached: PCP.png (1920x1200, 310K)

you will be CPU bottlenecked here

>MX500 has been the go to value option
this isn't true anymore, you can get better performing m.2 nvme drives for the same price

Glad to see my Gaming Edge at the top. On the other hand, I'm afraid that one day it will eventually meltdown.

Memory leak or bloat?

Browser tabs.

you should really consider a better mobo and processor if you're buying nice parts elsewhere, mobo and cpu are the hardest parts to upgrade later whereas upgrading a gpu is easy on any build

that aussie faggot had a defective board maybe? his patreon servant didn't get temps anywhere near as hot. running with the side panel off wouldn't help unless the airflow was already dogshit.

I don't think 1080p60 games would be CPU bottlenecked any time soon, and for other tasks my current CPU is enough.

Both
>Two instances of old firefox for a total of 100+ tabs
>BiglyBT(Vuze(Azureus(Java))) with 1000+ torrents
>Freshly unoptimized chinkshit aaa vidya on another display

dude games are already getting really cpu bottlenecked. it's one of the biggest bottlenecks because you can't easily reduce it by lowering graphics settings. at least consider a zen 2 build, it's really quite a performance improvement.

Not for cheaper, but you can get a lot more theoretical performance for not much more money. For gaming NVMe is mostly irrelevant though

I thought my GPU died again so I was finally about to replace my 8 year old rig, but it turns out it was just a stick of bad ram.
Maybe I can wait for next year's GPU refresh and hope prices come down slightly.

>Not for cheaper, but you can get a lot more theoretical performance for not much more money.
for the same price you can get more performance, the sata mx500 isn't a good buy anymore unless you don't have a m.2 slot. there's tons of new nvme drives at that same price point.

I'm starting to lose my interest in the 5700 XT AIB. But at least this gives me time to think. Besides the fact its constantly being sold out and this launch was absolutely catastrophic. The constant complaints I'm hearing about the GPU is alarming.

>Turn this, this and that and this off and it should work!

What the fuck is this shit. I'm starting to get second thoughts. I had my i5 sandy bridge 2500k since 2011, and its still going strong along with all my intel,Nvidia. components. Now years later I want to upgrade and all this bullshit is happening. I never had to worry about driver BSOD and all this other stuff with my PC for all these years. But if AMD drivers are really that bad, not to mention the hilerious lack of motherboards and GPUS aviable, then I might as well stick with Nvidia.

Attached: 1562184246470.jpg (594x393, 34K)

looking for the best GPU around $400. are people still reporting 5700 XT driver issues from last month? how likely would it shit the bed right out of the box?

>The constant complaints I'm hearing about the GPU is alarming.
it's always like that around launches. I've been around long enough to see it so many times. tons of new gpus are going into peoples hands that you have a lot of user error. it's really not a big deal. you can look at past reviews of any motherboard and find tons of people complaining that various things didn't work, and a lot of the time it's because they messed something up themselves.
>Besides the fact its constantly being sold out and this launch was absolutely catastrophic.
keep in mind it's sold out because people want it so much. they could have had better inventory by delaying the launch, but from a consumer point of view it's better to release early since you can just simulate a later launch by waiting yourself.

Do nvme drives disable sata ports? I still have a 2.5 inch 500gb HDD that I wanna use as a secondary drive.

The MX500 1TB is 107USD right now. What's a better drive for cheaper?

Look up the bathtub curve as it relates to actual hardware failure. Regarding drivers, drivers will only get better with time. Green our Red team depends on the kind of games you're playing, add stated in the OP

No,they disable PCIe lanes

You're actually correct. Guess I'm just aggravated at reading some of these posts and the handling of this launch. I want the Card, and I don't mind waiting but its still annoying all the same. I think whats really getting to me is most of the complaints I've read about were from people in India and Australia, bitching about cost and problems that is not the fault of AMD but themselves (like incorrect installation).

If it was possible to filter out people that aren't from your country I wouldn't be so annoyed I think. I really don't give a shit if some guy in India can't get the card. I want to know whats going on nearby and if any retailers have them in stock. Guess I just needed to Vent. Rep said on Reddit that the stock should be coming in late next week so we'll see how that goes.

Attached: 1548696103678.png (526x575, 659K)

>Do nvme drives disable sata ports?
sometimes yeah. not always. you have to look at your motherboard to find out exactly how it will work. sometimes they don't disable anything, sometimes there are 1-2, sometimes 3 or 4 sata slots that are up for grabs that will get shut off when you plug in a nvme drive. there will always be some sata ports that stay on. you should also check what runs on chipset and what runs on cpu, and how it will interact with your current pcie config. but you probably don't need to worry about any of that.

amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-ROCKET-1TB/dp/B07LGF54XR
it's $3 more but I would say it's reasonable to call them the same price

the 660p is cheaper, but not as fast
amazon.com/Intel-660p-1-0TB-80mm-978350/dp/B07GCL6BR4/

reminder amd gpus have abysmal old game support because their drivers are shit.

Attached: sacrifice on vega2.jpg (4728x2992, 2.14M)

*not as fast as the sabrent, I mean. it's still much faster than sata ssds.

look here, if you care about playing old games I really suggest you avoid it.
If you play only the newest and latest, then you should be fine.

has anybody overclocked nvidia cards on linux? how easy was it and how did it go?

call me when you make BGE run at 144fps

Are you the user who suggested to me to benchmark Kotor and Witcher1 and see if C&C will run on an amd system?

>BGE
What is that?

How old? The only game I'm going to play recent is Cyberpunk.
Most of the games I play are still updated(Warframe/NMS) and classics like Dawn of War or Sims 2-3 (Not touching Sims 4)

he is here everyday, at least we know CnC doesn't run, hard to say why though

beyond good and evil

>classics like Dawn of War
n-no... it's still new to me....... I could have sworn it only came out yesterday.....

come on, it's been a while even by boomer standards

yes
there was other games I mentioned as well, but yes.

Well that depends really, look at the list of games

Kotor 1, no framebuffer effects(stealth being trasnparent, lot of visual effects) and soft shadows can't be used otherwise game crashes and there is no other fix for it.

Witcher 1 has constant fps dips and unstable framerate, talking about a vega that's twice are powerful as a nvidia card, yet the nvidia card provides stable framerate and even higher fps.

Quantum break, underutilization with vega card, leading to constant dips in fps and lower over all performance.
Talking about a 2060 having stable 60fps while a vega 64 was struggling to get stable 40fps.
Same shit with Vampyr, where the game would stutter consistently when moving around the city. While a lower power nvida GPU didn't have such issues and produced stable frametimes with no stutters.

Games like Generals and Generals Zero hour, literally don't work.

And before you start with shit.
Using the same system but with clean driver instal and nvidia card, none of the issues are present.
Yes, I have tried both win 10 and win 7.
No problems on the nvidia card, and consistent issues with older games like mentioned above with amd card.

This +Sacrifice is my current list of issues I personally have run into with AMD.
Quntum break isn' t that old, Vampyr is also relatively recent.

>beyond good and evil
Oh, haven't tried it as I completed it long ago and didn't feel it's a game that you replay yearly.
Though I guess I will download it and bechmark it on the nvidia gpu.

yea, and it looks like I replay all the games that have minor issues with nvidia
bge
dead space
nolf2

What kind of issues user, give more details, people should know this shit before they make a purchase decision.

Well I don't play any of those games. Except Vampyr, which kinda sucks to hear actually. Well thanks for the heads up, Ill have to do research into the titles I own. I don't hardcore game fortunately and alot the games I spend time on aren't too extensive until Cyberpunk comes out.

If I want to play games for long periods of time I just play on my Switch. PC+Switch is a good combo.

Attached: a3035d3c87f54e5687cbcde282c4a7a9608d5069177766382fd0e3b5f1e2e321.jpg (460x276, 17K)

mostly stutter, it's fixed with going 60hz - thus minor issues

but it was only yesterday, I still remember getting it in the mail, I promise you it was just last week I ordered it

Attached: 260DF04055E46F0136.jpg (550x366, 28K)

>Well I don't play any of those games. Except Vampyr, which kinda sucks to hear actually.
Yeah the big problem is that you don't know which games have issues or don't until you try them yourself.
Not going to pretend that every single game has issues with AMD and no games have issues with Nvidia.
But holy shit, almost everything I wanted to play had some kind of issues and getting a vega 56 was a big fucking mistake for me.

the sacrifice stutter shit you see here was not fixed by going 60hz or even 30hz sadly
So while your problem is not ideal, at least it's something you can work with.

I had the same problem with QB, except I was running an FX6350 and RX 470 at the time, so I wasn't sure whether the CPU or graphics card was at fault

I played Vampyr around the time it came out (can't remember whether I had the FX or my 2600 at the time, probably FX) and had no trouble

windowsreport.com/command-and-conquer-generals-windows-10/
just curious did you jump through all these hoops?

Well Its good you actually mention these issues instead of shilling the card like I see everywhere else. I remember having zero problems running GTA:SA on my 1050ti. Granted its old but it worked like the dream. I still would like to play these old games of course.

Worse comes to worse, since this is my second PC, I'll just keep my first one and keep my retro gaming on that. when parts start to die off, I'll buy new ones which no doubt will be extremely cheap.

Hopefully it won't end up like my G9x mouse. That was literally the best Mouse I ever used and I wanted to get another one but its listed $600. Now I'm stuck with a wireless $30 from walmart still I sort this shit out.

played vampyr with vega 56 and it stuttered a lot when moving in the game world, if you were in a certain area, then it was fine, but as soon as you moved every.....15-20m it would sutter hard.
Same system with 970 nvidia and the over all performance was lower, but it completely lacked those stutters.

the only thing that worked was going back to much older drivers.
17.11.1 was the thing I used and that let the game launch and not crash instantly.

>Well Its good you actually mention these issues instead of shilling the card like I see everywhere else.
Yeah well, I didn't expect these issues after getting shilled so hard by "the new drivers are fine" and "muh fine wine". I really expected better, but got fucked at least in half the games I play or want to play.
You can imagine that getting bamboozled like that causes enough resentment to record some data and then warn others.

>Granted its old but it worked like the dream. I still would like to play these old games of course.
Yeah the big thing about PC gaming is that you get to play old classics and usually with better performance and visuals years latter.

I had stutter with 1070, game is weird with that I think it's motion blur implementation just like in TWE2.

>Hopefully it won't end up like my G9x mouse. That was literally the best Mouse I ever used and I wanted to get another one but its listed $600. Now I'm stuck with a wireless $30 from walmart still I sort this shit out.
the logitech lightspeed mice are all very good, I use a lightspeed g502 and was absolutely deadset against wireless mice but this one won me over

>17.11.1 was the thing I used and that let the game launch
so you could run it right? I don't get it then, for one game I wouldn't mind installing older driver, finish the game, update back.

how the fuck is your cpu 72c I get that only during full thermally abusive load on my 3900x that pulls 142w

I am dubious if your cpu/mobo will support 3600mhz ram.

>OCUK finally getting stock for the 5700xt aibs
>so they jack up the price again
I'm really starting to shift towards a 2070 super now.

With the older drivers it would launch, the frame rate was still stuttery. Talking about not being able to maintain 30 fps smoothly.

The funny thing is, I'm not really into modern gaming. I'm not even into games like I used to be. Msot games nowadays are trash. When I built my first PC, I spent more because I thought I was going to be overclocking and all that stuff. Never did it and spent most of my time playing older games on max settings with no lag. Pretty much spending more on this PC because I enjoy the construction of it, the results and when I do play games they look the best.

Yeah, I heard about that one and been eyeing it. I heard the wireless is actually better than the wired one. I may actually buy it, since I see alot of comparasions between that one and the G9x. What do you think of this?

amazon.com/Logitech-Powerplay-Wireless-Charging-Lightspeed/dp/B071WZ56G9

In general it seems like the higher end AMD products have a lot more issues (Fury, Vega). I think I've been fairly lucky with the 470 because it's so close to console arch. That's the same reason I don't really have a problem with Navi, because new consoles are guaranteed to be Navi. The run up to new consoles might be a bit rough for Navi owners occasionally, but unless you're playing VR games or early access PC games like PUBG in the early days, or Escape From Tarkov, Navi will probably work pretty well on average.

>What do you think of this?
I'm not a fan personally, I'd rather just plug in the usb-c charging cable and use it as a wired mouse temporarily. it's not a big deal at all and the charge lasts a long time. the mousepad is too small for my use and I like having the option for other mousepads, not just the logitech one. I play low sens and need around 1 square meter of mouse area.
I currently just use my mouse directly on my desk, although when I was playing a lot of csgo I did use a mousepad for better accuracy. I think the charging mousepad could be good for some people though, especially if it's the right size for them.

forgot wait for ddr5

>wait for usb-d

> I'd rather just plug in the usb-c charging cable and use it as a wired mouse temporarily.
Same.
I'll probably pick up a wireless g502 then. Its gonna be hard to part with my G9x but I'm glad Logitech is still making good mouses this entire time.

i'm the one who suggested C&C generals zero hours
how is it going ?

It won't start, it gives the directx 8.1 or higer error.

are you on win 7 or win 10?

win 10

How loud is the stock Wraith Prism that comes with the 3700x, and is it good enough to do some light/average overclocking without being annoyingly loud?

Also, it seems like it sucks down air towards the CPU. Will it perform worse if my case is air cooled with two front intake fans and one rear exhaust fan? Seems like more traditional CPU coolers would fit in better with the airflow since the fan is directing air in the same way as the intake/exhaust.

Wraith Prism is fine if you don't overclock. If you do, get another CPU Cooler.

alright
thanks

it's a great cooler and it makes sense to use it at that level. you really shouldn't need a new cooler except 3800+
I'd say consider using it for a bit and seeing if you feel like replacing it. you won't need it for temps, but you may be annoyed by the sound. sound is pretty subjective, and it will depend on your case fans, case, and overall room setup. you will need to spend $30-40+ for a cooler that is much better.

>spend 2k on a overkill gaming pc
I just realized I don't even need pc this powerful
FUCK

Attached: 1468412335796.jpg (1200x675, 121K)

I've seen the 5700 for 325 euro. You only need a 400-500W PSU with that.

I run Vega 56 fine on a 600W PSU, even overclocked, but a PSU that arbitrarily shuts off because it's over 500W for only 30ms, even if it's only 300W draw average over 1000ms, is going to have issues.

The air boost is noisy too, yes. The Red Dragon is th egood cehap model.

There are still a few issues afaik. I still see 19.5.2 as recommended. I'd expect another 2-6 weeks before the Navi driver leaves beta.

>Yeah the big problem is that you don't know which games have issues or don't until you try them yourself.
Yeah, there are old games which won't run on a new Nvidia GPU and Windows 10 either. You probably won't find out until you try it.
It's disingenuous to say someone can play every old game fine as long as they buy Nvidia.

For stock, yeah it's fine.

but now it's future proof and you'll never have to upgrade :)

whats the problem? Enjoy things at a higher fps of better visual settings.
and you can maintain the performance that you like for longer.
Really see no problem user.

based unusually self aware buypig user

>Yeah, there are old games which won't run on a new Nvidia GPU and Windows 10 either.
Impyling you can only use windows 10. You should consider win 7 as well.
>You probably won't find out until you try it.
I will find out soon enough I guess, will run the same tests on all the games.
>It's disingenuous to say someone can play every old game fine as long as they buy Nvidia.
If you read my post, youd see I said, that not every game is broken on AMD and not all games work on nvidia.
It's just i my personal experience the amount of issues I have with AMD are very skewed, to the point where I virttually have no problems with Nvidia and have a lot of problems with AMD.

I don't play anything beyond 2014 games
battlefield 4 and killing floor 2 are the most recent games I play
literally wasted all my money on this garbage
at least it looks nice

Attached: 1499052995767.jpg (288x325, 32K)

based