Free software is only free if your time is worthless

Free software is only free if your time is worthless.

Attached: erFB1ehXO9-12.png (300x250, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e9dZQelULDk
microsoft.com/en-us/useterms
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

BASED

>Time woths a lot
>Posts in Jow Forums
Get out and glow somewhere else

Attached: rWTCLX6BllhHHEIs.jpg (1720x1290, 570K)

Aliens can see your glowing ass from andromeda. Go fuck yourself cop

>putting an economic value on your own free time
imagine swallowing the rat race kool-aid to THIS extent

lol, this
nobody that doesn't have time to spare post here in the first place

I just use whatever is best for the job. If that's free software, then great. If it's proprietary software, then also great. I only care about if it's going to get the task done, and how well it gets it done. You are right that obsessing over "free" software is a waste of time. But lots of free software is very good, like Linux and lots of GNU tools.

Imagine being so pathetic that you sperg out at superior software just because a company made it.

Attached: consider the following.jpg (569x428, 25K)

Imagine being so dumb that you misunderstand as making any comment about proprietary software at all

Not after people improved the best distro and the GUIs. Making good guides helps until that happens.

What's up with this "if your time is worthless" reddit tier logic you fucks use? Been seeing it thrown around quite a few times as of late, is it a new epic quote to own the libs?

Imagine being so dumb and pathetic that you try and justify your failure in the rat race.

Using Mac is only better if you are a fruity cake who cares about appearance and social status.

Attached: 1566398532662.png (1992x1992, 1.07M)

> not knowing or caring about how massive companies make billions selling your data to serve you ads and spy on you because muh photoshop and muh google drive

it's all well and good to use the right tool for the task but not if said tool rapes your freedom and right to privacy while selling you out in the process

nice projection, neet. its entirely possible to be forced to participate in the race while complaining about it. im sure you'd understand if you worked a day in your life.

Time = precious: check.
You forgot to mention your video games.

Sure kid.
Windows: Waiting for hours for updates to complete and having an unusable computer for 5 minutes after a cold boot.

Correct, which is why it's free as in freedom, not free as in price.

>right to privacy
and? there is no guarantee of privacy and privacy is arbitrary

Objectively true. You only apply your right to modify and audit if you don't have a job and family to spend your energy on.

Agree. No one in the history of the world has ever had to modify and audit a program for work.

I can imagine a handful of people did in the 80s but nowadays just hire an auditing company. I don't trust myself or dumb randos.

Agree. And since we've already established that humans don't have a need to audit software, the auditing company will have to be staffed by robots.

It virtually is, a lot of it is automated. It's getting the specifications of different algorithms and class relationships down and concrete. Don't know how software freedom helps here, codebase I'm working on is closed source and the auditing companies work under NDAs.

I already told you I agree with you. Those auditing companies should absolutely not be allowed to tell customers when there is a problem with the software and under no circumstances should they attempt to fix it themselves when your company refuses to. We will fortunately have no problem with that since the companies are all automated and staffed by robots who can never quit or defect or disobey orders or violate NDAs or anything.

youtube.com/watch?v=e9dZQelULDk

>tell their customers
Customers have one single purpose and that's cash money transactions. And they can't do that under too much stress and FUD.
>fix it themselves
Whoa hey I'm the programmer here. I am the software engineer. They are the cute ltitle LARPers with "red team yaaaaay blue team arghhh" managers use as scapegoats.
>defects
There are laws and laws are obeyed. Else windows code would have leaked already which it hasn't. Or other popular apps.

I agree, that's why I follow the laws which make me money and pressure everyone else to follow them too, and I ignore the laws that don't. Your company should be very familiar with this practice.

If a consumer has a problem, they can switch to a different product. By chance, by pure cosmic coincidence, it happens that most other alternatives are the same, some are malicious/scams, and the rest are shitty "free" ripoffs with 0 support.

> arbitrary
Oh yeah the GDPR is very arbitrary. The 5 billion dollar suit against facebook is also arbitrary
how fucking retarded are you?

Attached: Clorox.drink.up1.gif (498x382, 158K)

This applies to Windows 10 for most people, as it is buggy garbage that is somehow worse than the majority of Windows releases before it.

How does that impact me in a negative way? It doesn't. It puts me in the middle of the bell curve so I mix in with other normal people. Meanwhile all you retards are uniquely fingerprinted and in the FEMA list.

Why are you bringing this up? I already told you I agree with you. No one should ever try to audit or fix anything. The solution to things being broken has always been switch to a different product. Even if it means literally throwing out millions of dollars worth of computers. It's obviously the customer's fault for not knowing they were malicious and scams.

I need to do some much bullshit gutting to make Windows 10 usable that I might as well install one of the easier Linux distros desu.

It clearly states everything in the EULA that the consumer agrees to. Yes, the consumer accepts CPUs with potentially intangential security extras, or cloud services which, for everyone's surprise, do indeed scan your files for viruses (you do send encrypted files, right?).
If the consumer wants to feel empowered, they can certainly contribute to recreational projects and apply their first-amendment rights. However, the most popular open source licenses waiver any responsibility or warranty over the codebase itself, which is highly irresponsible.

i use open sauce software

I agree that's a problem which is why those open source projects should start offering warranties for free. And they should continue to host themselves on cloud services like Github. Ignore that Github makes money by selling separate services, that doesn't matter because all the projects are for recreational purposes.

Of course. Open source projects simply don't get audited. Linux isn't audited. Neither is specifically systemd, which is why people rightfully protest its use. Popular browsers aren't audited, pale moon as well.
The other option is to light a fire under developers' butts and make them put their money where their mouth is. If I get a javascript virus via surf, I expect amazon gift cards. Or something similar. Equifax was ruined not because they leaked personal information, but because they are legally required not to and agreed contractually not to do it.

Linux and systemd should not be allowed to be audited. That would very clearly go against software freedom which requires the license to ban audits. Haven't you read them?

>yes officer of course you can search my butthole, am I bending enough?
grow a fucking spine and stand up for what you believe in if you actually think it's a problem and if not, mind posting your facebook password here? I'm sure some anons would have some fun with it and it won't impact you in a negative way, right?

I have not met a single line of text in any gpl license which prohibits the analysis of code. Can you point me to it?
Nooo why would I post my facebook password online? It is, however, stored in RAM currently as I am logged in and chatting. You still have time to inject your spectredown zombiemelt exploits and intel management engine vulnerabilities to grab them, just like facebook is right now. Hurry up friend.

Sure you can read the license here: microsoft.com/en-us/useterms
I don't know what the GPL is but I'll assume it's not relevant because no one uses that software anyway. All important software is covered under microsoft licenses.

Governments, megacorps, and police departments put their trust in microsoft products, so do I. The former also require the code be delivered and audited as well by agents. Unless they're running heavily modified and completely different versions of Windows, I can achieve the same results with privacy apps.

Sounds more like Windows.

trying to use linux as a main desktop OS? sure (though this is simply a problem of association), but for a server (such as a simple NAS) or a basic HTPC the free software options provide a better experience than proprietary offerings.

you missed the point entirely...
> exploits, like facebook right now
no need for them to do this since your entire life is chronologically documented therr including DMs. Most if not all proprietary software do this (to a lesser extent, granted) and your wimpy ass attitude of (((blend in))) is part of the fucking problem

They can do dick without breaking the law. I care about libel/slander, bank info, lawyer convos, etc. Which are still not infringed or I'd have sued.

>implying huge corps never break laws
these motherfuckers have and will continue data mining you and pay a fine when/if they get caught because it's still profitable while you sit in your office making pennies and having no control over your computing.
If you're going to bash on free software and shill proprietary crap just because muh convenience you better come up with better arguments