What's the pros & cons of cat7 over cat6a ?

What's the pros & cons of cat7 over cat6a ?

Attached: F8427346-01.jpg (444x367, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_11801
edn.com/electronics-blogs/absolute-eda/4441982/PAM---Ethernet--A-perfect-match
atel-electronics.eu/produkt.php?hash=07183
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Mostly more shielding / more signal bandwidth on the physical level.

That said nothing really needs Cat7 at this point vs Cat6A and the cables are generally stiffer (so going around a corner is more annoying, you might almost pretend they're like a lot of optical cables although they generally survive squishing that radius a bit better).

pro: crossover let's you eavesdrop on other people

(cont'd)
BTW you'll probably also have trouble with actually using "real" Cat7 connectors.

Most likely you'll still want to have the connectors Cat6A because frankly unlike the cable, the networking equipment that does real Cat7 is too expensive.

So really, pretend it's generally just better shielded Cat6A. Maybe mildly interesting for laying some cable near AC power or whatever with a somewhat better chance to not have to replace them later on, but not a must-have. If it's troublesome in some place, probably just stick with or extend with 6A.

CAT 7
>Rated for 600 mhz
>Rated for gigabit speeds at 100m (100 gbit speeds under 50 metters, 40 gbit speeds under 100)
>More expensive
CAT 6a
>Rated for 250 mhz
>Rated for gigabit speed under 100 metters (1gbit under 100 metters)
>Less expensive

Price also depends on sleeving and other factors.

Daily reminder that most cables are just UTP , and wont stand up to scrutany on those parameters unless shielded af from everything.

However any other kind of non UTP cable will always be more expensive, see S/UTP, FTP, STP and SFTP types on google for more information.

Attached: mpv-shot0016.jpg (1920x1080, 375K)

>>Rated for 600 mhz
>>Rated for gigabit speeds
what wizardry is this?

AFAIK the certified Cat7 cables can't actually be unshielded - the twisted pairs MUST be shielded right? I think UTP there meant there isn't another shield around all the already shielded twisted pairs (not 100% what the spec is there though).

Either way, In my somewhat modest practical experience, I never had problem with the signals on a proper (mostly made in Eastern Europe) Cat7 cable.

Are you serious just now or you don't have any idea how network equipment works?
Honestly with distances under 50 metters you should never have a problem with cat 7 unless you're doing over 1 gbit then you might notice some problems or slowdowns with utp...but yeah utp is always unshielded no matter what the standard says.

Attached: mpv-shot0024.jpg (1920x1080, 325K)

Allowed frequency spectrum.

It's not transmitting 1 bit per herz per second, no.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_11801

> no matter what the standard says
I was assuming my certified standard compliant cables actually happened to comply with the standard.

I didn't actually see a difference in my installation between the stiffer externally shielded and just the pairwise shielded Cat7, both are "perfect". There were no signs of any trouble even along shitty old AC power where problems definitely happened on unshielded 5e crap cables, so I suspect the shielding on the "just around the twisted pairs" is already very substantial anyhow.

And the shielding on shielded Cat7 extreme, I can't actually imagine how you'd unintentionally cause problems there.

Wtf I still got cat5 lying on my floor and feels like just yesterday when I was wondering that what the fuck is supposed to be different with cat5 and cat6

>you don't have any idea how network equipment works?
oh fuck yeah i forgot, i totally understand this very niche subject and totally didnt just honestly ask for an explaination yeah thats all wrong haha

Cat5e is still okay in most instances.

Sure, we got far better cables, but not much networking equipment to use them and you don't even necessarily will find it easy to decide on connectors for Cat6,7,8.

>1 gbit
>cat 7
Wait, wasn't fucking Cat5e already good enough for 1Gbps?

Short answer: nothing, they both push 10gbit ethernet over a distance of 100m.

Long answer: the Cat6a (class Ea) cable uses very tight and precise twists to protect from EMI. this limits he cable hevily, having a much higher minimum bend radius and overall a pain in the ass to work with. It's also a bit harder to terminate to an 8p8c with certified spec. But above all, it is very hard for chinks to manufacture to spec, so it is NOT cheap and if you buy a cheap box you will get shit that doesnt meet spec AT ALL.

Enter Cat7 (class F), each of the four individual pairs are shielded by spec. If they are not shielded in your cable, IT IS NOT CAT7.
This shielding is effective against EMI and allows the tolerances on the twists to be lower and easier to manufacture. But the additional step of shielding each pair increases manufacturing costs and equipment even more, so it is also very expensive cable. Again, if you find a cheap box, it is not CAT7. it is garbage. if each pair is not shielded, it isnt cat7.

Also cat7 is depreciated, and cat7a (class Fa) is the latest cable. I'm not sure of what new manufacturing process they are using on this cable for such a big jump, but it supports 1000mhz and is hoping to push 40gbit at a reasonable distance through standart 8p8c

yes

>he doesn't use Cat8

Attached: 1560102667609.jpg (385x325, 58K)

Cat8 is already released, officially supports 40Gbit/s

No,despite what most idiots say, cat5e can get speeds close to gigabit but you can never get a full duplex 1 gigabit speeds on it.

Here go read then, it explains how signal modulation works in ethernet cables.
edn.com/electronics-blogs/absolute-eda/4441982/PAM---Ethernet--A-perfect-match

Attached: mpv-shot0022.jpg (1920x1080, 300K)

Has it? last I read it was still under development.
also I forgot to mention that anything past cat6a/500mhz, you can no longer use RJ45, and must use GG45. You can still use RJ45 fo you want to be a dipshit or for very short runs, and I have, but it will crosstalk and can cause problems.

>gg45

Where the fuck am I supposed to get these?
Or are sellers just selling them under the moniker or rj45?

Ash sure does look different now...

Attached: 220px-AshXYanime.png (220x342, 65K)

Ash could and Sido chesto man could probably duke it desu.

Attached: mpv-shot0015.jpg (1920x1080, 353K)

Pros:
You can tell your friends
Hey I use cat 7 yeah just spent a 1000 wiring up my house with cat 7. Only the latest fad for me, all you nobodies with cat 6 can wax my big steaming bollocks.

Cons:
It's just a fucking con. There is nothing wrong with using cat 6
the major difference between cat 6 and cat 7 is just how far you can pirouette up your own arse with cat 7
The only real difference is that the cable industry standards people have realised theres a market for suckers who want to spend a fortune wiring up houses and whole appartment blocks with cabling so they bring out a new standard every 10 days. Next year it will be cat 19 which is made of solid gold wrapped in titanium and sold with torturusly tedious twat in the box that pops up and tells you all about the details of the cable down to the last detail and how great it is

Pro tip stop listening to bullshit sales talk and just buy what you can afford and what makes sense. To be honest, anything above cat 5 is a fucking stupid waste of money

You do not need GG45, or cat7/7a/8.1/8.2 or any of this autism.

If you REALLY need 40gbps, then do a 4 way team with 4x cat6A.
Or if your runs are at or under 10m, use direkt attach copper QSFP+ which is good for 40gbps and is reasonably cheap.

But honestly, if you NEED to push 40gbps across a network link in 2019, you are probably doing it wrong and will have bottlenecks at every point that isnt the cable.

Attached: BijQcEECYAE8N2B.jpg (480x360, 12K)

>mpv-shot.jpg
based af

I mean if I really want to break the 1 gigabit barrier I always go optical but what I'm specifically asking is where would you get these things.

the internet?
atel-electronics.eu/produkt.php?hash=07183

>1.24€ a piece

Are you fucking shitting me?
At this price It's a 100 times cheaper to put in a backbone of fiber.

d-dont look at the end devices supporting GG45.
Also, it probably is unless you have a specific use case that requires a LOT of cable runs.
You can get qsfp+ 10m fiber for about $100 or qsfp+ DAC for about $200, but again, a qsfp+ nic is retarder expensive, and so is a switch with more than 4 holes.
Again comes to buying 4 port 10gbps normal ass rj45 NICs, and a 48 port 10gb switch

In the future
local network traffic will be directed by a network node wired to a dolphins brain
every home will have their own dolphin that transmits signals with the power of synaptic fibre firing of its neural interface
I am already experimenting with this and have a couple of squirrels that act as routers

I'm mostly trying to figure out the standard for this just in case someone stupid enough asks me to make a network around it.

I already employ a basic fiber installation method that is cheaper then that.

oh, then yeah, first, see:
second, google around the stuff.

>cat5e can get speeds close to gigabit but you can never get a full duplex 1 gigabit speeds on it
I suppose so, though Cat5e has served me well in home scenarios and seems to hit 1Gbps. To be fair, I don't think I've often dealt with 1Gbps traffic going both ways to see how the cable performs in a full-duplex scenario, plus all my cable runs are quite short so that certainly must help anyway.

Yeah you're really not getting 1 gig speeds on full duplex... you can get 1 gigbit speed total that's true but never full duplex and never over 50 meters.

You want top end? You pay top end.

>never over 50 meters
Yeah, I'm not getting anywhere near 50m with the runs I actually use for anything approaching 1Gbps, more like 5m at most.

more cats
who doesn't want more cats?

Attached: 1559826262864.png (1123x391, 686K)

What about using fiber instead?

fiber is a meme

Fiber scales better.

CABLE THREAD EVERYONE CABLE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached: CkHK1eFXAAEEgGt.jpg (1200x900, 367K)

Cat 7 isn't a TIA standard, I doubt 7a or 8 are either.

correct. but fuck them. ISO is all that matters.

all installations at our town look like that

Attached: 1565383925114.png (343x405, 94K)

Fuck off my board

:^)

>cat5e can get speeds close to gigabit but you can never get a full duplex 1 gigabit speeds on it.
1000BASE-T outright specifies 1 niggabit full duplex and Cat5e is rated as capable for that. How does it magically not work?

>he doesn't know

if you are building a new house or network you should just run cat 7 or cat 8

Please do tell me of this magical almost-GbE-but-not-really mode that doesn't seem to exist in any standard literature whatsoever but apparently automatically manifests itself in Cat5e cabling but not anywhere else. In my experience, it's either full duplex or it isn't GbE, kind of like how the standard implies in the first place.

You could run Cat7 if the corners aren't a problem.

But at some level you might almost as well run optical cables as Cat8.

Actually it's really more likely that you have a fiber optical 1 or 10gbit symmetrical connection to your home (we're at about 1/2 of households here) than anything Cat8.

ran out of google subscription nigger?

Companies want to sell shit so they push out the standard printed so it sells.
It doesn't have to completely fill the standard it just needs to deliver the minimum specifications.
Hence if you're running really fucking short connection it supposedly "does fill the spec".

Attached: mpv-shot0025.jpg (1920x1080, 443K)

>metters

cat6 already lost a life

oof

CAT6/CAT7 are STP (Cheap cables go for S/UTP route while more expensive cables go for SFTP route) which allow 10Gbps over 100 meters but the cables aren't as flexible and are more prone to physical damage then CAT6/CAT5e. They are a lot harder to properly terminate.

>when CAT3 was the hot shit
Good times (except not really)

Cat5e supports 1 Gbit
Cat 6 supports 10Gbit under 100 Meters.

>No,despite what most idiots say, cat5e can get speeds close to gigabit but you can never get a full duplex 1 gigabit speeds on it.
You're full of shit and an avatarfag. Fuck off.

Attached: 1276211479729.png (429x410, 11K)

There's a small time youtuber that claims he installed Cat 5e in his walls. On a short run from one end of the room to the other he showed how his Cat 5e supported 10Gbit but would start getting CRC errors if he maxed the connection out. Overall it was still very workable even with a small % of packets needing to be automatically resent.

Attached: 1564953313044.jpg (2333x1143, 567K)