Why do tablets still exist when phones have bigger screens and laptops are lighter than ever...

Why do tablets still exist when phones have bigger screens and laptops are lighter than ever? Are tablets completely obsolete now?

Attached: 417703-ipad-pro-9-7-main.jpg (740x417, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/limboemu/limbo/wiki/Downloads
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Why do tablets still exist when phones have bigger screens
but they dont tho

they were always useless, so they can't be obsolete
check mate, faggots

Portability and drawing. Something the iPads are particularely horrendous at but everyone will circlejerk about them regardless.

Attached: ZomboDroid 15072019180955.jpg (1443x1412, 433K)

Also mango/book readers (ie can display the color black).

Is this accurate? Reviews show the opposite.

>app shill sites that get paid under the table show the opposite
kys pajeet

Very. Basically ALL ipads suffer from severe input lag and lag in general because the screen is not oled/amoled

Attached: 1517866403039.webm (238x360, 2.91M)

I like my Mi Pad 4 3/32 WiFi

I like my iPad. It’s good for shit posting, mobile music production and YouTube.

This isn't a new thing. Tablets have always been an awkward useless middle child.
Theoretically they could replace laptops, but the problem is they will always be forever-gimped by shitty mobile OS/software and lack of proper i/o

The s tabs use OLEDs that's why they're so fast. And you dont need good panel response for drawing. Wacom cintiq have response in the 30s and chinese tablets have responded in the 40s

That's not input lag retard that's stabilization. In person it's as good as the cintiq pros. All digitizers are just grids that a pen steps across. In order to not produce jaggies the drivers need to wait and interpolate the motion the exact same way a line drawing algorithm works. There's not a single digitizer in existence that's so fine grain and precise it doesnt need to do line stabilization not even the current gen cintiq pros which are peak of the current technology. Others like the windows pen protocol pens feel like dogshit in comparison. Hate how you retarded normies with 0 technical knowledge think you have any right to speak on the matter

Tablets are better for watching videos, reading papers and browsing 4channel if you ask me.

But laptops and phones are gradually moving into that "no i/o" meme too. Tablets are just overall worse than everything they try to replace.

He means that phones have bigger screens than they used to, not that phones have bigger screens than tablets. OP fucked up and had syntactic ambiguity in his shit.

True, but even if laptops completely axe all i/o, they still have keyboards/trackpads and run OSes that can actually get work done.

Im just saying that theoretically if tablets had decent i/o and also had productive operating systems instead of operating as bigger snartphones without data plans, they could've made for decent laptop alternatives

enjoy your burn-in

Attached: oled-1543877835432.png (398x530, 91K)

The galaxy tabs can run full linux on dex. iPad OS also looks great

You do, the point is to get as close to real world pen and paper as possible. Without an amoled/oled screen you get 20-40ms of devastating input lag and low FPS displayed (response time = max frame time which is ~40fps on the ipad "pro").

Sounds interesting. That could actually work along with a fold-out case/keyboard combo

You can also do x86 emukation via limboemu (qemu GUI).

github.com/limboemu/limbo/wiki/Downloads

Though we're all patiently waiting for multi-threaded support from QEMU atm.

Tablets still have three or four times the screen area of even the largest phones, I don't know what to say if it's not obvious why that'd be a useful thing. These days they're largely relevant as professional devices, as replacements for printed material or as remote control devices for various software and hardware An example of one of the most prolific applications is as "electronic flight bags," replacing whole suitcases full of paper charts and other navigational tools in airplane cockpits, they've taken the aviation industry by storm and you're hard pressed to find a plane without an iPad mount in it these days.

As a normal consumer they're mostly useful if you want to view stuff that isn't easily formatted to fit on a phone screen, like textbooks, magazines, websites that aren't optimized for mobile, manga/comics, etc.

But itoddlers are also getting oled

For reading mango on the shitter.

post your tablet. this is my baby 4 / 64GB, it's unironically my main computing device. I do everything with this god damn tablet. Pay bills, take photos, manage my finances, play baldur's gate, pretend to be at work by approving Jira tickets from a park bench. android is life.

Attached: 1-lenovo-tab-4-8-plus-tablet-8-inch-aurora-black.jpg (970x470, 56K)

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7". Bought in 2012-2013. Slow as fuck but comfy for youtube and browsing.

Almost waiting for it to die but it's absolutely indestructible and seemingly immortal.

Attached: 81mNVW97cUL._SY450_.jpg (307x450, 22K)

>a forth of a second
>severe
>>

Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2018). The latest and most up to date tablet I could find that still had a headphone jack
>Snapdragon 450
>3GB RAM
>32GB ROM + MicroSD slot
>Big battery
>10.5" 1920x1200 IPS screen
>Dolby Atmos sound quad speakers

$280 well spent.

Attached: samsung-galaxy-tab-a-105-2.jpg (720x553, 60K)

>competitive gamers
>tablet

Attached: santa_wants_out.jpg (400x300, 21K)

yes, a quarter second input lag is both noticeable and infuriating for actual humans, stop being a boomer with snail-tier reaction times

The problem is your pencil keeps up with you irl with exactly 0ms of lag behind it. ANY amount added to this is already detrimental but the iPads make this basically unusable for anyone who takes drawing seriously because the response times are higher than the frame times AND the screen is LITERAlLY unable to actually display the 120 consecutive frames the 120Hz refresh rate it has.

Instead 2 things happen:
1.) Frames are smeared on one after the other making movements blurry as the pixels struggle to keep up with the changes.
2.) Entire frames are literally dropped to keep A/V sync removing pieces of information that should have been there during movement.

This results in where it looks like black sticks are magically appearing behind the pencil. This is VERY detrimental if you want to draw anything more detailed than stick cartoons.

It's not a /v/ thing, it's a "I feel seasick" thing with iPads used for any "pro" stuff.

thought about buying a Galaxy Tab A 10" for manga, but will probably just get a Kobo to save my eyes.

just buy a laptop that becomes a tablet for the rare occasion you would need one.

Attached: 71TCixvQotL._SL1200_[1].jpg (1200x1200, 130K)

Imagine being so genetically defective you cant use any drawing tablet in existence

Tab s4 and judicious use of haxor screen filter at night would do the same
How do you even get mango onto ebook readers besides faffing about transferring it individually from a computer via usb? Life without tachiyomi seems like a bloody chore

Like I said you can use the iTrashpad protard™ but just don't expect to get professional work done @ and expect your work to look mediocre at best on it despite how heavily apple shills their products do (protip: they don't).

Laptops and tablets have always targeted different users you retard. That said, I think it's the laptop that's obsolete.

iPads are trash. iPad vs Samsung Galaxy Tab s5e black_square.jpg

Attached: IMG_20190823_202845.jpg (2024x1518, 440K)

I decided to get the 2018 10.5" version over the 2019 10.1" version because it was cheaper (200€), has a larger battery and the 2019 version was only available with 2GB RAM. So far I don't regret it.

I can tell you've never touched a professional tool in your life retard

>iPad
lol
cope

Attached: IMG_20190823_205459.jpg (2024x1518, 1.02M)

It's quite glorious.

Attached: IMG_20190823_211539.jpg (1753x1203, 745K)

Ironic considering this board does nothing but shill IPS monitors and shits on OLED TVs

>Ironic considering this board does nothing but shill IPS monitors and shits on OLED TVs
Designated shitting board.

You do need good panel response for drawing, but 30ms is plenty good. E-ink on the other hand...

Holy shit. Is this better than running an ARM machine in qemu? How is GPU performance for things like decoding video and gaymes?

Attached: C_Punk.jpg (720x834, 35K)

>Holy shit. Is this better than running an ARM machine in qemu? How is GPU performance for things like decoding video and gaymes?
I'd have to pull up some documentation to be 1000% positive but taking an educated guess based on the CPU on this tablet and what my expectations would be, I'd be surprised if it wasn't running on the metal. At worst it's going through KVM which at most would knock a percent or two off of the performance. Like I said, the display is GPU accelerated with no slowdowns I can detect. It is certainly faster than emulating ARM in qemu. I haven't ran any benchmarks for decoding video and I'm not a gamer, really I'm just a hardcore crypto trader and I use this thing to run a bunch of stuff I wrote in Python but if you have a quick benchmark, I can run I'd be happy to and I'll respond back as soon as it's done.

You guys are like little babies with your brokenARM. Step up to x86 and a real browser/OS

Attached: IMG_20190823_225445.jpg (1518x2024, 1.01M)

can you draw on a tablet?
i mean, for money.

>bigger screen
>many times more batteries
>more power
>can use pen for notes,drawing,etc

I have one and love it, would be cool a keyboard extension to make it a mini android laptop.

i was thinking of getting one for watching youtube videos and shitposting.
theyre pretty cheap.

yes

absolute lack of decent keyboard to attach to android tablets last time i looked, which was a few years ago

Brydge keyboard. Google is your friend

This. I have the Plus/LTE version

tablets are more comfier to handle in bed
still got my samsung

And they got one for a specific model of android tablet, kinda need a universal one dude.

Yep, I agree completely. Isn't there a way to roll your own image? I haven't tried dist-upgrading this but you have su priveliges so you might be able to manually swap everything out if you went full autismo. Once you had something that worked you could share that image. If I get around to it I might give it a shot since it's a pretty neat setup.

Attached: Screenshot_20190824-055729_Linux on DeX Beta.jpg (2560x1600, 743K)

Well I just fucked that response up. Totally meant that for somebody else in a totally different thread. Maybe it's time for bed

Question:

Galaxy Tab 5se or a Tab A 10.1

S5e is 100x better but slightly more expensive. I'd say the s5e is the best Android tablet ever bar none with only the unreleased S6 potentially topping it.

>s5e is not any thinner than s2/3
>s2/3 had the headphone jack
Yeah nah thin a shit give me the chunk that is the s4 with more battery, a jack and no Wi-Fi issues

I have 10" tablet with a stand, it is super OP if you want to browse web in bed, near table, or watch YT, or read PDF, good battery life, having android on it usually means grown ups can use it without much problems without dealing with that winshit autism.

I've tried to read in bed with classical laptop, it was HORRIBLE, tablet is super OP for that, I hope new models still have jack, because I use it regularly.

My model I use to this day is: Lenovo Yoga Tablet 10, excellent for web, YT, reading (incl PDF), very easy to carry. Weight: 600g, Battery: 9000 mAh

Tablets are significantly larger than phones and laptops are just too bulky to be used as anthing other than a laptop.
Nobody who isn't living in an ad is actually going to take a Pixelbook and flip it around to use as in 'tablet mode.' It's just too bulky, in the wrong aspect ratio and there are dead keys on the back.
Tablets are a sweet spot between laptops and phones, and since they're getting a lot more powerful, people are just starting to ditch their laptops entirely in favor of the tablet.
The only laptop I can actually envision people using as a 'tablet' is a Surface Pro, but even then, I've never actually seen anyone touch the screen on one of those things in real life.

Tablets still exist because Apple and Microsoft.
iPad OS is good enough for most things people do, while being more portable than a laptop.
Microsoft actually made Windows 10 useful in both tablet and desktop mode, and many Windows tablets are convert-able in some way.
Android tablets are pathetic.

Attached: IMG_0013.png (2048x1536, 1002K)

B..but I have a webm!

>20-40ms of devastating input lag
how is that devastating? you don't even notice the lag. Also in iOS13 it's reduced to 9ms

Seems like something not only reviews would point out, but all of the fucking users for the past few years since the first pro came out. Apple Pencil is fantastic.

>Apple Pencil is fantastic.
How much did you get paid to write this?

tablets still exist?

rent free

Sorry, but this must be the first generation iPad Pro. I own the current one (without LTE) and there is no delay (at least nothing that is humanly noticeable).
This webm is not representative of that.

the iPad Pro switches to 120Hz for pen input

Literall posting this on an s5e. Wi-fi issues are a meme. I use shit public wifi all the time (like coffee shops) and sit everywhere and have never had a problem. Regarding thinness, it's a combination of things. It's just the right thinness and width where I can very comfortably wrap my hand around it and hold it securely one-handed. It also just fits in the back pocket of my jeans (I am 6' tall and 190 pounds so not huge). There is more to size than just looking at the numbers, hou have to have it in your hand and use it in your life to see how the numbers add up. I've had the Nexus 9, several iPads, the Motorola Xoom, and a few other tablets and I'll just say this one kills the rest in the dimensions department.
Now, about that headphone jack. Unlike the iShit, the dongle is included in the box. Also the speakers are in stereo and fire from the extreme edges giving you a full sense of stereo separation. Don't knock it until you try it.
>Tablets still exist because Apple and Microsoft.
>iPad OS is good enough for most things people do, while being more portable than a laptop.
>Microsoft actually made Windows 10 useful in both tablet and desktop mode, and many Windows tablets are convert-able in some way.
>Android tablets are pathetic.
Spoken like a true shill or somebody who takes his opinions from shills. I have an iPad 2017, a Windows 2-in-1, a ChromeOS HP x2 2-in-1, and a Samsung Galaxy Tab s5e sitting right here and the Android tablet obliterates the others in day to day use, especially the unbelievably gorgeous screen which is what you will be staring at 99% of the time. Think for yourself.

Right which just causes 80 frames per second to get completely dropped. Response time = max frame time. When more frames are requested to be displayed than physically possible the higher refresh rate simple drops them.

This is why it looks like sticks are magically appearing after the iPenis has gone over a part of the screen in

writing this on a Galaxy Tab S4 I got last Christmas. I do a lot of browsing on this thing from the comfort of the couch or bed because it's bigger than my Galaxy Note 9. Having a stylus is sometimes useful as well especially for remote desktop stuff to my NAS or pc.

Great tablet. I own the iPad Air as well and that thing is slow as s*** these days

Attached: 71CZmWraRXL._SL1500_.jpg (1168x1500, 153K)

Very similar background. Had the XOOM, an early iPad and the iPad Air. Nexus 7 then this tab s4. Easily the best tablet I've owned.

Phones are terrible for reading any comics on. And tablets are a godsend for anyone who doesn't use thumbs when playing mobile rhythm games. I follow a bunch of top level index/all finger players and they all use iPads.

even a 7 inch bezelless smartphone is too small for content creation and media consumption and too big to fit properly in your pocket.

> competitive gaming
> iOS
uhhhhhhh...

Say why you will about iShit, but their processors are a cut above the rest. Getting the game on the device is the tricky part, but if you clear that hurdle you have the best device you can get.