After hopping through fedora (worked, but I don't like GNOME3), Manjaro, Solus (both failed to start), Gentoo...

After hopping through fedora (worked, but I don't like GNOME3), Manjaro, Solus (both failed to start), Gentoo, and Arch (had a ton of problems after base install), I finally settled for Linux Mint on my Optimus laptop. Does that make me a low IQ scrub? This is my first bout in Linux.

Attached: 1200px-Linux_Mint_19_%22Tara%22_(Cinnamon).png (1200x750, 459K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lwn.net/Articles/676664/
youtube.com/watch?v=KT2mLi7ldew
spins.fedoraproject.org/
getfedora.org/en/sponsors/
blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, it makes you a reasonable and well adjusted member of the society that doesn't want his system broken every 3 weeks randomly

No, Mint is fine.

if you don't like gnome fedora comes with other desktops too, avoid mint as it has shitty track records
lwn.net/Articles/676664/

>This is my first bout in Linux.
nah that's fine, also you can stick to Mint for now, don't go distro hopping again, if it's not broke don't try to fix it

Nothing wrong with Mint.

These days, it's basically Ubuntu without the botnet/AIDS and gnome.

Attached: A91Ka.png (1214x845, 66K)

That image reminds me of the track "TCR" by the sleaford mods
youtube.com/watch?v=KT2mLi7ldew

I actually enjoy most of these distros, but in the end felt like releases based on others were more unstable than the originals. For example manjaro holds updates a bit which in theory should be good for people who want a "stable" environment but sometimes they miss things that should be updated together and that breaks the system. If you used Arch however, you'd update it all at the same time and that makes everything work together and nothing is dependant on something that is out of date. I also like to suck my own dick and it's not gay if you do it on yourself. Linux mint is based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian so I would be hesitant to use it. However, they're not as autistic about having the LATEST version of everything so maybe it works out in the end.

what was wrong with manjaro?

>If you used Arch however, you'd update it all at the same time and that makes everything work together and nothing is dependant on something that is out of date.
i don't think the package uploading by the maintainers is atomic which means it can happen on arch too

>I also like to suck my own dick and it's not gay if you do it on yourself.
agreed

After I logged in, it would black screen and freeze. Slightly better than Solus, where I couldn't even boot. It might be a problem with the DM since I read on the Arch Wiki that some of them have problems with the proprietary drivers, but I checked for the free drivers on the install.

I don't like Linux Mint very much. For some reason, unlike Ubuntu, it seems to have trouble with drivers.
Also Cinnamon isn't very good in my opinion. In fact, I would even say it's absolute trash. Maybe it had its use before MATE, but honestly, I don't see why anyone would ever want to use it.
>ugly as shit by default with few customization options, only theme that looks passable is Mint's though so I will give it a pass on that
>not very many plugins compared to something like MATE or XFCE
>about as resource heavy as GNOME itself
If you just want a Linux distro to install and never have to worry about again I would just recommend Ubuntu Mate.

Attached: lol face.jpg (880x790, 213K)

Will I have to modify the display manager once I install the proprietary drivers for the Spin or does Fedora do it out the gate?

I agree that Cinnamon is shit but Mint Xfce & MATE are pretty great for those who want Ubuntu but not Canonical.
The just werks(TM) factor is better too.

>fedora (worked, but I don't like GNOME3)
You could have just used dnf to install another DE directly

I'm trying to settle for debian because all this """"bleeding edge"""" software means I've to update everything every 8 hours which is fucking insane. Stuff that just werks doesn't need to werk more.

This is my journey:
- Ubuntu
- Linux Mint (it was shitty and laggy at the time)
- Xubuntu (for 4 years)
- tried to install Arch without success (shitty hardware support)
- Manjaro (1 year)
- Solus (1 year, then it broke due to nvidia drivers and shit)
- Manjaro (again, for 5 months)
- Linux Mint Cinnamon
Mint is super fine now.

Wayland isn't even installed in the other DE spins, so no I guess.
ouroboros

Same experience with Arch and Manjaro here.
But I also used Mint for a while and it's completely fine.

Well I can see your problem there buddy. You completely skipped debian.

>Mint Xfce & MATE
pointless when Xubuntu and Ubuntu MATE exist

Atleast go for a KDE based distro, even is it Noobuntu based or Manjaro. Dont settle for Mint.

Kill me. I was using the Debian version so I tried main version for the proprietary drivers, but that doesn't even boot to the installation menu (not even compatibility mode). Also tried the Fedora Cinnamon Spin, and its stuck in basic graphic mode even after installion. I'll probably never buy Nvidia when it comes to Linux, or at the very least an Optimus laptop.

Xubuntu is shit compared to Mint.

agreed, Cinnamon and Ubuntu LTS is the only reason a professional would choose mint

you can transform xubuntu into mint xfce by enabling flatpak, a few repos and the pretty green themes.

Distro's based on 18.04 are subjective AF and can be swapped just by enabling and disabling arbitrary features. No need to format your hard drive.

use what works for you. mint is fine - i used it myself for some time till i switched to debian.

What does Mint Xfce offer?
>more installed programs by default (bloat)
>a thot name replacing "bionic", making adding PPAs more annoying
>an ugly theme
>i dunno, do they still install flash by default?

The days of Ubuntu not offering codecs that Mint includes ootb are over. Mint is a relic of the past.

that's why I said "for those who want Ubuntu but not Canonical"

>i trust Canonical to create all the packages, the kernel, everything
>but i'm going to choose Mr. Clem's build script ISO based on 99% Canonical's work and some added bloat and some changed variables because somehow it's not Canonical.

Here's my journey:
>Chromebook with ubuntu
>stolen, gifted a used HP Pavillion with a turion
>Puppy Linux
>Lubuntu
>Tails killed the laptop, got a new one
>W10 home
>manjaro, broke
>opensolus, boring
>antegros, looks and felt like shit
>manjaro again
>W10 pro
>w10 LTSB
>POP!_OS, perfect OS
I have a script to make it look like MAC OS, Windows 10, KDE or GNOME on command.

Yes, you're a subhuman retard.
You started in a perfectly maintained distribution to a nigger tier reskin of a corporate distribution.
You're the lowest scum that browses Jow Forums.
spins.fedoraproject.org/
those are actually pretty well maintained even if the main focus is shipping gnome.
And my Thinkpad has always worked here, Ubuntu 18.04 has problems with the sensitivity of the mouse and other shit.
And you don't need to grab an unofficial firmware iso for the wifi to work. It ships firmware to make the hardware work, but only free software.
getfedora.org/en/sponsors/

If you don't want headaches, choose the system that doesn't give you headaches.
Some systems work well with your hardware while others will be hell, complete with faggots not getting that just their advice works for their setup doesn't mean it works for yours.

fpbp

Already said that the spin doesn't work. Your Thinkpad probably isn't Optimus.

What do you find good about Pop!_Os ? I tried it a few days ago but didn't look much more polished than Mint. I couldn't even find the update manager; besides the interface is extra-ugly (although that can be changed ofc).

Just asking, maybe I missed something

How does mint handle pci passthrough?

>Mint is super fine now.
How long it's been now? What happened with Xubuntu?

No its fine. Just stop distro-hopping.

Next step is to move to Debian Cinnamon my fren.

I feel like you should pick a distro based on it's package manager, not whatever is 1337 or not.

its mint loving hours

it was but they redeemed themselves with cinnamon. I think the only reason Ubuntu doesn't offer Cinnabuntu is to be respectful.

Nah, it's a good distro and you'll enjoy using it.

mint is great

>linux mint
blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994
enjoy your backdoor
enjoy your OS maintained by amateurs. just read the comments, they have no idea what they are doing. hacked multiple times the same way? holy shit
at least go for something that is secure and stable. install debian.
or if you want newbie friendly, install ubuntu and slap it with your mate/cinnamon crap

The only problem I have with Mint is no Wayland support. Other than that it's my go to.

I initially liked cinnamon, but it struggles more with themes than win10 does, half of them are broken, and o haven't found a single one that doesn't have some menus where it makes both the text and background a light color, making it impossible to read without mousing over the item.

I had problems with screen tearing and it was slow as fuck. It got better with the new versions, but i reckon mint is way better than xubuntu even nowadays.

I've had enough of optimus on linux entirely. just begrudgingly reinstalled win10 today. I'll have to put up with it until I get an ice lake laptop

I honestly don't get this distro hopping shit that everyone here does.
I've been using Ubuntu for years and have never felt and need to use anything else. Are different distros really that different? Aren't they basically just the same thing but with different prepackaged software?

Cinnamon is king my dude. If you ever get tired of the ubuntu base i can strongly recommend fedora cinnamon.

fedora is not bound to gnome 3 you incredible faggot
try fedora everything iso

Well, not exactly. There's also a matter of things like how you receive updates (bleeding edge or something like Debian branches) or a package format (deb, rpm, pkg, etc.).

these days, it's basically UnbuntuMATE with a backdoor assport wide open and lubed for ivan.

*your tight and willing mint backdoor port feels so good user.*

Attached: 72304254-stock-vector-beautiful-girl-sleeps-in-the-bedroom-pop-art-girl-advertising-poster-comic-wom (450x318, 56K)

What did he mean by this?

>optimus
x server already runs like shit on common hardware, like mac laptops
if you are expecting decent quality video, then you are totally fucked

Nah man, I hopped trough Ubuntu, Arch, Gentoo, Debian and now settled with LM Cinnamon.
Whatever works best for you is your Distro. Don't listen to these brainlets bragging about their obscure distros and WMs that they setup in their VMs to get (you's) on Jow Forums.
What ever feels comfy for you and does the job is your Disto, period.

Attached: 1565538284318.jpg (633x640, 51K)

bro just use ubuntu and then 'sudo apt-get install cinnamon-desktop-environment' wtf why would you even use ubuntu rebranded as linux-mint or wtf ever they're calling it these days.

enjoy your literal botnet and backdoor, faggot ;-)

Yeah, I bought it without realizing the problems Linux and Nvidia had. I heard everyone hyping it up, so I just assumed it was some type of super kernel that could handle anything.