Matrix with riot vs. discrod

Jow Forums told me matrix(with riot) is the future and I can definitely see that, but without the ability to make subgroups in text or voice, I'm not so sure. It's definitely a step in the right direction however, having it as an open platform is infinitely better than what discord has with its datamining servers.

Attached: discord-logo.jpg (1000x563, 35K)

Do any of the nu-irc allow for file sharing between users?

That is also another issue. I'm not sure if there's anything like XDCC in matrix.

Take this pajeet ganoo slash loonix room: it looks and feels like a dark IRC but it still has borrowed some discord features. Not sure about the entire interface, I think the light theme looks better by default.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-23 14-21-33.png (1166x1435, 240K)

Peer-to-peer file transfers are hopefully unnecessary when you can share files via the server.

The main two features in favor of Discord these days are guilds (Matrix has communities, but they're kinda useless and are scheduled to be rewritten) and voice rooms (as opposed to Skype-style voice calls in Riot). Pretty much everything else important is more or less already there.

>no private messages
>everything is room-based
>robot that follows you around like a dog
I'd use Riot if it were less autistic.

fuck dickscord
I think someone needs to hurry up with a viable alternative pronto, but at the same time, it's a pretty good containment zone, isn't it?

>Jow Forums told me matrix(with riot) is the future
believing what most of these intellectual bankrupts have to say? good grief. I think i'll stick to using IRC for eternity. at least my data isn't being mined by furry pedophiles at discord and I don't have to use such concentrated autism like matrix & riot.

If Riot had the same Server/Channel style as Discord I would use it.

>The main two features in favor of Discord these days are guilds (Matrix has communities, but they're kinda useless and are scheduled to be rewritten)
By this you mean sub groups in servers?
>and voice rooms (as opposed to Skype-style voice calls in Riot). Pretty much everything else important is more or less already there.
Again, would this be voice channels in discord? What I'm getting in riot is just everyone joins into one large voice room and that's it.

>no private messages
>everything is room-based
Rooms with two people are private message rooms, where's the problem? Or do you prefer Discord's solution where you can't use half of guild room features in private chat rooms?

>robot that follows you around like a dog
I'm not even sure what you're talking about. I haven't had any issues like that.

>subgroups in servers
In Discord API terms, a "guild" is a collection of channels with a shared memberlist. You usually join one by going to an invite link, after which the guild's icon shows up on the left sidebar. A "server" is a voice chat server ("central europe", etc.).
Matrix's supposed answer to the former were communities, but these are effectively just a list of channels without any real shared state or membership.

>Again, would this be voice channels in discord?
Yes. Riot.im uses Jitsi Meet, which is pretty much a voice room, although the UX mimics that of calls like in Skype (or Discord private message rooms, for that matter). You can have multiple "rooms" (calls), though; nothing's stopping you from making multiple Matrix channels, each with their own dedicated voice call.

>>no private messages
Wait huh? There's direct messages and extra encryption if you so desire.

It's just to get people talking. Matrix with riot is literally as braindead as it can get.

I think they will eventually get there. Matrix itself was out of beta just recently, if it gets enough traction and devs, then we might be seeing those features soon.

Attached: difference between matrix and IRC.png (953x467, 93K)

>In Discord API terms, a "guild" is a collection of channels with a shared memberlist. You usually join one by going to an invite link, after which the guild's icon shows up on the left sidebar. A "server" is a voice chat server ("central europe", etc.).
>Matrix's supposed answer to the former were communities, but these are effectively just a list of channels without any real shared state or membership.
Ah, that makes much more sense. Thanks for that.

>nothing's stopping you from making multiple Matrix channels, each with their own dedicated voice call.
Of course, but that's a terrible way to address the problem.

>Rooms with two people are private message rooms, where's the problem? Or do you prefer Discord's solution where you can't use half of guild room features in private chat rooms?
I don't like bloat. If I go into a room, I don't mind having sixteen different things assaulting my asshole. If I go into private messaging, I prefer barebones.
>I'm not even sure what you're talking about. I haven't had any issues like that.
The little bastard that appears when you start Riot and create rooms.

For what it matters, communities redesign is probably on the table soon-ish and Discord-like voice rooms is the second most upvoted GitHub issue on the riot-web repository.

>If I go into private messaging, I prefer barebones.
Other than the member list, which you can toggle off with a header button, what else would you remove from direct chat rooms?

>The little bastard that appears when you start Riot and create rooms.
Perhaps that has been added since I've started using Riot or is specific to the matrix.org homeserver or riot.im/app Riot instance, but I haven't had anything like that happen for me. Anyway, I assume it can be toggled off without too much hassle.

Are there any well known IRC channels jumping ship to matrix?

Attached: confused Sachiko on Thinkpad.png (483x487, 196K)

>well known IRC channels

Attached: 1383913256245.gif (339x268, 1.99M)

>make subgroups in text or voice
Use Mumble. Riot is bloat and Discord is malware+bloat.

IRC and Discord is both trash. Last time I read the logs of either it was just disgusting NEETs, sitting there 18 hours a day in front of the window. Jumping at every opportunity to socialize and force their shit on other people. When social rejects cannot even create their own circle over TCP/IP you don't want to imagine the physical state of them IRL.

Attached: c06c1add.jpg (184x184, 14K)

who is paying you to make this thread every day?

>Jow Forums told me
Stopped reading there.

Mumble is great at what it does, all I'm looking for is superseeding IRC with features popularized by discord.

>IRC and Discord is both trash.
I mean, I guess? Most of the IRC channels I follows are extremely inactive and it has not gotten better these past few years.

I did not realize matrix was being shilled every single day. I HAVE seen discord threads, but this one is focused more on matrix.

Last selfish self bump. Just in case anyone wants to add in more for a conversation.

Discord is a huge botnet and filled with reddit and tranny culture, if you browse this site and actively use discord please fucking go back. Matrix looks like a great step forward from IRC, however IRC is very simple and has been around for so many years. It works very well for what it is, and most people don't want to switch. IRC and specific networks also has been apart of imageboard culture since the beginning and many of the communities created out of imageboards don't want to switch. However, the /hsg/ IRC is a good example of anons who have pretty much decided to switch over to matrix because these days that channel is nothing but join/part messages. The /hsg/ matrix is fairly active last time I looked, but I don't use matrix often so I don't know about now. I'm guessing this happened because it's a Jow Forums related community, and they see the benefits in moving to matrix.

Attached: maids.jpg (1500x2102, 258K)