/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600 - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>AAA or multiplatform games: Radeon card appropriate for your montior
>PC centric or VR games: Nvidia card appropriate for your display
>Used RX 570s can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p 16:9
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: performance-per-dollar_2560-1440.png (500x1050, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vHS_3qi0kXg&t=4m30s
pcpartpicker.com/list/fFRFFt
pcpartpicker.com/list/kZK8RJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/gxQ7D2
pcpartpicker.com/list/78cfsZ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Avoid Corsair PSUs

Attached: tier list.png (1312x731, 794K)

>t. Corsair's concurrent CEO

>there are people out here who think 720p is a realistic use case scenario

Attached: 1543692008655.jpg (250x247, 7K)

> There are people who would rather have

>last parts of build (gpu and monitor) arrive today
I haven't had a pc in years, tonight I will be back in the game! Now I kick back and wait for the pussy

the fact that theres room for improvement for everyone is pretty crazy

Avoid Adata ssds
Avoid Evga and Gigabyte gpus
Avoid Asrock and Asus mobos

>he doesn't game at 360p upscaled to 480p

>there are pepes who can't even understand CPU testing
Not surprising

Attached: 1362355609158.jpg (188x211, 11K)

there are people out here who post frogs

when you're a poor pajeet that can only play on his intel iGPU, i understand, but actual human beings can afford amd/nvidia and pull 144hz+ at 1440p

Especially Gigabyte GPUs. They cheap out hard on the fans and if you use any kind of aggressive fan curve they'll legit fall off just after your warranty expires.

THREADRIPPER WHEN
WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN

but I love evga gpus and I've been buying them since the 00s, what's wrong with them?

reminder that old games have issues with amd gpus

Attached: sacrifice on vega2.jpg (4728x2992, 2.14M)

shit cooling my evga gtx 1080 vrms went on fire. I got a MSI gaming x and never looked back

>MSI
laughs in Powercolor

their hybrid cards have incredibly loud pump noise

So if you pulled the heat sink and applied a water block the gpu would be fine right?

>they'll legit fall off just after your warranty expires.
based

>afford amd/nvidia and pull 144hz+ at 1440p
You were saying?

Attached: relative-performance-games-2560-1440.png (500x1330, 81K)

>9900k only 3% faster than 3600
oof, maybe next year, intel

>115 eur 2600 gives you 93% of the power of a 510 eur 9900k
>paying 440% of the price to squeeze these extra 7%
2600 is the GOAT

This is the PC building thread. I understand needing to lower your resolution to 720p for better framerates if you're playing on an older PC, but if you're BUILDING a PC, why the fuck are you buying hardware to target 720p?

Which 2070 super card should I get?

5700 xt pulse

Just report the ban evading FUD spreader. Don't reply to him.

Buying ~$400 GPU of a generation when it's good price:performance relative to others, then selling it for ~$200 and buying the next $400 one in 2-3 years is vastly better than buying an overpriced $1100 GPU that'll be beaten by a $400-$600 one in 2-3 years.

Only reason you should pay $1000+ for a GPU is because you'll always buy the best the moment it comes out to always have the best, as money doesn't matter.

>3900X better at high settings
>pozzed 9900k only good for low settings
based

If you're going to overpay for a 2070S, you may a well overpay more and get the best one.

Great, where do I buy one?

>Just report the ban evading FUD spreader. Don't reply to him.
I like how everybody in the thread probably agrees with this, but then if you point out who it is there would be a flame war

What's the best way to get Windows 10?

This. I was tempted to get a new ryzen but there's no fucking point. I'm keeping my 2600 for a long time.

evga>asus>msi>>>>>gigabyte>trash>the other brands

>that OP
fuck off. bring back the better version back, you schizo.

if you have a college email or account you can get one for free a lot of the time, for example using onthehub

by that logic, what ever you have right now is INFINTE value as you spend 0$ to keep using it.

stupidly cheap key from ebay. They work.

>being a motherboardlet in 2019
ishygddt

>as you spend 0$ to keep using it.
i bough 2600 a couple of days ago over all the other meme cpu

the gtx 1080 ti was great value though it's same performance as 2080 super but has more vram

youtube.com/watch?v=vHS_3qi0kXg&t=4m30s
>why are they so cheap?

Ordered a arctic freezer 33 dual for my meshify c and only got the stock fans for it. Should i move the fans somewhere or leave them in the same place. Sorry for the dumb question, i'm dumb.

Does anyone have a good ~1-1.2k USD build I could piggyback off of? I'll give you kisses in return... c:

Attached: tumblr_p4kqiwtrlg1rszud7o1_400.png (380x420, 17K)

Out of stock and not expected for another month. Except at one place, who have hiked up the price to 2070S levels anyway.

Thanks.

Damn, thanks but I don't. Unless I could forge a college email somehow

Tempted to do this, but how reliable are the keys? Should they work indefinitely or go unactivated randomly later on?

Also tempted to do this.

Will probably do one of the latter two options, seems too easy.

>not expected for another month
they get restocked next week, there was a big shipment yesterday too

Electricity costs, user.

it's a gamble getting a cheap gray market key. there's always a chance microsoft eventually disables it. but you can buy so many gray market keys for the price of a real key, chances are you eventually get one that slips through the cracks no matter what.
no idea what the rate of eventually disabling is, either. but there's a chance.

I have a 3570k OC'd to 4.1 paired with a gtx 770. I want to be able to play Cyberpunk 2077 on at least low/mid settings. Should I drop $800 on a new CPU/GPU, like a 2600 or a 3600 (won't spend over $200 on CPU) and a RX 580 or see how it works with just a GPU upgrade?

Ah okay, thanks.

by that logic, amd gpus are terrible value

Received the card today, it's a PNY 2060 Super.

>Pros:
- 340€ for a 2060 Super (which includes tax), which places around 2060 prices.
- It's actually really quiet and (but?) targets a temp of 78°C. Much quieter than the Vega 56s Pulse and AREZ Strix I returned (the Pulse was the better one, don't fall for the AREZ Strix lies).

>Meh:
- What do eggs and PNY share in common? The same packaging. It's cheaper than the Vega 56's packaging that already was bland cardboard. At least what can carry eggs safely should also be able to handle a GPU.
- A true dual-slot card with one 6 pin, fins oriented parallel to the PCB. Good for smaller cases, less for overclockers. I don't care.

>Con(s):
The I/O is spartan. One HDMI, one DP, one DVI. Nothing else, and certainly no USB-C even though Nvidia still asks (You) if you want the USB-C driver. So not for VR, and limited in multi-monitor setups.
> No comfort features like dual BIOS or zero RPM; the price doesn't lie. Even idle it's still impressively quiet despite not having dual BIOS.

Overall? Well it's much cheaper than AIB 5700 and other 2060S for a reason, but it's actually a pretty good deal if you don't care about the I/O being what it is.

Attached: PNY.png (1973x903, 2.56M)

Well yeah you aren't supposed to make "I reported you" posts. That's also against the rules.
It'd probably help if more than just 2-3 were reporting him though, idk, because the past few threads I haven't seen him dealt with.

I'm still probably going to upgrade for the improved performance in games that run the worst like Path of Exile, Oxygen Not Included, etc.
I have a feeling that Dwarf Fortress runs extremely well on Zen2 as well, and that graphics pack release is coming "eventually". Hopefully when that Steam release comes, it'll be a good game to benchmark.

It was $800-$900 most of the time and is only about 10% faster than the lower power 5700 XT.
You can OC a 5700 XT to perform the same while still using less power. So no, it was not
>good value
that is a coping mechanism that you have to lie to yourself comparing it to the overpriced 2080.

Grey market

Why didn't you get the Freezer 34..?
anyway, don't understand your question

$950 more budget 1440p build pcpartpicker.com/list/fFRFFt
$1130 1080p build pcpartpicker.com/list/kZK8RJ or if you just want a stronger 1440p CPU to survive through a future GPU upgrade.

You should be able to upgrade to a 3600+5700 for less than that when you're keeping the same PSU, case, etc. Especially if you go the B450 route.

That's funny, when the 5700 has better perf/watt than the 2060.

pcpartpicker.com/list/gxQ7D2

will do some programming and some light gaming on it (no aiming for max settings at 1080)
thoughts?
also does anybody have experince with nvme ssds? I mean is heat the problem, if i play games from it?

you mean what should your case fan arrangement be?
can you post the exact number of fans and draw your current arrangement along with the open slots?
in general you want most fans on the front pushing air in, then fans on the back pushing out, and then fans on the top pushing up, and fans on the bottom pushing into the case

I'm gonna do it boys I'm gonna order the kingpin 2080 ti unless somebody stops me

dont be foolish, do you need it

amd shill in FULL force, lol
Hows your stocks doing?

yeah but I just wanna play CP2077. Dota2 and CS:GO are my regular games. I don't wanna go overboard seeing as my current setup can run these games just fine. Will probably just upgrade my 770 to a 580

I dont need it I'm depressed and trying to cheer myself up by buypigging

why that specific one?

stop right here motherfucker

Attached: 1452461584958.png (300x268, 120K)

delet

>not just fast RAM but top-tier mobo for Poozen now
You can NOT defend that.

>Grey market

Alright thanks, that's what I was leaning towards.

dilate

Asked this once but forgot but are the asus rog strix cards good, pretty much the only good brand available for me right now.

Wtf happened to Asus mobos? I've used them for over a decade now and never had one fail.

it's the most expensive one, highly binned, and can overclock to be faster than a titan stock. I'm just trying to feel better like a retard.

Okay here is a reason.

I understand wanting a 2080ti for top performance even though it's terrible performance per dollar

But are you really gonna utilize the features the Kingpin offers? Just get a cheaper ti

Evaluate why buying things makes you feel better instead, piggy.

Tell me why i should pay almost 100 more for 5700xt instead of regular 5700. When talking in % how much is 5700 weaker?

>cette barquette en carton pour un produit a 340 eur

Attached: 1566587245375.jpg (1024x753, 153K)

Use case davinci resolve

Would i see a larger upgrade in a

1700 to 3700/3900
or
1060 6gb to 5700 xt

What's that s'posed to mean?

Attached: 1444711947870.jpg (583x994, 52K)

are there 2070 super for the price equivalent of 5700xt?

TUF, Aorus Elite, Steel Legend or Gaming Edge. I have to know, they cost about same.

5700xt

>only 3 display out
The fuck is this, 2008?
At least you can daisy chain the DP I guess?

>You can OC a 5700 XT to perform the same
except that clock OC only gives 1-3% more fps because vram OC is impossible

I mean...if you plan to use that gpu for 10+ years, then sure go for it, but if you plan to replace it soon, then you are kinda wasting money.

Buy me video games, user.

wrong

Techlet here, I have an old PC with 4GB of ram in two sticks. Can I move them to my current PC (2x4GB RAM) or will it cause problems?

Just to clarify the old PC has 2x2GB of RAM not 2x4GB of RAM

if you have the budget do it

you can but ram is so cheap you should just buy new ram. it will be faster and you will have fewer problems.

>highly binned
still less binned than founders edition

Are they same ddr?

>wrong
show me where do people manage to OC ram and keep it stable, and don't give me LN2 set ups, i'm talking realistic use scenario

No fucking clue. In hindsight I probably should have posted this when I had it at hand, right now I'm away from home.

What's a better combo promo sale that I should buy for my leftover parts to be used for my younger brother? I have a 1050 ti 4gb palit to put up with

2200g+a320m mobo+4gb 1 ram stick for $140
or a 200ge+a320m mobo+4gb 1 ram stick for $100?

pcpartpicker.com/list/78cfsZ
gonna buy this.
you jelly?

>gigashit
don't say you weren't warned

Agreed about the 2600, as the user who posts the TPU charts. I have one. I'm slightly jealous of the 3600 though. Pic related

>why the fuck are you buying hardware to target 720p?
You're not, retard. You are fucking stupid though, so quit posting until you figure why 720p CPU tests are relevant

>Just report the ban evading FUD spreader.
Take your meds, schizo

>I want to be able to play Cyberpunk 2077 on at least low/mid settings.
Wait until the game releases, then ask again since apparently you have no need to upgrade now

>I haven't seen him dealt with.
Take your meds, schitzo. Filing false reports is a bannable offense.

The likely answer is don't bother

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-23 Remnant From the Ashes тест GPU CPU Action FPS TPS Тест GPU.png (720x795, 52K)

thoughts on case/cooler combo? I'm mainly worried about noise and RAM clearance. I don't plan on OC'ing, just PBO.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 12.44.12 PM.png (1918x1354, 347K)

>you jelly?
I would make suggestions but this just puts me off so I wrote this instead

that high tier of a cooler isn't needed, you're better off buying the 3700x and using the stock cooler

Quit evading your ban

Attached: sitewide b&.png (1662x816, 225K)

>pcpartpicker.com/list/78cfsZ
>basic computer for gayming
YEAH BOOOOOIIIIII, I'm so jelly your mommy is buying you some new stuff!