Visual Studio Code collects usage data and sends it to Microsoft, although this telemetry reporting can be disabled...

>Visual Studio Code collects usage data and sends it to Microsoft, although this telemetry reporting can be disabled.The data is shared among Microsoft-controlled affiliates and subsidiaries and with law enforcement, per the privacy statement.

Attached: images.png (313x161, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/VSCodium/vscodium
packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-editors/emacs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Basically, it can't disable telemetry.

Use Vscodium
github.com/VSCodium/vscodium

this

redpill me on vscode
what's so good about it that everyone's ditching sublime

>this telemetry reporting can be disabled
No, it can't.
Using (((any))) M$ product, you are connected to the botnet.

>Not reading
as soon as you apply the manifest.json (which enables the extension gallery) you opt into data sharing, vscodium also applies it that's why you can use extension gallery.
The only way to stop data sharing is to not apply the patch at which point you lose extension support.

Anyway whoever uses vscode nowadays is a brainlet anyway. Any editor has the same code intelligence and debugging features because the protocols are open source. The only reason to use vsc is if you admit to yourself you are a braindead retard.

>using vscode on a personal server

Use it on a vm on an isolated network

Why wouldn't you just use open source software then, that's fucking stupid, also programs that test security would be things the cops get contacted over.
That's fucking stupid

There is no reason to use it anyway. Both its language protocol as well as the debugger protocol are implemented by multiple of editors (including vim,sublime,atom,emacs).

The only reason to use vscode is if you are 15 years old and are hooked by bad marketing schemes.

The funny thing is that while vscode is open source (the git repo) people not only nearly exclusively use the proprietary ms builds but worse some idiots think by using vscodium they disable the data sharing which just shows how retarded those people are.

Maybe you'd actually want to read what a piece of software does? No wonder Brave is going off seeing how easy it is to influence retarded teens into using vscode

it's free, if you have paid for sublime there's no real reason to ditch it for anything other than Vim

maybe because its extremely easy to use and has a huge extension community which has support for just about anything. not to mention i am able to ssh into my development machine and work on code as if I was locally in it which was dead simple to setup.

If you are fine with Microsoft getting all the data AND sharing them with not only law enforcement but also "third parties" instead of just setting up your own editor for 5 minutes (which again as said would have the same code intelligence and debugging.ability) then you evidently are not relevant enough and are not doing relevant shit. Pen and paper are better suited towards people like you and Im genuinely not joking.

Also remember if you do C/CPP development the proprietary extension non ironically shares (parts of) your codebase with Microsoft. How retarded you have to be to even think about installing vscode I cannot tell you.

I work for one the largest software houses in the USA. We are free to use VS Code, just need to turn off like 2 options in settings or use the in house build which has those features removed at a source level. It's a non-issue.

Whats so bad about vscodium?

>I work for one the largest software houses
Amazon

Do you even read? Disabling telemetry doesn't actually disable telemetry you how hard is it to read instead of just posting whatever to make yourself feel better ???

As soon as you apply the patch which enables the extension gallery support you opt into data sharing even if the telemetry configs are false. This MS guy from Microsoft had to excuse himself and explain it YEARS ago and if they didn't hide it it still is in their repo.

But hey have fun sharing not only data about your hardware/software but worse literally your codebase if you are doing c/pp dev.

And remember fucking idiot the data gets shared with MS, law enforcement and ANY third party they want to share it with.

stop editing illegal files with VSCode!

See
Vscodium has all of the same data sharing enabled regardless of what their dev says it's the sole reason Microsoft didn't went after them yet (MS emailed the AUR maintainer of vscode oss package in 2017 back when it had like 50 users, imagine how dipshit they would go for sth like vscodium which is publically advertised).

If your extension gallery works you are opted into the entire suite of data sharing that's how it is whether you like it or not. Contrary the extension gallery not working doesn't necessarily mean Telemetry is off, this one should be obvious though.

"Important Notice: VS Code gives you the option to install Microsoft and third party extensions. These extensions may be collecting their own usage data and are not controlled by the telemetry.enableTelemetry setting. Consult the specific extension's documentation to learn about its telemetry reporting."

I mean that's common sense.

Agree with this. I switched to emacs and never looked back. Easier to configure, netter default keyboard shirtcuts, and actually respects my freedom.

It has pretty good git integration and a general purpose debugger that is pretty good.

"Good git integration" is the free space in on the bingo board. All you have to do is map the git command line functions to buttons.

Based and redpilled. I'm more of a vi/vim person myself, but I'm glad others are learning freedoms-respecting terminal-based editor software. Once one gets over the learning curve, it's often far more useful anyway.

I use personalized vim and tmux on my linux machine at home but I also have a personal laptop (mac), a work laptop (PC) and a work PC. I don't have time to figure out how to configure and get all the extensions for vim on each platform. With VSCode I can just download vim extension and boom there I go. As for the code spying sure if I make a business I will stop using it but as for now I'm not a fucking spy so I don't really give a shit

Anyone know of a FOSS editor that's as user friendly as Viscose but not electron shit and has good plugins/extensions?

packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-editors/emacs

>Any editor has the same code intelligence and debugging features because the protocols are open source
not really.

also have sex.

Kate

>Visual Studio Code collects usage data and sends it to Microsoft

>extensions may be collecting their own usage data

retard.

>also have sex.
not him but I don't really get this meme. How is that funny? Is that an offense or something like that?

>Anyway whoever uses vscode nowadays is a brainlet anyway.

Attached: 66581336_449038425935678_2635498490964213760_n.jpg (298x253, 8K)

ex shave

it's just a random statistical trigger attempt. no need to think about it too much, ya virgin

It's comfy and unironically it just werks. It's one of the only good products microsoft has made in the last decade. The downsides is that like OP says, it vacuums your data. Also it can be buggy and unstable when you get into weird edge cases, but for general purpose, everyday webdev, it's the best in the world.

Kate

Vim

Dont worry, one day you'll meet someone who feels sorry enough for you