Why would you buy the same thing for $200

Why would you buy the same thing for $200...

Attached: lmao.png (1897x971, 565K)

Post the model of the new one, looks like you're being a tech hipster and comparing a 802.11.ac or n router to an older b/g router

i mean that right there should be enough to get you to buy an ac router desu but the ordinary consumer will still think a wifi drop means its their modem and or internet when in reality its every goddamn hipster buying these routers and filling their channels on their own volution

>eSATA

The one on the left used to be like $40 refurbished on the Linksys website back when it was released. Then it became a meme and now it goes for $150 used now.

You don't need ac. Unless you're maintaining a server farm with Google Fiber, and let me really clarify this. Let me reiterate. You do NOT need ac.

Attached: very-hot-miss-santa-teen-cutey.jpg (686x1280, 264K)

Technically ones wireless-g and the other AC/N. Though it wouldn't have been worth it either way for 200 dollars when you can get the archer AC1750 for 70 dollars. Actually even a regular wireless N router would have been fine with openwrt installed onto it.

Always remember
Wireless N 2.4Ghz > wireless AC 5 Ghz

There actually better routers out there that are actually supported for 10+ years rather than your piece of shit consumer routers that get updates for a year or two then they end up in a landfill. Motherfuckers want you to buy the same shit over and over rather than patching the vulnerabilities.

Attached: Mikrotik.png (748x158, 18K)

Get out faggot with your shitty connection.

Attached: fag.png (592x125, 203K)

One good thing about my country is that ISPs have been giving out DIR-868L and RT-AC1200 for years to everyone who recontracts, we're at a point where I can get them at $10 each and run an entire farm of those.

>Giving out
Yeah that's a lie pretty much there. You are leasing those. And by the time your contract ends you already paid more for that trash than if you were to buy it brand new.

But hey! At least the brainwashing still works so they gonna keep giving them out "for free".

cus it's shit

Attached: wrt54gl_2.jpg (2722x3629, 2.99M)

they stopped doing that over 15 years ago here.
how does it feel to live in a third world country?

Suuure... They stopped doing that because you probably pay more for the internet than you should despite living in a first world country.

Huge difference faggot. If I could I would replace my GPON that my ISP forces me to use but I can't. I also have my own router despite the fact that my ISP offers one if you pay monthly X amount. Plus it's a rebadge of another product that's locked down and you cannot even install custom firmware on it like OpenWrt. Basically trash. It's there for the average Joe who doesn't know shit about networking gear.

>assuming shit out of your ass
classic cope. i pay €37/mo for 250/100 no caps, no spying, no letters, no throttling, nothing. can host whatever the fuck i want too and they upgraded the fiber converter box for free so i can get 1Gbit if i want.

feels good living in a country with a well regulated market that promotes actual competition and fair prices.

I don't know. Why would you buy a $200,000 supercar when you can buy a $3500 pile of scrap?

Fuck off. AC is the only wifi generation that will let me utilize even half of my connection's throughput, and I'm not even on fiber.

And I pay €6 for 300/150 you nigger monkey. You don't know anything. So sit the fuck down and shove your free routers up your rectum because that's where they belong.

>romania-tier
come back when you live in an actual working economy.
also
>assuming more shit out of your ass
they dont give us free routers here.
plus, it's cheaper in the big cities thanks to the population density.
mad gypsy cunt.

you think that is bad? look at UK, most of germany, australia, USA and canada...

That's not up to me. That's to the other part of the brain dead population who keep voting the same communist party when during elections.

I have to agree on you on that my filthy country has huge corruption problems. We are working on it. And do fuck gypsies.

Want some more tidbits? I live in a small town and not in a big city where things are more calm.

And you know what sucks even more? I had DSL before I got fiber. You know how much I paid? €15 for 7 down 0.5 up. Old ISP was slow with rolling fiber so they got the snip. Healthy competition got them GTFOd.

Found the literar poorfag.

Yes it's bad. You need to power one more box. Let's just waste more energy. More carbon dioxide please and please start more fires in the Amazon rainforest. Thank you.

SFP ports are not for the mainstream.

what the fuck are you talking about

What would you do with your free router? You like having your ISP modem or GPON or cable box in bridge mode or what? You don't need a router if you are doing basic networking. End of story.

already told you they stopped giving you routers 15 years ago here, you can use whatever the fuck you want and almost everyone uses a modem/router combo so there is only one box to power, and if you think a few more watts is a big deal you should just replace your fucking light bulbs with LED bulbs and you save more power, dipshit.

and these days most have fiber to the home and they get a converter box with several ports in the installation cost, or if you live in an apartment complex the municipal fiber company give you one literally for free. pic related.

Attached: IMG_20190824_140325.jpg (3024x4032, 3.9M)

Wrong my friend. That's not the case with fiber. If I were to buy a TX-6610 to replace HG323UEG I couldn't. They don't allow such things. You can buy one to collect dust, you can even plug it in and see some LEDs but that's about it. You ain't getting internet on that. Plus it's only 802.11n so basically worthless. Chink firmware that probably has a backdoor and the vulnerabilities you can imagine. Terrible coverage, only two ports, one if in bridge mode. At least you can turn off the radio on it to protect yourself from KRACK and PMKID attacks. No firmware updates either.

One more thing. They are also vulnerable to bruteforce attacks as well because the default keyspace is only 8 characters hex. You can basically crack them in hours. Pair it with WiGLE database and you can have free Wifi pretty much in the entire city or the places you go often. VPN back to your own VPS and you are gold.

>bla bla bla
just because you cant/arent allowed doesnt mean the same applies to me in a different country.

The Kaon AR4010 is what my ISP offers for an extra €1 for 24 months. You do the math.

At this point you can pretty much get something like an Archer C6 v2 for the same price and much cheaper during sales.

What is the difference? Custom firmware. OpenWrt has snapshot builds for that. Good luck for the Kaon piece of shit.

why do you keep talking about your irrelevant bullshit? i dont give a shit.

I have an ancient wrt54g modded with dd-wrt and I know it's an outdated piece of shit, it only does 12.5MB/s between computers with wired connections, I can only send files to my phone wirelessly at 2MB/s, and I'm sure that the range and signal strength are a lot better on newer routers, but... I can't be bothered. I don't feel like spending money on a new router.

Because it's fun to make fun of you. And seems like you like it as well. You can consider staying or leaving Jow Forums forever.

Bottleneck paradise.

Attached: connectport.jpg (640x636, 44K)

do you think I'm experiencing a bottleneck with my online activities? My internet speed is only 50mbps down (6MB/s), it's well under the 100mbps threshold that my router is capable of.

I do acknowledge that it's a huge bottleneck when, say, I'm transferring files from one computer to another computer over LAN

Spinning rust? Wireless Jow Forums?

can't believe "gaming routers" exist, this is some audiophile level shit

>im making fun of you by crying about being locked down by my ISP while the person im "making fun of" is not locked down by his ISP

Attached: mindblow.gif (500x333, 2.92M)

Just what gaymers need. They don't want to know what QoS and VLANs are for. Keep integrating more shit in your firmware, WTFast and all sorts of profiles for games that get outdated quickly. Put more RAM and a better SoC. Gaymers like bigger numbers. It probably means better. Right? Don't forget RGB, spider legs for maximum amount of antennas that cause more harm than good. Set Tx power for radio to the highest allowed by law and don't worry about the small number of negative reviews. They only sell a few of those at high prices. Send them to youtubers and kids will watch the shill reviews.

Crying because I am laughing how imbecile you are. You can have as much money in your "first world country". Sadly you cannot buy a brain with the money you earn.

>need
Why would anyone need more than a 28.8 kbaud modem?

Because it makes your internet goes faster
Cheap = Slow
Expensive = Fast
It's pretty simple

Wireless Jow Forums

Enjoy 1MB/s downloads on wifi in practice.

Got a old netduma for like 50 bucks and a helstra dual band for free
Works well enough with a range extender as well

802.11ac with 2x2 MIMO (what most laptops have) barely covers my 100 Mbit/s Internet connection.

Plug in one of those wireless cables.

ITT: people in tiny apartments with no garden and slow DSL connections

WRT54G is garbage. Its been garbage ever since people have > 20Mbps speed. I've worked with 3-4 of them and they would choke so hard once you reach a ~20Mbps or so

Any decent router should have at least 6 antennas.
3x 5 GHz
3x 2.4 GHz

You do, if you don't have a turdworld level internet connection G isn't going to cut it.
Not to mention the old 54GLs struggle to route over ~20mb connections even on OpenWRT.
They are great as access points for temporary shit, but once they have to deal with WAN-LAN routing they choke quickly.

>I am laughing how imbecile you are
At least he has a decent grasp of the English language.

Attached: ONQL3GK.jpg (500x634, 48K)

because you need the 5ghz meme band that loses connection if you get more than 5 feet from it and can't penetrate any walls whatsoever.

That's why you set it up as a mesh network with multiple 5 GHz access points.

>having to buy multiple repeater devices because the band itself is shit

This is why we should just all buy SDR's and use the unlicensed bands instead.

I doubt your homebrew SDR setup will achieve 900 Mbit/s net throughput.

If you know some electrical engineering, you can add a boost circuit and larger antennae to the cheapest second hand tp-link and turn it into a $500 router.

Probably not but it would be fast enough for web browsing and probably some SD streaming as well. Best thing to do would be to just ditch wifi completely and run a PoE RJ45 wired network through your house. This is what i've been thinking about doing. I can even add a wifi AP in certain places for tablets and shit if i need to.

Doubt your total wireless usage reaches 100mbps

>would
>could
>have been thinking about
Meanwhile I'm enjoying high throughput MU-MIMO 802.11ac 5 GHz WiFi running on my mesh of Ubiquity access points right now.

>go into another room
>must associate with the next AP
>temporarily disconnects to do so
>repeat for every room you enter
nah. no thanks.

Quality access points support fast, seamless roaming.

How quality? $500 per unit?

>Mikrotik
Based and routerpilled

Attached: 1565315549367.gif (332x292, 1.32M)

Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC Pro
supports fast roaming

Attached: 1549037337786.jpg (667x680, 20K)

Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC Pro - Wireless Access Point - 802.11 B/A/G/n/AC (UAPACPRO5US)
Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC Pro - Wireless Access Point - 802.11 B/A/G/n/AC (UAPACPRO5US)
4.3 out of 5 stars 69

>$559.00 $699.00

pfffffffffffffffffft ahhahhahahahaha

It's $140.

Starting from 150 euros in my country.

I was just at a flea market and passed on two of the ones of the right for $2 each. Did I fuck up? What are some uses for a slow secondary wifi network?

Still a good price for a professional quality WiFi access point.

But they aren't the same... retard.

Why shouldn't I just place 3x larger antennas on my cheap router, it's hidden in a corner anyway.

just buy a generation or two or three behind the curve. i needed a new AP since my D-link DIR-814 kept dropping connections and needing to be reset, and I found pick related for $25. Connections rock solid and now get 70-80Mbps speed tests from either corner of my front & back yards (previously had spotty connections at best). The config options on ASUS-WRT are great too, with alot of fine tooth settings like per band mac filter, power transmission settings and roaming assistant to allow auto-disconnect when SNR falls below a certain threshold (useful if you want your clients to connect to a particular AP). now considering picking up a newer ASUS model to replace my main router so I can take advantage of some of the AiMesh features on ASUS WRT (it would be replacing a Linksys AC1750).

Attached: ASUS RT-AC66U.jpg (225x225, 5K)

>need
You don't NEED any Wifi. You don't NEED any electronics. You don't NEED more than bread, water, and a cold cell.

Because it only looks the same retard. Left is a 50mbps piece of shit

*right

damage control