It is 2019 and the GNOME developers still haven't added one

it is 2019 and the GNOME developers still haven't added one

Attached: Filepicker.png (742x828, 151K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141154
gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/233
zdnet.com/article/gnome-bled-dry-by-outreach-programs/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Imagine using linux on desktop

GNOME/GTK was a mistake

You guys complain about this so much, why don't you just implement it yourself and submit a patch?

Paths exist but GNOME developers refuse to merge.

Then fix the issues with those patches?

I don't use Linux, I don't give a shit.

Oh so you're just trolling, got it. You really got me bro. Btw the OS is called GNU/Linux

Why bother when GNOME/GTK is such shit and you can just use something better (Plasma/Qt)?
And by the way, I was the one that submitted the first patch for Firefox that added the image preview thing on the right; before, Firefox didn't have shit for previewing on the file selection browser. It's still shit compared to actual image thumbnails, but it was a huge improvement over FUCKING NOTHING.

I'm not OP retard. Also:

Attached: Screenshot 2019-08-24 at 13.27.50.png (1538x62, 32K)

KDE has even worse bugs. I don't care about this anyway because don't have a "meme folder" or whatever it is you zoomers call it. Reminder that posting image macros outside /b/ is against the rules.

That doesn't contradict what I said. The OS Is called GNU/Linux.

> The OS Is called GNU/Linux.
Learn to read, you fucking moron.
"Linux is a family of open source Unix-like operating systems" not "GNU/Linux" just "Linux".
You stupid fuck.

Even if you were to take that position, the "Linux family" includes GNU-based operating systems such as GNU/Linux, as well as other things like Android.

Just because something says something on the internet doesn't make it true. Linux is a fucking kernel. GNU is the OS.
Call it GNU. Not enough GNU systems don't use Linux as the kernel to matter clarifying, and according to GNU's site, ANY free software included in a GNU system is considered part of GNU, so you don't even need to clarify it as separate because it's GNU anyway.
It's GNU. Plain, simple, accurate. Use it.

Let's fix the basics first. How do I fix this? This is what happens if you select "Browse" in Jow Forums on Linux with Firefox.
>long filename isn't cut off but resizes the whole GUI which is fucking ridiculous
>thumbnail is too small and can't be configured
>hidpi scaling is active, but it's broken so the thumbnail is small there are big ass borders around it
Should I just switch to Windows?

Attached: firefox.png (2240x1488, 312K)

No, fix the bug yourself, or pay someone else to fix it.

>Linux is a fucking kernel. GNU is the OS.
Not him, but that's not true. Linux is both the name given to the kernel and the name given to the entire OS. GNU is not even used for 99% of Linux OS (Android).

>No, fix the bug yourself, or pay someone else to fix it.
The Gnome developers refuse to fix the bug, there are patches available since 2004.

There are no issues. It just goes against their philosophy.
>inb4 then make your own gnome
Fuck off retard. Some people do this already.

>Should I just switch to Windows?
The bullshit around the GTK file picker made me switch to Mac after 5 years of Linux. I never once looked back.

The bug: bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141154

My file picker on debian10 with nautilus looks a bit different. I still have the big picture on the right, but my images have little preview thumbnails besides their names on the left.

It looks the same...

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-24 13-50-43.png (1600x900, 195K)

>based on the Linux kernel
>Linux kernel

The developers deliberately ignore the issue.

Why can't they fix basic shit like this?
If there's a glaring security hole, do I have to fix it myself too?
You know, I'd actually fix it myself, if it didn't take hours to build firefox, which I'd have to do on every update.

I got small previews.

Attached: froggy.png (597x304, 69K)

That's not possible with Gnome on Debian 10.

this right here. i can deal with the file picker meme but this is disgusting

Rendering images is not the task of a 'file-chooser'. There is no 'still haven't' for it won't happen.

>Rendering images is not the task of a 'file-chooser'
... ?

reminder that some retard gave them 1 000 000 usd for being assholes

Attached: 1539990399139.png (790x226, 11K)

They're fine with a new patch now: gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/233

there shouldn't even be a name where the preview is

there i fixed it, now make them do it

Don't forget how they used all the money: zdnet.com/article/gnome-bled-dry-by-outreach-programs/

no really. someone open a bug and tell them to remove the file name on the right

But I got debian10.

Attached: Bildschirmfoto vom 2019-08-24 14-05-16.png (541x399, 51K)

This is why Linux is shit.

>this QOL thing would be nice to have
Go make it then!
>it's already made, but having it default would be great.
Then apply that patch and stop whining.

Then go on about how Windows don't implement QOL things you want, all while you refuse to patch it in yourself.

It doesn't make any sense.

to add to this: I also just have a standard installation from one of those 4gig dvds.
The only extension I have is dash2panel so that is out of the question.

It's the cache. It works half the time.

I looked it up and if you search for "nautilus filepicker in firefox with thumbnails" you will find quite a lot of pictures where these filepickers have icons. Maybe it is because of this setting in nautilus? If you have nautilus open, rightclick it and go to settings/options, whatever it is called in englisch. Sorry, screenshot is in german.

Attached: Bildschirmfoto vom 2019-08-24 14-10-42.png (576x562, 39K)

That makes sense. Never got into this. I always saw the threads here about people not having mini previews and laughed about it because I always had them in debian 8,9,10

Have you even tried to get those patches upstreamed or did you just hope someone else would do it?
But that's wrong because the bug is still open. If you already made your own GNOME with the bug fixed then what is the point of this thread?

Set your firefox .desktop file to run GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 /usr/lib/firefox/firefox %u
youre welcome

>Have you even tried to get those patches upstreamed or did you just hope someone else would do it?
People have tried. I switched to Mac.

(Second one you are referencing)
I didn't make this thread. My posts are I never did fix anything. I have a standard debian 10 installation.

>what is the point of this thread?
Educate people how shitty Linux is.

>mfw when I found out you can't record desktop on wayland

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (507x338, 54K)

OBS doesn't work?

I don't see any real patches there. If you tried you didn't try very hard. MacOS has even worse issues such as the entire display server and GUI toolkit being closed source, you couldn't even send them a patch if you wanted.
But this is GTK, not Linux. Linux is the kernel.

>MacOS has even worse issues
Like what?
> the entire display server and GUI toolkit being closed source
I don't give a shit if everything works perfectly.

and yet it works and there is not missing feature or bug. Some people don't use caching.

>and yet it works and there is not missing feature or bug.
lmao

Everything doesn't work perfectly though. I can't link you to any bugs because apple, in typical closed-source fashion doesn't even have a public bug tracker. Quality in MacOS has been declining for years as they focus on IOS which is their real moneymaker. It's a dying platform that will never be able to be patched or fixed.

>Rendering images is not the task of a 'file-chooser'. There is no 'still haven't' for it won't happen.
gnomentality

so why do these really small thumbnails besides the filenames work?

>pretends to laugh instead of refuting an argument.

Just use nautilus then

kek

Apple shill please go, adults are talking.

Everything works perfectly.
I used Linux for 5 years and Mac for 3 years. I've had hundreds of frustrating experiences with Linux, dozens of them every month the "no thumbnail in the file picker" bullshit isn't even in the top 10 of the worst and that alone is enough to make me switch. On the other hand, I had never had a single frustrating experience with Mac. Not a single one in 3 years.

Attached: 53647189_2352320748386124_6706336809022798725_n-2619211277.jpg (524x601, 119K)

What does this do?

thats because theyre busy working on diversity and inclusion. anyone who uses gnome is a retard.

Because I use gnome, it seems that

(gnome users) UNION (gnome devs) = FALSE

Imagine using linux on server

Anecdotal evidence, of course you wouldn't have any problems when you use it for shitposting and facebook. Anyway I'm not wasting any more time talking to you Apple shills, you know exactly what the problems with that company are.

>really small thumbnails
>work
lmao

What's the KDE bug?

>Anecdotal evidence, of course you wouldn't have any problems when you use it for shitposting and facebook.
I'm a PhD student in CS faggot.

but they do work(?)
What are you on about?

So Linux is anything that uses that Linux kernel, and yet you say that you don't use Linux? Really? You don't have any Android devices, any Amazon devices like a Kindle, drive a Tesla or late model Camry or Mazda, or have network routers or any other embedded devices complicated enough to need an operating system?

apples and oranges. its closed source but you can expect it to function properly every time you use your computer

Nothing happens. On the terminal this shows up:
(firefox:3279): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:33:21.711: Can't open portal file chooser: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop was not provided by any .service files
What now?

Not him but I find mac inconvenient too.

>really small thumbnails < real thumbnails
this is 'works'

If you are a student you yet have to learn

So shitposting and facebook then? If you know so much about CS then why can't you add thumbnails to your file picker? It should be so easy, that's why we're making fun of GNOME devs for not being able to do it, right?
No you can't. Apple can't even do basic things like ship a working keyboard anymore, and if you complain about it, they tell you it's your fault. I won't make excuses for any products, every piece of tech is broken in some way because they're all made by flawed humans. But the key difference is in the philosophy and outlook.

I totally understand what you mean and it is no excuse to say "at least something" when other OS have bigger thumbnails. But still I like to say that is is better than nothing like OP seems to have.

The worst is that I got used to gnome's file picker.
>just type to search

>quoting wikipedia
not sure if absolute retard or just nigger

>quoting wikipedia
pic rel

Attached: emma stone.jpg (600x713, 105K)

Imagine using WANGBLOWS

Attached: 42d55ba2-a704-4023-b752-877b0a088f61.jpg (1024x768, 177K)

Gee user nobody can see that huge red box at the top of the page there.

imagine not using mac

imagine using Candy crush (tm) OS

One of the reasons I hate GNOME, those people are mac fanboys, trying to imitate it in worst ways and open/save file dialog was peak audism even 10 years ago.

Yeah, but it was there, same with Linux, it was changed couple times (to tell the truth) too

Any time someone touts the benefits of Linux being open source software just show them this image

It has been YEARS now and this still isn’t fixed. Nothing gets done.

There are patches for gtk3 and gtk2 that work fine. If you load like 10,000 images, it'll be kinda slow but whatever. However upstream has no interest in them and wants to move to GTKListView and GTKGridView instead because of the slowness issue. I don't know how far along/usable those widgets are at this time (after all the file chooser still uses tree view), but until someone writes an implementation based on those gtk widgets, this feature will never land in upstream.

welcome to Jow Forums kid

>of course you wouldn't have any problems when you use it for shitposting and facebook.

tfw you cant even do that properly on any linux distro

Why would anyone install Gnome 3?

On Linshit, firefox uses GTK, which is a gnome component.

Imagine being not being smart enough to right click remove those tiles.

>doing it at last 2 dozens of times
Good monkey!

>just do the developers job for them lmao
the absolute state of lincucks

They don't have jobs. That's why they're GNOME developers.

Don't worry. I'm sure they will add that basic functionality within the next 20 years or so.

IpadOS is coming soon and you wont need a gay laptop anymore.