Help me decide between 2.1 speaker sets

Hey /jee/, I need a basic 2.1 set. It doesn't need to be super fancy, I'm not gonna invest hundreds in an Onkyo amp and then get some 70s gramba bookshelf speakers and refurbish them and blah blah blah. Can't be bothered, don't have time. I'm not an audiophile autist. I will listen to them mostly at a low or medium volume. I've narrowed it down to these 3. Taking into account the prices, which should I go for? I don't mind buying the more expensive one if it's worth it for low and medium volume (low meaning the next room is hardly disturbed by it, medium meaning the next room can definitely hear it but it's not seriously disturbing not so loud that it makes someone cranky) and probably medium bass level.

>Logitech Z333 - 40 watts RMS - 40 BongBux
>Logitech Z533 - 60 watts RMS - 55 BongBux
>Logitech Z623 - 200 watts RMS - 55 BongBux

Is the 623 the obvious choice here, because of its potential, if I ever do want to blast them? I don't see me wanting to do so any time in the near or medium-term future, but is it still the obvious choice?

/sqt/ is useless for for this type of question

Attached: iu[1].jpg (1280x720, 97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

klipsch.com/products/klipsch-promedia-2-1-thx-certified-computer-speaker
youtube.com/watch?v=SnFKYfn_7GA
youtube.com/watch?v=D-h6MoF7HLA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes, at those prices the Z623 is the only option.

It is solid for generic use, nothing amazing, don't expect anything approaching reference quality sound, but it will make noise cleanly, the bass if boosted all the way gets stupidly boomy and is fairly muddy overall, not a tight punchy bass you'd find from a studio sub in the ~$500 range.

Overall for the price, that's as good as it gets.

just get book shelf speakers... I'm sure edifier has a pair that you can afford. I'm pretty sure even their r1010bt's are better than any logitech BS.

i don't need big thumping dancefloor bass
but i would at least like some bass
i just don't see how 2.0 bookshelf speakers can be better than 2.1

thanks m8
have a slag

Attached: hhnnnngggg.webm (480x640, 2.88M)

OP here
Let's just say if I were to buy an amplifier + bookshelf speakers...
...is that the road to obsession? Would I get sucked into the rabbit hole of audio autism, at the cost of lots of time and ridiculous amounts of money? Should I avoid that path?

Attached: 1563183749516.jpg (673x673, 43K)

Pretty much

and as you noted, you wont get as much bass impact with a 2.0 setup.

While the 2.0 setup will likely be better than the 2 main units of the 2.1 setup, if all you care about is casual listening and movies, it's more than fine.

If you're an avid listener of music and want a dedicated high quality music playback environment, then obviously you'll want something better than the logitechs.

Just depends what your priority is.

I'm still rocking my lepai 2020a+ and Dayton b652 speaker.

Is it still any good nowadays? Would the z623 be better?

>Is it still any good nowadays? Would the z623 be better?

It's fine for entry level.

Z623 would have a fair bit more bass since it's 2.1, but for everything else about the logitechs it's likely similar or slightly worse than the b652's.

It would be for casual music. But my concern about a modern cheap 2.1 system is build quality. Reading reviews and remembering many things I've heard and read in the past, apparently they don't make em like they used to. Same with other things like washing machines and TVs and farm equipment (lol). Decades ago, things were made to last. Now, they're made to break so people buy new things every few years. Like I'm reading all the Amazon reviews for the speakers I originally posted, and even for the 623, a not-insignificant number of people report how it broke either after a while or eventually. Like the wiring went kaputt on the inside, and everything is hard-wirded/cabled (is that the word? like the cables between the parts are non-removable), and basically every aspect of it is designed only to last 2-3 years, basically until just a little bit after the warranty runs out. 5 if you're lucky. Apparently it's how everything is made these days, disposable shit. I myself had a cheap 2.1 system some years ago. I didn't buy, a friend just gave them to me. Yeah they worked and were comfy, but eventually it got crackly, the wires started physically fraying, and eventually one of the sattelite speakers just died. After a few years.

So what I'm thinking right now is, buy cheap now, and have it die medium-term (or if I'm really unlucky, short-term), more electronics waste for the world, and buy another disposable replacement? Getting some use out of it but eventually have to throw it all away and start from scratch money-wise again...
...Or should I go the route of buying things to last, or that are at least repairable? Like get a good quality built to last Onkyo or Yamaha amp. And I'll keep that for life or whatever. And it's flexible, not closed-off like a 2.1 set, I can have whatever speaker setup I want with it, can chop and change for decades to come.

As you can probably tell I'm not very techy at all but I'm trying to learn.

Attached: 1564336422212.jpg (680x521, 74K)

i've been using my z623 since 2011, still going strong.

Attached: 2019-08-24 17_09_34.png (1804x248, 30K)

I have the set pictured and its fucking amazing for the value. Honest to god I have several friends that bought them as well after hearing mine. The base can shake the house and the speakers can deafen you while maintaining their audio quality.

Are there better systems? Of course there are. The sky is the limit when it comes to audio equipment but you won't find a better value for your dollar than those speakers.

Attached: giphy (13).gif (480x277, 941K)

ok that's encouraging. Maybe I will just go for it.
One reviewer in particular on amazon.co.uk gave it a bad review that really stood out.

>... the subwoofer discharges a nasty chemical smell (cheap internal hardware) each second the bass pounding air hits out.

Any truth to that in your experiences?

Attached: 1563040098215.png (1354x889, 94K)

I miss my Z5500s they were great and logitech hasn't made anything comparable since. My KRK RP5s have something wrong with them and need repair so for now I use Z323s which are fine for netflix in my room...

Just get some smaller cheap bookshelf speakers and a good chink amp

What's your price range? If no preference, Genelec G1/F1 combo is more than you'll ever need. Then again that'll get close to 1000 bongbux probably.

You can probably find a 6010a/5040a combo for half that price or less, and the only difference is literally a different light color and an EU regulation power saving mode if idle for a set period of time.

Attached: 5040_6010_setti_1012_281.jpg (398x321, 34K)

Never smelt anything. He likely has a shorted wire that was smoldering. I would buy them again tomorrow if mine got stolen. I was about to drop about half a grand on an amp and some bookshelf speakers when I saw the z623's online and saw all the good reviews so I stopped by the local best buy that had them on display and hooked up my phone and I was so impressed I bought them on the spot.

>2.1
Absolutely fucking thrash.
You get a subwoofer for "bass" low frequency and you get two little speakers for mid /high frequencies..
Just buy a decent 2.0 pair of speakers, even some edifiers r1000t will do the job.

Yeah Logitech audio dude

Attached: zd79qph7qsu01.jpg (561x738, 48K)

cool
Another thing some of the reviews are sayign is that the bass is too overpowering - even on a low setting they rumble too much, not good if you live in a flat (apartment).

True in your experience or not? If true, should I maybe look at the next model down instead?

Ideally not much mroe than 60-70 BongBux

I don't want mega bass, I'm not listening to party or rock music
But I want at least some bass, I don't want it totally anaemic. Right now I'm listening to music through my TV via Chromecast lol. What's the point of buying speakers if they also won't have any bass?

I read that Trust speakers do the same shit on some models

Attached: 1564590449430.png (755x708, 288K)

>even on a low setting they rumble too much, not good if you live in a flat (apartment).
It’s definitly not a wimpy base and it could easily drive your apartment neighbors crazy if you wanted it to. It does have its own dial so you can turn it down at the sub and you can always use an equalizer on your computer to remove those real low frequencies if it becomes that much of a problem.

had the same on creative t610. PC 'speakers' in general

I have the z623. Bass is good but the speakers are dogshit.

You DONT need a subwoofer. Get 2 good speakers and a way to power them. Micca is king for value for dollar.

Good 2.0 speakers is lightyears ahead of dogshit 2.1

except in bass, sure.

If you think a good 2.0 system can compete with even dog shit 2.1 bass, then you're fooling yourself.

The bass QUALITY might be better technically on the 2.0 setup, but the AMOUNT of bass you get with a dedicated sub is something you just can't ignore.

If you don't care about bass, then obviously a 2.0 setup is best.

>i dont want mega bass
Then dont get a subwoofer. Good speakers arent anemic in the bass department. Sony SS-cs5 are kings now.

>Bass is good but the speakers are dogshit
Going to have disagree hard with this one.

your logitechs are garbage lol

Attached: 1544114516415.jpg (454x558, 56K)

buy creative. i have accidently let them fall to the floor several times and they have never faulted in any way.

sorry for pajeet english

Attached: pdt-mhl-inspire-t6300.jpg (999x800, 67K)

sound great to me but then again i don't have my head firmly up my ass listening to FLACC files so i dunno.

looks like rebranded logitech

This poster is a liar and cannot be trusted.

>I cannot tell the difference between good and shit audio so please listen to my opinion

>All those replies implying muh "bass"
What are you ? Some retard who wants to listen muh rap songs mega sub bass beats mp3 128kbps?
Go ahead and do it, but don't annoy us and this board if you don't listen to our advices, 2.0 bookshelf is far superior.

Attached: 1543242794332.jpg (211x239, 5K)

OP here
shit, I'm so bad at deciding
I spend hours, on big things days, a whole week, deciding
then i finally make a decision
then the next morning i wake up and realized i fucked up
Anyone else like this?

Anyway, now I'm leaning to what towards what this user says
Do you guys agree or disagree with him? That good bookshelf speakers are good enough in the bass department?

For reference, I'm basically gonna be listening to j-pop/anime music (lol) in the mornings (it gives me energy for the day ahead, helps me get out of bed and shower and have breakfast and hurry the fuck up basically - pumps me up but in a fun way), and some slow mellow jazz in the evenings/nighttime when I want to wind down. So you can see that while I don't want it to be totaly anaemic, I don't really need party/rock/gayming/hollyjewmoviewatching amounts of bass.

Occasionally I might listen to somethign more serious/darker, like a soundtrack (e.g. back when I was doing regular cardio, I would listen to Metal Gear Solid sountracks when on the exercise bike) - but not often, maybe like 2 hours twice a week.

Will amp + 2.0 bookshelf speakers suffice for my regular (jpop + jazz) requirements?

Also, if I go the amp route, can I not customize and arrange as I want to? So like normally, just have the 2.0 speakers. But buy a separate subwoofer and twice a week, when I want some deeper rumbles, just plug it in and add it to the setup. Then when I'm done cycling and pretending I'm in an action thriller trying to escape from something, I can remove the subwoofer and go back to 2.0?

??? Sorry lads, so many questions, I really appreciate you helping me. You are my only frens...

Attached: 1564092984410.jpg (619x453, 47K)

To get decent bass from 2.0 you need alot of power from your amp, but yeah you can plug in a powered sub anytime you want. Im using the MICCA RB42s and they have decent bass for a 2.0 but need power cause they’re inefficient as fuck

Get this - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX
klipsch.com/products/klipsch-promedia-2-1-thx-certified-computer-speaker

Where do you live? In the US? Don't you have audio stores to test bookshelf speakers and listen for yourself?
You need to test thing (if you can) before buying stuff.
Look pal, if you really appreciate music listening as you said, my advice is you get a proper amp + 2.0 or 5.1 setup.
If you can't afford a new one, there lots of used vintage amps that will do the job.

Attached: 1559836551796.webm (480x600, 1.24M)

>Do you guys agree or disagree with him?
disagree. speakers have bass but that doesn't mean they can make up for missing a dedicated bass speaker. IMO buying a speaker system without a base speaker is like buying a three legged dog. sure it works but it's always going to be missing a major component. i'll tell you something that no one has brought up. if you're just listening to cd quality music through pandora or youtube then as long as the speakers aren't terrible there wont be that big of a difference. just like a pc can have bottlenecks, audio system can have bottlenecks too and it's almost always the quality of the audio file. unless you'r downloading and listening to lossless audio then spending more money on speakers isn't going to give you better results. i might be tempted to go with the klipsch system posted here but at nearly double the price of the z623's you have to ask; am i getting double the quality? definitely not so why spend the money for the klipsch name.

z623 ofc, it's not just about blasting potential, it's about having a bigger subwoofer and more pleasant bass, and build quality is much better

the z623's bass is so good right? it hits frequencies shockingly low for it's price point. i love doing bass tests with it.

thanks for the repsonses bros
with the Z623 I'm just worried abotu it being way too bass heavy
Some reviews are saying it overpowers so much that you have to turn it right down, btu when you do that you lose a lot of mids too, can't hear male voices in movies properly, etc. Basically a lot of reviews are sayign it's really unbalanced.
I'm sure it'd all be ok if I turned everythign up but then that would piss off the neighbours too much.

That's why I'm thinking of either going the amp + bookshelf + possibly even a dedicated sub (definitely a lot more expensive, but at least it's customisable and built to last and have finer controls and better quality)
or
Go down to one of the lower Logitech models, the 533 or the 333, where maybe the bass will be less overpowering?
So many Amazon reviews to read, I'm drowning, aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhh......

Bongland, London even, but I hate doing that, all shops like that are staffed by bastardcunts, they get really up your arse, and when you resist and they can telling you're not gonna buy then and there from them, or they can tell you're researcghing in their shop but will buy online elsewhere, they make it clear they want you to leave. Well, at least it was like that a decade ago with guitar shops and a massive sound store back when I was a guitarfag.
Plus I don't like going into central London unnecessarily, fucking paki terrorists everywhere, you never know when they'll strike.

Attached: 1562347520013.jpg (240x240, 8K)

Klipsch Promedia

>35Hz - 20KHz
These are specs, but they go under 35

>Some reviews are saying it overpowers so much that you have to turn it right down
I always keep them at 70% bass, sometimes lower (late at night) or turn up for movies (horror)
Listen, for 60 euros you can't get much better (I bought them for 100 btw). All speakers are unbalanced (i.e. HiFi, meaning some frequencies are enhanced compared to others, usually ~70hz for bass and 2khz for voice), if you want balanced/studio/linear stuff you're then entering 200+ euro territory.

Just buy it, you won't regret

Ok, sorry for calling you retard, it's banter.
I didn't spend a fortune to listen reasonable quality audio, I bought a Pioneer A30 amp + 2 vintage pioneer bookshelf speakers

holy fuck you can just turn down the bass!

Micca mb42x with their origain 250 and a dayton sub 1000. Turn the gain down and set the filter on the sub. Dont cope with shitty speakers

Logitech Z623 vs Edifier R1280T
youtube.com/watch?v=SnFKYfn_7GA

hmmmmm....

trying to record what speakers sound like then replaying that recording through another pair of speakers is dubious at best. as i actually own the z623 there was a MASSIVE difference in sound quality between what he recorded off the z623's and what i heard through my z623's when he cut back to the original track so i'm not sure this test is actually worth anything. what i he ar from my speakers when playing the original audio track is nothing like the recording he's playing. i'm sure the edifier is a better speaker but you still need a sub which will ultimately make them at least twice the price of the z623's.

No. I bought a lepai amp and mb42x speakers like 4 years ago and have never felt the need to upgrade. Just get bookshelf speakers, cheap subwoofers sound like dog shit.

this is my favorite test for speakers btw. plenty of lows, mids and highs to check for response

youtube.com/watch?v=D-h6MoF7HLA

Unironically OP's best budget option.

Easily

Personally I think good 2.0 > shitty 2.1, even if the bass is a bit weak. In my experience, going from a good 2.0 to 2.1 setup doesn't change that much in terms of what you HEAR, it changes more what you FEEL which is why people are always talking about "roomshaking bass." Subwoofers are IMO really only about adding a physical element to the listening experience.

I've been using a high-end 2.0 setup for years and have no issues with the amount of bass it puts out.

you only say that because you haven't had a good bass speaker in years. get one and watch how fast your opinion changes.

The true chad combo is 2.1 with largish bookshelves and literally any 10 inch sub that's worth a shit. if it's your computer audio setup that's fine. I have a pair of klipsch RP15ms, that I got for 150$, an older 80s sony receiver that I have literally never had a single issue with for 20$, and a sub I got for free cuz it came with the sub amp I bought for 50$. Sounds fuckin fantastic.

I have pic related. Pretty happy with em as a home theater solution.

Yeah but a decent subwoofer is around $200. Most people are not going to spend that much on their whole system let alone just a subwoofer. If someone is looking at $30 Logitech speakers they are way better off without one because at that point you're basically paying for a little box that rattles around and farts in your ears while you listen to your music

Find a pair of new-old stock Sony SSB1000's and go cop an old receiver from the local thrift store. Thank me later.

Attached: sony_ssb1000.jpg (640x480, 50K)

You can get really good shit that beats the hell out of entry level stuff for really cheap if you buy used. Check Craigslist.

Those speakers were $50 new and sound far better than their meager price would suggest.

But, if you can find a pair of 1st or 2nd gen Paradigm Atom's or something similar for $50 then, yeah, get 'em. I've had my pair of 1st Gen Atoms since I got 'em for the dorm room back in '93 and have no intention of giving them up.

I have Z623s and they sound good but the sub is ridiculous for what are essentially desktop speakers. I keep it well below 50% otherwise my apartment building neighbours would probably murder me. You need a bigger space if you want to really unleash it.

Z623 are absolute garbage. The crossover point between the sub & the satellites is so comically high that you hear all male voices coming from the sub on the floor, which is fucking infuriating.

I have the Z623s too, they're great for an inexpensive set of speakers that work out of the box. They have a bass knob on them so being too bass heavy can be resolved easily.

I've had them for about 4 years, moved house with them twice, moved desks 4 times, knocked them onto the floor dozens of times and kicked the shit out of the sub since it sat under my desk. Still as good as new.

I struggle with decision making like you do, I'd suggest you buy the Z623s if only to have something that's good while you spend a year trying to work out what you really want. I never felt the need to in the end.

Dear OP, just read pic and maybe you will understand the implications of why you will regret getting a cheap 2.1 system through it.
Also Jazz an Jazzpop dont need such shitty 2.1 bass to begin with.

Attached: 1358799733493.jpg (1440x3968, 1.2M)