My boomer parents just nuked their kitchen laptop with a split cup of coffee...

My boomer parents just nuked their kitchen laptop with a split cup of coffee. I'm going to replace it for them but I want to get them something with a gasketed keyboard to try and prevent the next spill from tanking the laptop. In trying to stay near the $500 mark but I can flex if it's worth the extra money. With every phone on the market being water resistant I was surprised to find that laptops are not following suit and that this feature is still not common. What is out there I can buy for them Jow Forums?

Attached: GettyImages-170036547-56a62b9b3df78cf7728bb33d.jpg (768x512, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/black-lenovo-thinkpad-p50-workstation/p/1TS-000E-0E7X1?Description=thinkpad p50 refurb&cm_re=thinkpad_p50_refurb-_-9SIA7RB9MT1439-_-Product
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:Models
amazon.com/Waterproof-Capacitive-Touchscreen-Monitor-Backlit/dp/B01ICKF4LY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Thinkpad

this, check out the video of louis water boarding his p52 and it still working (for another 6 months)

x230 of course.

>kitchen laptop
do people really do this

>kitchen laptop

Attached: 1561292972402.png (859x981, 793K)

>kitchen laptop
must be nice to be so rich you have a laptop designated for every room in your house. i bet the master bedroom laptop has some juicy videos of your mom.

How else are you supposed to check for recipies/ play cooking videos while cooking?

Why?

And check Facebook and read the news while eating breakfast in the morning which is its primary use.

See

>What is out there I can buy for them Jow Forums?
Dell Latitude E6420 XFR

Are all the thinkpads this robust? The p52 is speced well beyond what they need in a laptop.

most of the “work” ones are, stay away from the faggy ass carbons tho

Fuck no. I spilled far less coffee on my previous T410 than in OP's pic, trackpad and couple of keys were toast immediately. Some of the keys worked randomly and mouse cursor was moving around on its own. Toughbook might stand a chance, but it's massive.

Attached: 1566673574569.png (726x720, 72K)

you could buy an IP67 rated windows tablet and stick a KBM or trackpad keyboard on it.

>not having a laptop for every room in your house
yall niggas need to buy dirt cheap thinkpads more often.

I spilled a big glass of jack and coke on my Dell Studio 1458 and it still works. The keyboard doesn't but the rest does.

This, or anything that's a business-grade laptop.
Stay away from budget laptops--HP Pavilions, Toshitba Satellites, etc. They'll disintegrate within five years.

Here's a tip OP: if you "boomer parents" are too stupid to not mix laptops and food, maybe you shouldn't "get them one".

In other words OP - don't drink or prepare liquids near YOUR laptop and don't try to blame and infantalise your parents.

I like your mums bedroom laptop btw.

Attached: m02.jpg (1024x1536, 258K)

Clean your room bucko.

or actually just buy a normal windows tablet and put a case on it
since apparently there are only 8in tablets factory made to be ip67

/thread

I would go with a surface or tablet, spill on the keyboard and then just rip it off the tablet and replace for $40

then it did its job. it's designed to protect the actual computer and not the 20$ replaceable keyboard, though the keyboard can sometimes come out unharmed.

>and trackpad
that isn't part of the keyboard senpai

just get them a mac
you do love your parents, right user

those keyboards take five minutes to swap

They hate Apple because they thought Steve Jobs was a fag and they have a fag running their company now.

> small ass screen
> for older people

Moderately based "parents"

Attached: 11422744-3x2-940x627.jpg (940x627, 119K)

I could literally have a ThinkPad in every room of my house and it would set me back less than what it costs for one of your Macbooks.

>implying

Attached: costanza.jpg (200x200, 5K)

>kitchen laptop
Waht?

why is this blowing minds?

Attached: 1500578081716.gif (350x310, 1.92M)

Let me check my under-the-sink tablet for a second and I'll tell you.

what you got under there? can it fit next to my under-the-sink gun?

>no in drain onahole
And I only mixed it up with the Insinkerator twice.

whoops I thought he just said that the mouse was moving around by itself and I made the assumption that that was caused by the trackpoint. did not see that. my fault desu

but still, it is better than replacing a toast MB

kek

he got lucky as fuck. the old t400 series had a plate underneath the keyboard that caught water and sent it to drainholes which made them god teir. these days the water has direct access to circuitry when it gets under the keyboard as you can see in this screengrab. when you remove the p52 keybpoard there is direct access to pcb, batteries, hard drives, everything. it still has the drainholes but it still allows water to enter everywhere.

Attached: Capture1213.jpg (1908x1071, 165K)

I think I'm going to go with a refurbed Thinkpad P50s. It has an old gen processor but should be fine with what they are using it for as primarily a media consumption machine and occasional word processor.

newegg.com/black-lenovo-thinkpad-p50-workstation/p/1TS-000E-0E7X1?Description=thinkpad p50 refurb&cm_re=thinkpad_p50_refurb-_-9SIA7RB9MT1439-_-Product

Attached: A7RB_132076820305464371wmh3vcKJGv.jpg (1280x960, 62K)

my 2013 T550 has a metal plate with drain holes under the keyboard

ya lenovo just isn't making them like that anymore

>kitchen laptop
lol

>hdd
>6th gen i5
>8gb memory
>750 good boy points
holy shit guy, go look on ebay or something, my t550 with a 5th gen i5, ssd, and 3k touchscreen only ran me $330, your parents dont need a fuckin quadro

>but it still allows water to enter everywhere.
No it doesn't. There's no plate when you remove the keyboard because that plate is integrated into the keyboard assembly.

that i5 is a 2.4Ghz dual core. i will definitely look for a better price but that link gives everyone reference and a specsheet to look at.

i wouldnt get a P series if its just gonna be a netflix machine, P laptops are mobile workstations and are specced and priced accordingly

i know but because this thing is in the kitchen it gets moved around a bunch everyday and will take somewhat of a beating. they've already had a POS hp pavilion that had it's hinges disintegrate so i replaced it with a chromebook that they used for the last few years until the glass of water incident the other day. that worked well but my mom wants a real laptop again that runs windows because she's now on the board of our local finnish community center so this laptop will occasionally go with her to the board meetings. it doesn't have to be sexy, it just needs to be rugged enough to take some abuse and maybe a spill which it seems is exactly what the thinkpad is built to do. i'll spend the money, god knows they spent a hell of a lot more on me growing up

do what you want, man, but im just trying to let you know that you can get a durable, well put together thinkpad that will be able to handle whatever they want WITHOUT spending a bunch of money on a P series model
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:Models
i, and many others on here probably, would recommend the T series, which are, in fact, "real" laptops

A smart fridge, obviously!

the fact that you think it's overbuilt for what i want just makes me want it more honestly.

lol alright, but just remember that 90% of the price difference comes from the quadro (gpu), so your folks might not be able to utilize all those extra dollars at all

that's fine, i despise integrate graphics with an irrational hatred. just means i can sneak in a dota 2 game when i'm trapped at their house.

sounds good then

I bet you seething poorfags don't have bathroom laptops either lol

i legit have a tv in my bathroom

Unironically get them one of those Google nest hub things. They're cheap and look retard-proof.

You don't need a $500 laptop for boomers.

Look into used ~2010 business laptops. They tend to be pretty sturdy, specs are good enough for streaming video and anything else boomers need, and some are designed in such a way that keyboard spills are routed away from danger zones. They cost like $100-200.

What the fuck is a kitchen laptop?

Thinkpad. Elitebook. Zbook.

if your main goal is media consumption, then do what suggests. Thinkpads, despite their amazing build quality, have notoriously awful screens. Since you mention it's going to be moved around often, it being light and portable should be a feature you want. You can get one of the lower specced surfaces refurbed for like $300 (so long as you avoid the ones that use the locked down windows os)

use a tablet
hang it on the wall

an ipad.
an amazon fire 10"

>Since you mention it's going to be moved around often, it being light and portable should be a feature you want.
i agree. i didn't realize they were that cheap refurbed. might have to change directions and go this route.

I could have a shitbox parked in every suburb but i'd rather just drive something nice

well thats a pretty big fucking problem user

My r60 does.

Because it's a laptop, it's designed to be portable.

What the fuck is a kitchen laptop

Get any cheap tablet you want and an external sturdy tablet stand. Now get a clear minigrip bag and put the tablet in there. Now set the bagged tablet on the stand. You are now able to see the screen clearly and it's spillproof. If the bag eventually gets cloudy just replace it. This is what I have done and it works even in the shower.

>mom spilt the kid cuisine dipping sauce all over the kitchen laptop

Attached: c30.gif (540x404, 2.9M)

>spills boiling hot covfefe
I guess water resistance means also lava resistance, they are both fluids right?

>implying

>Kitchen laptop
Get a tablet?

Well your R60 might be from before they started making spillproof keyboards. That or it's a low-end piece of crap in the same vein as the L series.

>he fell for the tablet meme

Attached: wholesomeclownpeep.png (1623x1121, 313K)

>My boomer parents
you must be pretty old yourself considering 1964 was the last year of boomgen
kinda old to still be living at home ain’t ya m8?

How is it a meme? Tablet culture is almost dead thanks to smartphones on every corner...

oh that's fine then, as long as you don't want to do anything silly like type

Used Toughbook.

Who said I live at home? I mean I do live at home, my home.

have you thought about scrubbing the mobo with a toothbrush and ipa? its probably still good

thinkpad

Not worth the effort. It's a piece of shit Chromebook.

The smart way to do it, so you don't blow through computers, and risk data loss, is to use a monitor like this amazon.com/Waterproof-Capacitive-Touchscreen-Monitor-Backlit/dp/B01ICKF4LY with a thin client protected by a cabinet, which would then connect to a server that actually stores the data.

Jow Forums - Tech support and sales department

yes, but those boxes of shit are really good at being boxes of shit.
yours runs on the battery of a toy car and breaks when you look at it wrong, making you buy another

Pretty much this

i'm switching gears and looking at used surface pro 4 and 5 maybe a 6 if i can find a really good deal. i like that it's a fraction of the weight of a thinkpad, has a better display, much easier to move around, i can put a case on it and if someone spills another glass of liquid it might take out the detachable keyboard at the worst.

Attached: surface-pro-lte-lead-hero.jpg (1600x900, 223K)

I thought you wanted something durable and easy to fix user.

pics or it didn't happen

the case will make it durable enough and i'm willing to sacrifice repairability for being lightweight. i'm mostly trying to get them something that won't be taken out by an overturned glass. these folks are getting old and are not as sure handed as they once were.

That happens to me all the time too but it's semen and cumlube

Nice time dubs and quads

Listen, I have a ThinkPad L420 from 2011
I think in 2016, I was going through a really stressful time in my life, my brain was frazzled, and I knocked over and spilled an entire giant fatty coffee all over the keyboard
I'm talking
>4 scoops of coffee
>150ml of heavy cream, about 800 kcals worth
>the whole concoction filled a giant/oversized mug - basically double the capacity of a regular mug for tea/coffee
Knocked over the mug and the enitre contents, this piping hot and thick fatty liquid all over the keyboard
I was even slow to clean it up (tired at the time)
Took the battery out
Tried to absorb as much as I could with tissues
turned it upside down, hoping some would drip out
Not much did

And then here's the most retarded part
And I wouldn't have been this retarded before, and wouldn't be this retarded today
But like I said, my brain was frazzled, I was like a zombie in those days, was suffering from tremendous giref, plus insane new stress, plus poor health, PLUS was trying to lose weight (hence the keto coffee), so was in a constant calorie deficit and was super tried/cranky on top of it. I just couldn't think straight those days
...I brought out my hairdryer
And I started hairdrying the keyboard
On the highest heat setting
...Yeah. I know.
I mean even if the water could evaporate, there'd still be coffee residue AND all the fat still there. The fat couldn't evaporate.
AND...that's not even takign into account the damage I was doing by bowing that intense heat (after the hot coffee) into the laptop
I just wasn't thinking straight, I was a zombie retard
I just kept pointing the hot air stragiht at the keyboard trying to get the whole mixture to just evaporate
At least a good 2-4 minutes
I only stopped when I saw one of the keys was warping from the heat
I stopped, then realized I just fucked up on top of fucking up
I left it alone, but I thought that was it, I probably destroyed it
My thoughts turned to getting a new laptop

Attached: 1560966840300.jpg (793x786, 54K)

...After a couple of days I dared to turn it on again.
It turned on. Fine. It fucking survived.

Now not entirely. I think I definitely did do some damage. But not to the point of destorying it. I'm still using it today, I'm typing this on it as we speak, while it's still running Bloatnet 10 just fine.

The damage seems to have been that I messed up the cooling/fan process.
Since that day, the fan has never blown properly again. It's blowing but super duper weak, even when under load.
I even bought a new fan/heatsink unit from Ali and put it in, thinking maybe it was just the unit that was dmaaged. But no, the problem persists. Whatever governs the blowing intensity of the fan (is it some circuitry? I dunno), I seem to have permanently damaged that day. Oh and the warped Ctrl key.

But that's it. It's still usable. I've changed the thermal paste, and so normally it still runs cool, even if the fan doesn't blow properly. I don't do anything intensive anyway, just internets and office.

So yeah, this thing survived that. It's a fucking tank.
And this is a budget L420, not even the real thing (a T420).

And I still drink my mega fatty coffee in front of this thing every morning.

Attached: 1561311163819.jpg (600x400, 46K)

Drinking coffee is degenerate. Drink water.

t. mormon

>hot brown water is somehow degenerate