Type theorists BTFO

Type theorists BTFO

Attached: Starting-FORTH-Cover.jpg (975x1354, 323K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forth.com/starting-forth/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forth_(programming_language)
wiki.c2.com/?ForthLanguage
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>woman wishes she could code
>man actually does it
Based

I actually want to learn this, unironically. Might make a website using it.

Attached: 1547976153360.jpg (792x3437, 354K)

FORTH is the ultimate redpill, nothing is hidden. A proper FORTH gives you just a few things, a dictionary of a couple dozen words, an editor, an assembler, and the REPL and you're off and away.

If you look into how FORTH works you can see that a single person could bring one up with the core dictionary made in assembly for speed, in just a few weeks. Sadly gforth seems to rule the roost even though it's pretty weak and non-FORTHy at its core, being a mere c program.

To me the idea should be, run FORTH environment on your computer directly, don't run a C program running on another OS.

What's the benefit of FORTH when you can just to plain asm? Isn't asm faster, smaller and better?

there used to be a FORTH programming language, is this the same shit?

portability and allowing you to better solve a problem in its own terms rather than having to think about it in terms of the computer

Free!
forth.com/starting-forth/

Isn't FORTH mainly used in the embedded domain? There pretty much everything is unportable and speed and memory consumption is of paramount importance.

>There pretty much everything is unportable
utterly wrong
>and speed and memory consumption is of paramount importance
in certain cases a more understandable, maintainable or portable code base with minimal overhead can trump these considerations.

Forth has been used successfully in large, complex projects, while applications developed by competent, disciplined professionals have proven to be easily maintained on evolving hardware platforms over decades of use.[5] Forth has a niche both in astronomical and space applications.[6] Forth is still used today in many embedded systems (small computerized devices) because of its portability, efficient memory use, short development time, and fast execution speed. It has been implemented efficiently on modern RISC processors, and processors that use Forth as machine language have been produced.[7] Other uses of Forth include the Open Firmware boot ROMs used by Apple, IBM, Sun, and OLPC XO-1.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forth_(programming_language)

>i know nothing about programming
>i spend all my time on imageboards
>i have add and autism
>i will make a thread about an old language that almost nobody uses and that doesn't offer any real advantages, so i feel good about myself

Its really nice on the c64 also

>utterly wrong
Well MCUs are basically pin controllers, aren't they? Every pin has its own address, it's own modes (analog,input,output), their purposes can be changed and so on... All of that is arch-dependant.
To be exact I'm talking about 32kB flash MCUs.
Also, for every line of FORTH there's probably a million of C lines, which offers the same advantages of "understandable, maintainable, portable code base" plus speed, performance and familiarity.

>Well MCUs are basically pin controllers, aren't they?
I'm not even going to read the rest of this, you literally have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Cool argument bro

Factor is supposedly the modern reincarnation of Forth

By asm I take you're referring to the assembler, forth is a macro assembler on its own but you can go to a higher level if you wish to do so.
For example you can just make a word that compiles a mov to eax, its just a few bytes or on x86.

There's no real "modern" incarnation of forth, and if there was then it would be colorforth.
In fact, there is really no "forth" per se, since you can easily make your very own in less than 2k lines of asm, maybe if you're talking about ANSI forth then maybe there is a modern incarnation, but then Chuck Moore himself said that ANS is an abomination to the idea of forth.

Yeah but I love being a forthposter it makes me such a hipster

Wrong the best forth YOU can possibly use is one YOU wrote yourself.

program in postscript

no thanks, i'm ok with automatic register allocation

wiki.c2.com/?ForthLanguage
c2 wiki is a fucking treasure btw. but works poorly without JS

for some inexplicable reason ward decided to try to convert it to a single-page application using JS to load everything

it's annoying as fuck

is there some API to get plain html site? or any other format, I can write a converter if it's necessary

Forth fans, what do you think of factor?