Try switching from Code::Blocks to Visual Studio

>try switching from Code::Blocks to Visual Studio
>you can't even open your old projects with VS
jesus christ why is programming so fucking gay

Attached: 1545833401203.jpg (518x442, 76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

david.rothlis.net/c/compilation_model/
cmake.org/cmake-tutorial/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>codeblocks vegetable can't even use pajeet studio
figures

I just want something to deal with the libraries for me so I don't have to use CMake, Conan or other stuff like that.
I figured vcpkg is the best for that.

>IDE

Attached: 1554186466599.gif (800x800, 195K)

>implying you can program in C++ without an IDE
if there would be a simple way to do this I wouldn't bother with IDE but I actually want to use libraries sorry

Of course you can
Check out some Bisqwit's videos, he uses JOE just fine

does he write his own Make files?
I wouldn't even know where to start without an IDE

yeah i should write java projects with notepad.exe

Don't know for sure but looking at his GitHub it seems that the makefiles are generated

>c++
found your problem, shit like this doesnt happen with python, a practical and functional language
lmaoing at the c-lets who are busy sniffing their own farts in bliss about perceived "supremacy"

Attached: before_after.jpg (1920x2159, 256K)

I just wanted to make simple 3D games, C++ seemed like the best language for it

"wrong"
fucking around with libary s and getting the proper dll for your code to work can be a major shitshow of a headache.
dont even think about using c++, try c# with unity and plugins in VS or just use python (pygame, opencl, ... choose your thing).
reminder that blender that blender is mostly written in python.

Every clueless fucker thinking he'll write a 3d game without engine will an hero by the time he has to write animation system (90% don't even get there).
Good fucking luck.

>using python, Baby's First Language
Poor kid.

its easy, it works, even a baboon would be able to get results with it.
exactly what someone like op needs and wants.
also not an arguement

Attached: trolel.gif (500x374, 167K)

yeah I can see it now
I guess I will just go with Unity, I had very pleasant expierence with it
well the guy who made Kenshi inspired me to try but I'm too stupid for it

just use any build system like cmake, meson, even makefiles aren't that hard really. Just write one that recursively globs your files and calls your compiler.

I don't know how to do it and my head hurts just from thinking about all that work just to make a fucking library properly work
I will just go with Unity

... or ninja for speed. this is poor advice, since for normies this process is hard and frustrating.

Unity is spyware that spies not only on you but people who play your game.

I'm not a normie, I'm just dumb
funny because people always think that because I'm ugly, fat and have no friends I must be a genius but in reality my IQ is probably below average

well I don't have any other choice I just want to try to make a game

The absolute state of Jow Forums. Learn to use a compiler before resorting to build systems and IDEs to hold your hand. It's really not that hard.

Pathetic

>bawww C++ is too hard
>bawww this
>bawww that
>i don't have a choice
You're not cut out to be a programmer, kid. Just play your shit videogames and flip burgers, youj'll be happier.

(citaion needed)

you are not knowledgable about 3d engines gaphics, this is what counts and is the important detail here.
try unity on c# first opie, VS really shines when using c#.
if you still struggle, then switch over to python and pick an engine / library that is extensively documented.
you will be able to do your game in python guaranteed, for there is usually documentation and support.

Attached: proofster.png (277x271, 8K)

Not using an IDE is the actual onion thing, if anything IDEs are corporate, they are not onion at all.

I just wanted to write code not learn about how compiler works. what else should I learn how CPUs are manufactured?

You don't have to know how a compiler works, but you should know how to use it.

I tried compliling with commands and every time the stupid thing shits itself

Compilation is part of programming in a compiled language. It is retarded that an entire generation of people have not learned this.

use python, no compiler anymore !
reduces the struggle for newbies significantly (assuming you have installed the required packages via pip)

What the fuck is difficult about an animation system? You just interpolate the bone matrices linearly, because fuck normalization it looks good enough if you don't cheap out on keyframes.

I may try ninja for personal projects, but make seems like the standard.

IntelliJ Idea and Gradle, it's literally all you need. Retards who bought anons epic trole memes will never experience a current year programming experience.

IDEs are fine if you know what they're doing and how to use them. If someone is having trouble with what OP is trying to do then they shouldn't be using an IDE not because they're bad, but because they obviously lack experience in software dev itself.

Nothing, but most people are completely clueless about it, not to mention IK. Also they think they can slap everything their pirated maya supports and then wonder why their blendshapes don't work after exporting to obj.
Just fbx support is a major pain in the ass, despite there not being anything difficult about it.
You write your 3d game from scratch and you'll spend a year just building tooling shit.

Visual Studio community edition has everything you need and is completely free.

make is old, ninja is fancy new stuff
also nice quads my dude
>IntelliJ Idea and Gradle, it's literally all you need
for building android apps maybe
or just use PYTHON with pycharm and never look back to anything

>you'll spend a year just building tooling shit.
what do you mean exactly?

/thread

>make is old, ninja is fancy new stuff
that's what I gathered.

Actually yes, having a good understanding of how cache and memory storage works can go a long way for writing efficient code.

Asset pipeline, editor, build system, profiling, anything that's not your game.

You are an idiot brah. Obviously you can't use Python for all projects. C++ has its use.

The stupid thing in the process is definitely not the compiler. If you posted what are you trying to build and what the problem is you would surely get some help, but crying about "muh compilers and build systems are stupid because I can't use them" is not going to get you anywhere.

I use opencv and dlib and I don't use an IDE.

I use cmake, it's how the author of dlib recommended using his library.

>try c#
microsoft shill, please, go.
>python
brainlet, please, go

Using build systems and build system generators doesn't mean that you can't understand how to use the compiler directly. It's really better to have a build system for long term projects. I use the compiler or makefiles for one-off scripts and cmake for big projects.

Obviously, but if you don't learn at least the basics of compiling yourself then you will be fucked like OP because there is a gaping hole in your awareness of the language

Agreed. Python is certainly a useful language, and I use the python interpreter in one C++ program of mine. But the idea that it can completely replace languages that compile to native code is patently absurd. Even CPython is written in, well, C.

>what is a language server

I never said that using a build system or an IDE is a bad thing, I'm just saying that you should know how to get by without them. I know "programmers" that couldn't write and compile a hello world if you took their IDE from them.

alright guys if you insist on programming without IDE then give me some guides or other resources on how to set up a simple project and successfully compile it

david.rothlis.net/c/compilation_model/
cmake.org/cmake-tutorial/

I don't want to use CMake

I use emacs to program C++ professionally :thinking::thinking::thinking:

The first article isn't about cmake

If you want to make 3D games, stick to C++. Although you might want to try using a pre-existing engine. Depending on how much of an engine you want, creating your own might take a very long time.

Without any build system
g++ -o program file1.cc file2.cc file3.cc ...

For projects you might want to atleast use make so you don't have to recompile everything every time.

>reminder that blender that blender is mostly written in python.
According to the Github mirror, it's only 5.8% python. The rest is C and C++.

Look, it all depends on what your goal is. If your goal is to learn the skills needed for for hardcore, AAA, professional game development, then you're going to need C++, openGL/Vulkan, etc. But that's probably not what most people are trying to do.

... or OP in this case, which is the whole point.

>try switching from hummer to fiat 500
>engine doesn't fit
jesus christ why are cars so fucking gay?

OP btfo

Attached: hehe2.jpg (492x388, 39K)

Solution: spend an hour or two making an .obj exporter/importer that supports all your shit. Nothing superior to plain text have been invented this far.

>obj
that's how you signal you've never worked on a game before
you won't have any animations with obj

I can have whatever I want with obj, retard.

Endless usefulness of having a fucking extendable text format notwithstanding, baking animations into the model file is retarded, the same way as is baking textures into it. It creates all sorts of problems with actually using the models and animations in any scenario more complicated than verbatim model import and rendering.

ok, let's see your obj exporter/importer in hour or two that supports ik chains, rigs, animations and blendshapes for starters, as this is roughly 2008 workflow realistic for an amateur gaym

It happens when switching from any editors which enforce project structures or formats that are incompatible regardless of language.

for each ik chain print "ik" dump data points
foreach line if linetag == "ik" load data points

The shit is trivial, and that's by design.

All these boomers not embracing the superior vscode.

Just upgrade to a language like rust, where shit like build system and filesystem structure are forced on you for the most part. C++ had 10 different ways to skin the cat, and they all suck.

>completely free
>is literally nonfree and has a license that requires you to pay gibs if you make a certain number of revenue from software sales.

Ok kid.

>telemetry code
>for c++

Literally any editor can have the same experience using cmake exported compile_commands.json and clangd.

Bisqwit just writes dumb hobbyist shit.

I write java in vim and it's easy, just stop being so gay

github link, time's ticking

Nigger, if you seriously have any trouble just saving and loading data using a text file, you have no business in programming.

Attached: 1435987495302.png (250x191, 61K)

writing hello world in any language with any editor is easy, except maybe brainfuck

You only need automatically generated hints if the documentation is an absolute dogshit or does not exist altogether, AND when there's no design and architecture written down before the actual coding started. Which is the level of a hello world project, so your argument isn't very strong.

Nigger, if you think you can just slap some features on obj and support modern workflow, you're just a hobbyist stuck in 2005 and it's very apparent you haven't tried it.
It's much easier to just bite the bullet and write fbx library. Let me know when your obj can do the few listed features, couple studios would be interested.

how microdick even knows if the software was created using Visual Studio?

Pretty trivially since the whole visual c++ toolchain is effectively the same license and a simple decompule could show the MS inlined code.

Bug difference from mingw and vc++ toolchains and visual studio only works with vc.

>CMake
How did this get so popular so quickly? I legit want to know what is great about it. Even the tutorial feels clunky when I tried it.

Attached: 1429385613191.jpg (640x852, 58K)

>python
Using FOSS Visual Basic is fine until your project has to scale. Hope you aren't paying for compute time.

Attached: 1444684461745.jpg (463x477, 213K)

it's the only way for bigger projects

Because cmake can generate project files, which is more important on windows and mac where you usually want a visual studio project and on mac you want an xcode project.

Using libraries is easier without an ide, if you want to make the compilation work cross platform and other users machines. If you look at all real c++ projects, there are manually written with a text-based build system suck as cmake, meson, make, premake, bazel/gn (google, facebook). This is pretty much the case with all programming languages, even simple ones such as javascript.

What about premake? What makes CMake so good it can't be done by premake?

I started using it because a library I needed only gave instructions for using the library via cmake

I am in shittiest CS program possible in thirdworld country, yet they teach vim/gcc in first few months

You have been visited by the Laura of horrible cereal noises.

YOU HAVE TO B-BUMP THE THREAD! It's c-coming, don't you understand?! It's c-coming! And if you haven't b-bumped the thread by the time it gets here, the thread is going to D-DIE!

Attached: Laura.jpg (634x478, 74K)