heh... nothin personnel VScode...

Attached: emacs.png (1024x1024, 153K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Lexical-Binding.html
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/72356608/#72356608
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>using vagina surgery code
lol

The one thing I'm jelly is that emacs can't jump to definition by itself. There's gnu general with gtags but I have to set it up manually.
My colleagues with vscode can do this effortlessly

Except on Windows where Emacs struggles with pathnames containing non-ascii symbols. Or maybe there's some weird configuration setting that you need to set, who the fuck knows.

I was about to ask why Jow Forums didn't gave more love to Emacs before, then I remembered how much Vim was shilled, so much I fell for that shit for a long time when I can just have vi keys in Emacs and then I discovered Emacs is actually less bloated than Vim. Nobody is immune to propaganda I guess.

>have to learn elisp and it's retarded scoping rules
>GUI can't highlight text until end of line
>cell based display means you can't display indent levels either without using ugly blocks characters
>multi-mode in a single buffer is broken
>can't make the cursor show up in another frame showing the same buffer
>""""better"""" customization

Let's look at what you've written here, shall we?

>have to learn elisp and it's retarded scoping rules
literally same scope as any other language. () is closure
>GUI can't highlight text until end of line
^+SPACE END
>cell based display means you can't display indent levels either without using ugly blocks characters
>multi-mode in a single buffer is broken
>can't make the cursor show up in another frame showing the same buffer
*incoherent ramblings* (simply not true)
>""""better"""" customization
true, you can adjust it any way you like

>developing on windows
non-ascii pathnames are the least of your problems famalam

>Emacs is actually less bloated than Vim
Nah not really, Neovim is great and ultra lightweight even with all the plugins that you'd need for modern development.

>>better keybindings than VScode
You are talking about evil-mode, right?

>literally same scope as any other language.
elisp doesn't have lexical scope

>^+SPACE END
Press the down arrow.
I'm talking about highlighting selection across multiple lines. Emacs highlights the whole line even when there's nothing actually written.

>n-not tru!!! incoherent!!1
I guess I was wrong for the indent characters, but the other points still stand:
>multi-mode
Open org-mode and declare a C struct in a source block, most of the time, indent won't work as intended.
>inconsistent cursor across frames
In Emacs, each frame has it's own cursor, each frame is a view of a buffer, but weirdly enough, a cursor cannot be shared between frames, or a frame cannot show every cursor from every other frame that are viewing the buffer.

>The one thing I'm jelly is that emacs can't jump to definition by itself. There's gnu general with gtags but I have to set it up manually.
>My colleagues with vscode can do this effortlessly
only because you're probably working in a JS/TS project. try doing that, without any additional extensions, in a Ruby project

>pathnames containing non-ascii symbols
stop using non-ascii symbols in pathnames

>>no botnet, VScode has turbo botnet
VSCodium already exists

No, we are talking about developing your own keybinding system. Using someone else's is for brainlets.

>not supporting basic features in current year

Attached: 1_.jpg (501x434, 61K)

evil-mode + SPC leader tree is god tier

VScodium has botnet. As soon as you open up Extensions, you are locked in to telemetry, the same as regular VScode.

gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Lexical-Binding.html
but it has

>Press the down arrow.
It seems that I don't understand what you are trying to achieve. Just hit v, then select the characters with navigation buttons.
>multi-mode
This is a specific compatibility issue, most of the times modes are supposed to work together well just work. Have you enabled C minor mode? Have you tried to use orgstruct mode instead?
>cursors
I don't see a usecase for this. It's more handy to have a two windows (not frames) where you can look at line 2 in the first window, where you have definitions of a var, and at line 999 in the second window, where you refer to the var.

Just out of curiosity, what editor do you use instead?

found the Cnile

Nah not really, vanilla neovim is more bloated than emacs with 10 more packages, you just are not counting dependencies

dependencies aren't necessarily bloat

It depends on the modes usually.
Thankfully with the advent of LSP, any language worth a shit will do this if you have lsp-mode installed.

I am using org mode to learn Japanese! In my opinion the built-in IME Kanji suggestions is a bit poor compared to ones that come bundled with an operating system but that can oftentimes mean I have an excuse to recall Kun readings as well. Does anyone have an opinion on which key is a good alternative for the ctrl command (I've heard caps lock or right alt under spacebar)? Another alternative would be to invest in a Japanese keyboard so I can do both better.

yeah but if only you could program microsoft with it

Attached: 1566571640991.png (348x329, 169K)

use
lsp
mode

it's not only emacs that struggles with stupid winblows limitations on pathnames (and other things). If you are stuck on windows development (like me, automotive industry where everyone is boomer-locked into winblows) just use sane folder naming and you are good to go.
I have come to enjoy the powershell and got pretty comfortable with my windows workflow, so meh.

Where can I learn to use it?

read the OP of the last /geg/ thread
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/72356608/#72356608

Thanks

easiest way to get emacs but with vim's far superior binds?

evil-mode + evil-collection

DOOM Emacs

FtM transition.