Router Thread

Router thread, what are you working with Jow Forums?

Pic related, best hardware I've gotten for free from my ISP.

Attached: Wave2Router.jpg (2048x2048, 488K)

Other urls found in this thread:

community.ui.com/questions/INSTRUCTIONS-Bypass-ATT-Fiber-Residential-Gateway-with-a-USG/2d8b1559-4623-40bb-9aae-af0348dd39a8#answer/5817894b-5d75-422a-aff5-eeca825eb0e0
openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/ubiquiti_edgerouter_x_er-x_ka
forum.openwrt.org/t/ubiquiti-edgerouter-x-loading-openwrt-and-performance-numbers/27470
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just a tplink running stock because I stopped caring a long time ago. Used to have pfsense and openwrt access points but I got bored of the hassle.

>posting you're ip

hacking in progress...

BEC 7800TN R2 because I don't give enough of a fuck to get anything better.

funny guy

I use the G1100 my ISP provides though I bought it instead of renting it.

ARRIS BGW210-700 for ATT Fiber. It does nothing but authentic with ISP, everything else is passed through to my USG Pro.

Lol, posting your ip, time to ddos it you dumba-

do you have it set up like this community.ui.com/questions/INSTRUCTIONS-Bypass-ATT-Fiber-Residential-Gateway-with-a-USG/2d8b1559-4623-40bb-9aae-af0348dd39a8#answer/5817894b-5d75-422a-aff5-eeca825eb0e0 where it's actually bypassing the gateway or just running the USG behind it?
I have the same Arris box for AT&T fiber, just running pfsense behind it but having the gateway in front of it sucks ass

Nope, just the normal IP passthrough mode in firewall settings. Haven't had any issues, the USG holds the public IP and serves as the primary gateway no problem. The BGW is basically invisible to the internal network, I threw it on it's own subnet.

>192.168.1.1
YOU JUST DOXED UR IP YOU FOOL!

ENJOY MY PACKET STREAM IN 1 MINUTE BITCH BOYYYYY

Router is an Apple Airport Extreme
Its okay
Never broken down/needed a reboot
Unlike our last piece of shit D-Link 655 or some shit that needed nightly reboots

Network is:

100Mb/s Fibre- Apple Airport Extreme wired to Netgear GS108
- PS3/4, 2x Apple Airport Express, Intel NUC, TP-Link powerline
- Netgear GS105 - PS3, PS2, Desktop

Attached: SP679_us.png (1510x1098, 174K)

Is it free? Spectrum wanted to charge me $5 a month for the router they included in the box. But I returned it an used an old router I had lying around.

an old i5 board (which was once my gaming machine) running Debian. I used to run pfsense but I didn't much like that I just knew how to click on things in a web interface instead of knowing what was actually going on, so I went and set everything up myself. Has an nftables firewall, dnsmasq for DHCP and DNS (proxied to Unbound, since Unbound will do DNS-over-TLS) and a hostapd access point. It's about 10 times as powerful as it needs to be for the job it does, but I like it. inb4 someone bitches that I'm wasting like fifteen whole dollars a year in electricity by not using some embedded ARM thing.

Nighthawk X6 AC3200. Gets the job done for now. Considering a netgear Orbi for the new house

Attached: 7201035_sd.jpg (550x147, 15K)

>posting ip address online
>also post user and password
You are the dumbest person I've ever seen

Pull wire and use real APs instead.

got a new router and broke the wan port by shoving a DSL cable in there like a retard

>default user/pass is admin/admin
Jesus H christ

Attached: cap_[HorribleSubs] Comic Girls - 06 [720p]_00:03:47_03.jpg (1280x720, 114K)

>Ever posting my IP on a South African AIDS enthusiast forum
>Ever posting my IP anywhere, much less pictures of the interior of my home

Enjoy DDoS'ing the fuck out of some reddit fag, idiots.

Attached: The_Game.gif (280x153, 446K)

ssh admin:[email protected]
ur fucked kid

most routers have retarded default logins

>Not reverse image searching something you see online before probing it with your own connection

I should really set up a honeypot trap for you fucking retards.

Attached: 1390307754871 (2018_01_12 08_41_22 UTC).gif (245x250, 1.12M)

Got some shitty cable router from vodafone, but I use a pc engine apu board behind it as the actual router. Has 3 ethernet ports, 4 GB RAM, and a low power quad core. I have linux with iptables, bind9 and dhcpd running on it. Never have to restart it, no technical problems, it really cuts down on the number of times I have to call tech support. Just a rock solid headless alpine linux install, that completely erases all changes if I ever do restart it, so it just werks.

Is this sarcasm, I can't tell

weak b8

Running an older dell workstation with firehol and dnsmasq installed. Ive got some aps coming. Might reinstall and put pfsense

I have the same IP!

Fucking based
Virgin Media Hub 3 in modem mode hooked through to the Netgear.
385 down, 40 up.
2.4 and 2 5Ghz networks, plus a 2.4ghz guest network.

Attached: 7D6DE19D-16EA-4AF0-B22B-6F1AC4EAFCAC.jpg (3024x2364, 1.29M)

For me, it's the HP T620 Plus with pfsense.

Attached: HP-T620-Plus-Thin-Client-Front-and-Rear[1].jpg (800x548, 48K)

rate my toys user

Attached: 1.jpg (4128x3096, 3.12M)

asa 5500 + aironet ap1142n

It's not, this isn't my router. I'm either too lazy or not nearly stupid enough to take a picture of my router or interior. It's just better to rip a pic off of Reddit. Why put myself in danger? It's not my fault that this retard didn't protect himself, but you guys can do whatever, doesn't affect me.

Attached: 1476785685360 (2018_01_12 08_41_22 UTC).png (401x367, 8K)

I think you're actually that reddirt person and you're now realizing what a dumbass you are

I think you're the reddit person.

>Motorola MB8600+ASUS RT AC66U B1

I have a 1Gbps plan, but my router cucks me to about half of that when connected via wifi.

Attached: 1550247338404.jpg (249x231, 21K)

Disable any smart connect settings/load balancing you have.
Disable QoS.
If it’s a tri-band router, connect to band 100 or above. They’re the most unused.
If it’s dual band, try 48 or 52.
Connect to your 5Ghz SSID manually.

You’re welcome

all this wi-fi fucking around when gigabit ethernet is "plug it in and it just werks" and has been for like fifteen years.

Thanks, but I've already tried everything. It's using Merlin firmware, has everything unnecessary disabled, has HW acceleration enabled. Channel 36 at 80MHz gives me the best speed (480Mbps); which is still half of what I get with a wired connection. NAT acceleration is on, so the only difference is that the traffic doesn't get to bypass to router's CPU when connected to wifi.

It's my fault for buying a cheap, slow router.

Attached: 1558069173674.jpg (826x720, 40K)

> tfw bricked my Archer C7 and tftp doesn't work
Wat fucking do, lads? I don't know how to "serial console".

I've got an orbi mesh system.

shit is stable as fuck, hasn't been down once in the last 8 months and everything just werks

You're literally a retard. Learn local ip vs public ip before you come back here.

i use a Fritz!Box 7590

consider yourself hacked ;)

Try not living in your tiny shoebox house.
Let us know when you have more than 3 bedroom and a kitchen diner lmao.

Yeah that sucks.
My NG AC3200 works really well for me.
Sorry I couldn’t help.

do you have 3x3 devices, retard?

I've got an Asus AC68U. Handles my 1Gbps connection perfectly well and WiFi range is decent enough across my entire place, though 5GHz gets kind of spotty if I'm on the opposite side of the house. 2.4GHz reaches just fine though.

500Mbps should be more than fine for WiFi shit. WiFi is only for portable devices which you move around a lot, those usually don't need more than 500Mbps.

One of those all in one modem/router/switch/wi-fi units. ISP provided. It works. Just use a single switch port though. To connect to my trendnet all metal switch that carries the bulk of my traffic.

If the modem shats oh well. At most I'll lose net access (I use static IP for wired devices)

holy shit user, I was looking for this picture of lain everywhere. i though it was lost deep in a russian chan archive, thank you..

Qotom mini PC running pfSense for my router which is attached to a DD-WRT router for wireless AP

>get new router
>get my ppoe config from ISP
>login and password are generated in a way that lets you deduce them instantly as long as you know the name of the person and house number
why

Running an ER-8 for cable and 4 unifi AP AC lite because it's much more fucking solid then consumer shit.

Can't fucking wait to get rid of that HP switch though it's fans are satan incarnate and I need to replace the ER-8's fans with some noctua ones.

Attached: Fan Noises intensify.jpg (5312x2988, 1.6M)

Also excuse the spagguete I'm actually going to start rewiring houses tomorrow and removing old cable hence why the keystones are vacant.

anyone knows a cheap (

This bad boy

Attached: 1606_l.jpg (800x519, 30K)

>local ip

I'm a legacy Charter customer and all they've offered me is an Arris modem, which I have going into an Asus RT-AC56U. Had to move the router out to my living room after some rats in my shitty rental ate the cables in the attic, so now my main PC is on wireless instead of wired. Feelsbadman.

At 200€ you can probably get a smaller edgerouter which can do that no bullshit needed.

And uninronically said edgerouter can do openwrt.

openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/ubiquiti_edgerouter_x_er-x_ka

britbong here, wanna start getting into home server stuff etc. before that i wanna sort out my network. should i go new modem+router as separate units or just buy a new single unit modem router (which is much easier in the uk)

babbys first

Attached: IMG_20190825_170033.jpg (1361x1814, 115K)

1gbit wan to lan without hwnat ? because openwrt doesn't support it.

i was looking at microtik routers, but as soon as you run them in routing mode with firewall rules the throughput drops way below 1 gbit

forum.openwrt.org/t/ubiquiti-edgerouter-x-loading-openwrt-and-performance-numbers/27470

You tell me.

Separate may be marginally cheaper for the same features and give you a little more freedom for the price. Together is easier to deal with but you may pay a little premium for the privilege for equivalent features compared to seperate ones.

Really depends. I would say get them together if you can and if you have access to flash the firmware.

You might wanna keep your router away from your modem for security and sanity reasons.

Intel i5-8600T
OpenBSD 6.6
Insane overkill for my 1Gbit uplink

Attached: 20190823_185116.jpg (4032x3024, 2.84M)

thanks for the info guys, i’ll have a proper read before i decide

Which quad-port NIC is that?

Router PCs add tons of extra latency over a proper router. The ASICs used in routers are much more streamlined.

No him.
Depends on the config really...while ASICs are very streamlined more often the naught they can behave even worse then the PC's specially in the consumer area because they are really easy to bottleneck on the firewall side of things.

How much is "a lot" when measured in ms?

Intel I350-T4

These. 86 is main and 68 is AP.

Attached: asus-rt-ac86u-and-rt-ac68u-1-570x310.jpg (570x310, 20K)

oh shit how do I delete this dont hack me my dude

Attached: .jpg (3000x4000, 2.46M)

Depends on the configuration , personally in my experience it added around 10 miliseconds of lag on a network with +100 devices with a very restrictive adaptive firewall running on the PC with trafic shapping.

Well, that's not the sort of scenario most people would run in their homes. How about in a typical home network with only maybe 10 devices?

Likely a good 4-5ms. There are still a lot of "fixed time functions" that are hard or impossible to get around. You'll also still want traffic shaping which by itself adds 1 or 2 ms on top of that regardless. The firewall is optional but still desired imo and it too adds a little "fixed time" to routing depending on how many rules you have.

I've never used or had any reason to want traffic shaping at home.

>Using ISP provided equipment

Nigger what? Buy a Surfboard

Custom router
Hardware: Protectli FW1
Firmware: pfSense 2.4.4 p3
WiFi is a separate Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC Pro

Attached: pfsense logo.jpg (620x348, 25K)

Trust me when I say you always want traffic shaping if you live in a house with more then one person unless you want complaints to be had around.

I do live in a house with more than one person. There have never been any complaints because there's nothing to complain about.

>>Try not living in your tiny shoebox house.
if you're so desperate to show others that you're not a poorfag and plunked down hundreds of thousands on a McMansion, then you can obviously afford the money to have a couple of contractors in to run cables in the walls. Shit, run some fiber, too, while you're at it, obviously you can afford 10-gigabit, since, you know, you're so wealthy and so eager for everyone else to know about it. Wi-fi is what poorfags do, after all, not like they can afford anything more than just one router.

You sound like having any wealth infuriates you. Does your mommy know you went to the Portland rally last weekend, you wannabe commie?

Attached: 1512585078861.png (339x276, 100K)

wait...... bro....... you don't use a pfsense router as the gateway for your home network?

Attached: b.png (750x1024, 264K)

Are you pretending you own your own large house yet somehow cannot run a fucking cable through your own property or cannot pay somebody to do it for you, or even better yet that you were so retarded that you haven't had your entire house properly wired up for networking already?

Cisco Meraki that I got for free

DWR‑921
My house is not currently recognized as existing by any ISP, so I need to use a mobile connection. It's surprisingly not that bad for a few people, but it crashes occasionally.

Attached: dwr921c1image-lfront.png (850x802, 183K)

>For me, it's the HP T620 Plus with pfsense.
Same here, its awesome

Did they take old Xbox 360s and slap a spectrum sticker on it?

I got whatever the one with the AC and 2TB drive in it is from my friend for $20 because he was moving. Works great never once had to reboot it.

Put on birdged and get a real edge appliance!

Mikrotik CCR-1009-8G-1S-1S+

Attached: mikrotik ccr.png (1200x264, 298K)

Just bridge that piece of shit over to an actually good router.

Found a TP-Link Archer C5 AC1200 at a Goodwill the other day, still shrink-wrapped and everything. Immediately flashed OpenWRT when I brought it home. Was $25.

Attached: 675675.png (2502x1274, 1.57M)

Too late. Im am already holding your'e mom hostage.

absolutley based

I use pic related running vyos.
Never breaks a sweat.

Attached: WO-DELL_3010_SFF_AV-1.jpg (1000x1000, 95K)

nice reddit rack

Anybody?