Arch Linux

Break it to me Jow Forums.
Is it worth it installing Arch?

Attached: flat,550x550,075,f.u2.jpg (454x550, 32K)

no

how come what trouble is it to install?
I want to know why its really tedious and difficult or if I should just opt for something like a pre installed distro such as Manjaro

/thread

>Should I pay someone to build my house or build it myself?
There's nothing special about arch apart from it containing bare minimum amount of packages by default. Although pacman is pretty convenient, so it's worth it if you already have preferences for all the software that you plan to install.

I plan on using arch for programming and overall convenience over web based things. so i would be using windows for vidya and start to use linux more.
also for
>meh rice set up

If you want to learn, then it's worth it. If you want a functional operating system then it's not. Its absolutely a waste of time unless you know exactly what you want and how to get it up and running.

Yes I want to learn, so is it worth it?
what should I learn prior into getting into arch?

In that case it's not worth it at all. I'd recommend installing a riceable WM/DE if you just wanna rice (Manjaro is pretty good desu)

There's nothing i can tell you to learn. It's like riding a bike, you learn what you don't know as you go. It'll give you a pretty good basic understanding of how to go from a CLI environment to a fully functional modern OS, but it's incredibly tedious the first time.

You could learn the basics of setting up a linux system by installing arch, but I wouldn’t recommend using it as a daily driver. Plus, updates can be larger than a gigabyte if you want a modern web browser and a full fledged desktop environment. It all comes down to personal preference though, you might want to keep using arch, or go back to ubuntu, and either choice is absolutely fine as long as it suits your needs.

All memes aside, I did learn a bit of Linux/Unix after installing and using Arch for a while.
After you get that knowledge, you should be good to go back to Debian or Fedora so you can enjoy great, stable, supported distros that just work, while also knowing how to do the tweaks and customization that you want to do on top of it.

fpbp

It's really not hard to install. Just have to partition your drives manually. Other than that I don't really remember doing much. (Also I always partition my drives manually, even on ez distros)

Thanks, I really want to learn more about linux and over all Jow Forums.
no need to partition a disk if i have a separate HD for linux?

As a first disto, god no.

After you been around that your doing tiling wms and stopped dual booting so the latest and greatest proton and litrus need to work.

On a basic level if you don't know what crtl alt f# does and don't feel comfortable using it; arch is a bad bad idea

That's exactly what i got out of it. I realized that Distros are essentially just GNU+Linux with (if you're lucky) a wide array of DE's. The only difference being is that Arch doesn't have an installer out of the box so it can be tedious if you wanna fuck around with partitions.
Other than that you could do a minimal install of Ubuntu and achieve the same result if you were so inclined.

Well I'd like to fuck around with it anyways, hopefully i wont be a retard and fuck my windows partition

You absolutely will. Good luck.

Not really, but you can read the Arch installation guide to learn how it's done at least. If you want to remember more follow the instructions in a virtual machine. Only do the arch install once you know what programs and features you actually want, since it's very minimal. Alternatively just install any other distribution and remove software you don't like instead of adding software you like from scratch.

Don't get Manjaro if you want to try Arch. Get something like SwagArch or whatever that installs real Arch

well im doing it as a learning experience. since im just curious.

Your going to have a bad time.

Honestly, just go something Debian and uninstall the de

Manjaro's a solid choice if you don't want to go full Arch. it's got the AUR which is all you really need.

yea i heard manajaro was a fag tier distro for arch and cant find the other distros that installed true arch.
SwagArch wasnt one of them but i remember someone put together a distro that installed packages etc for you but I cant remember the name of it for the life of me.

no you still have to partition out everything (boot, root, home, etc)

my bad im a brainlet. I knew i had to do that manually, just the part with separating a drive into two.

Might I suggest running Arch in a VM if you're a brainlet? At least until you are comfortable with Leenux. It would be really gay/shitty to kill your real OS with the toy one by messing up during partitioning

Grub(the menu that say "boot windows or linux?") is going to be rather intense setting up from a terminal for a new user.

arch isn't hard to install, it's just copying commands from a wiki, mostly. you don't gain significantly more freedom over >learning experience
you won't learn any more than just doing a netinstall on any other distro. you'll learn how to install and configure packages which you can do just by not using a DE

don't install manjaro, literally no point

I've installed linux and fixed a grub failure, but in terms like partitions and stuff. Terminology im absolutely fucking retarded.
I have some experience I suppose.

>more freedom over
more freedom over other distributions

You'll learn more and keep your computer safer by going not arch, and installing a different shell, different wm, and maybe picking up some "suckless" tools by going to the arch wiki as your infomation source.

Half of arch is that wiki being the real information

Just say No to, first time installing linux dual booting arch.