He installs instead of using the portable version

>he installs instead of using the portable version

Attached: LT.png (746x273, 221K)

>he uses the portable version instead of installing

Attached: girlslaughingatyou.jpg (852x640, 52K)

Korean post?

Prove me wrong. Explain why installing is better.

It takes haf a second more to start and that ads up

The significant performance increase.

Pfffffhahahaha

Would always rather have an install.

t. 50k of cracked vsts

Try it yourself.
Get a portable and installed version of a heavy program like Adobe Premiere and use them on a shitty computer (or a VM with limited allocated resources) to make the difference more noticeable.
The installed version will be slow but usable, while the portable will be impossible to use, and much more prone to crashes.

Also the file icons are automatically assigned, which isn't huge but still better than having to assign them manually (possibly with icons downloaded from the Internet, when the original ones aren't available from the portable program).

>use them on a shitty computer (or a VM with limited allocated resources)
See, that's where your problem lies.

Are there portable VSTs?
You mean those russian .bat files that extract a folder into a specific place in your drive and stop working when you move them?
Isn't that basically an installer?

Man, the risk of my children being born with a mental defect scares me shitless.
Thanks for encouraging me to stay childless.

Let me explain for anons. Windows ecosystem is full of degenerates packing software installers with adware, malware, nagware, you need to untick a lot of checkboxes of crap and hope they don't sneak in any shit or add it to autorun (windows ecosystem is minefield of shit).

If software has a portable version, that is often a sign of no-bullshit included, as well as the fact that software does not really need a registry or other shit to function and can be, you can also inspect it, also backuped/archived easily.

Universal Extractor is very useful tool for extracting programs out of installers.
Regshot allows you to record what changes were made between two time periods to register and files.

>The installed version will be slow but usable, while the portable will be impossible to use, and much more prone to crashes.

That is just not true. If you have HDD, install it on C drive (first partition) to have a maximum speed (closest to HDD disk inner edge).

Sorry you are right I should have just said programs, I have a ridiculous amount of vsts many need to be manually installed.
However I have most of the adobe products, moving to the newer versions where the cracks are portable the performance is notably less.
Maybe it’s various factors that I’m not aware of but in my experience install is preferable.

>install it
s/install/extract to folder on disk C:

>his download folder is cluttered with portable programs.

Executables besides installers don't belong there.

you forgot to say “bazinga”

I like portable programs because I don't need to reinstall them every time I do a fresh OS reinstall, but yeah, I do notice a difference in performance.

What music do you make?

All my programs are on C.
The difference that partitions make is nothing compared to the difference of the program being portable.

I am actually waiting for the 3950 and am dreading the whole reinstall process, it’s going to take fucking ages to port everything to a new PC.
Drum and bass, Break Mefjus Noisia style stuff. You?

>using an os that doesnt have software management
>think the solution is just using standalone packages of everything
you do realise thats the slackware way right?

Attached: icon_slogan-1024x597.png (1024x597, 69K)

I used some Acronis tool to move my system to a bigger disk a few years ago. It actually worked (but be careful, my friend managed to fucking wipe everything with it somehow).

Yeah i use everything portable with portableapps, a single click and everything's updated.

>I am actually waiting for the 3950 and am dreading the whole reinstall process, it’s going to take fucking ages to port everything to a new PC.
I feel you.
It's always worth it, but man is it a pain.

>Drum and bass, Break Mefjus Noisia style stuff.
That's cool.
Could you post something?

>You?
I don't make music. I just shitpost on /prod/.

Attached: 1566415066650.webm (1280x720, 2.99M)

Ive already decided I’m just going to do it manually and bite the bullet, my file structures are fucked so it’s for the better anyways.
I don’t share my music online anymore just direct to labels. I used to post on prod a few years ago they used to post the Mozart memes at me kek but they also told me I was retarded for my methods but now I’m making clean tracks at -3 lufs so prod can suck a dick.

Portable installers are great for hosting programs on external drives (I think?) but I would always prefer dedicated installer - although with these cracks it is a case of trusting the source in which case portables are less likely to fuck your shit up without you noticing.

The only difference is in startup time, the rest is exactly the same, unless made with some shitty virtualizing software. Why do programs have to be installed anyway? All the programs I've ever written can be just copied and run from any folder.

I used to do this too, to the point of having my browser a portable in an encrypted drive. Basically made it so that I was mostly installation independent, windows used to break constantly.

Switched to linux tho, not only does it never break, even when you do need to distrohop, its a ridiculously smooth experience; just copy/mount your home dir over, and repos are a blessing. Holy fuck do I not miss having to download shit from random websites.

kill marry fuck

small programs i keep all in a dropbox folder. large programs and ones that mess with appdata and other folders too much i install on device.

Attached: .png (495x701, 49K)

the amount of retards retarding is strong today

Attached: facedesk.gif (500x373, 964K)

Why women cover their mouth when they laugh

>The only difference is in startup time
Well, we're lucky that programs are made oof a single file that gets read on startup, and nothing else, right?

Because according to microsoft’s documentation you’re supposed to use the registry for configuration and not config files for some reason.
Not sure why, and not sure why anyone listens to them, eother.

Because of these things we've had for many decades, and are used extensively in the enterprise, called "roaming profiles".

Obviously your programs are very simple.

>static libraries

Attached: download.jpg (680x680, 85K)

Use portables only if the developer offered it. Don't get a shady custom portable that will give you bullshit, probably.

based

>not installing the docker container

Attached: 1546161896585.png (186x175, 78K)